Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 324 km/h and still pulling hard

How about all the lambos and ferraris that have lit on fire on stock form, surely those were desighned for the autobahn.

Many things can cause a fire(loose oil/fuel fittings etc) however, without sufficient evidence it is very hard what to believe and what not to believe.

Quote:
    turboAD said:
    How about all the lambos and ferraris that have lit on fire on stock form, surely those were desighned for the autobahn.

Many things can cause a fire(loose oil/fuel fittings etc) however, without sufficient evidence it is very hard what to believe and what not to believe.

Those were caused by different factors. The Turbo in question lit up because the excess heat ignited several parts. This isn't something that would cause all those Ferraris to burn up. It's excessive consumption of Chianti and inattention to detail by certain factory workers that caused those cars to go up in flames .

I'm not giving you any unconfirmed information, just facts. Frankly, I couldn't care less who was right or wrong, as we are not offered money for being right .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:
    That is exactly what im trying to find out, whether our cars are fitted with an electronic speed limiter or not. I may be hitting the rev limiter however the pic shows that im hitting around 6500 rpms at max speed.

I got the answer today from my tuner. he has been tuning porsche turbo engines for over 20 years. He said the 997TT has over 12 limiters including rev limiters for each gear and neutral and reverse PLUS a speed limiter.
    The fact that you are hitting a limiter before redline means that your ecu tune did not include a bump of the speed limiter, even if you have a bump of the rev limiter.
    The program I have is supposed to have a bumped rev PLUS speed limiter and the car's top speed would be limited either by drag or redline.
    Frankly, a speed limiter on a TT is a cheap shot from porsche even if it was close to the rev limit.
    Glad I got rid of it.

Honestly, I think your tuner is telling you BS.

As stated by mumbasic each and every 997TT (manual and Tip) should reach a top-speed of 325-326kph (based on speedo). The limit is set by the rev limiter.

If your (tuned) car hits some other limiter this is probably a bug of the package the tuner installed in your car. A frequent problem of less renowned tuners is that their software and hardware updates might be full of flaws and bugs.

Just ask RC about his experience with a cheap tuning product he had in one of his cars years ago...

My personal advice would be to either do no tuning at all or to consult quality producers (like RS, RUF). Such a fine car as the 997TT should get the best upgrade possible

Look, I don't know if your post is in response to mine or turboAD, but I posted the information I got from a reputable US tuner. If you have a problem with that, fine but no need to accuse someone of BS if you are not sure 100%.
    Also, I never said the car's top speed is not limited by the revs, both limiters seem very close that it might be difficult to rule out one or the other as the true limiter. TurboAd has an extended rev limiter but that did not help him because something else was holding the car (speed limiter).
    Tuning a "fine" car like the TT can be risky, I agree, but it if you can't afford the consequences, don't do it. Otherwise do it and enjoy it, I have been enjoying my "not so cheap tune" for over 7000 miles, that's 11000 km for you...

You know, one thing is evident: your tuner does not seem to know that the 997TT (without any tuning) hits the rev limiter at a indicated speed of around 325-326kph (corresponding to a real top speed of 310-311kph).

Now, if he does not know that how could one think that he is a quality tuner?

This is becoming funny , who said the tuner doesn't know about the rev limiter kicking in at redline at an indicated 324km/h or so?, he just said that there is ALSO a speed limiter which will prevent the car from going any faster even with the rev limiter removed. This speed limiter which is present in stock form, can be removed as well.
    I don't think you understood my post and don't confuse my tuner with turboAD's tuner, we have different programs.

aah 986 he simply does not believe that there is a speed limiter.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:
    That is exactly what im trying to find out, whether our cars are fitted with an electronic speed limiter or not. I may be hitting the rev limiter however the pic shows that im hitting around 6500 rpms at max speed.

I got the answer today from my tuner. he has been tuning porsche turbo engines for over 20 years. He said the 997TT has over 12 limiters including rev limiters for each gear and neutral and reverse PLUS a speed limiter.
    The fact that you are hitting a limiter before redline means that your ecu tune did not include a bump of the speed limiter, even if you have a bump of the rev limiter.
    The program I have is supposed to have a bumped rev PLUS speed limiter and the car's top speed would be limited either by drag or redline.
    Frankly, a speed limiter on a TT is a cheap shot from porsche even if it was close to the rev limit.
    Glad I got rid of it.

If you take another look at your post above this should answer your question.

According to your post your tuner told you about a speed limiter that needs to be removed before you can go faster than 324kph... If a standard car reaches 325-326kph at max revs this argument is a bit strange. The problem with Porsche tuners is that many are of average quality while a car like the 997TT requires top-quality tuners

Frankly, I don't see any sense in Porsche installing a speed limiter in addition to the rev limiter. Surely they realize that if you go to a tuner and have your redline raised that removing a puny, additional line of code would be no problem whatsoever. Not really saying that it couldn't happen, but it just doesn't make sense, so I gotta go with Markus on this one.

They might have done it due to tire limitations..in that case it makes sense. The only way to verify is through an official porsche rep.

Quote:
    turboAD said:
    They might have done it due to tire limitations..in that case it makes sense. The only way to verify is through an official porsche rep.

Crash's argument is a very good one: if the car is incapable of going faster than real 310kph (325kph speedo) why would a speed limiter make sense at all? Tires need not be protected by a speed limiter if it is technically impossible to reach a speed in access of 310kph...

P.S.: Let's exclude the unlikely case that a downward sloping Autobahn is steep enough to reach a speed in excess of 310kph in idle mode (thus not using the engine power at all)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

Glad I got rid of it.

According to your post your tuner told you about a speed limiter that needs to be removed before you can go faster than 324kph... If a standard car reaches 325-326kph at max revs this argument is a bit strange. The problem with Porsche tuners is that many are of average quality while a car like the 997TT requires top-quality tuners

MKSGR, I think I know what the problem was with my post to make it confusing to you. When I said the tuned car will be limited by drag or redline, I meant the new redline of 7300 rpm. Of course it doesn't make sense to remove the speed limiter if your rev limiter is stock at 6600 rpm, you will never go faster than 324, 325 or 327 whatever it is, I did not mean a specific number. A car with no rev limiter and no speed limiter would reach a speed of almost 214mph at 7300rpm if it has enough power.
    I agree that it doesn't make sense to have both limiters but there must be a reason if it is true. maybe the speed limiter is not that easy to find/remove as in the case of turboAD whose car now still can't go over 324 or whatever speed he reached, even though in other gears he is redlining at 7000 or so.
    only an official answer from porsche would put an end to our speculations. Maybe someone here can find out

The RS Tuning kit 1 544hp is up and running with a number of cars apparently...... Cargraphic have it priced at 8250Euro on their web site.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    The RS Tuning kit 1 544hp is up and running with a number of cars apparently...... Cargraphic have it priced at 8250Euro on their web site.

Any performance figures? 0-200, 0-300, top speed?

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

Glad I got rid of it.

MKSGR, I think I know what the problem was with my post to make it confusing to you. When I said the tuned car will be limited by drag or redline, I meant the new redline of 7300 rpm. Of course it doesn't make sense to remove the speed limiter if your rev limiter is stock at 6600 rpm, you will never go faster than 324, 325 or 327 whatever it is, I did not mean a specific number. A car with no rev limiter and no speed limiter would reach a speed of almost 214mph at 7300rpm if it has enough power.
    I agree that it doesn't make sense to have both limiters but there must be a reason if it is true. maybe the speed limiter is not that easy to find/remove as in the case of turboAD whose car now still can't go over 324 or whatever speed he reached, even though in other gears he is redlining at 7000 or so.
    only an official answer from porsche would put an end to our speculations. Maybe someone here can find out

Ok, that makes sense

Quote:
    TB993tt said:

Their official web site (www.rs-tuning.de) tells that a first 540hp kit has successfully completed the test phase. More news are announced for the short notice.

Glad things are finally sorted...atleast with all the confusion that has happened

Quote:
    turboAD said:
    Glad things are finally sorted...atleast with all the confusion that has happened

Just an update: I got the answer of another major US tuner (GIAC) and they confirmed the presence of a speed limiter on the TT due to tire rating issues above 200 mph. I also understood that they do not remove that limiter with their tune, for safety reasons. So digitech might have left it alone as well in your case, which explains why you can't go over an indicated 324km/h or so, (real 310km/h).

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

Just an update: I got the answer of another major US tuner (GIAC) and they confirmed the presence of a speed limiter on the TT due to tire rating issues above 200 mph. I also understood that they do not remove that limiter with their tune, for safety reasons. So digitech might have left it alone as well in your case, which explains why you can't go over an indicated 324km/h or so, (real 310km/h).

Very interesting! However, should the limiter be where the tuner says it is, it would only be for safety with the optional MPSC tyres. You can safely remove it with normal tyres.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

Very interesting! However, should the limiter be where the tuner says it is, it would only be for safety with the optional MPSC tyres. You can safely remove it with normal tyres.

I guess you can. This particular tuner (GIAC) just confirmed they will not touch the speed limiter also for liability reasons. I am glad mine is removed, but wait, where can I go over 300km/h in the US ? maybe the salt flats

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

I guess you can. This particular tuner (GIAC) just confirmed they will not touch the speed limiter also for liability reasons. I am glad mine is removed, but wait, where can I go over 300km/h in the US ? maybe the salt flats

Move to Montana and run for governor .

Well i guess that settles alot of the debate thats been goin on lately.

Question : How fast will the 997tt go without the limiter and with the stock gearing

Quote:
    turboAD said:

Question : How fast will the 997tt go without the limiter and with the stock gearing

Not quite... The tuner cited talks about a speed limit at 200mph (320kph). The above discussion was about a car that might have hit a speed limiter at real 310kph (324kph based on speedo)

A standard 997TT will do 325-326kph. The limit here is the rev limiter not a speed limiter.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

Not quite... The tuner cited talks about a speed limit at 200mph (320kph). The above discussion was about a car that might have hit a speed limiter at real 310kph (324kph based on speedo)

A standard 997TT will do 325-326kph. The limit here is the rev limiter not a speed limiter.

Correct, the 200mph was a number he threw in the discussion about tire rating, because when I asked again what will happen if the car has no rev limiter, he said it will hit a wall at real 310km/h or 193mph.
    My conclusion is : the TT does have a speed limiter near stock redline or real 310km/h, we still don't know why. I don't believe it is the tires as there are plenty of tires rated for over 310km/h. Maybe they don't want it too close to the upcoming GT2

Quote:
    turboAD said:

With stock gearing, the TT will reach real 204.7 mph at 7000 rpm and 213.4 mph at 7300rpm, if the power is enough.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

With stock gearing, the TT will reach real 204.7 mph at 7000 rpm and 213.4 mph at 7300rpm, if the power is enough.

So the power is enough under suitable conditions.

I mean is that power(hp) related with Max HP rpm.

For example the car gains its max hp at 6000 rpm. So can it see 6k rpm at last gear. Just want to know if it is related with this.

Quote:
    VGA18 said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

So the power is enough under suitable conditions.

I mean is that power(hp) related with Max HP rpm.

For example the car gains its max hp at 6000 rpm. So can it see 6k rpm at last gear. Just want to know if it is related with this.

we already know that a stock car will reach 6600 rpm in 6th gear, which is beyond peak hp. You don't have to have peak hp at redline to reach it in 6th. Who knows if the stock car can keep revving beyond 6600rpm and how far. I bet it can reach 7000 in 6th without mods.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:

Correct, the 200mph was a number he threw in the discussion about tire rating, because when I asked again what will happen if the car has no rev limiter, he said it will hit a wall at real 310km/h or 193mph.
    My conclusion is : the TT does have a speed limiter near stock redline or real 310km/h, we still don't know why. I don't believe it is the tires as there are plenty of tires rated for over 310km/h. Maybe they don't want it too close to the upcoming GT2

It's probably the tyres. The MPSC tyres aren't rated for more than 310 km/h, but since Porsche offers them as an option, they would be liable for a lawsuit should something happen. That is, if there in fact truly is a limiter.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turboAD said:
    While evo and giac might not take the autobahn into consideration, the the likes of techart,9ff,Digitech and fvd to name but a few take do. These tuners are german based and do take extended high speed runs into consideration.

Im sorry if i was offensive in any way its just that if MKSGR has any problems with any of the tuners he should not claim that they are BSing and go off topic, i posted here to enjoy learning more about my car and to share my findings with others. Owning a ferrari does not make you smarter. Yes it is a georgeous piece of machinery and one of the best driving cars produced to date, but i dont see that having any relevance with the topic.

Trust me, 9ff, Techart and Digitech (they tune Porsches now?) don't really have much of a reputation among german enthusiasts. FVD fares a bit better, but until RS Tuning releases a package, things are to be taken very suspiciously. After all, even Sportec, which is supposed to be a reputable tuner, has had one of its cars light on fire at 310 km/h.

However, for the driving you guys do, a simple chip and exhaust truly won't hurt anything, at least not to a significant degree.

Crash, was the Sportec car that caught fire a 997tt or a 996tt? Do you know the reason it happened?

thanks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM