Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Soon to be 997 Turbo owner - Any advice

Hi,

I'll be taking a delivery of a 997 Turbo at the end of march/beginning of april configured as follows (car is already assembled):

Retail
    2007 911 Turbo Coupe 997 420 Price
    BASE Porsche Base Model 122,900.00
    J2 Lapis Blue Metallic 2,380.00
    J2 Lapis Blue Metallic 0.00
    RA Special Leather Cocoa 430.00
    C02 U.S. Standard/Emissions 0.00
    EAE Alum. Look Pkg Switch Panel 1,550.00
    P01 Adaptive Sport Seats 1,145.00
    XCK Rear Cnt.Cnsl in Aluminum Look 730.00
    XPA Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather 310.00
    220 Axle-Differential Lock Rear 950.00
    342 Heated Front Seats 480.00
    635 Parking Assist System 530.00
    640 Sport Chrono Package Turbo 1,840.00
    425 Rear Window Wiper 0.00
    666 Module for Telephone PCM 960.00
    XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum 250.00
    CXB Door Entry Grds Stl Steel Illu 780.00
    CUJ Fuse Box trim Leather 140.00
    CVW Rear View Mirror Leather 475.00
    XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror 560.00
    XMA A/B Pilar/Roof Liner Leather 1,180.00
    XTV Door Finishers in Leather 360.00
    -------------------------
    Total with Options $ 137,950.00
    DSTCHG Destination Charge 860.00
    Total Charges $ 860.00
    Total Order $ 138,810.00

This will be my first Porsche -- my previous two cars were BMW M3's, but I really don't like the new M5/M6, and I get the feeling that BMW will be taking a direction with the new M3 that I won't like either, so I figured now's a good time to jump ship.

Just curious if anyone has any advice on things to do immediately.

I've ordered a Denison Ice Gateway 500 to integrate with an iPod (planning on installing myself - I've installed changers on my last two cars, can't be too much harder).

I've also asked my dealer to install a clearbra before delivery, and to not install the front plate.

I've installed a Valentine One hardwire kit in my last three cars, so figure I should be able to do that in here as well myself.

Anything else you guys would recommend planning in advance?

Thanks

Re: Soon to be 997 Turbo owner - Any advice

You'll get no advice from me (none to give!) but I will congratulate you on your fantastic spec and I hope you have a good time with the car... welcome to rennteam!

Oh and as always...when you get it go mad with the photos or prepare to be vilified!

I'll also add that the two options I didn't get that I gave a lot of thought to recently....

Deviated stitching ... It wasn't on the list of options offered by my dealer, and I didn't even realize it was an option until my car was built -- I wish I knew as I would have ordered it.

PCCB .... There aren't any "real" tracks anywhere near I live (NYC area), and from everything I've read, it's a real improvement if you drive *real hard* (not possible on any roads around here, and there are no tracks worth talking about), but otherwise it's basically fairly comparable, except they are noisier and (much) more expensive -- I figure ultimately they will be never used in a manner worth talking about -- and if I decide it was a bad idea later, Im sure there will be some opportunity to either install PCCB or something perhaps even better aftermarket.

Congratulations! It's a great car and you will be thrilled with it.

Good move in my opinion on skipping PCCB.

When you get it...let me know and we can go for a ride...I am also in North Jersey. If you want to see my car and go for a spin to help you with the wait let me know .

Why lapis blue? Have you seen it in the metal? I personnaly don't like it. I'd rather have midnight blue. But to each his own.

Congrats. You're a lucky man

There are *very* few Porsche 997's around me (and I've only seen a 997 turbo once or twice on the streets around me) -- Plenty of BMW M3's, and plenty of Bentleys, etc, but for whatever reason, Porsche is just not popular.

The dealership had the tiny painted metal samples, which made the Lapis Blue look similar to the Interlagos Blue I have on my M3, and like. Hopefully I'll still like it when it arrives.

congrats - looks as if the NY Metro 997TT club is growing! I saw a Lapis TT at Manhattan motor cars a few months ago and looked nice. Personally, if I were going blue it would be cobalt. I'm having difficulty picturing it with cocoa though. Have you seen cocoa in person? I'm sure it will look great, just not a combo I've heard before.

also, there are 3 tracks not too far from the city. Lime Rock, Watkins glenn, and pocono.

Are you sure about the aluminium PCM panel?

It's not _that_ different from the stock Volcano Grey. Aluminum DOES seem to make the pesky switches stand out more.

IMO, painted rear center console is a Roadster or Speedster thing; one where bare floor showed because all the weight was stripped out. GT cars might be kept more luxurious.

My us$.02

I saw a Lapis Blue 996TT the other day and thought it looked great. Good luck and congrats!

If this is your first Porsche, why did you buy a 997TT? It is AWD. The 997S probably would be a better choice and certainly a lot cheaper.

It will make the M3's you had feel as if they were sailboats. Join the PCA and take some courses so you can exploit the TT more.

You really owe it to yourself to see Lapis and Cocoa on a car if at all possible. Nice specs, I just think you may be in for a shock when you see it in the flesh.

Go with leather PCM, not aluma. Stunning, though costly.

And we can do a rear console for you anytime, half the price of the factory option.

And start work on deciding which sport exhaust you will want to replace the OEM setup with, combined with a simple ECU remapping for a few more ponies, so your Valentine One will more quickly earn its keep.

Unfortunately -- All options are set in stone, car is built, and on it's way to the usa...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    If this is your first Porsche, why did you buy a 997TT? It is AWD. The 997S probably would be a better choice and certainly a lot cheaper.

I test drove a 997S and found it to be a fun drive, but I was looking for something a bit faster this time around...

Also, I've had a few RWD cars now, looking to change things up a bit. My girlfriend is also always nagging me about AWD making more sense out here

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    And start work on deciding which sport exhaust you will want to replace the OEM setup with, combined with a simple ECU remapping for a few more ponies, so your Valentine One will more quickly earn its keep.

What are the places to look at on sport exhaust/ECU remap?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the standard exhaust leaving a lot to be desired. (at least sound-wise)

All I can say is many congratulations. Hope you enjoy your new car!

if you saw a black 997tt in Bergen County

that was me (maybe)!! - have had my car since June - if you're in Bergen County perhaps you, raclaims and I can meet at Starbucks or someplace

Quote:
    winternyc said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:

What are the places to look at on sport exhaust/ECU remap?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the standard exhaust leaving a lot to be desired. (at least sound-wise)

Here or on 6speedonline.com (they have alot of Porsche aftermarket fans and are more USA-biased than rennteam which is more Euro and world-biased) you can find references and links to the major players in the after market.

The bigger players for exhaust and chip tuning who have worked on/are developing products for the 997TT include Evolution Motorsports, GIAC, AWE Tuning, Fabspeed, Milltek, RUF, Cargraphic, Protomotive, 9ff, RS-Tuning, to name just a few. Many will post here and on the other forums with their own experiences and views on the companies' general reputations.

Sounds nice. As far as 'real' tracks, I beg to differ.
    Watkin Glen is 4hrs away, it's as real as it gets.Lamrock is about an hour, Pocono about an hour as well. Plus, there are tracks being built in S Jersey and Westchester county .

Re: if you saw a black 997tt in Bergen County

Alan...I'm in...if I can get out of the flooding!!!!!

Your cars specifications are very similiar to mine (except the color). I think the aluminum PCM is not going to do much for you but to each his own. I pondered over the leather covered PCM but then I saw the price and passed. Maybe Eric can cover it in black leather? Probably not, but painting it matte black would be interesting? I went with the switch panel package so basically I'm going for the "blacked out" look. I'll see how it goes when it arrives, my car is at least 2 months away. Congradulations, you must be excited!

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    Your cars specifications are very similiar to mine (except the color). I think the aluminum PCM is not going to do much for you but to each his own. I pondered over the leather covered PCM but then I saw the price and passed. Maybe Eric can cover it in black leather? Probably not, but painting it matte black would be interesting? I went with the switch panel package so basically I'm going for the "blacked out" look. I'll see how it goes when it arrives, my car is at least 2 months away. Congradulations, you must be excited!

Ermanno, got an e-mail from dealer yesterday saying they have a sneaking suspicion that my car will be bumped up in production - seems they got a call from their regional rep and TT are being moved up in production. You may also get yours a bit sooner than expected.

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    painting it matte black would be interesting? I went with the switch panel package so basically I'm going for the "blacked out" look.

Heck yes! Exactly what I'm thinking gradyex. The Ideal (for me ) would be to get same finish and color as switches.

Here's some pix:

IMO, this is as good as it gets for that beehive of switches:

Lapis is one of the most wonderful color that Porsche offered, I know as I previously had a 996 C4S in that exact color. I with cocoa interior it's gonna look fantastic.

P.S. Good choice on buying a AWD Turbo, unlike Ferraris nothing is gonna stop you from enjoying your car, dry, rain nor snow is gonna be in the way of driving the car

Quote:
    MMD said:
    IMO, this is as good as it gets for that beehive of switches:

Thats it MMD! Thats what my interior will look like minus the black leather PCM. I think from the looks of it I (or Eric) will finish it off with black satin paint. That ties everything in. The only aluminum in the car will be minimal (door openers, steering wheel, glove box opener and option DAD (Gear lever/ handbrake aluminum). It would of been nice to finish the backs of the sport seats in leather but I reached my limit as far as what I wanted to spend on the car. I'll see what the PCM looks like and if its not bad I might just leave it as is??? I won't know until its in my hands. Thanks MMD for posting that picture! I actually saw a car optioned out like this and really liked it in black. It wouldn't work with some of the other interior color choices, especially brighter colors. IMO.

FWIW, here's another one I found gex:

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    congrats - looks as if the NY Metro 997TT club is growing! I saw a Lapis TT at Manhattan motor cars a few months ago and looked nice. Personally, if I were going blue it would be cobalt. I'm having difficulty picturing it with cocoa though. Have you seen cocoa in person? I'm sure it will look great, just not a combo I've heard before.

also, there are 3 tracks not too far from the city. Lime Rock, Watkins glenn, and pocono.

Mine will be arriving towards the end of April. Add one more to the club!

Look forward to attending Porsche's Driver Education Courses and hopefully meeting some of you there.

Quote:
    mp said:

Mine will be arriving towards the end of April. Add one more to the club!

Look forward to attending Porsche's Driver Education Courses and hopefully meeting some of you there.

Dammit, I wish the feeling were mutual. I'd be there with my mere 997S having to meet you lucky guys with your Turbos.

Doesn't yet seem to matter that I'm gonna trade up to TT in a year or so...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688410 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408648 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255492 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234739 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773269 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM