Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche 997 facelift Automotive News cont

I posted an email to the Automotive News contributor who detailed the 997 facelift in the December 26, 2006 Automotive News.
    His reply to my email for clarification it is that you can expect the facelift to appear as an '09 Porsche avialable the summer of '08.
    Hopefully, he is ill-informed!!

Re: Porsche 997 facelift Automotive News cont

That sounds about right to me.

Perhaps he is ill-informed, but that would make sense.

I beg to differ. Seems to me the facelift will be out this coming Aug or Sept.

Just seems unlikely to me (a total amateur) that a minor change, from a mfgring and production point of view, would just be "shelved" for more than a year.

How can we explain the fact that they are being seen as real cars in camouflage?

Quote:
    MMD said:

Just seems unlikely to me (a total amateur) that a minor change, from a mfgring and production point of view, would just be "shelved" for more than a year.

How can we explain the fact that they are being seen as real cars in camouflage?

That is the big question! As I said earlier before, why should Porsche drive around in a nearly uncamouflaged facelifted car already now, when not presenting the facelift this autumn? But some people who are more into the theme Porsche assumed that no facelift before MY09 which means autumn 2008.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

That is the big question! As I said earlier before, why should Porsche drive around in a nearly uncamouflaged facelifted car already now, when not presenting the facelift this autumn? But some people who are more into the theme Porsche assumed that no facelift before MY09 which means autumn 2008.

LOL, Crazy.

What's funny is you look at other cars with the _pointed_ head and tail lights and they've ALREADY rounded things off.

So I bet THAT's why Porsche will SOON introduce the round-off-the-points facelift.

It's like they jumped on the _trendy_ bandwagon (like eyewear manufacturers) and now they can't get off.

Oh well... . Fact of life these days.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

LOL, Crazy.

What's funny is you look at other cars with the _pointed_ head and tail lights and they've ALREADY rounded things off.

So I bet THAT's why Porsche will SOON introduce the round-off-the-points facelift.

It's like they jumped on the _trendy_ bandwagon (like eyewear manufacturers) and now they can't get off.

Oh well... . Fact of life these days.

Exactly! At least until now, as we have only some spy pics of the facelift, the current version of the 997 looks better to me than the things to come.

Here's a comp:

Front ends (notice mirror seems bigger in new version):

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Front ends (notice mirror seems bigger in new version):

Yeah, I've noticed the bigger mirrors before, at the same pic BTW. Could be to pass new EU-regulations, just have a look at the new Mercedes C-class. Horrible mirrors (and steering wheel, but that's another story).

But back to the 997:
    If you have a look at the four pics you've posted, I think the new rear looks just a little bit different but not better and the new front looks worse than the current 997 as it is more jagged and more inharmonious.

Quote:
    Rossi said:

But back to the 997:
    If you have a look at the four pics you've posted, I think the new rear looks just a little bit different but not better and the new front looks worse than the current 997 as it is more jagged and more inharmonious.

I appreciate the mirror info... .

Rearends? I see your point. Will be ALOT of fun to see them in real life side by side. We did that with my 04M3 and a 330i (both E46). Was alot of fun to see the effect of "steroids" on a car body. No kidding, really amazing what a few changes can do to the overall feel of the "same" car.

In this photo (reposted) there's a significant change with just a few different lines. I tend to like the newer one more (dammit!); but I tend to like things more understated and less noticeable. (exception: if I buy a _Ferrari_ someday it will be red.) The pointy taillights were a slight disappointment for me when I first saw the 997; they seemed kinda trendy and not understated enough.

As far as front ends? Would be nice if they could disguise the plastic center like they did in the turbo... .

Turbo grille. Nice move to maybe get rid of "plasticky" insert of the NA 997.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

I agree that this is very strange, but there is a second, conflicting "big question". And that is how could Porsche do a facelift less than a year after the Turbo and Targa introductions? And yes, I know that the TT won't get the new front bumper, but it certainly would get the new rear lights. That big question would certainly point to a MY09 introduction.

Very strange indeed . . .

I think it will be introduced at Frankfurt auto show, and will be available early 08 as a 09 like what they are doing with the current Cayenne.

I decided not wait and will be getting an 07 in about a month.

Anyhow I suspect the real model to wait for will be the 50th anniversary 911.

Quote:
    hinckley said:

I agree that this is very strange, but there is a second, conflicting "big question". And that is how could Porsche do a facelift less than a year after the Turbo and Targa introductions?

I might be missing something but why would Porsche give a sheet? Their sales are going gangbusters.

All they have to do is start slapping on the rear bumper and tailights onto the Turbo and they're done. They don't even have to say anything since, "specifications subject to change without notice."

Yeah, it would pi** off alot of recent TT (and Carrera) buyers, but I bet they already figured out that kind of pi**ed off buyer doesn't bother the bottom line at Porsche one bit.

They're just doing whatever they have to do to sell cars. The old model of Porsche's "loyalty-to-repeat-customers" doesn't apply anymore.

Face lifted Cayennes have been running round for 2 years, but it's only next month that they go on sale. Why not 997's for another year or two in camouflage?

The rumor I've heard is that the 997 should be treated as a facelift of the 996 which will be replaced by a completely new model "998" (the real deal). Maybe this is why there is a chance that the facelift 997 will come early.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Face lifted Cayennes have been running round for 2 years, but it's only next month that they go on sale. Why not 997's for another year or two in camouflage?

That is the key right there: precedent for the spyshots of the facelift to be available long before the actual facelift becomes available.

It would be seriously bad business to offer a facelift within 12 mos of bringing out the GT3 and its variants, Turbo, and Targa.

It's basically what I have been saying all along,--it won't be out until MY09. It is needed then to put a little fresh light on the Carrreras when the center stage will mostly be filled with the Panameras.

Dan

I really think the 997 needs the facelift on the front spoiler, which looks too plain at the moment. The new one looks more sporty. I think the rear lights will look considerably better too, and make the whole back end look a little lighter, perhaps more nimble.

This facelift has grown on me considerably.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    I really think the 997 needs the facelift on the front spoiler, which looks too plain at the moment.

It's the other way round here: I prefer the plain looks of the current version, facelift's new front bumper looks far too bumpy to me.

Design alignment

What we are seeing is the work of Michael Mauer coming to fruition. The Cayenne is tweaked but gives us hints as to what the Panamera will look like in some of the details. The facelifted 997 gives us some more clues, but they probably won't make sense until Panamera shows for real. Smart move would be to freshen the 997 before launching Panamera to give it sales momentum, and then let the spotlight stay on the Panamera for a couple of years. Interestingly no signs of facelifted Boxsters or Caymans yet...

Re: Design alignment

Regarding front spoiler. What ever happened to Form following function?

It's like "more BS" is better these days.

Why is "more aggressive" better? Freaks me out! Like there's a bunch of pi**ed off drivers demanding "more aggressive" cars!

Geez! IMHO, what they did here is awful:

996 production started 1998.
    996 facelifted 3 years later in late 2001.

997 production started 2004.
    997 facelift expected 3 years later in late 2007?

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Interestingly no signs of facelifted Boxsters or Caymans yet...

That's an easy question to "answer:"

Because Cayman and Boxster taillights are NOT as trendy looking.

Porsche wanted to create a buzz for the Carrera intro and did a Nissan Z/BMW X4 number on it. Now they want to round things off (do the facelift) because the buzz is waaaay gone:

Cayman---Carrera---NissanZ

The Z has perhaps the worst taillights ever produced ...

Quote:
    MMD said:

Why is "more aggressive" better? Freaks me out! Like there's a bunch of pi**ed off drivers demanding "more aggressive" cars!

Absolutely agree MMD.

Interesting...

When you look more closely at the front and back of the 997 how they don't match. The front looks like 993 take II, the rear looks like Chris Bangle did the "slash" lines between the bodywork and lights. The front and back don't really connect. Hopefully the refresh will harmonize the two ends.

Quote:
    MMD said:

I definitely hear you, but IMO, the facelifted front end is a good compromise betweed the aerokit/GT3 front end (agreed: too busy) and the current 997 front end (too plain/conservative)

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Here's a comp:

Those rear lamps look more Yokohama than Stuttgart.German cars should look German.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688672 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408745 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255544 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857609 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773443 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM