Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Running in 997 C2S

Hi all,

I pick up my 997 C2S tomorrow - so excited!

Just wondering if the car needs running in/keeping below certain revs/speeds for any given amount of time after pick up?

Any ideas?

Thanks

James

Re: Running in 997 C2S

Congrats - yes it does.

Keep it below 4200rpm for the first 3000km, varying engine speeds and gears. Don't drive it with higher revs before the oil temperature has reached at least 90C. Try to go on longer trips if possible. Don't let engine warm up through idling.

These are the main basics. You can search here for more details. Best of luck.

Thanks mate, I'll bear all that in mind!

First 50-miles should be gentle, but start to increase after that.

4200rpm ceiling is to discourage people from ringing the cars neck from day-1 i.e. sustained high-speed cruising, with high engine load.

No biggie using more revs in short bursts.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    ...Don't let engine warm up through idling.

I read that for the first time in a similar post only recently. Care to elaborate?

If an engine is started from cold and left idling, the engine oil doesn't circulate as effectively, also taking longer to warm - both bad for engine.

Right, so where do we stand on this then?

Keep it religiously below 4,200rpm for the first 1500 miles

or

just take it gently for first 50 to make sure everything is bolted together properly and then ok to cain it every now and again?

Or should I just ask my friendly salesman at my OPC and see what he says?

Just had a call to say I can collect at 3pm tomorrow

Depends if your definition of "cain" tends more towards "drive it like you stole it"

I'd have to draw the line at a friendly spanking every now and again

VARY ENGINE SPEED. Shift alot. Shift when you do not have to shift.

Apparently the first few hundred miles are most important for getting piston rings seated. Dull, monotonous, same speed driving is bad for this first 200 miles.

The rest is up to you.

Porsche's breakin reccos are not the Word Of God. If I remember correctly they differ from country to country.

Most Porschephiles would agree this plan is conservative but fine: Keep it under 4200 for first 800-1000 miles, keep it under 5200rpm for next 1000-1500 miles. After 1500 miles feel free to hit redline now and then.

Or be like a fanatic, fear the Word Of God and strictly follow Porsche's reccos.

Here we go again...the all too familiar debate about whether it's really necessary to adhere to what the Owner's Manual says or whether it's okay to do what you want.

It's your car and your money so it's your choice. Are you qualified to know what is or what isn't necessary?

These issues have been discussed ad nauseam on other threads. I suggest you search for them rather than exhuming this dead donkey yet again and beating it to death one more time...

Here's BMW's breakin _"procedures"_. Compare to Porsche's breakin _"hints"_.

Notice first thing BMW stresses is "vary vehicle and engine speeds constantly." Porsche has no mention of this concept. Funny that common gearhead knowledge is piston rings seat in the first few hundred miles so it's very impt to vary engine speeds to seat them.

Regarding the perennial debate: everybody should do the research on the boards (like this post) and decide how to break in by yourself. Porsche's breakin "hints" seem written by marketing people.

Here's my BMW M3 (E46) owner's manual break in "procedures." M3 also a high perf engine.

Compare to Porsche's breakin _"hints"_:

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll probably just take it reasonably steady for the first 500/1000 miles with the occasional blast

Just do your RTFM homework on p16!

Key words "hints" and "tips", kinda like "don't swim on a full belly....

If you follow the "hints" religiously, you'll be fine.

If you don't, well, I've yet to hear of a pandemic of flat-6 explosions or failures, and I've gotta guess-timate that 60-70% of new 997 owners don't follow the suggested "hints" hardly at all.. Alot of them don't even read the manual except to figure out the radio.

New 997's that dealerships use as demonstrators get flogged and redlined almost full-time right out of the box, with zero break-in procedure adhered to. Then, when they're done showing several hundred prospective customers how fast these cars are, they plop it on their used lot complete with factory warranty, no sweat.. So the dealerships, and the factory that knows that they are using particular cars as demonstrators, surely aren't losing sleep over it.

I'd say TRY to be as nice as you can, and call it insurance...

Does anyone know if Porsche wants x miles on a GT3 bfore tracking the car?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Here we go again...the all too familiar debate about whether it's really necessary to adhere to what the Owner's Manual says or whether it's okay to do what you want.

It's your car and your money so it's your choice. Are you qualified to know what is or what isn't necessary?

These issues have been discussed ad nauseam on other threads. I suggest you search for them rather than exhuming this dead donkey yet again and beating it to death one more time...

Easy Easy_Rider

Imagine how quiet the boards would be without these threads.

Kinda like:

- Should I got Tip of Manual?
    - Should I go povo' or S?
    - Is 4 better than 2?
    - Do I go full leather?
    - Should I body colour code the glove box interior left latch?
    - Should I get the stiching around the back seats in white?

All good wholesome questions.

I agree. It's just a hobby and the questions are going to be the "same," as far as we "old timers" are concerned.

The new guys are really excited to learn stuff about their cars and excited to discuss the issues; of course there's gonna be overlap.

Anyway, there's another board which jumps all over guys who ask the "same" question; very nasty and missing the point IMO.

My suggestion: you new guys do a few searches and then if you still don't have an answer don't hesitate to ask.

Besides, I kinda like helping people.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I agree. It's just a hobby and the questions are going to be the "same," as far as we "old timers" are concerned.

The new guys are really excited to learn stuff about their cars and excited to discuss the issues; of course there's gonna be overlap.

Anyway, there's another board which jumps all over guys who ask the "same" question; very nasty and missing the point IMO.

My suggestion: you new guys do a few searches and then if you still don't have an answer don't hesitate to ask.

Besides, I kinda like helping people.

Well put. That approach is why I like this board.

m3 engine

This is OT but I realized the 2006 bmw m3 has a 3.2L I6 with 333 hp output, while the 997 has a larger 3.6l f6 with 325 hp. Even if it may have a better exhaust system its still a much smaller engine with more power. does this mean the bmw has a more advanced engine than the 911?

Re: m3 engine

Sorry guys - I was a bit ratty yesterday - was having a rough day

I do definitely understand Easy Rider's points, yet we have to admit that not all newbies have either the time to spend or kinda access to the right resources/knowledge as to familiarize themselves with the bits and pieces of P-cars, that com'on guys, aren't space science

Anyway, a bit of homework prior to submitting any 'same' questions would by any means contribute to the pace and the value of this board at speed light, don't you see?

Hey hey hey! Don't jump on easy..his posts are always informative and he was merely alerting the 'newer' member to the presence of more detailed literature in the forum archives (albiet in a slightly frosty manner!)

As for jumping all over people for re:posts.....thats what the OT board is for/ re-occuring timewarp pyramid conspiricy thread...!

Quote:
    xbox said:
    If an engine is started from cold and left idling, the engine oil doesn't circulate as effectively, also taking longer to warm - both bad for engine.

Ah - cheers.

Quote:
    jamesaug said:
    Hey hey hey! Don't jump on easy..his posts are always informative and he was merely alerting the 'newer' member to the presence of more detailed literature in the forum archives

Agreed No problem.

Quote:
    jerry83 said:
    This is OT but I realized the 2006 bmw m3 has a 3.2L I6 with 333 hp output, while the 997 has a larger 3.6l f6 with 325 hp. Even if it may have a better exhaust system its still a much smaller engine with more power. does this mean the bmw has a more advanced engine than the 911?

No, it does not. You're comparing two totally different configurations, and leaving out fuel efficiency. Displacement and stroke and head/intake design and induction are all just ways of "getting the job done" but when it comes down to brass tacks, the real litmus of advanced and/or superior engine technology, is how much useable power you can wring out of a mill using the least amount of fuel, and also toss into the equation, the least amount of emissions...

The enormous 6.0 LS2 engine in the Corvette is actually a cleaner, and more fuel/power efficient mill, than the Porsche flat-6. Yes, it's using a ton of displacement, and an ancient basic architecture (but isn't the flat-6 fairly old-tech?), but it's the execution that counts. What really counts, no matter HOW you arrive at your power, since there's an almost infinite list of recipes an engineer can follow, is the power you get for the air and fuel you use, and how cleany-efficiently it burns that air and fuel.

I lose my mind when people put all their emphasis on how much power you can get from how little displacement. There's SO much more to the "goal" than that. What you're looking for is efficiencies in power and consumption and emissions, HOWEVER that is achieved, using WHATEVER combination of displacement and technology works best to achieve it. When I look at a Chevy 6.0 V8, or a Porsche 3.6 flat-6, or a Honda 4, I find myself immensely impressed by them all, as they are all achieving leading-edge results and ratios with completely different design approaches.

Also, realize that different architectures are used for their packaging requirements, not because the manufacturer necessarily considered them "superior" from a pure power-making standpoint. Whatever mill you go with, it has to fit in the car in the place you wish to cram it.

Chevy sticks with OHV motors, because you can achieve enormous displacement in a very compact package, affording them a low cowl-height. That IS the reason that they aren't running OHC. It's not that they're behind the times (They've got the Northstar after all), it's because OHV would muck up the packaging and goal-parameters.

Hey 69B9!

What do you think, reliability-over-time-wise, about getting alot of HP from a small displacement?

I often wonder if I should get rid of my "highly-stressed" E46 2004 M3. I think I'd feel better if the car had a larger-displacement Chevy V8 in it, longevity-wise.

Do 3.6 Porsche Turbo guys get more worried than Z06 guys that their engines will age faster?

Seems like it would be better to buy the C2S with 70K miles over the Porsche Turbo with 70K miles (same years).

Is this obviously the 'correct' way to think on this issue of HP/Displacement?

Quote:
    MMD said:I often wonder if I should get rid of my "highly-stressed" E46 2004 M3. I think I'd feel better if the car had a larger-displacement Chevy V8 in it, longevity-wise.

I don't think it's safe to draw any general conclusions from it, but with regard to the BMW S54 engine in particular I think it's wise. One of the big reasons I'm in a C2S now and not my old M Roadster is because the warranty on the S54 engine was due to expire this year. The first engine blew up (details here) and I never really felt confident about the second one. That engine in particular seems to be a wringing a bit too much power out of 3.2L to enjoy the durability I'd prefer.

Nugget, nice record keeping! I don't know if I could stand the uncertainty I imagine you had with the new engine. What a PITA.

Any idea of how much would the new engine have cost you (parts and labor)? I've had zero problems with my 04M3. If the your roadster was assembled in USA can that be to blame for your troubles? (I tend to think so). M cars are assembled in Europe, right? Plain roadsters assembled in USA?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689553 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM