Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Not that big a deal

Personally, I would try hard to get a completely new car. Starting the relationship with a replaced engine seems odd to me... just a feeling. I had a similar problem with my Ducati, when the mechanic heard a strange noise from the engine within the first week of ownership. He suggested to take a closer look on the potential problem and offered me a brand-new Ducati. The engine actually had a real problem, I got a bike to ride while waiting for my new Ducati to arrive. That was great service and I am really loyal to that dealer. Now, I don't know how it works in the US, but if I would have the same problem with your Dad's Porsche, and the dealer tries to be funny, I would go to a lawyer/attorney.

Good luck!

It's also like the marine retail business. Porsches and pleasure boats are expensive. When you go to West Marine everything is rather pricey. Good quality stuff but no bargains. If there's a problem WM will bend over backwards to make it right. So you're "overpaying" at WM to get good customer service when there's a problem. This is what I would expect from dealings with Porsche.

Nice to see the majority think a full replacement is required..

Even when one love's a brand , that one should not be blinkered ..

Re: Wrong approach Nick

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Sorry I failed to mention that when I am asked what type of lawyer I am my response is always "a lousy one". I just try to make a modest living hoping a silk stocking law firm (which employs you) does not beat me up too much.

Also, am afraid to go into a coutroom because when I do I always lose. My case is a sad one so take pity on me.

Maybe in my next life I can be like you.

A classic bullsh*tter's response. Surely you can do better than that! Despite using a magnifying glass, I still can't detect any content here.

Nick fleecing clients? I didn't actually say nor did I imply that. You chose to infer that. My comment was deliberately generic. The only actual reference I made to Nick was that I am different to him.

In any event, it's disappointing to see that you're defending someone who freely admits he is prepared to encourage his clients to believe they have a case worth fighting even though the expected outcome is that they will lose. In my book, that's opportunistic and self-serving when a lawyer should always act in his client's best interests. Still, there's no persuading you on this issue so no point continuing.

What you interpreted as arrogance and speciousness is just me taking exception to inappropriate and belittling remarks made by someone ill-placed to do so and whose professional approach I would shun.

I have nothing personal against you so little point prolonging this little spat. Enjoy your weekend.

Quote:
    nberry said:

... bend over and grab your ankles ...

Hey Nick, keep your s*xual fantasies to yourself!

Quote:
    nberry said:

... I do enjoy your posts and do not want to alienate you.

Don't worry about it. It's all a little harmless verbal jousting. The only guy I feel sorry for is Porsche930S.

At least Leawood911 got to egg you on while enjoying his popcorn

One piece of friendly advice, whatever you do, no matter how much you're tempted, don't post photos of yourself outside Starbucks. It's just hilarious!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    [...] One piece of friendly advice, whatever you do, no matter how much you're tempted, don't post photos of yourself outside Starbucks.

Couldn't resist posting this one more time...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    frayed said:
    ... Leave the arrogant extortionist-based practice to those with the disposition ...

frayed, I made this decision many years ago. It just isn't in my nature to put myself before my client's interests (by exaggerating his chances to secure his retainer). Fleecing clients in this fashion is the modus operandi of cowboys and charlatans. I'm relieved to say that I'm not cut from the same cloth as Nick.

You did state that, not I. Your attempt to attribute it to me is worthless and speaks volumes.

I am so sorry your Lordship, but does that petard feel good as hoisted here? That was your statement, your inference, your indirect slur. Maybe National Health can provide you with some wings or some fashionable eyeware? A dose of humility perhaps?

As for your tome to Cambridge, you omitted its reputation for graduates who went on to become Traitors and its healthy number of graduates who became scandal ridden politicians and noted charlatans in the City. So I guess its all in how you measure prestige.

I see no spat or quarrel. I did see a very foul attack on Nick's professional ethics and then your attempt to attribute that attack to me. I suggest that you not compound errors.

As for photographs, please publish one of yours. I'm sure that it would be most interesting to us all. Derision is
    quite inexpensive these days.

I love that picture

This thread has gotten heated between some few members.

No news as of yet. It's just a waiting game right now. Thank you for all you encouragement so far guys.

Today I saw a 997 driving by and it hurt. Seeing another owner enjoy his car while ours is sitting in the garage with a heart problem, made me very jealous! I just hope Porsche is as upset over this as we are.

blah blah blah.

y'all need to have a drink and be thankful for our good fortunes to be able to drive such cars and have the luxury to debate senseless stuff on the web.

uncork your favorite red, spend an afternoon preparing some osso bucco, eat, drink, get some loving, wake up and drive.

Quote:
    Porsche930S said:
    This thread has gotten heated between some few members. No news as of yet. It's just a waiting game right now. Thank you for all you encouragement so far guys.

Can you hold on to the news for a few days? This thread is so entertaining.

easy (aka .22 short),
    you said ...
    "At least Leawood911 got to egg you on while enjoying his popcorn"

Wrong, I was trying to egg you on. I thought that was clear.
    By the way, I still maintain your central point - that case law did not support Nick - is unproven and incorrect (which means that Nick is not using any tricky angles to make his case )

Some may complain that we have too many lawyers and laws which allow law suits at the drop of a hat. To the contrary, I think this is a great thing. It keeps everyone on their toes and it protects the consumer. (Reports of excessive litigation are blown out of proportion by those whose purpose it serves.)

Certainly it can get out of hand but having access to lawyers and the law is a little like the right to own a gun. You don't have to own one to appreciate the fact that criminals need to worry about gun owners shooting them. Similary I would hate to not be allowed to arm myself with the best legal council. In the end 90% of all cases end up being settled anyway - just ask Frayed (peace,... as you said we need to be thankful!)

Anyway -easy, my dad is celebrating his 75th in London next Friday. I am thinking about flying in. We should have a beer or a coffee

Now I'm going to go out in my 997S and play midnight ice racer. I'll post any newpaper clippings I generate.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    As for your tome to Cambridge, you omitted its reputation for graduates who went on to become Traitors and its healthy number of graduates who became scandal ridden politicians and noted charlatans in the City. So I guess its all in how you measure prestige.

Jim,

Perchance you refer to such individuals as Oliver Cromwell, John Maynard Keynes and Prince Charles?

Quote:
    frayed said:
    blah blah blah.

y'all need to have a drink and be thankful for our good fortunes to be able to drive such cars and have the luxury to debate senseless stuff on the web.

uncork your favorite red, spend an afternoon preparing some osso bucco, eat, drink, get some loving, wake up and drive.

Nicely put.

Nothing on this board is worth getting negatively excited about for more than ten seconds.

Ahhhh..., wow..., there goes another babe..., gotta go... .

I don't want to get into the fray but speaking from 30 years experience as an owner/operator of a large BMW franchise I think Porsche930S would have better luck getting his car replaced if he involved the selling dealer. Unlike buying a sweater at Nordstrom's, automobile dealerships are independently owned and operated (even dealerships owned by publicly traded corporations that own multiple stores will compete against each other) and the servicing dealer has no vested interest in the sale of a car sold at another dealer.

If I were presented with a similar situation (and I was on a number of occasions) where a car that I sold had a problem such as his, to keep the customer happy I would buy the car back by refunding all monies (all I would be out would be license fees and salesman commission, I could recoup the state sales tax). Being the car has very low miles, is a current model year and a new model to boot I would not have a problem fixing the car and then reselling it and sell Porsche930S another new car. I would try to get the replacement car from the factory outside my normal allocation (using customer good will as reason for deserving an "extra" car) but if that failed I would sell one out of my normal allocation. I took care of customers that bought their cars from me.

However, if he were in my shop with a car from another dealer I would only do what BMW was willing to do and nothing more. I don't know what the circumstances are to why he didn't purchase for the servicing dealer but dealers take it personally when people don't buy cars from them but then can find them for warranty work, especially when the ink isn't even dry on the original sales contract at a competing dealer. In other words I would not be willing to go to bat for him.

Just my two cents.

Sad comment on the legal "profession"

If this is an insight into how you guys operate no wonder the legal profession has such a bad name. And as to offering a fellow Rennteamer help and advice, God help us - you seem more intent on scoring cheap shots off each other than helping. Equally this no place for some of the simplistic xenophobic sniping either - that belongs in the OT forum at best.

Can we move on?

Nick's f***ing funny but I'm not sure he's a lawyer... his english is sh*t.

Anyways, how much would this cheesedick thread cost if we were actually paying for it? No offence to you legal eagles out there, but I humbly suggest there may be a lesson for us all in the answer to that question...

Good luck guys (with the car, not the legal bollocks). You should also know that the 997S is a real beast - never had anything like it before. So, trust me - it will be worth the wait when it's finally sorted!

SoS.

Re: Very Bad News

Porsche sells way too many cars. An 07 targa 4S will never be collectible. The dealer and Porsche are being perfectly reasonable. I don't think they even put serial numbers on engines any more do they (that match the cars VIN)?

Take the new engine and be happy.

Quote:
    adrift said:
    I don't think they even put serial numbers on engines any more do they (that match the cars VIN)?

If an engine is replaced it will be part of the car's permanent service record.

I seem to remember, from what people on the boards have said, that Porsche does some "record management" of it's own when they replace an engine under warrenty.

They basically "decree" the new engine now "officially" belongs to that car and so all future numbers matching validations will be proper and correct.

If a new engine replacement is a problem, push the dealer to repair the leak. On these modern Porsche engines silicone based sealants, instead of old time gaskets, are commonly used. It would be a shame to replace a whole engine when all that's needed is a bead of silicone. If the local dealer can't handle the job push them to return it to Germany for repair. Might be worth the wait if keeping the original motor is that important.
    If it was me I would just let them replace the engine and be done with it.

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    I don't want to get into the fray but speaking from 30 years experience as an owner/operator of a large BMW franchise I think Porsche930S would have better luck getting his car replaced if he involved the selling dealer. Unlike buying a sweater at Nordstrom's, automobile dealerships are independently owned and operated (even dealerships owned by publicly traded corporations that own multiple stores will compete against each other) and the servicing dealer has no vested interest in the sale of a car sold at another dealer.

If I were presented with a similar situation (and I was on a number of occasions) where a car that I sold had a problem such as his, to keep the customer happy I would buy the car back by refunding all monies (all I would be out would be license fees and salesman commission, I could recoup the state sales tax). Being the car has very low miles, is a current model year and a new model to boot I would not have a problem fixing the car and then reselling it and sell Porsche930S another new car. I would try to get the replacement car from the factory outside my normal allocation (using customer good will as reason for deserving an "extra" car) but if that failed I would sell one out of my normal allocation. I took care of customers that bought their cars from me.

However, if he were in my shop with a car from another dealer I would only do what BMW was willing to do and nothing more. I don't know what the circumstances are to why he didn't purchase for the servicing dealer but dealers take it personally when people don't buy cars from them but then can find them for warranty work, especially when the ink isn't even dry on the original sales contract at a competing dealer. In other words I would not be willing to go to bat for him.

Just my two cents.

Now THAT makes a lot of sense. Why isn't 930S going back to the selling dealer if a nw car is what he's after? Why was the T4S supposed to be an investment and then that statement retracted? (because an "investment" makes an engine replacement problematic?) This is just weird, and I'm not sure I'm much interested anymore . . . I feel like my chain is being pulled (by more than just Nick!)

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Quote:
    jerrygee said:

Just my two cents.

Now THAT makes a lot of sense. Why isn't 930S going back to the selling dealer if a nw car is what he's after? Why was the T4S supposed to be an investment and then that statement retracted? (because an "investment" makes an engine replacement problematic?) This is just weird, and I'm not sure I'm much interested anymore . . . I feel like my chain is being pulled (by more than just Nick!)

Original dealer has been contacted. Do you think I am trying to pull your chain here?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    frayed said:
    ... Leave the arrogant extortionist-based practice to those with the disposition ...

frayed, I made this decision many years ago. It just isn't in my nature to put myself before my client's interests (by exaggerating his chances to secure his retainer). Fleecing clients in this fashion is the modus operandi of cowboys and charlatans. I'm relieved to say that I'm not cut from the same cloth as Nick.

You did state that, not I. Your attempt to attribute it to me is worthless and speaks volumes.

... does that petard feel good as hoisted here? That was your statement, your inference, your indirect slur. ...

... I did see a very foul attack on Nick's professional ethics and then your attempt to attribute that attack to me. I suggest that you not compound errors.

You're sounding like Nick's grandmother defending him like this

But what are you celebrating? You've misunderstood my post.

I previously wrote (and have never denied writing it):

1) "It just isn't in my nature to put myself before my client's interests (by exaggerating his chances to secure his retainer)." [This refers to me and to some hypothetical client]

2) "Fleecing clients in this fashion is the modus operandi of cowboys and charlatans." [This is a generic statement]

3) "I'm relieved to say that I'm not cut from the same cloth as Nick." [This is the only actual reference I made to Nick which I explained before when I said I am different from him].

I previously explained that whole post as follows:

"Nick fleecing clients? I didn't actually say nor did I IMPLY that. You chose to INFER that. My comment was deliberately generic. The only actual reference I made to Nick was that I am different to him."

I can't explain my posts to you any more simply than this. It's a pity I have had to explain them to you at all.

I think you should look up the meanings of the words 'infer' and 'imply' in the dictionary. You've confused them IMO. 'Imply' is what a person making a statement indirectly intends another reading it to understand. 'Infer' is the meaning understood or the conclusion drawn by the person reading it. So if I state that you inferred something, that's what I believe you understood from my post irrespective of what I may have meant to imply by it. I have never stated that you made an adverse statement about Nick nor have I tried to attribute my own statement to you.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

This is laughable. I can't take it seriously I'm afraid. In any event, I don't need to defend my alma mater.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Maybe National Health can provide you with some wings or some fashionable eyeware?

Do you have something against state healthcare paid for by the taxpayer for those who can and for those who cannot afford it? It's just a different philosophy on healthcare provision.

This conversation has long since become completely pointless but you're a persistent fellow so, by all means, keep posting. No doubt you'll reply with some other wayward comments. I'll leave you to carry on this trivial conversation by yourself. This really is all I have to say to you on this matter.

Sorry to hearing than, did you complain to German, I found than is the most efficient way to get response from Porsche.
    Although is not likly but you can try to used the reason than you and lost comfident on than car and since its so new than only thing you can accept is a brand new one.

How about these....

Here's a very small selection of notable Cambridge alumni since its foundation in 1209:

Charles Darwin (creator of the theory of evolution)
    Sir Isaac Newton (physicist)
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (philosopher)
    Lord Rutherford (physicist who split the atom)
    Charles Babbage (inventor of the forerunner to the computer)
    Sir Frank Whittle (inventor of the jet engine)
    John Maynard Keynes (economist)
    John Harvard (founder of Harvard College)
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge (poet)
    Professor Stephen Hawking (physicist)
    Christopher Marlowe (playwright)
    Francis Crick & James Watson (co-discoverers of DNA)
    Christopher Cockerell (inventor of the hovercraft)
    John Milton (poet)
    Paul Dirac (physicist)
    James Chadwick (discovered the neutron)
    Jawaharlal Nehru (first Prime Minister of India)
    Lord Byron (poet)
    Bertrand Russell (philosopher)
    Percy Bysshe Shelley (poet)
    John Dryden (poet)
    Lord Kelvin (physicist)
    Lord Alfred Tennyson (poet)
    Vladimir Nabokov (writer)
    William Makepeace Thackeray (novelist)
    Thomas Malthus (economist)
    Samuel Pepys (diarist)
    A E Housman (poet)
    Francis Bacon (scientist)
    James Clerk Maxwell (physicist who discovered electromagnetism)
    A A Milne (writer, created Winnie the Pooh)
    A N Whitehead (philosopher)
    Thomas Gray (poet)
    William Henry Fox Talbot (invented photography)
    Rupert Brooke (poet)
    EM Forster (novelist)
    G E Moore (philosopher)
    Sir Ian McKellen (actor, played Gandalf)
    William Wordsworth (poet)
    CS Lewis (novelist)
    Sir William Wilberforce (led the campaign to abolish slavery in the UK)
    Salman Rushdie (novelist)
    FR Leavis (literary critic)
    Emma Thompson (actress)
    Hans Blix (U.N. weapons inspector)
    Rachel Weisz (actress)
    John Venn (mathematician, devised Venn diagrams)
    Germaine Greer (feminist writer)

Link:

http://www.blanchflower.org/alumni/camalumn.html

Here's the link for Trinity College, Cambridge alone:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=23

Here's a link to the list of 80 Nobel prize winners who either studied at or taught/researched at Cambridge University. (It's the highest figure for any university in the world).

http://www.blanchflower.org/alumni/camnobel.html

Here's a link showing where Britain's Prime Ministers were educated:

http://www.blanchflower.org/alumni/pm.html

Re: How about these....

To 930s: My reading of the situation:

* New car, engine broken. Owner really cheesed off. Not sure he wants car now (understandable, I must say). Now doubts overall quality of car (emotionally understandable, but rationally perhaps less so due to bolt-in nature of said part).

* Porsche unlikely to replace car. Also understandable - as only engine appears broken.

* Current likely outcome: stalemate or legals, neither of which likely to help and actually likely to kill any enthusiasm for car / relationship with dealer and/or our friends in ZH/Stuttgart.

* Required outcome: everyone happy, customer newly enthusiastic about car and the boys/girls in Stuttgart, dealer still on speaking terms etc.

* Suggestion: make it very clear (you can be direct) how you now feel about the car and Porsche (but be honest that it's about how you feel rather than presenting this as fact) and say you need your confidence in the brand and the car to rebuilt. It's then up to you which direction I would push them (only you can know what will make you happier), but personally my ideal scenario would be to get the car shipped back to Germany, new engine installed there and you get a free Porsche factory pick up (or whatever it's called) and drive across Europe to the shippers (or wherever customers in the US normally go to when they do a factory pick up). Outcome then might be that you get a nice driving holiday in Europe, can test the car thoroughly before it leaves the vicinity - so can return if something else breaks, and by putting it through its paces on the Autobahns etc, can (hopefully!) build renewed enthusiasm for Porsche and your car.

Now Porsche may not want to do this (I guess shipping costs might be an issue) nor might you (bit of a wait to do this and you may no want to go to Germany), but I would suggest that creative solutions where Porsche don't have to build you a whole car but can do things for you that make you feel good about the car - and the company - would be the way to go.

Good luck with this and hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. I really love my car and I hope you have the opportunity to feel the same way about yours.

Best,

SoS.

Easy...what are you trying to prove? Giving examples of alumni means nothing!

For many of them, going to Oxbridge would have been a right of passage for anyone of their social status.
    Its not like they could of gone to Manchester or Bath etc in 1300!

Furthermore, I am sure that many of us are aware that parental-income is the highest predictor of academic success. There is no doubt of the influence and intellectual capacity of these individuals, but saying that because virtually all of our prime Ministers went to Oxbridge it must be peerless; is to deny the considerable social 'clout' (both in the past and today) that goes with having a degree from these two institutions; something a budding PM would find invaluable, especially considering the number of MP's/Nobles that went there.
    Which takes me back to my original point on social-status.

I think that Cambridge is a fine institution in terms of prestige and research but in reality when undergraduates are nothing more than an 8 week per term blip on any academics radar how can they be anything more than an aside from the main issue of research (which brings in the money)?

Moreover, rather than trying to assert your capability as a lawyer over Nick by reminding us of your schooling (and ego) you should both perhaps give us all a break because I am sure that there are many people here who didn't have the chance to go to Oxbridge or become lawyers who perhaps have some words of advice/encouragement for Porsche930s rather than this OT bickering that should be closed by a moderator!

Quote:
    jamesaug said:
    ... this OT bickering that should be closed by a moderator!

+1.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777072 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441652 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260919 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85179 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5554 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880624 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815850 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM