Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bridgestone Tires

Advice needed, I am planning on changing the tires on my 997 (19" carrera S alloys) very soon - currently have Michelin's.

Here in Japan Bridgestone seem to be very popular and the OPC's are keen to recommend them or Michelin. Anyone had any experience with them? Any advice would be appreciated. The Bridgestone's are actually the cheapest option too by about USD 200.00 for a set.

Re: Bridgestone Tires

stay w/ MIchelins.

michelins..why fool around for 200 bucks

Couldn't care less about the price, I am not paying for them anyways! The reason why I mentioned it is the dealers tend to recommend the most expensive product in Japan - high price - high quality thinking etc but a few people I have spoken to seem to be keen on the Bridgestone tires EVEN though they are the cheaper option. I will go with Michelin's again - safest option. Tried and tested and very much impressed!

I have the Brdigestone on mine as they came.
    No problems at all.

Apparently they understeer a bit more than Michelins, but not so you'll notice on the road.

I think Conti's are the other tyre Porsche use, but have heard they understeer a lot.

It's the payoff between more longevity and less grip, and vice versa.

ps2's are terrible in greek roads
    im trying to find bridge's or conti's
    what do u think?

I love my Bridgestone 960AS tires.

Speak as you find - Michelins for me.

Sorry, I meant to say - for cold weather! These are All Season tires with excellent wet and even snow/ice traction as well as quiet road manners. (full size 295/30/19) They give away very little in dry traction!

Pilots are great (I have bought dozens) when new and for the first 4K miles but not for cold weather.

Been quite pleased with my Bridgestones for the past 8000 miles on my 997S Cab (06). But I think I should try something else just to see if there is much difference.

Dan

I'm a big bridgestone fan. S02As on my S2000. S03s on my BMW. Great tires. Predictably breakaway, great rain traction.

Never had them on a pcar though.

I am very happy with my Bridgestones as well. In all weather conditions it serves its purpose and I am what you may call an aggresive driver and our traffic generally is fast. Michelins may be a little better for the first 2000km than it will not even be comparable at least with my driving.

Mine came with Bridgestones and I have no complaints about traction but road noise is a bit high at times,

Why does anybody got PZero tyres?

My ex9964S had Conti's on it ,then i changed them to PZero Assimetrico. I was very pleased

My G had PS2 , i also changed them PZero Rosso's. The best performance tyre i ve driven.

Why Porsche's do not use Pirelli.

I ve seen most of Porsche has Continental or Michelin PS.

Bridegostone is so noisy at high speeds , and i feel so much understeer also it makes the uncomfortable. B'Stone RE050 is fit my A4 2.0T Q. I
    am not pleased with RE050.

Some 997 come with P zero...

Mine came with Bridgestone...and I am very happy with them, but I do not have others to compare to on this car

I'm sure both Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone RE050A are good enough tires for most people on the street. However their prices are quite different. A set of 4 Michelin is US $1614, while Bridgestone is $1026.

The comment from Queram and VGA18 is so different that make picking one over the other even more confusing...

PS2's or Pirelli Nero's

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    I'm sure both Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone RE050A are good enough tires for most people on the street. However their prices are quite different. A set of 4 Michelin is US $1614, while Bridgestone is $1026.

The comment from Queram and VGA18 is so different that make picking one over the other even more confusing...

Ok let me expalin exactly.

On my A4 2.0 TFSI it has Dunlop sports. I ve changed them at 10k km. That tyres are very noisy. I tried everything filled tyres with N2 also. Then i ve changed them to Michelin Pilot Sport. That tyres was great and for me it is the best for my A4. But i ve changed them last month to Bridgestone RE050. That Re050 is the most uncomfortable tyres i ve driven in all of cars. The car has much understeer also noisy.

Btw if you check the Top-Gear F430 test the test drivers mentioned that it may have better time with PZero Rossos than RE050's.

For Michelin PS2 vs PZero Rosso comparison i ve driven both tyres on Gallardo. I found Pzero Rosso is better than Michelin PS2's

Conclusion:
    In a super car Pzero Rosso is the tyre that i will never change.(maybe PZero Corsa).

In a middle class performance car Michelin Pilot Sport is the best tyre for me. I will never change it to Bridgestone again.

On my previous car (a BMW 328i), I had factory fitted Bridgestone Potenza RE040. When I changed them, I fitted Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position.

Both tyres were quiet for 2000-3000 miles. Then they started getting noisier and noisier. Never again!

I must say though that wet and dry grip was amazing in the Bridgestones. Even worse than the noise was the tram-lining on the motorway: absolutely terrible!

I love my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s!!

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:

for my weekend sprint ,I went on a 100km run at 4AM in the morning on a deserted highway. Temperature is 5-6 dgress Celcius. Up t0 280km/h topspeed and I tried verious lane changes and heavy braking with the Bridgestones. I am satisfied. My car has 6500 km now and it is aggresively daily driven on regular basis. I did not have any Michelins on my Porsche but from my experience so far in my M3, they lasted 2000 km perfectly and another 3000 so so and after 5000 km they were changed. This is with high speed driving only no burnouts (I admit maybe some drifts but I do the same with my C4S as well) With the same kind of driving I managed to get more than 12000km with the oriiginal Contis on my M3. Dry traction of Contis were aliitle less than Michelins when the Michelins were new and on wet Michelins just sucked.

Everybody has their own style of driving and Michelins just did not deliver for me on daliy driving basis. My car is an everyday joy and no matter how good I will not pay extreme prices every 2000 kms. Michelins wear out very fast and I do not like that.

PS: I did not get any chance to compare roadnoise with any brands but its ok for me. Our roads are [beep] anyways so roadnoise is the least of my worries.

I just write what I worte above to tell my experience about my current tires. Please do not tell my about my irresponsibilities and such, this is how it works here. I do not expect you to understand me so lets look at it just for the sake of Bridgestones.

Hello Queram, VGA18 and easy_rider 911,

Thanks very much for your inputs even though I'm still confused.....

Since both the Bridgestone and Michelin are OEM Porsche 997 tires, I'm sure they are both good enough for most drivers.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:

Since both the Bridgestone and Michelin are OEM Porsche 997 tires, I'm sure they are both good enough for most drivers.

Tim can you rephrase your question again we maybe better help or you can shoot me a PM and I'll try to be as much help as I can.

I have a 2005 Carrera S with 19 inch rims. I recently replaced the stock Pilots with Bridestone RE960 Pole Positions. The Pilots rode like crap. The Bridgestones ride much smoother, handle just as good, have double the treadwear rating and cost less. The clowns on this board will say that they aren't Porsche approved, yet they are a new tire (so Porsche probably hasn't tsested them yet) and come in the stock size for the Carrera S. They were developed specifically as an option for Carrera S owners. I've had them on the car for 6 months. They ride great. Go with the Bridgestones.

Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:

Tim can you rephrase your question again we maybe better help or you can shoot me a PM and I'll try to be as much help as I can.

Dear Queram,

I know everyone will have their own preference towards how their tires should perform or how long they should last. That's fair and no argument needed.

But I'm confused because both you and VGA18 have experienced with Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone RE050A, but your comments are opposite to each other. You said you hated PS2, but VGA18 hated Bridgestone. Both of you have good enough reasons to support your decision. For an uninformed buyer like me, I don't know how to pick based on this thread.

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:

Dear Queram,

I know everyone will have their own preference towards how their tires should perform or how long they should last. That's fair and no argument needed.

But I'm confused because both you and VGA18 have experienced with Michelin PS2 and Bridgestone RE050A, but your comments are opposite to each other. You said you hated PS2, but VGA18 hated Bridgestone. Both of you have good enough reasons to support your decision. For an uninformed buyer like me, I don't know how to pick based on this thread.

Thanks for your input.

Although I just found out reading this whole thread again that VGA18 and I live in the same city, I do not know his driving style and such. I want to make it clear that I did not have any chance with Pilots on my Porsche however I had them on my M3 and on my brothers 5er BMW. They did not last and after the cream part it just did not deliver for me. Most people will tell you similar things about the threadlife of Michelins maybe I am too harsh on the tires. I also take wet surface and low temperetaure in my comparison, maybe VGA18 only drives in good weather.

Mine came with the Conti's. As far as oversteeting goes, I guess I don't notice much, but in turns - especially sharp turns, I tend to push the throttle to help me through.

I think the Conti's are better in the rain, which is critical for me given that there are quite a few heavy rains here in western Virginia.

Jim

Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Targa Tim said:

Dear Queram,

Thanks for your input.

Although I just found out reading this whole thread again that VGA18 and I live in the same city, I do not know his driving style and such. I want to make it clear that I did not have any chance with Pilots on my Porsche however I had them on my M3 and on my brothers 5er BMW. They did not last and after the cream part it just did not deliver for me. Most people will tell you similar things about the threadlife of Michelins maybe I am too harsh on the tires. I also take wet surface and low temperetaure in my comparison, maybe VGA18 only drives in good weather.

Dear Queram,
    For G, it is true i drive it only for good weather , but my A4 i drove it mostly at bad weather days

For comparison of PS and RE on it(A4), i'd go for PS. You have mentioned that your M3's Michelin's life was not so long, is there any possibility about production failure?
    Anyways M3 is a pure performance car but a4 is a medium perfromance daily car. Also i've driven my A4 about 50k km with PS on it.

Now it has RE but i am not happy really it does have noise especailly at high speeds above 140 (at TEM autobahn).

For PS2 vs PZero Rosso comparison , most of G owners have PZero systems(corsa or Rosso) on their cars.imo it is the most suitable tyre for that car. And i feel the car better with Pzero Rosso's.

@TargaTim,
    I understand your confusion but perhaps each brand tyre may show differences car to car .

One more example from my cousin's husband, he had Potenza S03 on his 330i , he drove it about 15-20k (canot remember exact km), but then he changed to Michelins PS. The reason of his change is the noise during cruising at high speed. He is now happy with PS

Targa Tim if you have chance to drive a same brand car with PS and RE , it will be the best way which tyre is suitable for you.

Btw please check this
    F430 Test on Top Gear. They comment about tyre at the last part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDLxxa0rxY

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764234 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436440 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261012 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257937 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82626 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876811 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808842 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM