Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Very disappointed with 997 TT

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Usually if I am not happy with any of my car, I dump it as fast as I can. It will be gone before I even know it myself. I don't go on line and complain about the quality of it and hold on to the car, but everyone is different, I guess.

Isn't that what we did?

After selling my car, I would stop checking 997TT forum and If I had just gotten a brand new BMW 335 becasue I couldn't afford the 997TT and I was way over my head in debt, I would start attending the 335forum and start all over again

What a pretentious, bitter, person you must be. I won't even banter with over you ridiculous, insensitive statements.

Beisdes, what is wrong with the BMW 335. Especially as a daily driver? Does your turbo make you a MAN? How's that go; the more expensive the car the more he's compensating? What are you compensating for? Silver rules, kind of like; "chicks rule", isn't it!

You should stop using your dads computer before he find out.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Usually if I am not happy with any of my car, I dump it as fast as I can. It will be gone before I even know it myself. I don't go on line and complain about the quality of it and hold on to the car, but everyone is different, I guess.

Isn't that what we did?

After selling my car, I would stop checking 997TT forum and If I had just gotten a brand new BMW 335 becasue I couldn't afford the 997TT and I was way over my head in debt, I would start attending the 335forum and start all over again

What a pretentious, bitter, person you must be. I won't even banter with over you ridiculous, insensitive statements.

Beisdes, what is wrong with the BMW 335. Especially as a daily driver? Does your turbo make you a MAN? How's that go; the more expensive the car the more he's compensating? What are you compensating for? Silver rules, kind of like; "chicks rule", isn't it!

Will the pretentious, bitter person and the guy using dad's computer please stop squabbling? Because if you don't, I will have to remind you that there's also the GT2 if you need to add extra inches .

Quote:
    VKSF said:I typically drive my '07 CL600 faster than I did my prior '07 SL65 (despite some 100 less hp/lb-ft) simply b/c 65's poor traction on uneven surfaces/wet roads saps confidence/driving pleasure.....

Will trade-in my 600 for the CL63 in Mar, w/some 150 less lb-ft, b/c IMO more important than raw power/0-xxx times are attributes like steering precision/brake pedal feel/exhaust note/susp tightness/paddleshifters/traction/damping and cross-wind stability, etc....

Doubt any aftermkt maker can develop a particularly balanced car, simply b/c of their lack of R&D scale....would argue 65 is a great example of a factory-spec imbalanced car...too much tq for chassis, leading to a lack of traction even in mundane driving for a daily commuter car....

Suspect 599 and S/CL63 will offer best balance of speed/driving feel&precision/comfort/practicality...

Quite agree with your comment regarding the lack of traction on the high-end AMG models.

My personal opinion is that for street driving in North America, to truly appreciate a car with 400+ horsepower, you need AWD and Porsche grade brakes.

I just had a blast in the rain passing a Gallardo which was following a slow moving Honda.

The rough road and wet surfaces made it rather difficult for the bumpy Gallardo to use the other narrower passing lane but me in my 997TT, not a problem.

Just downshifted with my thumb, stepped on the gas and did my little dance. This would not have been possible in my previous AMG, not enough traction to accelerate in the rain, not enough braking power to cut back in, slow down and make the turn safely.

I think this is more to do with driver confidence and ability than the small
    difference between Gallardo and 997tt, you make it sound like what you did would
    have been impossible in a Gallardo.

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    difference between Gallardo and 997tt, you make it sound like what you did would

Not impossible, just less confidence-inspiring.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    vinnie said:

Thank you, exactly my point. I really think the 997TT makes a worse driver out of me as it's too easy to drive. It's so forgiving it masks so many of my mistakes.

I love to take the car out in the wet/snow to get to understand the car's limit better. In the dry it's simply impossible on public roads.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:

Isn't that what we did?

Will the pretentious, bitter person and the guy using dad's computer please stop squabbling? Because if you don't, I will have to remind you that there's also the GT2 if you need to add extra inches .

Okay, but for the record the computer belongs to my Mom.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    vinnie said:

Good reply crash.

Quote:
    stork said:

One of the problems with people who buy very high end sports cars is that they always love the next great car and the one they just bought is just not what they thought it was going to be. .. The next best does not make be better. I make myself better...not some pile of metal. The 997 TT is a great car. The Ferrari 430 is a great car. None of them will make you better person.

I think I disagree. Nick's F430 makes him a better person than the rest of us. At least that what I take away from his dead-horse-beating-posts.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    I think I disagree. Nick's F430 makes him a better person than the rest of us. At least that what I take away from his dead-horse-beating-posts.

I haven't read that many negative posts from Nick recently, but just too many post picking on him.

So perhaps you'd better calm down a little bit.

enjoyable thread, build quality was pretty good when mine came off the line.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:
    stork said:

One of the problems with people who buy very high end sports cars is that they always love the next great car and the one they just bought is just not what they thought it was going to be. .. The next best does not make be better. I make myself better...not some pile of metal. The 997 TT is a great car. The Ferrari 430 is a great car. None of them will make you better person.

Yes you are correct. Nick is truly is better than any of us. I do not know why he even talks to us. I am not worthy.....

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Also, MKSGR tested TWO different M6s against his 996TT X50 and the stock M6 was slower than the Turbo above 240 km/h, while the tuned M6 kept up with him, but couldn't overtake him.

The first sentence is correct. It was my stock M6. The second sentence is wrong: the 996TT X50 was slower then the tuned M6 in every situation.

Sorry for the misinformation. I must've misunderstood Markus then.

Don't worry Crash - Stephan just wants us to get in diuscussion mode

Our comparison with the tuned M6 could be summarized as follows:

- On our way to a driving event (they conviced me to partcipate in a BMW event ) the tuned M6 was driving in front of me; traffic was rather heavy, that's why we could not go faster than 250-260kph or so; in that situation I had no problems in keeping up with the tuned M6; no performance differences were visible at all
    - Later we compared the high-speed performance of both cars; unfortunately, we could do just one single run up to max speed
    - At the beginning of this high-speed run the tuned M6 was directly behind me (in rather short distance); the tuned M6's driver felt that he could pass me - which he did when I moved to the right at around 270kph; the M6 was then indeed able to pass me, move ahead by 2-3 car lengths; thereafter, the tuned M6 kept the same distance to my car until I reached 326kph (speedo based) and my car ran into the rev limiter; the tuned (and delimited) M6 continued to accelerate

My interpretation: the M6 was able to overtake given the aearodynamic benefits of the slipstream. This would explain why the M6 was not faster after passing my car and driving next to my car.

In any case, it is safe to assume that any performance differences between this tuned M6 and the 996TTS were rather marginal. It is also safe to assume that the 997TT is faster than a standard M6 in ANY speed range (up to 310kph)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    My interpretation: the M6 was able to overtake given the aearodynamic benefits of the slipstream. ...

Yes Markus. This huge slipstream was made by Ferdinand Porsche himself.....

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    My interpretation: the M6 was able to overtake given the aearodynamic benefits of the slipstream. ...

Actually, I am quite serious about the slipstream...

In particular, why would the M6 suddenly stop pulling faster after passing my Porsche i.e. after the slipstream was gone? And that is excatly what happened

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

In particular, why would the M6 suddenly stop pulling faster after passing my Porsche i.e. after the slipstream was gone? And that is excatly what happened

You're probably right. The aerodynamic advantage could be great at such speeds and it would certainly explain the slowdown afterwards. You should try doing it in the 599, to see if it helps .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

You're probably right. The aerodynamic advantage could be great at such speeds and it would certainly explain the slowdown afterwards. You should try doing it in the 599, to see if it helps .

P.S.: I am really amazed how many posts have been made over a period of two weeks... Just returned from a vacation (with irregular checks of email/rennteam). There is a lot of stuff to read now

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

P.S.: I am really amazed how many posts have been made over a period of two weeks... Just returned from a vacation (with irregular checks of email/rennteam). There is a lot of stuff to read now

This is what you get when you let lots of people bored at work on the internet .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    ..... You should try doing it in the 599, to see if it helps .

What was the reason for Markus buying a 599? After this challenge with the M6 he was so frustrated that he sold his 996 immediately. So he made sure not to lose a second challenge.
    What is the end of this story? Markus convinced me of the advantages of a turbo and I will get a 997TT tip in summer .

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

What was the reason for Markus buying a 599? After this challenge with the M6 he was so frustrated that he sold his 996 immediately. So he made sure not to lose a second challenge.
    What is the end of this story? Markus convinced me of the advantages of a turbo and I will get a 997TT tip in summer .

No, he knew he could beat an M6. He simply had to get rid of the car and with the new Turbo being too slow for him, he got himself an adequately fast vehicle.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

No, he knew he could beat an M6. He simply had to get rid of the car and with the new Turbo being too slow for him, he got himself an adequately fast vehicle.

You know my motives

P.S.: turbosteff is just trying to tease me However, without success

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You know my motives

You're one ice-cold Ferrarista .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You know my motives

When will you get your 599? Spring 07?

@turbosteff
    Nice to read you here

Best Regards
    TambourCH

Quote:
    TambourCH said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You know my motives

@turbosteff
    Nice to read you here

Best Regards
    TambourCH

Spring 07 would be nice. I ordered much too late I am afraid (October). My car will arrive more like Dec07 or Jan08

However: no pain no gain

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TambourCH said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You know my motives

@turbosteff
    Nice to read you here

Best Regards
    TambourCH

Spring 07 would be nice. I ordered much too late I am afraid (October). My car will arrive more like Dec07 or Jan08

December is the perfect month for delivery of a new Ferrari.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TambourCH said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You know my motives

@turbosteff
    Nice to read you here

Best Regards
    TambourCH

You are really a nice guy

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TambourCH said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You know my motives

@turbosteff
    Nice to read you here

Best Regards
    TambourCH

You are exactly right. What kind of a nice guy would he be without a healthy dose of sadistic sarcasm?

Quote:
    Crash said:

You are exactly right. What kind of a nice guy would he be without a healthy dose of sadistic sarcasm?

In the last couple of weeks I told Markus several times that it would be a pleasure form me to drive up and down the street in front of Markus house. That give's him hard times without a sports car during summer. To hear the sound of my 997TT.....
    And (because I am so a good friend to him) I offered him a lift if his 599 has a breakdown. Then he can enjoy a ride in my fantastic car. On a good day maybe he can take the wheel....

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    In the last couple of weeks I told Markus several times that it would be a pleasure form me to drive up and down the street in front of Markus house. That give's him hard times without a sports car during summer. To hear the sound of my 997TT.....

If he will hear it at all...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TambourCH said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

You know my motives

@turbosteff
    Nice to read you here

Best Regards
    TambourCH

Sarcasm makes the world a better place.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM