Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

Whoopsy:
    rhino:

As if this test was supposed to show top speed for 1000km. you guys are ridiculous.indecision

Lars and RC name any of your cars that can beat the Tesla in a drag race??? Lol

Sure 0-100 is meaningless blah blah blah...

Why does every car magazine test that I have ever read include it then? Must be for the American readers

I can, my 918 Smiley From 0 to any speed you pick. Actually my incoming Turbo S Exclusive will also tops a Tesla from  0 to any speed. 

The 918 will eat 3 litres of fuel per lap at my track, which is 3 miles long and takes me 2 mins and 17 seconds and hit a top speed of 260km/hr. Can a Tesla do that?Smiley

We have members that have Tesla but they wouldn't dare to bring the golf cart to the track and run, so I took the 918 out and set a electric car lap record, at 2 min 44 seconds. It has enough charge for one out lap, one hot lap and 1/3 of a in lap. 

Just for kicks, I took my Cayenne Turbo S hot lapping too and got a SUV lap record of 2 min 39 seconds without trying much, I think I can knock about 3 seconds off if I REALLY tried.

I'll take the 918 all day alsoindecision but how far can the 918 go on battery power again

rhino:
    Whoopsy:
    rhino:

As if this test was supposed to show top speed for 1000km. you guys are ridiculous.indecision

Why does every car magazine test that I have ever read include it then? Must be for the American readers

I can, my 918 Smiley From 0 to any speed you pick. Actually my incoming Turbo S Exclusive will also tops a Tesla from  0 to any speed. 

The 918 will eat 3 litres of fuel per lap at my track, which is 3 miles long and takes me 2 mins and 17 seconds and hit a top speed of 260km/hr. Can a Tesla do that?Smiley

We have members that have Tesla but they wouldn't dare to bring the golf cart to the track and run, so I took the 918 out and set a electric car lap record, at 2 min 44 seconds. It has enough charge for one out lap, one hot lap and 1/3 of a in lap. 

Just for kicks, I took my Cayenne Turbo S hot lapping too and got a SUV lap record of 2 min 39 seconds without trying much, I think I can knock about 3 seconds off if I REALLY tried.

I'll take the 918 all day alsoindecision but how far can the 918 go on battery power again

Great news for you - You don't need to go electric with a 918 as it is a hybrid. Means - you can drive with petrol and once it is empty you just refill at any gas station within 5 minutes. Isn't that great? Try this with a Tesla! Smiley

Lars997:
    rhino:
    Whoopsy:
    rhino:

Great news for you - You don't need to go electric with a 918 as it is a hybrid. Means - you can drive with petrol and once it is empty you just refill at any gas station within 5 minutes. Isn't that great? Try this with a Tesla! Smiley

Once the 918 ran out of charge on the track, I can get it back up to about 60% in about 3 minutes, means I can do one hot lap in electric mode, then do a cool down charging lap and back on electric again.

The gas station is 8km away, I can run the tank dry and get there on electric alone, then fill up and head back to the track on electric again. Saving the fuel for burning them on track.

There is no on site charging at the track, so if a Tesla wants to do lapping, the owners will need to bring a Honda generator to charge the car themselves just to get home after.

It takes the 918 about 2.5 kWh to do one lap give or take. Actually more but there is a ton of regen braking so that's the net number. On paper the Tesla 100D could do about 40 laps with a full charge. But while the 918 is limited to 155km/hr on electric mode, the Tesla is not, and the current drain will be a lot higher at higher speed it will attain on the straights, rough calculations on my head puts it at 10-12 laps max. If the computer doesn't shut down the car due to heat from the high current drain first. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    rhino:
    Whoopsy:
    rhino:

Once the 918 ran out of charge on the track, I can get it back up to about 60% in about 3 minutes, means I can do one hot lap in electric mode, then do a cool down charging lap and back on electric again.

The gas station is 8km away, I can run the tank dry and get there on electric alone, then fill up and head back to the track on electric again. Saving the fuel for burning them on track.

There is no on site charging at the track, so if a Tesla wants to do lapping, the owners will need to bring a Honda generator to charge the car themselves just to get home after.

It takes the 918 about 2.5 kWh to do one lap give or take. Actually more but there is a ton of regen braking so that's the net number. On paper the Tesla 100D could do about 40 laps with a full charge. But while the 918 is limited to 155km/hr on electric mode, the Tesla is not, and the current drain will be a lot higher at higher speed it will attain on the straights, rough calculations on my head puts it at 10-12 laps max. If the computer doesn't shut down the car due to heat from the high current drain first. 

It's entertaining that you mention Tesla Model S and 918 in the same sentence Smiley. And why even start discussing tracking a Model S? It's a excellent daily driver. The best there is actually! No one owning a Model S will ever even consider taking it on the track and it has nothing to do with if it's capable of it or not. Even if it would about 0,000001% of owners would consider doing it.

I also got to ask.. Have you ever tested a P100D?

The best daily driver? From what perspective?

Eco friendly one maybe?

From drive dynamics point of view 2300kg car can not be the best. Even as daily driver. 

You remind me of my good friend who owns P85D and is praising it as much as possible. I drove that P85D pretty often and car is in all my personal merits way below class best. Handling, suspension, steering, general drive dynamics and even comfort are below new E-Class, 5 series or even XF.

Yeah, to quote him:"...it is environment friendly as much as possible, silent as much as possible and is creation of Elon Musk!" That's his argument why is S the best car in its class. But, even him is not impressed with the fact that he can not reach Munich if he drives any faster then 120km/h...

KresoF1:

Yeah, to quote him:"...it is environment friendly as much as possible, silent as much as possible and is creation of Elon Musk!" 

Smiley that pretty much sums up the stereotypical Teslarite cult mantra Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    KresoF1:

Yeah, to quote him:"...it is environment friendly as much as possible, silent as much as possible and is creation of Elon Musk!" 

Smiley that pretty much sums up the stereotypical Teslarite cult mantra Smiley

Hmm, I can say the first 2 point about my car, just not the Elon part, but I can use someone better, Dr. Frank Walliser!!!

Smiley

--

I am right now on a business trip in Zürich. I have parked my car in the car park Opera. I have used the shortest path to park my car, so probably have seen not more them 80 cars and I have seen there 3 Tesla (2 X and 1 S) in the Dufour street two more Tesla (1 X and 1 S). So in less then 5 minutes 5 Teslas - more then any other brand in the premium segment.

--

AM

Teslas and premium SUVs. That is Zürich.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Go to SF and you'll see Teslas non-stop as well. We can say what we want about the stock price, but there is no doubt that Tesla is killing it in the high-end sedan daily driver world.

Why do some claim that Tesla is for US drivers and not European? If I am not mistaken, gas prices in Europe are twice or three times higher than in the US.yes

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

Why do some claim that Tesla is for US drivers and not European? If I am not mistaken, gas prices in Europe are twice or three times higher than in the US.yes

Most of them drive diesel which is a lot cheaper than gasoline.

Plus, the Tesla's strong suit is straight line acceleration from 0 to freeway speed, something the Americans loved but the Rest of the World preferring cornering ability in addition to straight line power, the cornering is what Tesla is lacking. Also, Tesla doesn't do well in high speed, say above 150km/hr, that's something most European can do regularly on the European highways. 

--

Nick,

You nailed it.

One other thing. New, modern diesel like BMW 540d or M550d can do almost 1000km on single tank with pretty good average speed.

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Plus, the Tesla's strong suit is straight line acceleration from 0 to freeway speed, something the Americans loved but the Rest of the World preferring cornering ability in addition to straight line power, the cornering is what Tesla is lacking. Also, Tesla doesn't do well in high speed, say above 150km/hr, that's something most European can do regularly on the European highways. 

Perfect description

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Perfect description

This does sum it up perfectly. Let us see in five years if Tesla is still the leader in the ELV segment and if technology advancements make ICE vehicles the toy for luddites.

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Perfect description

Except I would say what Europe really loves is cheap, frugal sh!t boxes. None of those corner particularly better than a Tesla or most anything else for that matter, they certainly don't accelerate with any degree of violence and they probably aren't a fun place to be for hours at 150kph... What the VAST majority of Europeans drive is a small, frugal, cheap daily running cost, around town car. I"m not arguing that the Tesla is cheap to buy or small but it's frugal and made for around town and mild distance commuting. Which is what the vast majority of people use their cars for. 

1 VW Golf 130,367 -2
    2 Ford Fiesta 84,150 -4
    3 VW Polo 81,054 3
    4 Renault Clio 77,762 -3
    5 Opel / Vauxhall Corsa 74,049 -6
    6 Peugeot 208 68,900 13
    7 Nissan Qashqai 66,238 1
    8 Opel / Vauxhall Astra 61,478 30
    9 Ford Focus 60,348 -1
    10 Skoda Octavia 58,609 7
    11 Fiat Panda 56,824 22
    12 Peugeot 308 55,318 13
    13 Renault Captur 54,208 4
    14 Audi A3 53,931 -1
    15 VW Passat 53,651 4
    16 Toyota Yaris 53,024 4
    17 Fiat 500 52,885 5
    18 Peugeot 2008 45,747 10
    19 Opel / Vauxhall Mokka 44,125 3
    20 Skoda Fabia 42,927 34

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Why you would compare a Tesla with those low budget cars is beyond me yes ... there is no "except", that market doesn't love cheap, the have to buy cheap because of their budget, and they can't afford a Tesla either broken heart Those that can afford a Tesla here, buy BMW/AUDI/Merc sedans instead, which is the same market a Tesla would compete in, not cheaper Ford Fiestas and Renault Clios. Because they handle better than a Tesla, are more appropriate for Euro highway cruising speeds, diesel versions can go 1000km on a tank , and stop light acceleration is considered "meh" here.

--

Mithras:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Perfect description

Except I would say what Europe really loves is cheap, frugal sh!t boxes. None of those corner particularly better than a Tesla or most anything else for that matter, they certainly don't accelerate with any degree of violence and they probably aren't a fun place to be for hours at 150kph... What the VAST majority of Europeans drive is a small, frugal, cheap daily running cost, around town car. I"m not arguing that the Tesla is cheap to buy or small but it's frugal and made for around town and mild distance commuting. Which is what the vast majority of people use their cars for. 

1 VW Golf 130,367 -2
    2 Ford Fiesta 84,150 -4
    3 VW Polo 81,054 3
    4 Renault Clio 77,762 -3
    6 Peugeot 208 68,900 13
    9 Ford Focus 60,348 -1
    11 Fiat Panda 56,824 22
    12 Peugeot 308 55,318 13
    14 Audi A3 53,931 -1
    15 VW Passat 53,651 4
    16 Toyota Yaris 53,024 4
    17 Fiat 500 52,885 5
    20 Skoda Fabia 42,927 34

When I was at the autobahn and cruising at 220-240km/hr in the middle lane, I am pretty sure at least one each of these 20 passed me at a really high speed on the left lane, probably flat out on their cars. 

--

Mithras:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Perfect description

1 VW Golf 130,367 -2
    2 Ford Fiesta 84,150 -4
    3 VW Polo 81,054 3
    4 Renault Clio 77,762 -3
    6 Peugeot 208 68,900 13
    9 Ford Focus 60,348 -1
    11 Fiat Panda 56,824 22
    12 Peugeot 308 55,318 13
    14 Audi A3 53,931 -1
    15 VW Passat 53,651 4
    16 Toyota Yaris 53,024 4
    17 Fiat 500 52,885 5
    20 Skoda Fabia 42,927 34

In the price range of most popular cars (EU and also US, of course) Tesla has nothing to offer at all. Even the new Model 3 is too expensive. In general ELV just is way too expensive to penetrate the mass markets if not subsidized. This points to the problem that ELV technology as available to date will never be cost efficient and thus will never make it as soon as subsidies end (including the Tesla Ponzi scheme, as Kreso wrote correctly...). Somebody needs to invent much better power storages. This will most likely happen. But when? In 10, 20, 50 years? Who knows. 

Lars997:

Thanks Nick - great answer! 

Hey - no one talked about the most emotional part of doing accelerations with a "real" car? - Its the sound - Mama mia, the sound makes us men going and not the fuel economic! 

Speaking of sound: This could be the next "emissions" scandal in Germany. Apparently some journalists found out how motorcycle manufacturers manipulate the exhaust flaps opening during certain measurements for sound emissions and they suspect car manufacturers do the same. A proper investigation has been demanded and this could put a lot of manufacturers under pressure to offer a software update to change the flap opening behavior. Dammit.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Tesla is considered a luxury car in Germany, many criticize it's price tag and view it as some sort of "green conscience" for the rich. Not the best reputation if you ask me. They are lucky VW Group did the rest of the (gasoline) car industry a huge "favor" (not!) with that emissions scandal, otherwise Tesla would be criticized much more than they have been in the past.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

bluelines:

Same in the Geneva-Lausanne region . You see Tesla way more then any other premium brand . They are litteleraly all over the place .  They can not be ignored and just brushed away . The market for them is huge in sub urban area with speed limits .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    bluelines:

Save in the Geneva-Lausanne region . You see Tesla way more then any other premium brand . They are litteleraly all over the place . 

Like I said...luxury cars for the "green conscience". Smiley

--

RC:

It has nothing to do with '' green conscience '' . All the people I know who bought one are very far away from '' green'' . Quite the opposite in fact .  It is the package . The new technology . The '' different '' approach . The coolness about it . The '' future '' . The easy way to use them . etc.....  One must stop looking at Tesla from the '' green'' perspective . ( which is not very green anyway ) . That's what people who do not understand this car make for mistake . 

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

I don´t think you are right.

I would assume that not 10% of all s-class, 7xx, A8 care much about cornering speed - they all care about comfort and prestige.

Highway speed in Europe - we have only Germany with no limit - rest of Europe has limits 120/130 km/h. So max speed is limit plus 10 or 20 km/h.  You can't drive regularly above 150 km/h. I drive each week from Stuttgart to Basel and Zürich. Stuttgart - Basel you can't get average over 100 km/h. Stuttgart-Zürich maybe 115 km/h. I drive not during rush hours and I try to drive as fast as possible and my car is not limited to 250.

--

AM

Gnil:
    RC:

It has nothing to do with '' green conscience '' . All the people I know who bought one are very far away from '' green'' . Quite the opposite in fact .  It is the package . The new technology . The '' different '' approach . The coolness about it . The '' future '' . The easy way to use them . etc.....  One must stop looking at Tesla from the '' green'' perspective . ( which is not very green anyway ) . That's what people who do not understand this car make for mistake . 

I was talking conscience, nothing else. You cannot "measure" conscience and so far, I do not know a single ELV driver (incl. some Tesla owners I know) who do not mention, of course purely incidental , that they also want to do something for the environment. 

Why don't they buy a different ELV then? Much cheaper... BMW i3, BMW i8...there are other examples. 

Are there any incentives in Switzerland for getting an ELV?

--

In most countries, other than Germany, a Tesla would probably make sense if charging wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, many cars are driven out of prestige reasons only, true. BMW 7 series is a very good example, this is basically the business sedan in Bavaria. Smiley S class may be more common in other parts of Germany, Audi kind of lost a little bit with the A8 (and I'm not sure the new one, with it's bland design language, will change that).

A Tesla S P100D with full options is almost 170k EUR in Germany. Definitely not a car for those who want something cool or new. This car is supposed to send a message, even if most owners would probably deny it, humble as they are. Smiley Smiley

Not talking about countries where the government subsidizes ELVs and provides advantages (parking spaces, etc.) like Norway for example, where a Tesla S is often cheaper than a conventional car like a BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class.

--

Gnil:
    bluelines:

Same in the Geneva-Lausanne region . You see Tesla way more then any other premium brand . They are litteleraly all over the place .  They can not be ignored and just brushed away . The market for them is huge in sub urban area with speed limits .

--

Just checked: as per July 2017 Tesla had an approx. share of 8-9% of upper class car sales in Germany (S-class, 7 series, Panamera, Audi A8). Depending on the point of view this can be considered high or low Smiley

Here are some interesting stats regarding the car market in Germany...

Tesla sales have improved in Germany but are still ridiculously low.

4ed8423a9877b6c53c203f269f66693445c7bf2321389b9c80b0b39633f443a8.png

--

ALDO:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

I don´t think you are right.

I would assume that not 10% of all s-class, 7xx, A8 care much about cornering speed - they all care about comfort and prestige.

Highway speed in Europe - we have only Germany with no limit - rest of Europe has limits 120/130 km/h. So max speed is limit plus 10 or 20 km/h.  You can't drive regularly above 150 km/h. I drive each week from Stuttgart to Basel and Zürich. Stuttgart - Basel you can't get average over 100 km/h. Stuttgart-Zürich maybe 115 km/h. I drive not during rush hours and I try to drive as fast as possible and my car is not limited to 250.

You can do 150kmh cruising speed here in Spain, or Portugal, or other southern Euro countries, I do it every time.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752960 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430637 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868237 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801780 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM