Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: How about these....

jamesaug,

I entirely appreciate the sentiments behind your post but I wasn't actually trying to 'prove' anything nor was I actually replying to JimFlat6 or nberry. I have said before to each of them that I have ceased discussing legal issues with them so I certainly am not bickering. Turbo Al gave the names of a few famous/infamous alumni. I just expanded upon that factual list. No ulterior motive at work behind my actions.

Obviously you're right - discussing Oxbridge isn't relevant at all to the subject of Porsche930S's difficulties but digressions do happen on many threads and since you made some interesting comments, I'll reply to those points only.

IMO saying that having current/former members of a university who have achieved great things means nothing is simply misguided. Students benefit enormously from the academic tradition of excellence cultivated in a College/Faculty. To dismiss that as worthless is myopic in my view.

Equally it is absurd IMO to suggest that attending Oxbridge is a mere social rite of passage. That's a typical anti-elitist argument made by many an egalitarian. If that's your view, I respect that, but I respectfully disagree. Contrary to public perception, family wealth and social background only account for a very small part of getting into Oxbridge. (This is a much, much lesser factor than the media would have you believe). It usually takes ability backed up by years of unglamorous hard work. At Cambridge, over 55% of students come from comprehensive schools. I am glad to see this trend rising each decade. So many Cambridge students are the first students from their school to be successful at getting into Oxbridge and sometimes they are the first people in their family to go to university. Cambridge has a very active Open Access policy. They are actively trying to get the brightest students to attend no matter what their family wealth or social background. I am most definitely not a 'social elitist' but I am unashamedly a believer in academic excellence. You can call it 'academic elitism' if you wish.

You talk of family wealth as if a person gets into Oxbridge by magic. I went to a boys' public school where nearly a quarter of the spoilt, rich kids couldn't even get into university. Having parents who can afford private schooling achieves absolutely nothing unless the student himself/herself studies extremely hard. Good teaching can certainly help but individual hard graft is the single most essential ingredient.

You refer to my ego as if it were a sin to be pleased with one's own academic/professional success. It's a prime example of the 'British disease'. We (collectively) aren't hungry to succeed in the UK anymore and we (collectively) can't bear to see others becoming rich and/or successful. We even say IMO defeatist things like "It's not the winning that counts. It's the taking part". It's drummed into people in the UK from childhood. IMO it's utter nonsense. Trying to win brings out the best performance in us. As a sporting nation, we make up the numbers in most sports but, even if we can scale the heights of glory on occasion, we don't stay there for long. It goes to our heads and our well fed/paid players get too cushy (e.g. the Rugby World Champions have lost most of their matches in the past 18 months, the Cricket Ashes win in 2005 followed by the recent humiliating reversal by the Aussies 5-0 etc). It takes ruthlessness which we (collectively) lack. But striving to be the best is dismissed in this country as vanity when the rest of the world is pushing itself to excel. Striving to be on an elite level of success is now a dirty word in the UK. I find this saddening.

Saying that undergraduates are a mere 'blip' on an academic's radar is very far from the reality. For instance in law, at other universities, the main form of tuition are faculty lectures where the whole year group attends (say 100 people) with a tutorial in each subject each fortnight with a faculty member where the tutor might spend an hour with a group of around 12-15 people. It's easier to get away with doing less work in such a set up. At Oxbridge, the whole year group (over 250 people) attends lectures in the law faculty but the main form of learning are actually tutorials which often last more than an hour within the student's own college in groups of 2-4 people. There is nowhere to hide when you are being grilled by a college fellow for 60-90 minutes in a group with 2 or at most 3 other people. So my point is that, as an Oxbridge student, one gets far more attention from the academic staff. Perhaps you weren't aware of that. Academics do a great deal of their research during end of term holidays (particularly the long Summer vacation) or if they go on sabbatical.

Actually, the majority of university funding does not come from research. I'm not sure what gave you that idea. The majority of university and faculty funding comes, in the case of 'home' students, from funding from central government and top-up tuition fees paid by the students themselves whereas, in the case of 'overseas' students, they pay their own fees so these go directly to the university and faculty. Research income/grants go to the university and to the faculties not to the semi-autonomous Colleges that make up Oxbridge. Research income is seen as a way to supplement the shortfall in income. It is not the mainstay. The Colleges themselves charge their own fees (which other universities don't charge) which pays for college tuition. (How else could those intensive tutorials be paid for?). Note that only about half of academic staff hold both university and college teaching posts. Some give tutorials in College only while others are Fellows of Colleges and also hold University Lectureships. The Colleges pay their way by collecting college fees, rent from students staying in college accommodation, receiving endowment income, hosting conferences on the side when student rooms are empty during the holidays and alumni donations.

Yikes, you guys are getting in thick...

I'll tell ya'll one thing though, the posts expressing such shock and revulsion regarding quality control may be a bit over the top...

I'm not playing apologist for Porsche at all.... What I'm saying is that modern cars are extremely complex animals. I am constantly AMAZED by the levels of high-tolerance and quality that is achieved in today's mass-produced vehicles overall. Having been playing with vehicles my entire life, and having seen what "quality control" was decades backward, it's absolutely stunning how engineering and execution has advanced, especially in the last 10 years..

For a single vehicle to have a factory-borne leak, and everybody leap to their feet AGHAST, "how could this happen?", I find comical. Trust me, it's happening around the globe, with every manufacturer, to some extent.

I don't understand how they do it as well as they do, it fascinates me. Especially the Japanese. Simply miraculous how fine a machine is manufactured these days.

For all those who are apalled, aghast and horror-struck that a single car would roll off the truck dripping oil... Yes, somebody BLEW IT along the process, and then somebody else didn't catch it. Human error.

But if you've ever turned a wrench, assembled an engine, overseen and participated in a restoration, you've gotta be amazed at how they put these cars together with such consistency...

That being said, Porsche has to compete in the market, and if alot of problems like this were slipping through, it would hurt them...

But it's silly not to be able to comprehend how this could happen. It's a complex, high-tolerance machine. Just the slightest manufacturing abnormalty could cause a problem like this, and it may not have leaked a drop until after it had left the factory, as many things of this nature might take 5 minutes or 60 minutes of running for the problem to domino-effect into a symptom.

However Porsche handles it now, I just hope Porsche930S's pops winds up satisfied and smiling when it's over.

Yes the dealer said this leak originated from factory but did take a while to create with heating and cooling, so you are exactly correct.

This OT talk has gotten a bit heavy. I agree. I think everyone who is bickering about this and that needs to calm down. We're all friends here so let's just take it easy and talk about cars, not about who can argue the best.

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    Yes the dealer said this leak originated from factory but did take a while to create with heating and cooling, so you are exactly correct.

This OT talk has gotten a bit heavy. I agree. I think everyone who is bickering about this and that needs to calm down. We're all friends here so let's just take it easy and talk about cars, not about who can argue the best.

Exactly, especially when it's common knowledge that I'm the King Kong Bundy of arguing around here. You don't want to disturb this slumbering dog, do you??

A friend of mine bought a black Ford Explorer some time ago. Something weird happened when he waxed the car for the first time. It came out DULLER after the wash and wax.

Long story short: Turns out Ford "forgot" to put a clear coat on the paint!!!

Think of the number of aholes who noticed something was wrong with the paint (it scratched verrry easily) but did nothing; all the way up to the car salesman and service people at the dealership.

THAT kind of stuff makes me soooooo f'ing mad that it's good RPGs aren't available to civilians.

So you'd expect and accept Ford screwing up and producing a car with a leaky engine, BUT a car with no clearcoat!?

At what point do you go ballistic with Porsche? I think a leaky engine defines the threshold.

On a different note bossnine... Whats up with them Gators

More precisely, what's NOT up with them Gators??? The only thing more impressive than the back-to-back basketball & football championships, is the fact that both clubs have the juice to repeat!!!

It's a good time to be a Gator, and this time everybody doesn't hate our coaches!! LOL!!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    ... it's common knowledge that I'm the King Kong Bundy of arguing around here. You don't want to disturb this slumbering dog, do you??

No way would we want that to happen, Bossman We simply can't match your style. I prostrate myself before you...

Easy.. don't get me wrong; i know what hard work is and I 100% am proud of each and every individual who gives their best over a sustained period in order to succeed, irrespective of income or background..(so that includes you!) I just don't think that the ability of your alumni reflect on your skills as a lawyer...but hey..even if I'm right and your "carrera s" is actually a body-kit MR2 we're all here cos we love the same things...arguing over colour choices (hmm bile-green or turd-brown?) and pointless options: rear windscreen wiper or not etc etc..and thats far more fun than this socio-economic debate that belongs on "www.discussworldissues.com" ...heres to cars!

The most notorious, infamous traitors of the 20th century were all from Cambridge - Philby, Blunt, MacLean and Burgess.

They did greater strategic damage to Britain's interests than any modern terrorist. They lead the list of noted alumni.

If Cambridge's academic process, "excellence" and culture is any indicator, no wonder there is a "British Disease." A fish rots from the head down.

Quote:
    jamesaug said:
    ... we're all here cos we love the same things...arguing over colour choices (hmm bile-green or turd-brown?) and pointless options: rear windscreen wiper or not etc etc.. ...heres to cars!

Exactly

As I said before though, I was just expanding on a factual list started by Turbo Al. Obviously, my capabilities (such as they may be) are totally distinct from those of other people.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    More precisely, what's NOT up with them Gators??? The only thing more impressive than the back-to-back basketball & football championships, is the fact that both clubs have the juice to repeat!!!

It's a good time to be a Gator, and this time everybody doesn't hate our coaches!! LOL!!!

My family bleeds blue (UK Blue that is) so watch what you say! I am not a fan of the Gators! But I do have to give you that what they are doing is amazing. I would love to have Billy instead of Tubby! I hate Tubby, so am a full Xavier Musketeer (current school) now!

Anyways, I am glad to see things are getting more friendly on this thread.

Nothing to update as of yet...still waiting. It's going to be a while.

FWIW, a couple I met during the last Fall Grand Tour ( September) had their car replaced by Porsche due to a faulty stereo/ electronics glitch which after numerous attempts couldn't be fixed ( numerous/many attempts being the key element, I'm sure).It sounded like a lengthy process, and the husband is an attorney.

I'm not sure if they can discuss how they came to this resolution, but I can ask them if you would like. Hit me with a PM Porsche930S, if you would like for me to try and find out more info.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    FWIW, a couple I met during the last Fall Grand Tour ( September) had their car replaced by Porsche due to a faulty stereo/ electronics glitch which after numerous attempts couldn't be fixed ( numerous/many attempts being the key element, I'm sure).It sounded like a lengthy process, and the husband is an attorney.

It is key (visits) , one of my family members got a full replacement fron Seat , it was the Leon model..It was deemed a lemon after , I think , the seventh visit . On that visit after they finished some work the mechanic parked the nose up against a wall , scraping the paintwork..The replacement was the later model so he got a good result , and a nicer colour as it goes ..

But ,, the lemon ended up on the front of their forecourt for sale . They sold it on within 1 week ...Nice bunch..

Lemon Laws typically stipulate numerous occurrences/attempts to fix a problem or series of problems. It's good that they exist, obviously. But even when you win, you've lost in the amount of stress and inconvenience you suffer throughout the relationship of the lemon-in-question.

Each time I buy a new car, and she turns out to be a peach, I thank my lucky stars... It's not so much low expectations, it's high appreciation for not having crappy luck...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:For a single vehicle to have a factory-borne leak, and everybody leap to their feet AGHAST, "how could this happen?", I find comical. Trust me, it's happening around the globe, with every manufacturer, to some extent.

For all those who are apalled, aghast and horror-struck that a single car would roll off the truck dripping oil... Yes, somebody BLEW IT along the process, and then somebody else didn't catch it. Human error.

But if you've ever turned a wrench, assembled an engine, overseen and participated in a restoration, you've gotta be amazed at how they put these cars together with such consistency...

That being said, Porsche has to compete in the market, and if alot of problems like this were slipping through, it would hurt them...

But it's silly not to be able to comprehend how this could happen. It's a complex, high-tolerance machine. Just the slightest manufacturing abnormalty could cause a problem like this, and it may not have leaked a drop until after it had left the factory, as many things of this nature might take 5 minutes or 60 minutes of running for the problem to domino-effect into a symptom.

However Porsche handles it now, I just hope Porsche930S's pops winds up satisfied and smiling when it's over.

Truer words have not been written.

Anyway, I see nobody took my recommendation on wine, osso buco, some good lovin' and hard driving.

The hell with ya. More wine for me.

<<Deleted as post now out of date. Apologies>>

Still paying money for the thing to leak...

Recieved the leasing bill today.

Ridiculous!

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:

Mofos.

I still think you should return it to the dealer even it s a 1-2K loss and get another one. There are targas available here in NC.

I am curious have discussed trading it in, if swapping the engine is no big deal to Porsche then it should not take a big hit on a trade in.
    There is no substitute for peace of mind.

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:

That is unbelievable; the same company that doesn't want to give you a new car for something that can be repaired under warranty now doesn't want to make your lease payments. In the words of Jackie Chiles "I am outraged. That's horrendous, outrageous and egregious!"

At this point I don't think Porsche could do anything to fully satisfy you.

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    Quote:
    Porsche930S said:

That is unbelievable; the same company that doesn't want to give you a new car for something that can be repaired under warranty now doesn't want to make your lease payments. In the words of Jackie Chiles "I am outraged. That's horrendous, outrageous and egregious!"

At this point I don't think Porsche could do anything to fully satisfy you.

It takes a day to repair the car, why does Porsche need to make the lease payment?

You honestly expect Porsche to toll the lease payments while your car is in the shop?

Unfortunately, you will not get a brand new engine from Porsche AG. You will get a remanufactured one. It will go on your car's history / record and I don't know how things work in USA, but here, I had to send my V5 (vehicle license form) in with the 'new' engine's details, so it's not something you can hide from, when you come to resell. You will have the inconvenience of having to run the 'new' engine in again, although I notice from your post... 200 miles, it's not something you have to do all over.

As for Porsche quality control... from my experience, it's something that doesn't exist. 997C2S, great car when working, but until there is a dramatic improvement from customer services, this will be my last P-Car.

Here's a summary of my Porsche nightmare:

10 February 2005 Car in for rattles to be fixed
    04 May 2005 Car in for more rattles to be fixed
    04 May 2005 Sunroof creaking issues
    26 September 2005 Full engine oil change
    05 October 2005 Hand Brake mechanism issues & clutch squeaking
    05 October 2005 Sunroof creaking issues again
    05 October 2005 Recall - Front boot lid
    27 October 2005 Hand Brake replaced
    10 January 2006 Clutch cable replaced
    10 January 2006 Workshop Campaign - gearbox mechanism. On board clock issues.
    08 April 2006 Driver side door seal replaced
    08 April 2006 Recall - Tailpipes replaced
    08 April 2006 Engine Rear Main Seal (RMS) problem
    08 April 2006 PCM replaced - CD drive jam
    17 May 2006 Exhaust pipe bracket crack replaced
    17 May 2006 Clutch bearings replaced
    15 August 2006 Software upgrade for slow clock problem
    02 October 2006 Car in for respray after being scratched whilst with OPC on previous visit
    25 November 2006 Engine replacement required (12,049 miles)
    25 November 2006 Rusting wheel nuts
    25 November 2006 Front boot lid catch faulty
    25 November 2006 Clutch squeaking again
    25 November 2006 Replacement clutch at my expense (Pounds531.59)
    18 December 2006 Car back in for dent fix. My car got dented whilst with my OPC for previous work.
    18 December 2006 Clutch still graunching despite replacement clutch which I was told would fix the problem
    18 December 2006 New Radio Amplifier
    18 December 2006 Replacement Clutch Slave Cylinder
    18 December 2006 Replacement front light switch
    11 January 2007 Clutch still making graunching noise
    11 January 2007 Horn is faulty
    11 January 2007 Rear exhaust pipe is rattling
    11 January 2007 Right hand side rear exhaust pipe is misaligned

I sincerely wish you and your father the best of luck dealing with your Porsche problems.

Quote:
    Ronnie said:...

Here's a summary of my Porsche nightmare:...

Are you saying you had your engine replaced twice? (RMS and blown engine)

Quote:
    frayed said:
    You honestly expect Porsche to toll the lease payments while your car is in the shop?

I see your point. Getting this in the mail is just adding more insult to injury. Also, Porsche is giving us the complete run around.

What's the current status?

Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    Unfortunately, you will not get a brand new engine from Porsche AG. You will get a remanufactured one. It will go on your car's history / record and I don't know how things work in USA, but here, I had to send my V5 (vehicle license form) in with the 'new' engine's details, so it's not something you can hide from, when you come to resell. You will have the inconvenience of having to run the 'new' engine in again, although I notice from your post... 200 miles, it's not something you have to do all over.

As for Porsche quality control... from my experience, it's something that doesn't exist. 997C2S, great car when working, but until there is a dramatic improvement from customer services, this will be my last P-Car.

Here's a summary of my Porsche nightmare:

10 February 2005 Car in for rattles to be fixed
    04 May 2005 Car in for more rattles to be fixed
    04 May 2005 Sunroof creaking issues
    26 September 2005 Full engine oil change
    05 October 2005 Hand Brake mechanism issues & clutch squeaking
    05 October 2005 Sunroof creaking issues again
    05 October 2005 Recall - Front boot lid
    27 October 2005 Hand Brake replaced
    10 January 2006 Clutch cable replaced
    10 January 2006 Workshop Campaign - gearbox mechanism. On board clock issues.
    08 April 2006 Driver side door seal replaced
    08 April 2006 Recall - Tailpipes replaced
    08 April 2006 Engine Rear Main Seal (RMS) problem
    08 April 2006 PCM replaced - CD drive jam
    17 May 2006 Exhaust pipe bracket crack replaced
    17 May 2006 Clutch bearings replaced
    15 August 2006 Software upgrade for slow clock problem
    02 October 2006 Car in for respray after being scratched whilst with OPC on previous visit
    25 November 2006 Engine replacement required (12,049 miles)
    25 November 2006 Rusting wheel nuts
    25 November 2006 Front boot lid catch faulty
    25 November 2006 Clutch squeaking again
    25 November 2006 Replacement clutch at my expense (Pounds531.59)
    18 December 2006 Car back in for dent fix. My car got dented whilst with my OPC for previous work.
    18 December 2006 Clutch still graunching despite replacement clutch which I was told would fix the problem
    18 December 2006 New Radio Amplifier
    18 December 2006 Replacement Clutch Slave Cylinder
    18 December 2006 Replacement front light switch
    11 January 2007 Clutch still making graunching noise
    11 January 2007 Horn is faulty
    11 January 2007 Rear exhaust pipe is rattling
    11 January 2007 Right hand side rear exhaust pipe is misaligned

I sincerely wish you and your father the best of luck dealing with your Porsche problems.

Nearly 2 yr's of grief ,, where's the quality ?....

Edit::Cripe's ,, thats a flaming Lemon for sure....

Quote:
    frayed said:

I would for sure . Its due to them its a pig , whichever way you look at it.It should be the just and decent thing to do . Come on Porsche , stop being so bloody tight - ""we are all watching""....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777072 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441652 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260919 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85179 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5554 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880624 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815850 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM