Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Today I learned why we pay so much for our Turbos

Show me your Z06 and F430 snow pics, dudes.

UNBELIEVABLE snow performance with the Porsche approved NOKIAN winter tires, I've never been THAT impressed in my life with a sportscar winter driving performance.
    Shortly before and after, I drove our Cayenne Turbo S (winter tires too, Pirelli Scorpion Ice&Snow) and I can tell you that I felt a thousands times safer in my 997 Turbo. Absolutely unbelievable braking performance on snow, very late PSM response and despite the automatic tranny no traction problems at all. I just LOVE this car, especially now.

Yes, this was my first day on snow with this baby, we had a pretty warm weather over here for the last couple of weeks.

Btw: I saw a couple of other 911 driving around and a SL55 AMG driver who left his car at our fuel station because despite the winter tires, he couldn't move on.

Sorry for the bad picture quality, my Palm Treo 750v is a great business phone but the camera sucks.

Re: Today I learned why we pay so much for our Turbos

So the Turbo IS the real Snow Porsche!

For the sake of Lamborghinis honor I found this.

Re: Today I learned why we pay so much for our Tur

Impressive indeed.

Very nice picture too .

Is that rennteam HQ in the background? Nice pic.

If i would have known that you have time, i would have given you a call. I was 2 hours drifting with a friend in "Inningen". A great time. I have some video sequences. Maybe i have a movie till next week

Quote:
    racerx said:

Yep, Rennteam HQ. All money gone for car, kids and wife...this is all what was left for our HQ.

i see you've got PCCBs...how do they hold up in the cold?

RC: Glad your turbo's snow cherry has been popped We found out the Turbo is GREAT in snow a little while ago already.

Great pic!!

I drive a lot to and around our Lake Tahoe place - snow or ice on hills , minus 10 degree F temps ,etc. Nokian WRs are the best " Snowflake in the Mountain " sidewall symboled VR speed rated tires I have used on my cars there from Nov-May compared to my recent past experience with some of the more widely found winter tires from places like Tire Rack. They perform very well in the Bay Area during these months, too. ("All Season" M+S tires are a joke in these conditions , BTW )

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The Gallardo is an absolutely beautiful car AND it becomes so with the very weird "origami" design vocabulary.

A wonderful example of a brilliant design success.

Other "origami" cars look like overdone, watered-down, please-everybody failures.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The Gallardo is an absolutely beautiful car AND it becomes so with the very weird "origami" design vocabulary.

A wonderful example of a brilliant design success.

Other "origami" cars look like overdone, watered-down, please-everybody failures.

That's a Murcielago .

That Lambo ( and the Turbo to some extent , too), when properly equipped with winter tires, would both make great snowplows if caught out in heavy mountain snow . Ask me how I know . Eevn with light snow , these sports cars have such minimal wheel well liner clearance that they form " icebergs " that solidly wedge between the tire's tread and wheel well , causing " interesting " steering adventures !

I love taking my 997S on 18" winter tires around in the snow...it's the other drivers I'm afraid of!

RC, just wondering...did you get another set of stock 19" turbo wheels to mount the Nokian winters on? Would they fit on a set of 19" Carrera S "lobster forks?" I thinking of getting the PCCBs on my 997TT and I want to try to find the most economical way to get a set of winter wheels that fit.

Yes these Nokian are great in snow. It' s my second season with them and , in the snow or on very cold roads they are exellent. I do find that they wear out a lot on warmer pavement. The back ones on my car would need to be changed now...

it sounds nice! what about the awd system's efficacy?I read somewhere that is too much rwd than awd.....

Great snow pic RC. The TT is really proving that it IS the all-weather daily use sports car.

This is why I love Porsche cars so much ... it's because they can be driven all year round ....

I remember an article in Panorama or Christophorus 4-5 years ago about a "stock" (except tyres and wheels) 996 C4 crossing Australia ... pictures were just amazing !!!

Quote:
    RC said:

UNBELIEVABLE snow performance with the Porsche approved NOKIAN winter tires, I've never been THAT impressed in my life with a sportscar winter driving performance.

Sounds like real fun I'm still waiting for snow to make my first snow experiences with my humble 987 S. Did you take out your wife's Boxster S into the snow also (any words on the Boxster's snow performance )

Here is a nice vid showing how much fun it can be to drive a Porsche on snow (snow fun commences after Walter's hot lap in the dry - at 1:00 min):

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=3619443693981877229&q=Nurburgring

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    ... my humble 987 S...

Porsche-Jeck, I've seen your car with my own eyes. It's an absolute peach!! It's one of the nicest specified Boxsters I have ever seen. It certainly isn't 'humble'!

Christian you are now really streching to justify the 997TT. Driving a high performance sport car in the snow makes as much sense as mixing water with German beer.

Thanks for your nice words, Easy
    And don't worry - I just love "the little one" (no buyer's remorse at all) Maybe humble is the wrong word indeed, but I have been just fantasizing about how much fun a rear-engined high powered 4wd sportscar in the snow must be - I guess no other car can come close
    Somehow it reminds me of my student's days in my old VW Beetle (same MY as myself ) - a slouch during summer, but in the snow I felt like driving a supercar overtaking all the struggling BMW and MB (with no electronic aids at that time) - driving in the snow with the right tool is soooo cool

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Driving a high performance sport car in the snow makes as much sense as mixing water with German beer.

Living in San Diego I take it that you're not too familiar with that kind of fun - you don't know what your missing

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Driving a high performance sport car in the snow makes as much sense as mixing water with German beer.

Living in San Diego I take it that you're not too familiar with that kind of fun - you don't know what your missing

... but somehow Nick is right about the comparison with the water and the German beer.

Quote:
    racerx said:

Looks pretty high-tech!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

... but somehow Nick is right about the comparison with the water and the German beer.

Let's say the comparison is 50% right
    Nick is right that both exercises (driving Porsche on snow and mixing water with German beer) do not make any sense, but (as opposed to drinking watered beer- where's the vomiting smiley ) driving a Porsche on snow is big fun

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Christian you are now really streching to justify the 997TT. Driving a high performance sport car in the snow makes as much sense as mixing water with German beer.

Nick, it makes as much sense as you using an all-wheel drive SUV ( Cayenne S ) in arid, flat ,paved San Diego . (Need it in case of a Pacific Ocean tsunami ?)

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, it makes as much sense as you using an all-wheel drive SUV ( Cayenne S ) in arid, flat ,paved San Diego . (Need it in case of a Pacific Ocean tsunami ?)

Or using a 500 bhp sports car to pose at 30 mph...

Quote:
    Crash said:

Or using a 500 bhp sports car to pose at 30 mph...

You mean all the 500 hp sedans and sports cars lined up at a typical Orange County Starbuck's Coffee drive through ? RC uses his car as it's " mechanically engineered" to be used - some use it only as it's " socially engineered " to be used . To each his own

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick you are incorrigible...simply lost in the error of your pathetic ways. You remind me of the Janis Joplin song "Oh Lord won't you buy me a mercedes benz"... cause you always seem to hang out with your friends that drive porsches. Do you have nightmares in your sleep..where you are constantly looking at the tail lights of a Porsche...I'm just trying to expose how deep this porsche fixation goes...Is there a doctor in the house, Nick needs help.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM