Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Japanese Automakers are seriously entering the

high perf. sport car market. An Infinity sport car with 500hp?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070228/FREE/70226015/1528/FREE

Re: Japanese Automakers are seriously entering the

Yup, with the next NSX and Supra on the way the Z06 faces serious competition in the bang for the buck category.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Yup, with the next NSX and Supra on the way the Z06 faces serious competition in the bang for the buck category.

With the quality of Infinity, why would anyone buy a Porsche assuming performance is as good if not better than the 911?

LOL.. well the GTR is targeting the TT so it should outperform the N/A 911s. In that case performance will be greater than your F430 also with way better quality. I will then ask you... why would anyone buy the 430 using the same logic?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

With the quality of Infinity, why would anyone buy a Porsche assuming performance is as good if not better than the 911?

Why are you asking questions to which you already know the answer...

The NSX that was on the paper MUCH better than the 911 has been a fiasco .... I'm not sure the upcoming one will sell better.

The Nissan 350Z has never been a serious competitor to the Boxster...

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    LOL.. well the GTR is targeting the TT so it should outperform the N/A 911s. In that case performance will be greater than your F430 also with way better quality. I will then ask you... why would anyone buy the 430 using the same logic?

Exclusivity, styling, sound and passionate driving experience. Porsche is only about performance (not that there is anything wrong with that ).

Eric, don't under esitmate the Japanese perf. cars. Of late they have started to make full commitments to succeed in this market area. Tiff Needal was blown away by the 360Z. However, it was never designed to compete with the 911. They sadly placed it in a nether land which did not attract the market buying Porsche's. They have learned and make no mistake if the Infinity is priced right, it will cut into Porsche sales.

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

The NSX that was on the paper MUCH better than the 911 has been a fiasco .... I'm not sure the upcoming one will sell better.

I saw the NSX at it's world premier in Chicago in 1989, when it was a bigger deal than the Detroit show now . Acura reps walked around the floor boasting it would change the exotic market as well as strongly challenge the 911 . Yes and no , from Acura's standpoint. It never sold well , BUT , it did force Ferrari and other low volume makers to improve build quality , reliabilty , everyday usabilty and incorporate modern technology -not just peddle the rarity angle - so it has been influential.
    Compare a 1990 Ferrari 348 tb to a current F430 . The former car seems like it was built on a FIAT truck assembly line.
    BTW, this was the same show and year that world premiered the Lexus brand ( LS400 ) , Infiniti brand ( Q45 ) and new Miata to a sceptical but curious American buyer . The Lexus was aimed at Oldsmobile buyers and the Infiniti was aimed at BMW buyers, per their marketing people . BMWs were big in California's Marin County so Infiniti's first ad campaign was aimed at New Age types , with ads not showing cars but streams and pebbles . Lexus marketed their iron the old fashioned way . The Infiniti was by far the better car, but they to this day have never recovered from shooting themselves in the foot for that premier campaign. Lexus pulled away with their purposefully designed American buyer preferred soft, quiet, average performing and comfy cars . The 80s were the decade of the mighty Japanese economy and they brought these cars to America's heartland to stick it to the Detroit makers .
    One more note. At the Infiniti premier , execs first pronounced it " In-fin-NEE-tee " , as if Italian . They later changed pronunciation to " Infinity " because marketing thought the former would confuse the buyer from it's origin.
    Same with Hyundai . Originally sold here pronounced properly as " he-YOON -die " , but changed by American marketing to " Hun-day " to sound like Honda and Sunday , less " asian ".

Quote:
    nberry said:
    high perf. sport car market. An Infinity sport car with 500hp?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070228/FREE/70226015/1528/FREE

Nberry,
    The GT-R isn't going to badged as an Infiniti. Its going to be Nissan worldwide, those words coming from Carlos Chosen himself

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    EricAlain said:

I saw the NSX at it's world premier in Chicago in 1989, when it was a bigger deal than the Detroit show now . Acura reps walked around the floor boasting it would change the exotic market as well as strongly challenge the 911 .

I'm also old enough to remember 1989.
    That was the year every Japanese car manufacturer and his dog were taking exotic super sports show cars around all the major Salons. Why, even Isuzu, Yamaha and Subaru (under the name Fuji, if I remember correctly) had multi-cylinder, multi-liter 2 seater or 2+2 seater sports cars on their stands.

So it's just a case of "deja vu", as they say in San Diego.

The NSX never sold that well because people who pay big $$$ want big HP numbers (espcially Americans), and that's just the way it is...

I am very skeptical on big HP Japenese cars...500hp is great, just not in some overweigh G35 that weights 3600+lbs. The reason the Z06 does so well for example, is not it's HP, it's the fact that it weights less than most cars in it's class. 3100lbs AND 500HP is pretty tough to beat.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    EricAlain said:

I saw the NSX at it's world premier in Chicago in 1989, when it was a bigger deal than the Detroit show now . Acura reps walked around the floor boasting it would change the exotic market as well as strongly challenge the 911 .

That was the year every Japanese car manufacturer and his dog were taking exotic super sports show cars around all the major Salons. Why, even Isuzu, Yamaha and Subaru (under the name Fuji, if I remember correctly) had multi-cylinder, multi-liter 2 seater or 2+2 seater sports cars on their stands.

Fritz, Porsche almost went under in the late 80's and early 90's. However, with the help of the Japanese they made a miraculous recovery. What makes you think that the Japanese cannot help themselves?

BTW, I believe the weight issue is a point well made. We have no idea what the car will weigh but I suspect if they are going through the cost and expense to equip the car with a 500hp and compete in the high perf. sport car market, they will deliver on performance.

I also suspect that in light of Porsche brand dilution they will crank a similar number of GT-R's as the 911. Nissan has to be thinking, "if Porsche is making all this money and we showed them how, why can't we?"

The screw is turning.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    EricAlain said:

Fritz, Porsche almost went under in the late 80's and early 90's. However, with the help of the Japanese they made a miraculous recovery. What makes you think that the Japanese cannot help themselves?

BTW, I believe the weight issue is a point well made. We have no idea what the car will weigh but I suspect if they are going through the cost and expense to equip the car with a 500hp and compete in the high perf. sport car market, they will deliver on performance.

I also suspect that in light of Porsche brand dilution they will crank a similar number of GT-R's as the 911. Nissan has to be thinking, "if Porsche is making all this money and we showed them how, why can't we?"

The screw is turning.

I'm sure someone else can shed more light on this, but for a start it was Toyota who taught Porsche streamline the manufacturing of their cars, not how to build them.

And the last who showed who how to make a good handling car? Nissan sent their 350z to Porsche for tuning it up to a proper handling car

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

Have you been inside an Infiniti? Boring cars to the max. Please they use some cheap glue that makes me sick.

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

Why are you asking questions to which you already know the answer...

The same goes for why do you buy a Ferrari when there are some Porsches that are faster and with equal quality if not better.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Porsche is only about performance (not that there is anything wrong with that ).

are you sure about that?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688294 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234721 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65350 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773219 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM