Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Great R8 Review

A interesting option....

"Even at night you can see the powerplant cradled in (optional) carbon-fiber sheathing. A pair of LED spotlights (optional, too) turn on with a click of the key fob and shine, like an art gallery's floods, onto the engine. This is a clear ooh and aah moment designed to make any owner beam with pride." Slick!

and

"As best as we will tell, the R8 is more refined than a Porsche and has better balance and on-road manners; it is clearly more sophisticated than a Ferrari F430 or a Ford GT; it has creditable performance on par with others in class (0-62 in a conservative 4.6 seconds)"

Autoweek R8 Review

Re: Great R8 Review

I'm still waiting on the US pricing to be announced. At less than 100K, I would consider it. At 110k base (the latest rumor I've seen in print), I'll stick with the V8 Vantage.

John

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    the R8 is more refined than a Porsche and has better balance and on-road manners;

I would like to read a comparison article between the R8 and the C4/C4S regarding steering, gearbox, brake feel and ride quality.

From the motortrend review, it seems the R8 has numb, arcade game steering feel similar to a 599 or Enzo. More refined than a Porsche or more numb?

You'd think that the 0-60 time would be lower, like 3.9-4.0 range

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

That seems to fast for a car with "only" 420hp, even if it's a AWD.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

Isn't it great that we live in an age of sportscars when 420 hp is preceded with an "only"

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

Isn't it great that we live in an age of sportscars when 420 hp is preceded with an "only"

Sure. I sometimes only wonder, if and where it will stop.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

My bet is on 600 for the Turbo/F430 class.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    bondmid003 said:

My bet is on 600 for the Turbo/F430 class.

Could be. I guess I'll be satisfied with that.

600 and reduced weight ;-)

Seems like that's where its going, only 5 or so years ago 400 hp was ALOT and 500 was reserved for only the elitest of supercars. Now if it doesn't have upwards of 400 or 500+ then its left in the dust

Moreover, you can buy an Ultima GTR with more than 700 HP, more or less 1000 Kg, for arround 100k euro. But, still, only raw power, raw performance, not really a usable everyday car.

The R8 has somewhat blown my mind: a very nice car with fresh lines, quality finishes, and, for me, the "correct" nowdays concept: mid engine, V8, top tecnology...etc. What a Carrera should be...(Yes, I consider that despite all the goodies, the 977S is absolutely underpowered). And I feel that with better handling than my beloved Porsche.

But, up to now, I have not seen a reliable test of the car in a known track.

I'm sure it performs spectacular, and maybe can give some more than the "barely" 420 HP (In this times not a must!), but I'd love to se it's real performance.

Two days ago I passed trough an AUDI dealeship. I got in, and asked if they had pricings for the car. The ansewr: they are still waiting for info. I live in Barcelona, Spain, not in Mars.........how can anybody consider buying a car if even the prices are not available?

The salesman told me (I hope he was wrong) that the base price would to 120k euro....Sorry, but if you add the "must have" options, you almost climb to the Gallardo's price.

...and please excuse me but, in spite I like the R8, I would still go to the bull for just a "bit" more euro

And....refering to some reference to the Aston....It's so nice!, so nice that is a pitty how much it weights for it's power.... if this balance would be different, for sure would be my everyday car (and the GTR for really performing!)

Finally, I feel that sport cars manufacturers are giving us just "slices" of what they can really offer...just to take our money. Why Audi is not offering the real potential of this car, or even the 10 cylincer? Why this duality Lambo-Audi? (It depends on the point of view, one better than the other).

Why Porsche is chained in this not really "special" cars for nowdays, knowing they could offer to real supercars as they did in the past? (Yes, they are looking for the mass-ricer client)

Sad to say, but I'm beguinning to loose enthusiasm towards "sport" cars.....seriously considering an Ultima GTR....for the track....for the road (speed limits), a confortable sedan will fit...

Maybe the days when Porsche was absolutely exciting are gone forever.....

Bryon, you have a point and very well said.

Bryon, I agree also.

A slightly stretched Cayman with a 440hp GT3 engine, complete gauges, its own cockpit look, a LSD, 7 spd manual and the new Seimens brake system would be a good for starters.

I am not holding my breath.

The only new 977 that looks interesting is the Targa, mainly because they will not be common and they dont have those bizarre style points of the TT's rear end and wheels.
    Why not offer hatchbacks on other 997s? Is very convenient!

But a Targa is not the first choice for a curvy road.

MY2008 comes get the DI engines. More power. Nice, but the whole car and suspension needs a makeover IMHO. The 997 is really starting to look too small for the money and even with PASM they still havent gotten rid of the 911 choppiness and the diagonal body motion over less than than German roads.

Quote:
    tony2006 said:

Thanks Tony, pleased to meet you.........We, the lovers of cars, are lately "victims" of "harsh" marketing maneouvers.

In spite the fact you can afford a 100-300K exotic, there is something everybody should keep in mind: not
    to be teased.

And,of course, car builders are there for the bussiness, but there is a limit.

To be clear: When I was young (uf!) I managed myself to have powerful rally cars in spite I had no money (dear sponsors!)..but, with time I made my dream come true: I finally had my fabolous aspirtated Carrera.....My rally car was much faster (Gr2), but my Porsche gave me soo many happy moments.....

I've been a loyal Porsche lover.....I was really expecting for rhe 977S....I bougth one......

But, sorry, I'm an "old" chap............after a few tests.............yes, "another one"...not as useful as a Daimler.....not really fast..........so, I traded my 977S -20 mm etc.

I feel bad to say it, but a boring and too much predictable car........I thought about a turbo, but I feel thet the final result could be the same....

That is my concern about the R8: Maybe under its possibilities...............

I dream with a real new Carrera, with the shape a Renneam member designer posted a few days ago (not the Cayman look)...a real serious sports car of the 21st century.

If Porsche wanna be as Opel (rather more sofisticate, but a big rice producer) and ignore us, the loyal users....go ahead...the competence is not sleeping

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Bryon, I agree also.

A slightly stretched Cayman with a 440hp GT3 engine, complete gauges, its own cockpit look, a LSD, 7 spd manual and the new Seimens brake system would be a good for starters.

I am not holding my breath.

The only new 977 that looks interesting is the Targa, mainly because they will not be common and they dont have those bizarre style points of the TT's rear end and wheels.
    Why not offer hatchbacks on other 997s? Is very convenient!

But a Targa is not the first choice for a curvy road.

MY2008 comes get the DI engines. More power. Nice, but the whole car and suspension needs a makeover IMHO. The 997 is really starting to look too small for the money and even with PASM they still havent gotten rid of the 911 choppiness and the diagonal body motion over less than than German roads.

Basically, can't agree more...yes, following your words..."too small for money"...(and boring)

And I hate this feeling....my heart will allways lie on Porsche.....years can pass...we get older, but, now we can afford it...where is the illusion of those innovative cars?

Please, if Porsche is going to be a "semi" sporive car builder, my spirit will be injured, but will recover.........I'll allways keep in my mind those so many fantastic moments I had in my life with the unmachable 911 "cleaning" the curves of my country......

I desire a wealthy future with the Panamera for them......(But if I have to choose a sedan I'd allwys go to an Arnage)...I pray ..........maybe the guys in Stittgart shut my mouth with the 21st century real Carrera: powerfull, mid engined........miles away from the "red clowns"......by the way, not relly special.....(a bit tacky....IMHU )

Byron,....Porsche put a lot of "boring" into the 997 to make it appeal to more people. It feels too synthetic if you are used to older generation 911's.

For a sedan, consider the Maserati Quattroporte. The weight balance is 47/53, the engine is intoxicating and the handling is very direct.

Here are 70 new Quattroportes with, for them new, BMW 6spd automatics. Maserati is ready! They are actually fun to drive.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Byron,....Porsche put a lot of "boring" into the 997 to make it appeal to more people. It feels too synthetic if you are used to older generation 911's.

For a sedan, consider the Maserati Quattroporte. The weight balance is 47/53, the engine is intoxicating and the handling is very direct.

Here are 70 new Quattroportes with, for them new, BMW 6spd automatics. Maserati is ready! They are actually fun to drive.

Jim, What a nice photo!

Can I ask you where it was taken (Italy?)?

I loved the Maserati Quatroporte (what a nice name!) when it was released, I loved the concept...I even considered an unloyality towards my old Daimler.....but, after seing "the creature" in person, I felt it was not so special...still, a very nice Creature...but I will allways be a Loyal partner with my Daimler: He is what he was supposed to be, a confortabble "not-so-lazy confortable timeless" sedan....and time after time, he is......not a single problem after so many years...after demanding him maybe too much in some occasions...still that Admirable and polite British behaviour....that quality of the leather, of the nogal wood.....and....a very remarcable attitude in every courve, despite is as heavy as an Hipo..

I hope, if things go as supposed to go, in not so long time I'll have my Mulliner Arnage....for me,the ultimate Sedan.....but my Old Daimler will allways remain with me....

As in a remarkable film Sir Anthony Hopkings did drive (Or Hannibal Lecter in the novel)....maybe the "sports" cars can dissapoint me, but the Daimler never did...

Meanwhile, I'll give freedom to my testosterone in the track with an Ultima (Please, excuse me if I insist talkin g about this car but is really a supercar in terms of handling and performance)

Byron, That pic is from Italy and was shot at Modena's Military Academy.

I do not know if you have considered a Mosler for track use,
    but see it here and look at the video of it on the 'Ring.

Mosler Information

Quote:
    thuggy said:

That sounds great. I'll have one of these, please.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

600hp and lower weight

That will be new version of Corvette Pretty soon indeed...

And I am not interesting in one.

Back to R8-it is priced in Europe at 997 Carrera 4S(X51) level and IMHO price is more or less OK.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    thuggy said:

600hp and lower weight

That will be new version of Corvette Pretty soon indeed...

And I am not interesting in one.

Back to R8-it is priced in Europe at 997 Carrera 4S(X51) level and IMHO price is more or less OK.

I also think price is alright, what doesn't mean it is fair.

And speaking of a light 600hp car I was more thinking (dreaming) of a midengined Ferrari than a frontengined Corvette.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    And speaking of a light 600hp car I was more thinking (dreaming) of a midengined Ferrari than a frontengined Corvette.

Unless I'm mistaken, technically, both cars are mid-engined. One is front mid engine and the other a rear mid engine layout.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

Unless I'm mistaken, technically, both cars are mid-engined. One is front mid engine and the other a rear mid engine layout.

If I'm talking about midengined cars I'm thinking of a genuine midengined layout with the engine right behind my ears.

Quote:
    Byron said:
    Quote:
    tony2006 said:

Thanks Tony, pleased to meet you.........We, the lovers of cars, are lately "victims" of "harsh" marketing maneouvers.

In spite the fact you can afford a 100-300K exotic, there is something everybody should keep in mind: not
    to be teased.

And,of course, car builders are there for the bussiness, but there is a limit.

To be clear: When I was young (uf!) I managed myself to have powerful rally cars in spite I had no money (dear sponsors!)..but, with time I made my dream come true: I finally had my fabolous aspirtated Carrera.....My rally car was much faster (Gr2), but my Porsche gave me soo many happy moments.....

I've been a loyal Porsche lover.....I was really expecting for rhe 977S....I bougth one......

But, sorry, I'm an "old" chap............after a few tests.............yes, "another one"...not as useful as a Daimler.....not really fast..........so, I traded my 977S -20 mm etc.

I feel bad to say it, but a boring and too much predictable car........I thought about a turbo, but I feel thet the final result could be the same....

That is my concern about the R8: Maybe under its possibilities...............

I dream with a real new Carrera, with the shape a Renneam member designer posted a few days ago (not the Cayman look)...a real serious sports car of the 21st century.

If Porsche wanna be as Opel (rather more sofisticate, but a big rice producer) and ignore us, the loyal users....go ahead...the competence is not sleeping

Bryon, pleased to meet you as well. I totally understanding the teasing and slicing of performance we are getting from car manufacturers. The way to fight back is to NOT be a one-brand loyalist. Vote with your purchase and change often. Date as many car as you can within your time span and get the most performance for your money. Long live competition.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM