Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

C&D Mar 07 GT3 vs. Z06 and Exige S

March 07 Car & Driver pits the GT3 against Corvette Z06 and Lotus Exige S. Z06 comes up first with the GT3 coming up short by 1 point. Of course they gave the Z06 a 11 point advantage becuase of price. I hate these comparisons which are based on subjective ratings such as the "gotta have it factor" and "price". To me, if you cannot afford to play in our sandbox, then stay away...far away!

Re: C&D Mar 07 GT3 vs. Z06 and Exige S

Is there a link or scan of the article?

"... ZO6 was not only faster than the GT3 but also the most comfortable street car of the three..." "... the objective scores for each category on our ballot outweighed the subjective scores of our acquisitve participants, none of whom even balked at the Porsche's lofty $120,670 price..."

ZO6 lows: "subpar seats and interior, that gold-chain rep."

GT3 lows: "sudden ride motions, high price."

The magazine indicates that the as-tested price score is an objective calculation. I don't know if they factored in the fact that many Chevy dealerships are still bending their customers over by adding a healthy markup above MSRP. Incidentally, the Porsche gained 3 points on the ZO6 in the subjective gotta have it category.

Interesting. Auto, Motor & Sport or a Swiss magazine did exactly the same test a few months ago. Will try to find it. Wonder if it is the same article.

Quote:
    Mid-Life Fun said:
    I hate these comparisons which are based on subjective ratings such as the "gotta have it factor" and "price". To me, if you cannot afford to play in our sandbox, then stay away...far away!

If one were to compare the GT3 and Z06 by objective numbers alone, ie. performance measures, I'm quite sure the Z06 would win in just about every category: acceleration, G forces on skid pad, lap times on track, braking distance (that might be the closest one, and maybe a win for the Porsche, though the Vette is lighter), etc., despite the Z06 using runflats!

While I agree that the number of points awarded to price may have been subjective in this comparison, price alone is not subjective at all - it can be measured pretty accurately, and it is very relevant infomation which I do understand trying to factor into the comparison. If a car can perform better than its more expensive competitor, then that is important news. I'm sure that many Z06 and Vette drivers find satisfaction in knowing that their cars can outperform GT3's and 997's at a fraction of the cost, just as Porsche owners who can't afford Ferraris might get the same satisfaction if Porsches of today could outperform the flashy stallions.

It is in fact the subjective measures that lead us here at Rennteam to prefer the Porsche to the Corvette - the things that can't readily be measured, and often the things that make us create exclusionary sandboxes that carry a price for admission. I find the "stay away if you can't afford it" comments disturbing.

Let's face it: if our decision was based on objective measures alone, we'd have to get the Z06.

Well, price is about as objective factor as it gets

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:I find the "stay away if you can't afford it" comments disturbing.

Me too...

Quote:
    Mid-Life Fun said:
    To me, if you cannot afford to play in our sandbox, then stay away...far away!

Sounds like what they post on Ferrari boards regarding Porsche owners boasts of better price /performance ratio acknowledging , say, cheaper interior and lesser prestidge , blah blah blah - what goes around comes around , right?

The Z06 has 85 more HP than the GT3.
    The Z06 has 200lb/ft torque more than the GT3.
    The Z06 is lighter than the GT3.
    And it barely beat the GT3.
    Where is the surprise in that. If I had a Z06 I wouldn't be to happy that I beat an unerpowered overweight car just b/c of price.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Where is the surprise in that. If I had a Z06 I wouldn't be to happy that I beat an unerpowered overweight car just b/c of price.

The question to me as a Porsche owner for the past 22 years is why Porsche can't build a lighter , more powerful GT3 ( or 911 line for that matter ) if a lunk of a truck manufacturing company like GM can ? ( I.e., the GT3 should have 500 hp and weigh 2900 lbs )

Quote:
    RR4 said:

If I was Porsche I wouldn't be happy I had an underpowered overweight car as my GT3.

It just seems to me that if you are buying a Corvette, a Porsche, a Ferrari or whatever type of car of this caliber, then "price" shouldn't be the issue. You just don't buy these cars as bargain transportation. If I wanted a Corvette, then I would have bought one. If a Ferrari was my choice, then I would have bought that. If they want to do a "Hardcore" comparison, then let's look at performance and overall composition issues. The "gotta have it" factor is about as relavent as Paris Hilton. Even when we do beat the Vette by 3 points.

Quote:
    Mid-Life Fun said:
    It just seems to me that if you are buying a Corvette, a Porsche, a Ferrari or whatever type of car of this caliber, then "price" shouldn't be the issue. You just don't buy these cars as bargain transportation. If I wanted a Corvette, then I would have bought one. If a Ferrari was my choice, then I would have bought that. If they want to do a "Hardcore" comparison, then let's look at performance and overall composition issues. The "gotta have it" factor is about as relavent as Paris Hilton. Even when we do beat the Vette by 3 points.

I agree my friend, whatever floats your boat, right? It's all matter of the chemistry between the driver and the car. Granted if money is an issue you have to pick the car that fits your budget best and if money is no object then pick the one you like most, who cares if it's Chevy, Porsche or whatever. Z06 is a respectable car, not my favorite car but a serious contender. Last night there was Mustang Cobra at the light in front of me and there was a yellow Z06 next to it. They started slow and rolled, the Z06 kept in the 1st gear waiting for the Stang to go for it. Sure enough the Cobra floored the car and so did the Z06. Guess what, the Z06 lost control of his car and the car started sliding. Such a powerful car. Sadly the mustang took off and vette stayed behind

Bully for the Corvette!!!! But I'd rather have the Porsche.

To me there head issues and heart issues. The head may say Z06 better car, but (subjectively) my heart says P-CAR!!!!

Cheers.

Wow, you guys have totally turned my image of Porsche owners around, some class acts here. My only comment is that I wouldn't consider a 400+ HP GT3 underpowered by any means. It is still one awesome machine. Maybe I'll see one of you guys around the panhandle of Florida one of these days

What did they say about the Exige S? I see anybody mentioned it?

Quote:
    Mike S said:

In the comparison test it was denounced: "No cupholders,
    no Alcantara, is noisier than a Lexus, and no room for
    a full box of of 375 H&H."

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    Wow, you guys have totally turned my image of Porsche owners around, some class acts here. My only comment is that I wouldn't consider a 400+ HP GT3 underpowered by any means. It is still one awesome machine. Maybe I'll see one of you guys around the panhandle of Florida one of these days

Boy no kidding. Not doing too much for stereotypes around here. And Porsche owners complain about the same exact thing coming from Ferrari owners. Cars are cars. If they drive great who cares what it says on the badge. If a Ford Mustng suddenly became one of the greatest drivers cars in the world you bet I would buy one. That's why I sold my Ferrari and my M3 and bought a Z06. Smartest thing i've done in a while.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:

In the comparison test it was denounced: "No cupholders,
    no Alcantara, is noisier than a Lexus, and no room for
    a full box of of 375 H&H."

LOL! It's a track toy!

We're all winners, no matter which car you buy. Life if good.

My parents neighbor has an Elise, a couple times he's tried to rev at me when i'm pulling out in the Z.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

The question to me as a Porsche owner for the past 22 years is why Porsche can't build a lighter , more powerful GT3 ( or 911 line for that matter ) if a lunk of a truck manufacturing company like GM can ? ( I.e., the GT3 should have 500 hp and weigh 2900 lbs )

Uh, I am sure they are capable of that... porsche is a company of marketing genius, am I right? They produce each of their cars perfectly where they want it to fall in their product line up. I think manufactures leave the whole go all out with power and blah blah blah to the tuners. Companies like porsche create their products knowing where it fits in their product line up. We wouldnt want the production GT3 to compete too much with their other cars, right? Perfect example is the cayman S, placed perfectly where it should be in the hierarchy... 300hp, pricing, etc.

I think the 997 GT3 is a wonderful car, as others have said, porsche is probably quite aware that GM has made a stunning corvette, however I think porsche isnt that worried about it. They have a market for themselves... im sure the 997 GT3 will be plenty profitable.

I hope that made sense.... lol.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    If one were to compare the GT3 and Z06 by objective numbers alone, ie. performance measures, I'm quite sure the Z06 would win in just about every category: acceleration, G forces on skid pad, lap times on track, braking distance (that might be the closest one, and maybe a win for the Porsche, though the Vette is lighter), etc., despite the Z06 using runflats!

While I agree that the number of points awarded to price may have been subjective in this comparison, price alone is not subjective at all - it can be measured pretty accurately, and it is very relevant infomation which I do understand trying to factor into the comparison. If a car can perform better than its more expensive competitor, then that is important news. I'm sure that many Z06 and Vette drivers find satisfaction in knowing that their cars can outperform GT3's and 997's at a fraction of the cost, just as Porsche owners who can't afford Ferraris might get the same satisfaction if Porsches of today could outperform the flashy stallions.

It is in fact the subjective measures that lead us here at Rennteam to prefer the Porsche to the Corvette - the things that can't readily be measured, and often the things that make us create exclusionary sandboxes that carry a price for admission. I find the "stay away if you can't afford it" comments disturbing.

Let's face it: if our decision was based on objective measures alone, we'd have to get the Z06.

Sensational post, Silver Bullet!

Makes sense to me anyway...

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

Uh, I am sure they are capable of that... porsche is a company of marketing genius, am I right? They produce each of their cars perfectly where they want it to fall in their product line up. I think manufactures leave the whole go all out with power and blah blah blah to the tuners. Companies like porsche create their products knowing where it fits in their product line up. We wouldnt want the production GT3 to compete too much with their other cars, right? Perfect example is the cayman S, placed perfectly where it should be in the hierarchy... 300hp, pricing, etc.

I think the 997 GT3 is a wonderful car, as others have said, porsche is probably quite aware that GM has made a stunning corvette, however I think porsche isnt that worried about it. They have a market for themselves... im sure the 997 GT3 will be plenty profitable.

I hope that made sense.... lol.

That is about the most level headed response I have seen. While I don't agree with the comment about the pricing on the Cayman S being appropriate... ($50k+ for 300hp???) I still think the car is stunning.

However back to what I was talking about, Porsche knows that the Z06, while as amazing a car it is.... it won't steal many sales from Porsche. Porsche has a dedicated following of fans and enthusiasts, as does the Corvette Z06. GM built the Z06 for its fans and enthusiasts to show that yes, they are more than capable of building a world class car that can compete with and win against the best sports cars in the world, and do it at a much cheaper price. Each car company will sell cars based on the fact that people love them. Those of you lucky enough to own any of them should quit your whining about each other, and enjoy them. There are thousands of us who wouldn't complain whether or not we were driving a Z06 or a GT3, but would rather just love to have either.

^ Thank you, I am not sure I was discussing if the price of the Cayman is "appropriate" however, I do see it appropriately priced within Porsche's line up. And I agree the GT3 and Z06 are wonderful cars.

-Andrew

The Vette interior does look plasticy. GM probably cut the cord when it came time to sprucing that up. I don't think I'd get any kind of a visceral buzz from the Vette not unless I could have one of everything, then it wouldn't matter.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755815 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431803 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258911 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256019 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80016 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869064 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803227 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM