Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Which Grey ?

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    Thanks for the info.

Atlas v Slate, I perfer Slate.

The only good advice you can get is this one: go see for yourself at some porsche dealer. Digital cameras are a great invention, but there are so many out there wich are icapable of showing you the true color that looking at pics won't help you a bit.

I saw zillion pics of slate on rennteam. Then I saw it in real and though at first it was meteor. I would have sweared it was meteor. But obviously I was completely wrong.

See the colors for yourself. Pics never do justice. Some colors are -just impossible to capture, like cocoa brown or slate. It will always look darker, lighter, greyer than it actually is.

Amazon,

Totally agree, you have to see them in person to truly decide.

I agree that choosing colours off a monitor isn't really going to work This (below), for instance, looks like Polar. But it's just a dodgy photoshop image that I knocked-up because I'm bored..

Slate, for sure!

Don't know but the color is very nice.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Amazon,

Totally agree, you have to see them in person to truly decide.

Depends on your personality too.

We DO have the color chips on the back cover of the brochures.

Some colors should be seen in person, GT Silver for example is a "must see" because the sparkles/flecks in the paint are much bigger and very impressive in person.

Other PAINT colors? I dunno.

You DEFINITELy have to see cocoa interiors in person because ALL photos of them look like sheet.

Remember- that alot of us had to buy/order our cars sight unseen at the beginning. Nobody's really regretted what they wound up with from that "era."

One thing's for sure: "shopping" for a Porsche by visiting the showroom and the lot and actually seeing lots of examples/possibilities IS alot of fun.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    One thing's for sure: "shopping" for a Porsche by visiting the showroom and the lot and actually seeing lots of examples/possibilities IS alot of fun.

That is very true.

Slate Grey on a GT3...

...sold in the UK...

Thanks again!

Now I am pretty sure the GT3 that I posted at this thread is Slate.

Can't believe how much I like this colour, very special IMO.

What about Atlas Grey GT3?

Anyone?

Looks gorgeous!

Slate also seems to have a slight touch of brown in it, just like seal grey only a bit darker. So slate should go with brown interiors (e.g. cocoa ) quite well.

nice one!
    Can't remember the last time I saw my car this clean!!!

Regarding this thread, I'd say it is indeed slate but not 100% sure, seems very dark. Then again, it's very light dependant.

Slate varies a lot with sunlight, it's almost brown sometimes!

I got some more pics,
    also think it's slate grey

Nice one at the back, what about at front?

Looks like my slate 997 to me.

atlas rules

The picture is Atlas grey, in my opinion. I just had a choice between Atlas grey and silver. I chose silver, but only because the Atlas grey cab had black interior. I liked the contrast of silver exterior. The Atlas was a great color which I would have preferred, but only with a lighter interior. I hope that helps. Cheers.

Why is it common to buy a car off the forecourt in the US? Here in Europe, we tend to order our cars EXACTLY to our individual specification and we are prepared to wait some months for this (even though this can be painful )

I'm just curious - that's all.

Although the Rennteam and Rennlist members are exceptions, most Americans are seeking instant gratification in Porsche buying. If you order and have to wait you don't get that. I ordered and waited over a year for just what I wanted.

I have a great deal of respect for people like you who are prepared to wait for exactly the specification they desire.

Walking into a dealer and buying a sportscar (which only has some of the options one might want) on the spot (with collection maybe 1-2 days later) strikes me as being impatient. Like popping into a KFC and ordering a take away meal. I'm all for spontaneity and impulsiveness in life but not at the cost of getting the right specification.

I would rather make a reservation 1-2 months ahead at the finest Michelin starred restaurant in town so that I can look forward to an exquisite experience rather than seek instant gratification.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I have a great deal of respect for people like you who are prepared to wait for exactly the specification they desire.

Walking into a dealer and buying a sportscar (which only has some of the options one might want) on the spot (with collection maybe 1-2 days later) strikes me as being impatient. Like popping into a KFC and ordering a take away meal. I'm all for spontaneity and impulsiveness in life but not at the cost of getting the right specification.

I would rather make a reservation 1-2 months ahead at the finest Michelin starred restaurant in town so that I can look forward to an exquisite experience rather than seek instant gratification.

Easy -

Maybe some people see it as just a car and are 100% happy with the way it left the factory + they get a discount (5-10%) + they get it right away.

They are simply not as difficult to please and do not have an ego which requires some unique expensive BS option. I would not automatically imply, as you do, that they are not as good or somehow inferior for not being 'patient'. (We all went to the wrong school and have meaningless jobs if I recall correctly.)

Personnally, it may be more accurate to call people who pay the lowest price and don't have to wait 'smart' and those that pay full retail and wait for months to have some BS option 'suckers'.

I have nothing against ordering your Porsche and waiting but don't try to justify your wait and extra expenditure by bad-mouthing those that chose not to play by your 'rules' and make decisions with their feet firmly on the ground.

Atlas Grey, by far!

Just a car? Sure, they can think that. I don't think that way about a Porsche.

Choosing the specs on a car to one's exact preference is 'personalisation' in my eyes and not an ego trip satisfied only by choosing "BS options".

I didn't call people who buy a car on the spot "suckers". You mistakenly assume that those who spec their car to their exact preference and wait end up paying full price. This is wrong. With some hunting around, the same kind of % discounts are available.

"Don't try to justify your wait.." Who are you to tell me what to do or what not to do?

"(We all went to the wrong school and have meaningless jobs if I recall correctly.)". You recall wrongly.

I don't wish to discuss anything with you. I would appreciate it if you would never reply to my posts. Thank you.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I don't wish to discuss anything with you. I would appreciate it if you would never reply to my posts. Thank you.

Easy: That last request sounds a bit harsh considering YOU are the one visiting this online forum. I think the only way to keep someone else from responding to your posts is just not to post.

I bought my '06 off the dealer lot. It was pretty darn close to what I would have special ordered. The "missing" sport shifter was installed by them, but in the end it was like a factory installed option.

Hmm.. I am thinking of a personalized license place, I think "KFC" might be appropriate.

After you have bought many of them, the thrill of the purchasing process is gone. The selection and transaction reduces to being just a simple business matter.

I have ordered them, bought them off the floor, bought them
    over the phone sight unseen and even to the consternation of a Porsche new car sales manager - let a dog pick one out one time.

There are plenty of Porsches new and used to select from, Its not like they are unobtainium on wheels.

America is flooded with Porsches. Just look in Hemmings or autotrader or eBay. Its not a multi day sales process here. Its more like 30 to 60 minutes of paperwork and its yours. And once you have owned more than several, they all seem to be pretty much the same.

I can understand those who want specific performance options etc.., but drive a loaded one and a stripper and the actual driver satisfaction is pretty much the same.
    You cant go wrong, they are all that good. They are very good cars, but not very special unless you get a CGT or
    modded Turbo.

IMHO any car purchase north of a Camry is an emotional purchase. With a Porsche, we're deep into emotional territory. Which is why I prefer to spec my car, even though it translates into a long wait.

I'll be driving my Targa, not what the dealer thought would sell quickly. And this is all what matters to me.

Riiiiiiight....

I'm always *so* impressed how tolerant some of my countrymen and, with respect, some of our friends from other nations are of people with differing perspectives.... Jeez.

Look, it's obvious. Atlas Grey. Anyone that doesn't agree is clearly a non-believer, not worthy of owning a P-Car. Period. They can only redeem themselves by doing three circuits - in the reverse direction - of the Nordschliefe. In a Beetle.

The others? Let them eat KFC... Oh [beep], I like KFC.

SoS.

P.S. I want my, I want my, I want my GT3

P.P.S. yes, I'm drunk.

P.P.P.S. Throt, where are you? This thread needs lightening up.

Sad to be Grey

With apologies to Tom Robinson. I agree it needs to be lightened up. Why don't we muse a while on silver and the redeeming qualities of the various shades Porsche offers and the philosophical meanings of each. Maybe it's time for our favorite Situationalist Guy Debord to come back and give us a lesson or two on what DOESN'T matter...

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    IMHO any car purchase north of a Camry is an emotional purchase. With a Porsche, we're deep into emotional territory. Which is why I prefer to spec my car, even though it translates into a long wait.

I'll be driving my Targa, not what the dealer thought would sell quickly. And this is all what matters to me.

Beautifully put especially where you say "my Targa, not what the dealer thought would sell quickly".

Knowing my car was made for me to my exact specification, with no compromises on colour/options etc, is IMO worth waiting for (particularly if those options are performance related). I have never come across a car sitting on a dealership floor that is exactly what I wanted. If anyone here was lucky enough to find that with some easy Tequipment installation (e.g. Puffy911) then that's your good fortune and I'm happy for you. But it's not the norm. IMO people usually end up compromising their exercise of choice because they give priority to the lack of waiting time, the incentives offered to sweeten the deal etc. If that's what they are happy to do, good for them. I just wouldn't do that.

IMO it doesn't matter how much money one may have - the day a person treats the purchase of any sportscar as a purely business transaction is the day their passion for those cars has died.

I have nothing against colour combinations like arctic silver/black, or, black/black. They are great. However, they are everywhere because so many dealers pre-order these colours. IMO it is somewhat sad that there is less individuality out there than there could be.

Look at Dan L who has turquoise blue with natural brown and some wood options. Not my choice BUT hats off to him for doing his own thing. His car has character and would stand out from the crowd. I may not like the lime green GT3 RS but I'm glad that choice exists. How many dealers will pre-order a Guards Red 997 in the UK? Very, very few. All they think about is how many days a car will remain unsold and how easy it will be to sell as a used model if/when it is traded in.

All I'm saying is that I think removing the exercise of choice leads to boring homogeneity through lack of imagination. Diversity can have intrinsic value.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM