Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

When to trade my 997S for a Turbo?

Got an 06 997S with 7000 (7K) miles on it.

I plan to trade it in for a Turbo at some point.

Oddly, I'm in zero hurry to do this (other stuff going on, still not "bored" with 997S, waiting to see about TT changes and facelifts etc).

Should I just bite the bullet and do it? What would you guys consider in making a decision like this?

Blowing the money is supposed to be fun but I'm worried that I might have _matured_ without noticing it.

Thanks.

Re: When to trade my 997S for a Turbo?

Quote:
    MMD said:

Oddly, I'm in zero hurry to do this (other stuff going on, still not "bored" with 997S, waiting to see about TT changes and facelifts etc).

Should I just bite the bullet and do it? What would you guys consider in making a decision like this?

Blowing the money is supposed to be fun but I'm worried that I might have _matured_ without noticing it.

Thanks.

go drive one hard and I garantee you'll make a decision on the spot

Sounds like you answered your own question and should wait. My '06 S will be 1 yr. in March with 10,000 miles. I ordered a TT in Dec. and have an April build. For me, I wanted it, have to have it, and have certainly not matured LOL.

Whether you trade it in now or in a few months you will get hit hard financially. It'll hurt either way.

I'm in the same boat.

I want to trade up, I have the money, I am just not convinced that a nicely spec'ed Turbo coupe is worth 40k GBP (80k USD) more than my C2S Cab. And I know that the longer I wait the bigger the cost outlay will be.

However, there are too many things I don't like about the current Turbo. The front fog lights, the ill-designed rear end, the lack of PSE. I just know I would have to spend a further 10-20k GBP to make the car into something I really would lust after.

The new GT2 from latest spy-shots certainly looks like a big step in the right direction style and noise wise, but I am not sure the 'Mrs' would allow me out in a car nicknamed the 'widow-maker' - especially in this country where the weather is less than driver-friendly for most of the year and I wouldn't have PSM.

So I think I am going to hang on for a few years to see what the facelift and maybe even 998 bring (Turbo should be around 2012 I guess). My C2S Cab is still one special car to keep me occupied in the meantime...

Wait for the PDK version - that's what I decided to do ! I'm retiring from " heel and toeing" after 35 years . Kinda like boats - I'm excited about the new electronic " joysticks " that allow you to slide a dual engined boat in sideways into a space at a dock instead of " parallel " parking it in a car- like manner and occasionally slamming the bow or stern into dock or worse another boat. Some decry that as too wimpy/too easy , but been there, done that .Try parallel parking a limosine in a tight space where the other cars, the curb and the road are constantly moving under you in different directions and you get my " drift " .

Run - don't walk - trade it in NOW.

Starting this SEPTEMBER, yes thats this Sept 2007, 997 and 987s will get the new Direct Injection engines with more power, better mpg and better throttle response.

This means that current 98s7 and 997s will have less market value.

Trade or sell it now, before the new DI engines are out.

I thought this generation Turbo was not getting DI...no?

The 997TT TURBO has DI from the get go.

The 2008 Cayennes - those are the models about to be sold sold NOW - also have it.

The 2008 997s and 987s wich will be made starting in SEPTEMBER 07 will also have DI engines.

Anyone thinking of buying a new 997 or 997 S or any 987/Cayman should hold out for a car made after this Sept.
    The extra power will be worth it.

Wait for the PDK, that's the only real reason I will upgrade my 03 C4 cab to a TT...

Jim I am pretty sure the Turbo does not have DI.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Jim I am pretty sure the Turbo does not have DI.

You are correct.

The Cayenne Turbo has it, not the 997TT yet.

Just wait for the TT facelift for MY09

Why are you even asking us for our opinions. You're the one that ultimately decides when the ball 'drops.' If you really want the 997TT then get it but if you don't then wait or forget about it altogether. We could spend all our time trying to guess what's coming but the fact of the matter is that no one but Porsche really knows.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Hi buddy, we purchased our 997S's about the same time a few years back (I bought mine end of 2004). Rember the big deal over no spare tire back then? I think we both made the best of what was available. ONLY 7000 MILES!! I thought I was bad (just hit 14000). Well I have been pondering over the same question myself for months and your the only one that can answer that. I don't think there IS an answer to the question of: trade up now or wait? I took the plunge over the weekend but plan on selling my car myself (if I can) and when I get a chance in the next couple of days I will post on what options I got and when I should expect it. Someone with a March build date backed out and I was able to completely re-spec the car. Will keep you posted....... right now I have to run.........

P.S. EITHER WAY KEEP THE SPARE JUST IN CASE!

Well, you could wait for this new technology to be fitted to the car but, IMO, if you did wait and get this new technology, there would certainly be some other new technology just around the corner which you would miss out on.

The advance of technology is relentless. If you keep waiting, you will miss out on a lot of the enjoyment and IMO life is just too short for that.

You would be planning years ahead based on incomplete information and some internet speculation. I would make my decision based on what is known for certain today. You can always trade up in the future if you feel strongly about it and your budget permits.

Heaven forbid - but who knows if you or I will be alive next year? Who knows if you or I will develop a medical condition which makes it impossible to drive or to drive a manual car? Life is just uncertain my friend.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Well, you could wait for this new technology to be fitted to the car but, IMO, if you did wait and get this new technology, there would certainly be some other new technology just around the corner which you would miss out on.

Exactly my friend! I couldn't have said it any better (well, maybe I could)

atomic80, isn't it 3.43am where you are right now? (I assume you're on PST). When do you sleep?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Exactly my friend! I couldn't have said it any better (well, maybe I could)

For me at least, it's less about the technology and more about the car's looks and sound. Currently the Carrera S has the Turbo beaten on both of these counts.

On the other hand, I guess by the time the 998 Turbo comes out - with a new design, Direct Injection, and over 500bhp - the cost difference on the Carrera will be much more than just retro-fitting a GT2 front end to the 997 Turbo and waiting for the Porsche Powerkit with PSE.

Hmmm, that's got me thinking now...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    atomic80, isn't it 3.43am where you are right now? (I assume you're on PST). When do you sleep?

It's actually almost 6 am here. I'm on vacation where it's MST). Went to sleep early.

Quote:
    gradyex said:

Hi buddy, we purchased our 997S's about the same time a few years back (I bought mine end of 2004). Rember the big deal over no spare tire back then? I think we both made the best of what was available. ONLY 7000 MILES!! I thought I was bad (just hit 14000). Well I have been pondering over the same question myself for months and your the only one that can answer that. I don't think there IS an answer to the question of: trade up now or wait? I took the plunge over the weekend but plan on selling my car myself (if I can) and when I get a chance in the next couple of days I will post on what options I got and when I should expect it. Someone with a March build date backed out and I was able to completely re-spec the car. Will keep you posted....... right now I have to run.........

P.S. EITHER WAY KEEP THE SPARE JUST IN CASE!

Hey Buddy! Yes, "those were the days," huh? Everybody was lacking soooo much info at the beginning; everybody trying to figure everything out. (even dealers didn't know)

Geez, maybe I should do what you did, just go to dealer and hint around and let them scrounge around and offer me a TT build date. Great idea! An advanced way to shop. This way I won't have to "plan" anything, LOL.

Got only 7000 miles because I have other cars (Darn! )

Not sure about the spare, will it fit in the TT Trunk? There's a front wheel drive assembly in the area.

Anyway, Congratulations! I for one am looking forward to your descriptions of your NEW TT!

Quote:
    aah986 said:

go drive one hard and I garantee you'll make a decision on the spot

LOL. I think you nailed the best way to solve the problem.

if you drive a manual, try to put your hands on a GT3 or a GT3RS... if you drive a tiptronic, I'd get a TT, but I'd wait till the PDK is out, so that you hold on to this one for a while... if you get a TT tiptronic now, you'll be trading it again to get the PDK version... unless money is no issue, then trade away baby!!!!!!!!!

Why do you want to trade up for the TT? You indicate you are very happy with your 997. The 997 you own now will give you all the pleasure you can handle or need.

If you insist on burning money, wait for the PDK, improved exhaust, DI and visual improvement. It won't be long when these are introduced and it is not like you are presently driving a wreck.

I actually agree with Nick.

Very well said Nick.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    is not like you are presently driving a wreck.

LOL!

That's true. Thanks for the wake up call! Waiting and enjoying present car: why not?

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    I'm in the same boat.

I want to trade up, I have the money, I am just not convinced that a nicely spec'ed Turbo coupe is worth 40k GBP (80k USD) more than my C2S Cab. And I know that the longer I wait the bigger the cost outlay will be.

However, there are too many things I don't like about the current Turbo. The front fog lights, the ill-designed rear end, the lack of PSE. I just know I would have to spend a further 10-20k GBP to make the car into something I really would lust after.

The new GT2 from latest spy-shots certainly looks like a big step in the right direction style and noise wise, but I am not sure the 'Mrs' would allow me out in a car nicknamed the 'widow-maker' - especially in this country where the weather is less than driver-friendly for most of the year and I wouldn't have PSM.

So I think I am going to hang on for a few years to see what the facelift and maybe even 998 bring (Turbo should be around 2012 I guess). My C2S Cab is still one special car to keep me occupied in the meantime...

Hey Alex,

I am in your exact same boat and cannot say it better than you.

When I had my 993 Targa, I had always wanted to upgrade to 993TT. At that time, I felt that a "911 Turbo" is at a much higher level than my NA 993 and I had that thought for a long time.

When the 996TT came out, I had no interest at all (maybe because of its look) and told myself that my next car would be a 997TT. When 997 arrived, I couldn't wait any longer and got a 997S, but still had the plan to upgrade to 997TT. Then the 997TT arrived, and I do not have any desire to do it any more. I don't think it is a financial issue.

Maybe our 997S has already good enough acceleration or handling for us, or as you said, our cars have cleaner and smoother lines. But upgrading to a "911 Turbo" to me now is no more than just a status symbol.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    But upgrading to a "911 Turbo" to me now is no more than just a status symbol.

Nah, I just want to have my 997S in Turbo form.

Like me, don't ya just want to punch that throttle and rocket thru 2D space??!!

DAMMIT that the excessive "slattyness" and freakazoid wing and styling details ARE holding me back.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    But upgrading to a "911 Turbo" to me now is no more than just a status symbol.

Nah, I just want to have my 997S in Turbo form.

Like me, don't ya just want to punch that throttle and rocket thru 2D space??!!

DAMMIT that the excessive "slattyness" and freakazoid wing and styling details ARE holding me back.

The other alternative I am thinking about is doing the Ruf thing and adding a +100bhp supercharger to my current car. Then I'd have all the looks and all the power.

The picture below is tormenting me though as it's really growing on me and front fog lights don't seem so prevalently bulging in Atlas.

Hmmm, perhaps an Atlas Grey Turbo with Cocoa leather, Carbon interior, all the sports options, and TechArt kit: http://www.techart-presse.de/ishow/galerie.php?gallery=097_tt_4&kat=097_tt

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

The picture below is tormenting me though as it's really growing on me and front fog lights don't seem so prevalently bulging in Atlas.

Funny that, despite all the reservations about looks, I'm sure once we get these cars and live with them those concerns go away.

Good observation about Atlas. One thing I DO plan: to get a _darker_ color to de-emphazise all the busy-looking apertures, slats and other protruberances.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436974 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261279 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258126 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82716 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877276 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809471 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM