Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Top Gear to drive 997TT...

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    It was Atomic's car and he asked not to have the car trashed

Nick, you're not gonna stop picking on me are you?

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Thanks a lot Coochas! You're the man

Did we ever find out why they did not turn the car over to the Stig? Lp640 was just tested and did amazing!

Quite simply the guy/ or gal that owned it/ lent the car to TG didn't want to have it raped around the track... a simillar thing occured with the MC12 in an earlier series however they managed to get around it by having the owner and not the ''regular'' stig drive the car...I suspect thats why it was markedly quicker than the enzo..a more powerfull, faster and better sprung car on a virtually identical chassis...A friend of mine actually owns the countach that Top Gear used in the studio for that shoot and he refused to let JC brutalise the car on the airstrip.. in fact the TG boys have a history of causing damage to rare/priceless exotics..!

Quote:
    jamesaug said:
    Quite simply the guy/ or gal that owned it/ lent the car to TG didn't want to have it raped around the track... a simillar thing occured with the MC12 in an earlier series however they managed to get around it by having the owner and not the ''regular'' stig drive the car...I suspect thats why it was markedly quicker than the enzo..a more powerfull, faster and better sprung car on a virtually identical chassis...A friend of mine actually owns the countach that Top Gear used in the studio for that shoot and he refused to let JC brutalise the car on the airstrip.. in fact the TG boys have a history of causing damage to rare/priceless exotics..!

So I take it that they aren't going to get a Veyron to test around the track any time soon ?

Actually, Porsche Cars GB has a fleet of press vehicles that they routinely let magazine journalists and TV shows test out. These cars are kept at PCGB Reading and are serviced and maintained by Porsche Centre Reading. I would be very surprised indeed if Top Gear had to borrow a private individual's 997TT. I would normally expect PCGB to let Top Gear use one of their press fleet. A 997TT is hardly a rare vehicle.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Actually, Porsche Cars GB has a fleet of press vehicles that they routinely let magazine journalists and TV shows test out. These cars are kept at PCGB Reading and are serviced and maintained by Porsche Centre Reading. I would be very surprised indeed if Top Gear had to borrow a private individual's 997TT. I would normally expect PCGB to let Top Gear use one of their press fleet. A 997TT is hardly a rare vehicle.

If that truly is the case, it is strange indeed.

Exactly - I simply for the life of me couldn't understand why Top Gear didn't take the 997TT round its airfield track.

But then, Top Gear always does things I never understand when it comes to Porsche. For instance, have you noticed how every single bloody time a Porsche is supposed to go round the track, it's always f*cking raining? It's almost as if they want the conditions to be as unfavourable as possible.

Top Gear still hasn't put the new 997 GT3 to the test around its track either...simply pathetic if you ask me.

But then, Top Gear is an Emmy award winning 'entertainment' show and not a serious car enthusiasts programme. Plus Jeremy Clarkson truly hates Porsche, German automobile manufacturers (because of their assistance to the Nazis in WW2) and the kind of people that buy Porsches...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Exactly - I simply for the life of me couldn't understand why Top Gear didn't take the 997TT round its airfield track.

But then, Top Gear always does things I never understand when it comes to Porsche. For instance, have you noticed how every single bloody time a Porsche is supposed to go round the track, it's always f*cking raining? It's almost as if they want the conditions to be as unfavourable as possible.

Top Gear still hasn't put the new 997 GT3 to the test around its track either...simply pathetic if you ask me.

But then, Top Gear is an Emmy award winning 'entertainment' show and not a serious car enthusiasts programme. Plus Jeremy Clarkson truly hates Porsche, German automobile manufacturers (because of their assistance to the Nazis in WW2) and the kind of people that buy Porsches...

Anti-Porsche bias is dfinitely present when looking at Clarkson's attitude towards Porsche. Talk about holding a grudge . It's a shame, really, since it is very rare to see so many competing cars, driven by the same driver, driven on the same track. Even if Top Gear is an entertainment show (but probably useful, with all the tree-hugging anti-speed campaigners in the UK), every one of us wants for his favorite car to be tested by Top Gear and have a go around their test track. Of course, it's still just entertainment, but I think such overly biased behaviour, as displayed by JC, is actually hindering the show from becoming more than mere entertainment - an informative and UNBIASED car show, while retaining the fun factor of Top Gear would be a winner.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Jeremy Clarkson truly hates ... German automobile manufacturers (because of their assistance to the Nazis in WW2)...

Not strictly true. He loves Mercs, promotes them all the time and even gave more time to the Brabus tuned SL than he did to the 997 TT He also raved about the MkV Golf GTi when it was launched if you remember. He just has a thing about Porsche.... I think they are simply too perfect for him.

Quote:
    He just has a thing about Porsche.... I think they are simply too perfect for him.

It isn't like this in my opinion... He tolks against P cars very often, but this is the idea of the show - three men; three viewing points...
    And if you remember - JC has a whole movie "JC Top 100 Cars Ever" and 911 Turbo is in.... second place First was the Jaguar E type

Quote:
    Crash said:
    .....I think such overly biased behaviour, as displayed by JC, is actually hindering the show from becoming more than mere entertainment - an informative and UNBIASED car show,

The ironic part of this story is that before JC came along, Top Gear already was an unbiased car show, and I personally found it more entertaining then, instead of nauseating.

A lot of TG's current viewers probably do not realize that Tiff Needell used to one of its presenters.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    .....I think such overly biased behaviour, as displayed by JC, is actually hindering the show from becoming more than mere entertainment - an informative and UNBIASED car show,

The ironic part of this story is that before JC came along, Top Gear already was an unbiased car show, and I personally found it more entertaining then, instead of nauseating.

A lot of TG's current viewers probably do not realize that Tiff Needell used to one of its presenters.

I will never, EVER, forget the review of that lapis blue Turbo that he did. Still have it on my hard drive even after five years .

A lot of people don't know that Steve Coogan's brother AND Noel Edmunds used to present top gear...Ive ceased to see it as a serious car reviews show though..its just light entertainment...i mean to be honest its mostly bloody funny but there is only so much blowing up caravans one can take!

5th gears problem is that every episode seems to be entirely homogenous...although Tiff's review of the f430 spyder near made me sell my organs and gamble the money on roulette..

Anyone else feel the same?

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Jeremy Clarkson truly hates ... German automobile manufacturers (because of their assistance to the Nazis in WW2)...

Not strictly true. He loves Mercs, promotes them all the time and even gave more time to the Brabus tuned SL than he did to the 997 TT He also raved about the MkV Golf GTi when it was launched if you remember. He just has a thing about Porsche.... I think they are simply too perfect for him.

I respect your view but I'm still not convinced by it.

JC sees Porsche as having been the main German automobile collaborator with Hitler so Porsche always comes in for the most acute criticism from him. AFAIK Porsche designed the VW Beetle which was Hitler's "People's car".

JC repeats the mantra that people who buy a BMW "have no imagination" whenever he gets the chance. Why? Part of it is because BMW provided aero engines to the Luftwaffe when they bombed Britain in WW2.

IMO the only factor that ever influences JC into momentarily disguarding his anti-German bias is power. JC is addicted to cars that produce prodigious bhp. That's why he treats the M5 and M6 so differently from every other BMW.

That's also why he likes the AMG versions of Mercs so much even though he is forever criticising Mercs for having too complicated electronics which go wrong. Remember the previous episodes where he would mock the S Class speech recognition software for misunderstanding his voice commands?

Yes, he loves the latest Golf (again because of performance and because it is truer to the original Golf than previous incarnations) and he lauds the cutting edge safety technology in the new S Class (like a window on what cars of the future will all have).

He's not a big fan of Audis except if they are RS versions.

I'm sorry to go on but my point is that JC instinctively dislikes German cars (because they are made by companies which helped Hitler against Britain and because they are all about engineering - which he doesn't understand, finds boring and doesn't have time for - rather than passion and flair - which he associates with Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Lamborghini) UNLESS they are 'redeemed' by having prodigious power. I think people who can't understand (and therefore appreciate) the beauty of engineering instead are impressed by the aspects that their minds can penetrate e.g. the styling, the exhaust noise. Guess who springs to mind here on rennteam?

JC has become more and more IMO an advocate for traditional Britain as he has aged and he harks back to WW2 frequently.

I wish he would realise that the Germans of today have nothing to do with the terrible, unspeakable acts of the Nazis.

Germany has gone out of its way to apologise and atone for what it did in WW2. Other countries (like Japan) still don't teach their own school children about the terrible atrocities their military committed in WW2 or against the Chinese when they invaded Manchuria in 1931. Neither the Japanese Government nor the Japanese Emperor has ever formally apologised for their war crimes against the British in WW2 in Burma.

I think ive had this conversation before on another thread..eitherway, JC is not renowned for his subtley,
    nor his tact in dealing with issues like the war/race...

Easy you are quite right he is obsessed with power..and has become almost a parody of his former self:

"this car is styled by dog-eating koreans, powered by jack-booted germans and sold by the cheese-loving surrender-monkeys over there in france...but my god it goes; woof woof."

Yep, I was especially taken aback by his "dog-eating Korean" remark on national TV. It's just ignorant racism. Anyway, I thought it was the Philippines (not South Korea) where people eat dogs...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Germany has gone out of its way to apologise and atone for what it did in WW2. Other countries (like Japan) still don't teach their own school children about the terrible atrocities their military committed in WW2 or against the Chinese when they invaded Manchuria in 1931. Neither the Japanese Government nor the Japanese Emperor has ever formally apologised for their war crimes against the British in WW2 in Burma.

I wonder why he doesn't berate the Italian sports car makers? After all, Ferrari helped the fascists during the war and they attacked British forces in North Africa, attacked France and the Balkans, never apologized for it (similar state to Japan, as in most Italians don't know they were the aggressor in WW2) and they tortured and killed British POWs. No, there must be more than that, unless he is just really unknowledgable when it comes to history .

This pilgramage through history has taught us at least one thing,we are collectively trying to arrive at liberty and no matter who acheives victory in any particular theatre...we should learn from history. The collective soul of the western world has been bought with sacrifice. On this we stand and hope to arrive at a better humanity...with history ever present in the rear veiw mirror as a constant reminder of what was bought. No doubt we have learned from our past but our challenges are probably today more environmental that idealogical.
    The japanesse paid a price for their contribution to our collective understanding...study the toll they they paid just prior to the atomic age...their cities were burned without mercy. Personally I think they apologized although few words were spoken. The documentary "The Fog of war" adequately chronicles the price they paid.

http://www.japanvisitor.com/index.php?cID=367&pID=411&cName=Film&pName=film-fog-of-war

Japan is a peaceful highly productive democracy, in my view, no apologies required. No offense intended here...cheers,

Off topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6418337.stm

Comfort women are all voluntary?

Huge difference between the way the Germans deal with the war compared to the Japanese in my opinion.

Re: Off topic

Who give's a monkies what 3 comedians think about cars , Top Gear is a comedy show and thats it , even there track times in diff weather condtions on diff days mean Stuff !! i will only ever listen to presenters on TV who 1 / Can Drive 2/ are objective 3/ who do not get deals to drive certain cars !! Porsche would not give clarkson the time of day if he asked for a discount ? Its a shame that Plato and Needell ended up on 5th gear esp now they have 2 other idiots VBH and that soccer AM pillock ( excuse) on the show , Needel left topgear because of JC ^%&%( about !. Anyway got that off my back LOL just hope i meet JC on the road or the Cball this year In his Lambo ( now ownned by Porsche ! LOL )

is Stig having a holiday?
    Why didn't he run the 997t on the lap.
    will top gear time it sooner or later?
    You know,that is one of the most important part of TOp Gear!

Anyone else cringe when JC slammed the front bonnet closed?!

There was no sign at all of dropping it down then pressing below the badge to close. Saying that though, the clip does cut there so perhaps they just cut that out?!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Anyone else cringe when JC slammed the front bonnet closed?!

There was no sign at all of dropping it down then pressing below the badge to close. Saying that though, the clip does cut there so perhaps they just cut that out?!

I saw that too LOL!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753436 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430884 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258675 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255524 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868462 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802089 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM