Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Corvette Blue Devil Announcement

Chevrolet announced that the Blue Devil will officially be called Corvette SS (Super Sport). The 2009 SS will be powered by a 7.0 litre V8 engine with an output of 650 hp.

Claimed is 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds with a top speed of 215 mph. The SS will have carbon ceramic brakes. 2009 Corvette

Re: Corvette Blue Devil Announcement

!!! I wish they brought Corvette's here!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Chevrolet announced that the Blue Devil will officially be called Corvette SS (Super Sport). The 2009 SS will be powered by a 7.0 litre V8 engine with an output of 650 hp.

Claimed is 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds with a top speed of 215 mph. The SS will have carbon ceramic brakes. 2009 Corvette

Jim,

Any word on which supercharger they will be using-and what power upgrades the tuners, such as Lingenfelter, have planned?

Al, I dont know about any power upgrades yet and I am not sure wich make of supercharger it is for sure.

Isn't 650hp enough? ok 725hp maybe..

I do admire your leadership role in the rennteam HP race.!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Does "2009" mean the car will launch in two years? If so, why do they announce it now

2009 in GM speak probably means some deliveries means this fall with more starting January 08.

Mike S, you can't import yourself a Z06?

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    !!! I wish they brought Corvette's here!

I'm surprised that chevy doesn't go SA .

This could be a good sign though.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/23/down-under-gets-first-ever-wrong-hand-drive-z06/

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Mike S, you can't import yourself a Z06?

Only RHD cars.

This website has better pictures.

http://www.fuelslut.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53452

Many are saying it is not 7 liter motor, but the 6.2 motor with a supercharger (screw type) and the intercooler mounted on top. Looks like Ceramic brakes (2 piece) and finally a good set of race calipers. The rims are CCW aftermarket and are probably just purchased to throw off the media.

It must be serious...this just came out.

Friday, February 23, 2007
    Print this Comment on this E-mail this

GM investigates how photos of secret, 600-hp Corvette got online

The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. is investigating how photos of a vehicle identified as a top-secret, super high-performance Chevrolet Corvette showed up on several Web sites Thursday.

Several photos of the Corvette that showed both its exterior and engine began appearing Thursday on auto enthusiast Web sites such as Autoblog.com, Jalopnik.com and thegmsource.com. It's unclear where the photos were first posted.

The car was identified as a prototype of the 2009 Corvette SS, a 600-plus horsepower supercar dubbed by some as the "Blue Devil," after GM CEO Rick Wagoner's alma mater, Duke University.

GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan confirmed the automaker is investigating a possible "breech of security" but would not confirm the vehicle in the photos was a Corvette supercar prototype. "We don't comment on future products," he said.

He said GM believes the photos were snapped in Romulus by an employee of a transport company that was in the process of shipping the vehicle.

Rhadigan said GM could not confirm numerous Web reports that the employee was arrested Thursday by Romulus police. A Romulus police spokesman declined to comment Thursday night.

"We acted on what was an alleged breech of security," Rhadigan said. "We are still piecing it all together."

The Internet has been abuzz in recent weeks with speculation about GM's rumored development of a 600-plus horsepower Corvette supercar. GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz hinted in January that such a car was in the works, but it has not been officially announced.

Automakers have struggled in the recent years to keep a lid on photos of cars in development as Internet sites aimed at auto enthusiasts have proliferated.

"We do take it seriously," Rhadigan said. "We are a car company that has a lot of confidential future products in various stages of development. We rely on security to keep those products confidential."

GM is asking some Web sites to take the photos down, Rhadigan said.

Autoblog.com said on its site it removed the photos out of fear of incurring GM's wrath.

Posted Feb 22nd 2007

From AutoBlog

"We've just learned that EMO TRANS, the shipping company that was hired by General Motors to transport a Corvette SS mule to Germany for testing on the Nurburgring, has fired the employee who took pictures of the vehicle and posted them on the internet."

Viper vs SS... should be fun to watch!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    2009 in GM speak probably means some deliveries means this fall with more starting January 08.

OK, that makes sense

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Actually Flat6 I think you mean January 09 much like the 06 Z's came out several months after the 06 model year had already started

Ah, the cat is out of the proverbial bag.

I'm guessing a Laminova intercooler jammed into the manifold intake. Perhaps also an Opcon/Lysholm twin screw supercharger ala the Audi RS4 MTM K540 I'm going to get, and ? the same as the one on the Ford GT?

If the stock SS has 650-ish HP with only 5psi or so boost, certainly a tuner could get 725+HP with a little more (attainable) boost.

I would hope they are supercharging the 7.0L LS6, not a 6.2L version.

Quote:
    thuggy said:

The SS will dust the new Viper....

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

I agree the SS will eat the Viper for breakfast . Also GM will only sell the SS to those that will take the GM driving course and get the certificate to qualify to drive the SS. The SS is very very impressive

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

I agree the SS will eat the Viper for breakfast . Also GM will only sell the SS to those that will take the GM driving course and get the certificate to qualify to drive the SS. The SS is very very impressive

They should have called it "The Fishtail" . 650 bhp through the rear wheels will make the Z06 accident statistics seem like a joke . Impressive car nonetheless. With such power at under 3000 lbs, it's really going to be something.

Quote:
    thuggy said:

You mean the SS vs Enzo/CGT. The Z06 has the viper's number no problem, and on a road course the extra 100hp on the new version will not help ring/track times as much as you would think.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    They should have called it "The Fishtail" . 650 bhp through the rear wheels will make the Z06 accident statistics seem like a joke . Impressive car nonetheless. With such power at under 3000 lbs, it's really going to be something.

Sounds like it could reel in a Carrera GT without trying overly hard.

I wonder if it'll have any road manners?

Well horsepower and torque is not everything... take a look at the lap times of the Brabus V12 tested by the Stig on Top Gear.

I just hope they do more to the bodywork and maybe an upgrade to the dash

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Also GM will only sell the SS to those that will take the GM driving course and get the certificate to qualify to drive the SS. The SS is very very impressive

That's assuming other 'Vette owners don't need a driving course, as well?

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    I just hope they do more to the bodywork and maybe an upgrade to the dash

I suspect this won't be likely-the power package and limited production will keep demand > supply and make GM/Chevy/Corvette fans happy.

It is great news for performance car buyer's. Hopefully, it will put all of the European car companies on notice that performance can be had without gouging its customers.

I suppose that's why Porsche and BMW are practically printing money, while GM might face bankruptcy within 5 years.

This isn't an insult but you have to realize that GM is alot bigger of an entity than Porsche and its to be expected that they go through ups and downs. Porsche is 'printing money' because it fills its niche well and thats produce sports cars. GM is losing money in my opinion because it is spread so thin across the globe

It was not that long ago that Porsche was facing bankruptcy, too. They overcame it by not selling their products for less than it costs to build.

The Z06 is amazing value for the money. In fact, it's unhealthily cheap. Enjoy it while the company lasts. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Porsche overcame its near collapse for a reasons you missed Groom.

Their assembly line was a disaster. It was literally a industrial museum, a werkes of horrors. Before 98, each car was actually made twice. Once when they built it and another time after it was assembled. Even their dealers were seen as the final step in their factory QC chain of disaster.

Without Toyota coming in and teaching Porsche how to run an asssmbly line, and in some of the most dumbest basic ways that embarassed them, Porsche would be a old corpse.

But Porsche had something else going for it, other companies didnt have..CCF - Customer Chump Factor.

About 1983, Porsche decided to use its Exclusive Department to cash in on the cash rich Cocaine cowboy markets in Miami and South America. That is the genesis of the current anal retentive leather options with their ridiculous prices you see today in Porsche Option Guides.

Prior to the cocaine boom, they did not offer ridiculously priced optional interior decor bits. Their established customer base would have laughed at them, but coke heads will pay any stupid sum for something ridiculous. Porsche knew that and ran with it and eventually the options and prices were accepted by their more customers. The CCF was born and started to take hold.

Then came the new M96 based models. Less build quality, but a better performing more modern car with way more profit. Combined with the dot com boom, Porsche was positioned to cash in on the new, way larger "Trophy" car sales market. No one gets a million stock options and says, Gee, Im going to the Chevy store! So Porsche was placed well for exploitation of its new customers.

Suddenly they were awash with customers who were totally ignorant of anything Porsche, or anything about sports cars, but just new they wanted one as a "status" present to themselves. Jackpot! Sell them a Trophy car with yesterdays racing history please! Oh and get out that Options Price Guide so customers have a big rope to hang themselves with!

Whoaaaa and such excuses accepted and made to their real sportscar clientele about the M96 cars! Oh Porsche must do this to save the company! Then Porsche must do this to make the Cayenne that will save the company! Then Porsche must do this so they can afford racing! Then Porsche must do this to buy a huge chunk of VW! Then, Porsche must keep doing this to be the most profitable car company in the world!!

All the time with more CCF money rolling in as the M96 engines were coming back in pieces,it didnt matter, CCF and the dot com boom gave them enough volume and margin to keep rolling!! And with more margin from subcontractors using non German parts and workers they had even more profit! Joy!

No other car company has Porsche's CCF milking its customer base for every last dime they can get from them. So Porsche is unique and very lucky, more than they should be.

So please, everyone feel good about paying $500 to cover their sunvisors in low quality leather! CCF has the mojo!
    Porsche knows how to play its greedier more stuck up customers because Porsche themselves are the king of greed.

Really Groom, there is no other car company that has so exploited its customers as Porsche has. So for that they do deserve a special industry award - CCF Meister!

So, to put it in a nutshell, they cut their costs, increased their prices, and increased their sales. I wonder how they managed not to break the bank doing that.

Sarcasm aside, you're spot on, and I'm one of the biggest willing victims here. At least, I'm not a drug lord.

To be fair, Ferrari has Porsche beat, by a wide margin, especially in the US. And I believe GM are only hurting themselves not pricing the Z06 at a higher level.

Groom, they decontented the product, reduced their cost of goods and had fortuitous sales timing with the dot com boom.

That model is likely not repeatable by any other car company because of Porsches deep pre existing love from customers, economic and market timing factors.

Porsche is really a love story that just happpens to build cars and trucks and next.. sedans. Thats the real story about Porsche. No other manufacturer has that.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765586 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437388 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261473 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82791 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877614 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809917 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM