Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Joost:
    RC:
    throt:
    bluelines:

Gloves on. Don't want to hurt him. Or get banned indecision

You'll break yu nails , buddy Smiley Smiley..Smiley..

Smiley Smiley

C'mon guys...we all have chest hair (...or do we? Smiley Smiley).

We do, but do you have hair on your nails? Smiley You're really not a real man if you don't have hair on your nails... Smiley

Oh boy, I guess I have to pass on this one... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Joost:
    RC:
    throt:
    bluelines:

Gloves on. Don't want to hurt him. Or get banned indecision

You'll break yu nails , buddy Smiley Smiley..Smiley..

Smiley Smiley

C'mon guys...we all have chest hair (...or do we? Smiley Smiley).

We do, but do you have hair on your nails? Smiley You're really not a real man if you don't have hair on your nails... Smiley

Oh boy, I guess I have to pass on this one... Smiley Smiley

Smiley,,

I have a look, Joost. Smiley.....Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

RC:
    throt:

Not sure, buddy. I remember when blue posted pice of him and his new arrivals . He didn't look too hairy, did he surprise..

Typical Swiss boy indecision..

You mean Swedish, right? 

I love my Swedes hairless (well, in the "right" regions). Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Blonde Swede girlies,, definitely no bush Smiley Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Whoopsy:

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/mclaren-oil-spill-causes-10-car-crash-and-closes-the-nuerburgring-early/

That Z4 driver was an idiot and the others in front of him are to blame for not using the hazard lights... (looking at the video and the low speed of those in front of the Z4, I think they noticed the oil spill earlier) Smiley

One reason I'm not such a big fan of the Nordschleife: "Usual" tracks (Nordschleife is basically a public road, not a track) are safer and you don't have to worry too much about similar incidents.

--

Hazard lights: Yes, use them!

I have "modified" my hazard light switch so i just can put my hand down and activate it without needing to look for it (It sits is sooo stupid in the center console of the 991's - 997: much better.) . This situation is a good example of where loosing 0.5s looking for the switch makes a difference.

Z4: Not sure he is an idiot. Maybe a bit unexperienced.

Note how fast Thilo reacts and turns on the hazard lights. (He's got thousands of laps on the ring.)

Kobalt:

Hazard lights: Yes, use them!

Smiley

I have "modified" my hazard light switch so i just can put my hand down and activate it without needing to look for it (It sits is sooo stupid in the center console of the 991's - 997: much better.) . This situation is a good example of where loosing 0.5s looking for the switch makes a difference.

Z4: Not sure he is an idiot. Maybe a bit unexperienced.

When you are unexperienced, you go slower. Smiley If you drive with a knife between your teeth and don't pay attention to the traffic in front of you, well... Smiley I bet that Z4 driver was paying more attention to what is going on behind him than in front of him. Smiley He lost maybe half a second of reaction time because he wasn't paying attention, it is quite noticeable from the video. Also, he should take a driver's ed course to learn how to brake (but I assume he had his ESP turned off as well, so...).

Note how fast Thilo reacts and turns on the hazard lights. (He's got thousands of laps on the ring.)

Yes, he is experienced but also apparently not an idiot. Smiley Although...in his shoes, I would have applied the brake much  harder and would have slowed down faster. He basically drove over the debris...Smiley Maybe he had a car or more cars behind him, so he couldn't, difficult to tell.

Of course it is always "easy" to judge from a computer screen Smiley but I really think that Z4 driver made a few mistakes.

--

Of course it is always "easy" to judge from a computer screen Smiley but I really think that Z4 driver made a few mistakes.

Obviously Smiley

RC:

Of course it is always "easy" to judge from a computer screen Smiley

Not much to add... by the way, that was the outcome a bit later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax8p55NXmK4&app=desktop

Not pretty.

Ferdie:
    RC:

Of course it is always "easy" to judge from a computer screen Smiley

Not much to add... by the way, that was the outcome a bit later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax8p55NXmK4&app=desktop

Not pretty.

Ouch...indeed. Smiley

--

I drove the 720S yesterday - country roads and some highway . Much of my comments will echo those you have heard elsewhere. Astonishing performance/ acceleration in all driving modes. Noticeably less lag than in the 650S - though sum of this is due to better gearbox software I am sure. The gearbox holds the  lower gear for much longer in Sport mode than previously and Comfort which I never use is real life, is  exactly that  - very civilised and smooth.The steering feel and weight has improved over the 650S and I would say the LT as well. Just shows you the benefits of staying hydraulic. Also improved is the suspension feel over imperfections in the road surface. Prior McLarens made you think the axle was going to break (though it didn't of course!). Brake feel has also finely caught up with other manufacturers - it is now much more progressive rather then the binary on off feel before. The seating position and view over the road in front is unparalleled in this market segment as before. The new dash is clear and easily configurable to personal  preferences. The folding down in track mode is more than a gimmick  - it really does make sense. They have also finally found a solution for the interminable length of time it takes to get the front lift to work with the steering stalk  - this was a nightmare on the LT which has a very low front and so needed lifting regularly. However, they really should have a dedicated button like Ferrari /Porsche/ Lamborghini. The glass roof gives a lovely airy feel to the cabin. I still feel the cabin feels less special in leather than a Ferrari for instance, something about McLarens lends them much more to an alcantara finish. Looks are one's own preference, but in terms of performance and everyday usability this car is a major leap forwards . I would say it is easily the market leader in its segment for now. The "Turbo S" of mid - engined exotics. Performante drive tomorrow....!

RC:

The real mistake was that no one was standing higher up with a yellow flag. 

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Great review Crayphile, based on this I think it fulfills its intended role perfectly. It doesn't pretend to be the hardcore version so all magazines asking for more drama are missing the point imo.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

bluelines:
    RC:

The real mistake was that no one was standing higher up with a yellow flag. 

Wouldn't have happened on a "real" track, this is why I'm not a fan of the Nordschleife, like I said before. Especially when everyone can drive and you need to adapt to the traffic. A few friends of mine had some very nasty situations, so they prefer to stick to other tracks. Real ones. I get the attraction of the Nordschleife though.

Red Bull Ring...September 7th/8th...I will be there. Can't wait. Smiley

--

Doh! Scheduled to pick my car up tomorrow, but didn't realize the test drives were the day after and tomorrow is just to view it etc. Don't think I have time to stay until the next day. Oh well, at least I'll finally get to sit in it and play with it.

I'm sure it drivers totally fine, but would have been nice to drive it.

Did you buy a 720S or something? I must have missed it.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Nah, I haven't even seen it in the flesh yet! I just listed my 12C for sale and so now I have to figure out what to get next and when. 720S is on the list, but I'm in no rush.

Even though customer cars are already being delivered, my dealer changed hands and is brand new, so this stuff is kinda late. I thought it was just going to be the demo test day, but turns out tomorrow is the fancy launch day with food, drinks, etc. Not really mind kind of thing, but better than nothing. It's like 300+ miles away too, so I rarely get to the dealer.

I'll probably wait to see more cars and colors and options, and for better delivery times. Right now delivery of a new order is Fall 2018. In that case, I might as well not even have the car since it is of no use that late in the year.

Aha, I see. Good luck with the sale.. I've got a different problem - a Mac dealer 5 mins from the office, but not the $$$ to get one 

--

noone1:

Nah, I haven't even seen it in the flesh yet! I just listed my 12C for sale and so now I have to figure out what to get next and when. 720S is on the list, but I'm in no rush.

Even though customer cars are already being delivered, my dealer changed hands and is brand new, so this stuff is kinda late. I thought it was just going to be the demo test day, but turns out tomorrow is the fancy launch day with food, drinks, etc. Not really mind kind of thing, but better than nothing. It's like 300+ miles away too, so I rarely get to the dealer.

I'll probably wait to see more cars and colors and options, and for better delivery times. Right now delivery of a new order is Fall 2018. In that case, I might as well not even have the car since it is of no use that late in the year.

I thought you only bought depreciated nearly new cars ?

Normally I wouldn't, but I'll be car-less soon and I think my desired spec is so low that the residual would be half-way decent along with good demand for the 720S. Everyone is spec'ing really expensive cars (I think the demo is $390K,) but I like all body-colored cars best. Then just stereo and some wheels I think. My BTC holdings have pressed my splurge button a bit too.

Realistically though, yeah, I'll probably stick to my guns and wait to see if anyone specs a good color and shows up used. So far I've yet to see a color I would buy. They also removed Volcano Red from the standard options and it's now $12,000.

DaveGordon:

Aha, I see. Good luck with the sale.. I've got a different problem - a Mac dealer 5 mins from the office, but not the $$$ to get one 

The launch cars are over spec'd from what I could tell. I wouldn't be surprised if my ideal spec was $50K under average.

noone1:
    DaveGordon:

The launch cars are over spec'd from what I could tell. I wouldn't be surprised if my ideal spec was $50K under average.

Actually, believe it or not...I looked...I could live with the standard car without any additional options. Oh well, maybe 10-15k in options at max. Base price is 247k in Germany, so no big deal.

--

IMG_0055.JPG

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

IMG_0055.JPG

Smiley I would post even a bigger MEH Smiley but I think it isn't possible. 
    Horrible color/combo, just giving me eye cancer. Smiley

--

...yet we like Rubystone angry

--

Spent some time in it today. It was a luxury model with all the leather and like every single option. Sticker was $400K.

Sweet car though definitely not my kind of spec. Interior was very nice and felt pretty comfortable. Glass c-pillars are awesome and really makes it easier to see stuff over your shoulder etc. The glass roof is more or less pointless. You can't see really anything out of the passenger side glass and you can't see out the driver's side glass unless you literally tilt your head back. Sounded neat on a paper, but it's nothing even close to the GT glass. The interior glass is surrounded by very thick bezels that make it way small than it looks on the outside.

I didn't like how much the colors contrasted. It was a white car with like every CF item, so lots of contrast. I think full body color will look way better.

Felt tighter than the 12C inside, but also just more interesting and ergonomic. The space behind the seats is pretty huge and could prove quite useful.

Folding dash isn't super gimmicky per se, but I don't think it makes a ton of difference, or at least wouldn't for my seating position. I don't find that the dash obstructs my view of the windshield, so lowering it doesn't really give that much more of a view. 12C dash was kind of like a pyramid and so felt a bit taller. This is is more of a rectangle and not terribly peaky, so folding it away didn't really change the views. I still think it's neat and from a design perspective I think the narrow track mode dash looks good.

I guess this was a demo and early production car, but the door panels were a bit off. The car will ultimately be sold, but I'd imagine they'd want to fix the alignment of these panels. I mean, I would probably demand they be adjusted if I was buying it.

No test drive today. Wouldn't have made much of a difference though since the dealer is downtown and it would have been 5pm rush hour.

Also finally saw the Pacific Blue color on the GT. Love this color. Really really nice looking. Was tempted to buy it, but decide to pass for now. 

Preliminary owner's test. From the DragTimes.com guy who does really legit testing with vboxs and repeated runs.

"had my 720S a couple days now, it's just crazy fast, 60-130 MPH in 5.4 seconds in 2000DA heat and trapped 143.2 MPH in the vbox in same heat, just ran it at PBIR with a 10.1 on first pass on non corsa tires, this car is another level, nothing Lambo or Ferrari has will touch it outside the LaFerrari... I left an Aventador SV by 15 cars....

this car will run 9s when it cools off down here..."

angel

--

Rumors have it that it has 700 hp at the wheel.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    754038 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431110 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258758 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255661 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79669 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868629 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802402 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM