Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

19" Winter Tyres

Sorry if this is a repost, but any recommendations on 19" winter tyres for our 04 Cayenne Turbo? We'll probably leave them on year round, although we wont use the car that much in Summer - as we plan to drive the M roadster more..
    Cheers!

Re: 19" Winter Tyres

If you want to stick with N-rated, the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows are your only choice, and only the narrower versions are truly N-rated. If not, search this and other Cayenne forums for what others have done. Unless you have the PowerKit/CTTS brakes, you're better off buying a set of 18" wheels and tires.

+1

Yikes, didn't realise there is such a limited choice for 19" winter tyres
    Now I have a choice of paying CHF 1600 (USD1311) just for the scorpion tyres on my existing 19", or CHF 4800 (USD3900) for a 18" complete set. Probably going to go for the cheaper option. Randomly searching online for local Swiss suppliers I found
    Pirelli 275/45R19 108V XL RB Scorpion Ice&Snow
    and then
    Pirelli 275/45R19 108V XL Scorpion Ice&Snow RB
    I guess they are the same, except a few dollars in price

Are these N rated or the narrow ones? Thanks for the advice!

Have you looked at that place ? www.reifendirekt.ch/Reifen.html

Usualy they are the cheapest !

Quote:
    Gnil said:

Hi Gnil
    yes thanks- that's the first place I looked as others have recommended them as well. However the best quote I have is from a tyre company which I've purchase from a few times close to where I work:
    http://www.pneu-boegli.ch/ which seems to offer a good price (completely fitted) on this occasion as well. They have the non N rated 275/45 R19 winter tyres in stock, but the N0 rated 255/50 R19 (narrower version) have a week's delivery time. Price is the same-ish. Is trying non N rated tyres a REAL no-no? The car will be primarily used on the Swiss Autobahn..
    Others on this forum recommend the Nokians - any thoughts?

Quote:
    2chavs said:
    and then

These are not N-rated, only the 255s. If you are driving in much snow, you want the narrow ones, anyway. If you are mostly talking light snow and some ice, the wider ones are probably fine. I've driven on both and could not tell a difference in handling or traction. You will find a few folks on this board that feel strongly you should stick with N-rated, and others who feel equally strongly that an appropriately load-rated tire is just fine for what most people will do with their Cayennes. After all, one hopes you won't be going to the track with your I&S tires on, right?

Quote:
    2chavs said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

Hi Gnil
    yes thanks- that's the first place I looked as others have recommended them as well. However the best quote I have is from a tyre company which I've purchase from a few times close to where I work:
    http://www.pneu-boegli.ch/ which seems to offer a good price (completely fitted) on this occasion as well. They have the non N rated 275/45 R19 winter tyres in stock, but the N0 rated 255/50 R19 (narrower version) have a week's delivery time. Price is the same-ish. Is trying non N rated tyres a REAL no-no? The car will be primarily used on the Swiss Autobahn..
    Others on this forum recommend the Nokians - any thoughts?

I did not know that place The petrol price is so bloody cheap !!

This is good information, thanks. I am still a bit confused, and would like some help. What is best option for the new CT 21" wheels, if I only want to use them sporadically for ski trips? I will be living in Aix-en-Provence (surely not much snow there!), but will be taking a few trips with the family for skiing in the winter. Should I just get winter tires for the 21" rims, or do I need to get a set of smaller rims with winter tires? If this has been covered previously, please refer me to prior posts. Thanks...

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    This is good information, thanks. I am still a bit confused, and would like some help. What is best option for the new CT 21" wheels, if I only want to use them sporadically for ski trips? I will be living in Aix-en-Provence (surely not much snow there!), but will be taking a few trips with the family for skiing in the winter. Should I just get winter tires for the 21" rims, or do I need to get a set of smaller rims with winter tires? If this has been covered previously, please refer me to prior posts. Thanks...

I can't make specific 21" tyre recommendations but living almost in the Alps I can comment on the weather and how much snow you can expect even on 'occasional' ski trips. The answer is that it is truly potluck, you may get away with it on Summer tyres, or you may have a scary incident, or the worst case scenario a major accident. I'm not sure of French Law but in Switzerland if there is a lot of snow in a resort then police may set up a check point at the entrance to the valley to ensure people have 'suitable tyres', or chains or both. If they are not happy then you will be turned around. At the end of the day the psychological worry (accident and police) mean that I will always go for Winter tyres as long as I live near the mountains and use the vehicle in winter. BTW if you haven't driven with winter tyres they do make a difference, they are designed to work at temperatures below 6 or 7 degrees celsius, they are a little noisier than Summer ones and fuel consumption is more, plus they generally wear a lot quicker if used in summer months. HTH

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Quote:
    2chavs said:
    and then

These are not N-rated, only the 255s. If you are driving in much snow, you want the narrow ones, anyway. If you are mostly talking light snow and some ice, the wider ones are probably fine. I've driven on both and could not tell a difference in handling or traction. You will find a few folks on this board that feel strongly you should stick with N-rated, and others who feel equally strongly that an appropriately load-rated tire is just fine for what most people will do with their Cayennes. After all, one hopes you won't be going to the track with your I&S tires on, right?

Thanks sigs and no I probably wont be going to the racetrack. The plan is to use the car from September to April/May and outside of this if we need four seats and substantial luggage transportation. My wife is adamant she wants winter tyres as well so I think we've decided we'll be getting the narrow 'N' rated 255/50 R19 Pirelli Scorpions in the next few days. We have two ski weekends at least in the next few weeks - one in Andermatt at an altitude of 1400 metres, and a wedding in StMoritz at 1800m - there's more than a chance that there we'll be driving on snow at some point .
    BTW: we pick up our Cayenne Tomorrow afternoon!!!OMG

Happy motoring! And I'm sure you know this, but please do not try to take the truck out on snow or ice with either of the OEM summer tires (Michelin or Pirelli). No matter how skilled you are in driving on snow, that would be an experiment you would likely regret.

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Happy motoring! And I'm sure you know this, but please do not try to take the truck out on snow or ice with either of the OEM summer tires (Michelin or Pirelli). No matter how skilled you are in driving on snow, that would be an experiment you would likely regret.

When you say OEM - you mean the original factory fit right?
    As the car has done 50K Kilometers I doubt they will be the originals, although when I test drove it it had 20" wheels from the dealer's 'other' Cayenne Turbo, and he'll be refitting the original 19" Turbo Design with summer tyres ready for tomorrow. So I guess the only question for me tomorrow is whether a previous owner replaced the originals with the same OEMs Do you know the exact type of Pirelli/ Michelin we are talking about?

Correct.

Porsche stock 19" tires for the Cayenne are the Michelin Diamaris and the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. If you have a choice, most would recommend the Michelins, as the Cayenne seems to be extremely sensitive to road force numbers and careful balancing, and more Pirelli owners seem to complain about vibration. You can search this forum for much more info. I think you might have a claim for a new set of tires if the dealer tries to deliver a car (even used) with non-N-rated tires. The N marking (either N0 or N1) will be on the sidewall.

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Correct.

Porsche stock 19" tires for the Cayenne are the Michelin Diamaris and the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. If you have a choice, most would recommend the Michelins, as the Cayenne seems to be extremely sensitive to road force numbers and careful balancing, and more Pirelli owners seem to complain about vibration. You can search this forum for much more info. I think you might have a claim for a new set of tires if the dealer tries to deliver a car (even used) with non-N-rated tires. The N marking (either N0 or N1) will be on the sidewall.

Cheers - I'll make sure I inspect them. A matter of five hours now before I collect

OK guys - hey I'm a fellow Porsche owner now woohoo
    See my other Newbie thread for pics and a run down on my pick up today and the issue on tyres..
    Well the car dealer selling the car (private dealer not official Porsche I might add) has LOST the 19" wheels and put 18" wheels on instead. He first asked if I would be prepared to accept the 18". 'No' was my clear answer - I like the 'spokey' look about the 19" Turbo Design, it is more classy than the standard 18" Turbo ones and finishes the car off nicely..
    His next question was - "well how much were you going to pay for the new winter tyres on the 19" wheels?"
    "CHF 1600 (USD 1300) for Pirelli Scorpion 255/50 R19 'N' rated and fitted" I replied.
    "I will sell you my Porsche 20" 'SportTechno' wheels with winter tyres (Continental 4x4 ContactXL 275/40/20 driven 7000km) for the same amount- interested?"
    I didn't know whether to accept as I hadn't done any research on 20" winter tyre options and also hadn't really looked twice at the SportTechno wheels - despite them being a much higher cost option from new they are not really my taste as they are a bit too aggressive and well 'boy-racer' for me.. So anyway, I asked 'are the Continentals fitted 'N' rated by Porsche..?'
    'Yes' he replied.
    We both then tried to find the 'N' written on the tyres - nowhere to be seen.
    He insisted however that they were Porsche recommended so I quickly called the local Porsche dealer. 'Yes they are indeed' said the Porsche dealer, (although after me having pestered the same guy at the dealership with tyre questions four times in the last two days I think he may just be fobbing me off to get me off the line )
    So (hope you are still awake ) my question to y'all:
    Are the Continental 4x4 ContactXL 275/40/20 really Porsche certified? tirerack.com doesn't say so and the Porsche pricelist I have doesn't even offer a winter tyre for 20" wheels.. Nor does this website: http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/porsche-tyres-advice.html
    We left it that he would see if he can source the 19" from elsewhere, otherwise he would accept a lower offer e.g. USD 1000 for the 20", then it saves me some $$. He's calling me tomorrow.. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Incidentally I was shocked when he says that the winter tyres would be ok for 15'000km in total is that really the tyre lifespan expectancy on a Cayenne? I got 100,000km out of my Land Rover Freelander (winter tyres) which I just sold..
    Sorry for the long post, lots of questions but you guys are great and very supportive - I appreciate your help

Thanks everyone for your help and advice with the tyres. I managed to get some partially used Pirelli Scorpion winter tyres on the 19" wheels in time for this last weekend's ski trip to Andermatt. We had 15cm of snow on Saturday so the timing was spot on

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690844 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410081 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256160 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235381 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858758 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775048 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM