Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

-20mm sports chassis : best kept secret ?

Couple of interesting views on the sports chassis option in this month's GT Purely Porsche. I bet a whole lot more people would order this if the demo cars were more widely available - instead of being scared off by the potential of buying an unliveably firm car.

Stuart Gallacher:
    "The ride quality? Think 993: that tight, secure, solid feeling that provides aa perfect balance between comfort and ultimate control"

Chris Harris:
    "Suspension movement is reduced, the damping is firmer - but that shouldn't be confused with a severe reduction in comfort, because the car is stll supple."

And Harris on the combination of PCCBs and the -20mm option:
    "They certainly make an invaluable contribution... with the sports chassis option, because I've driven a similar car on steel brakes and it was five percent harsher over UK roads: a small but perceptible difference that tipped the car from being every day comfortable to everyday bearable".

Re: -20mm sports chassis : best kept secret ?

I wonder why we can't get that in the states

Quote:
    rhino said:

What can't you get in the States? -20mm suspension?

Quote:
    SimonWall said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

What can't you get in the States? -20mm suspension?

Yes, we get neither the -20mm suspension nor the option to have LSD (which comes with -20mm suspension)

The proffered excuse is that it rides too low to meet the bumper height requirement (which is the hugest joke possible, given the plethora of trucks and SUVs). The response could be, so put springs on it that make the ride height the same as PASM in sport mode.

Quote:
    Jim_in_Iowa said:
    The proffered excuse is that it rides too low to meet the bumper height requirement (which is the hugest joke possible, given the plethora of trucks and SUVs). The response could be, so put springs on it that make the ride height the same as PASM in sport mode.

It's called 20mm since the car is 20mm lower than normal. Once you 'add' springs it's no longer 20mm lower. It's all about 'low'. As for LSD, it's illegal in the US and I can't believe people can drive on that stuff in Europe.

But seriously Porsche - give us LSD, we can handle LSD - nobody needs to know.

PNA made a hash of it

They could have had -20mm option that much was Crystal clear, but they made a hash of the federal approval system. They fiddled with suspension joints for too long (I guess a basic lack of Speed) until the Feds went "Bong! Time out". Sadly no Meth to their madness. What a bunch of roaches!

Re: PNA made a hash of it

Porsche has long had a history of US v. ROW suspension. The -20 option the 997 falls into this split. When the 997 came out, I drove it, was impressed and immediately told my dealer that I want to order a -20mm car. They tried and could get no committment on the option in the US.

I wrote PCNA Peter Schwarzenbegeweiser, explaining my history with Porsche and my keen interest (dealbreaker) in the -20mm. No response.

I then bought a 996 GT3.

But the 997 still called. So later bought a US spec open-diff car. Awesome car, but in need of an LSD, in my opinion.

Yes, the LSD is what I would want the most

I love my -20mm :-)
    Just to tease you...
    LSD on tight corners on the wet is just awesome :-)

If anyone asks me what do I like the most in the 997... I'd say the "-20mm suspension/rear LSD" without a doubt, the handling ability and feel they managed to achieve with it is simply amazing.

Maybe Porsche has made a secret agreement with all aftermarket tuners in the US. Don't offer the -20 suspension drop here and get a percentage of the profits from the shops that sell those springs to us unsuspecting saps. Just kidding..

Do they even offer the 20mm drop for the Turbo in Europe?

No, unfortunately, -20mm sports suspension with rear LSD is only available:

A) as a no-cost option on:

1) 997 C2S coupe
    2) 997 C4S coupe

or, B) as a cost option on:

3) 997 C2 coupe provided it has 19 inch wheels
    4) 997 C4 coupe provided it has 19 inch wheels

From my memory, I seem to recall (pls correct me if I'm mistaken), it is also necessary also to have manual transmission i.e. no -20mm for Tiptronic S cars.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Maybe Porsche has made a secret agreement with all aftermarket tuners in the US. Don't offer the -20 suspension drop here and get a percentage of the profits from the shops that sell those springs to us unsuspecting saps. Just kidding..

It would be fine if that's all that was needed. But adding those lower springs to PASM (no other option in US for 997S) without the proper non-PASM dampers, swaybars and transmission with LSD is useless (or almost useless). You basically can't get there from here

My thoughts on -20mm sports suspension have been mentioned before in other threads. I completely agree with what Carlos from Spain has said. It is utterly phenomenal.

The handling, responsiveness to steering input, feedback, steering feel etc are unbelievable.

IMO, it is the best kept secret in the 997 Carrera line up. Whilst PASM is good, offering a more comfortable set up well suited to the needs of people more used to a Mercedes Benz or BMW, for the sportier driver, PASM Normal is too soft and PASM Sport is very, very firm (not too firm though) but IMO is too 'bouncy' and feels detached from the road at the same time.

BTW, I don't agree with GT Purely Porsche about the -20mm with PCCB being "perfectly comfortable" while taking away PCCBs makes the ride on -20mm with red caliper brakes "perfectly bearable".

I have a lot of respect for Chris Harris but he is IMO 'finding' distinctions which do not exist. IMO both the -20mm with red calipers and -20mm with PCCBs are perfectly acceptable for daily use and both are comfortable enough for those who like a firm sporty ride.

I just wish more people in the EU and the RoW would take the leap of faith needed to choose P17 -20mm. It is nothing short of a revelation.

The only difference is that with PCCBs, there is less unsprung weight so handling is improved. That doesn't automatically mean improved ride 'comfort'.

The bottom line is that IMO, as sergini once put it, PASM is for a GT ride whereas -20mm is for a sporty ride.

Body roll becomes almost non-existent. The car sits a full 1cm lower. It looks more aggressive. When you drive it, it feels like a sports car should feel.

You guys in the US and Canada who aren't even offered this possibility, I feel so very sorry for you.

BTW, don't believe the rumours about hearing the locking diff when you reverse etc. I've never experienced any of that. Just take it really slow over the speed bumps!

Why aren't they allowed to sell LSD in the USA? Does that mean no american cars have LSDs as standard?

I don't know the reasons I'm afraid. Some of the US guys here should know the details hopefully...anyone?

Quote:
    jamesaug said:
    Why aren't they allowed to sell LSD in the USA? Does that mean no american cars have LSDs as standard?

Lots of cars have LSD standard in the USA - Corvette Z06, Pontiac Solstice, Mazda MX5, BMW M models and Porsche GT models for starters...

Quote:
    jamesaug said:

I think that remark did not relate to mechanical LSD, but the chemical version

Am I missing something?The -20mm suspension is not available in the USA because of the lowered ride height but you CAN get the GT3 which is 30mm lower than standard????

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I don't know the reasons I'm afraid. Some of the US guys here should know the details hopefully...anyone?

I think the above post was in jest. As in, LSD being a controlled substance.

Anyway, as to the folks comments above on the -20mm option, it's interesting to note that the GT3 and GT3 RS has PASM, rather than the non active damping of the -20mm.

I personally think that as the PASM technology progresses, it will continue to offer outstanding body control that is tough if not impossible to duplicate by non active, conventional damping.

Quote:
    frayed said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Anyway, as to the folks comments above on the -20mm option, it's interesting to note that the GT3 and GT3 RS has PASM, rather than the non active damping of the -20mm.

I personally think that as the PASM technology progresses, it will continue to offer outstanding body control that is tough if not impossible to duplicate by non active, conventional damping.

The PASM on the GT3 does indeed feel much better then the PASM on the Carrera. You don't get the feeling that you are cut off from the road.
    I am sure PASM on the Carrera will improve on the next version and that it will become the best choice, but for the moment, on the Carrera, PASM is not satisfying, unless you are looking for comfort

Quote:
    frayed said:I think the above post was in jest. As in, LSD being a controlled substance.

Oh, I missed that. Anyways, it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to find the chemical version in the USA than on a non-GT Porsche these days

Quote:
    frayed said:

I think the signs seem to be that the later iterations (GT3, Turbo & Targa) are improved over the Carrera.
    Particularly wrt to what appears to be a far more useable 'Sport' setting on the latter two.

I agree; seems the improvements to the active damping provide a better setup than in the 997S. I owned a 997S w/PASM and liked it well enough, but thought the Sport setting was unusable. I have high hopes for PASM in my upcoming GT3. If for some reason it doesn't pass muster, I'll defang it and get a set of Motons in there.

I agree that the -20 solution is the best for those demanding a 997S that falls more on the sporting side than comfort. And, it's the only way you can get the LSD in those cars. But the use of PASM on the GT cars signals that Porsche is going to stick with it, and the early adopters of those cars are very positive about it.

Quote:
    frayed said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I know But I chose to grasp the more serious issue of why Porsche doesn't allow a LSD-equipped 997 Carrera variant to be available in the US market?

My conspiracy theory is this:

Porsche knew that the RS could not be brought into the US with all the goodies: carbon fiber seats, rollbar, lexan, etc.

Accordingly, to differentiate it from the GT3, the GT3 came with a mandatory sunroof, and of course, no clubsport option.

To further maintain model delineation, the 997S came with mandatory PASM; no LSD and -20mm.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Seriously, I got no answer from PCNA, and certainly it is not a ride height issue b/c the GT3 is slammed.

Since PASM is computer controlled there should be some way to 'tune' the system with software (which is likely what the factory did - has anyone heard of hardware changes?). Improvements in the software (new settings and aftermarket settings) should be applicable to older PASM cars.

Like the GT3 with PASM, it is possible to lower the ride height of the US 997S or 997PASM cars. Champion sells springs for PASM cars to lower the car and Bilstein is coming up with a PSS9 version for PASM. With software updates and proper ride height the PASM cars may have a bright future yet.

I agree with Frayed that active suspensions are the way to go in the future. If F1 baned it it must be good

Now LSDifferential is a different story - there is no good excuse I can see for it not being in the US. It can't be a PASM limitation since the GT3 has it. My wifes G35 4 door sedan (6speed ) has it!

Can you order a non GT3 997 in Europe (or anywhere) with PASM and LSD ifferential?

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:
    Can you order a non GT3 997 in Europe (or anywhere) with PASM and LSD ifferential?

No, you can't. It's either PASM, or sport chassis+LSD.

Which implies that if you want the LSD, you have to order a coupé (the sport chassis is too stiff for the cab and targa).

The PSS9 for PASM is already available - I'd love to get a review from someone that installed it. It's very tempting...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755611 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431734 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258899 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79960 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869026 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803144 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM