Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Driving Shoes

What type of driving shoes do you use? I am looking for a pair of shoes that are responsive, but can use to walk in?? Any comments or info would be appreciated....Thanks........

Re: Driving Shoes

Piloti's are fantastic. Easy to walk in and great for street driving.

Oakley "Killswitch", size 14- I have a brown and a black pair. Nice style, comfortable and excellent for driving or walking.

Well if your willing to spend the money Porsche Design has probaly the most perfect shoe for driving. I've seen them selling in their stores. Leather, very comfortable (tried them on) and not like tennis or dress shoes. It's very hard to operate the clutch with big fancy shoes. The porsche design shoes are not cheap ($350-400 US). I have some Pumas, with the Ferrari logo on it. There great driving shoes, but not the greatest for walking around in. But they are definitely fashionable.

Vitallo-Monoposto
    You get what you pay for..Hands down the best money can buy.
    Made-to-measure for you in Bavaria.

http://www.monoposto-fahrerschuh.de/beispiele/bilder/bild4.jpg

www.monoposto-fahrerschuh.de

550 Euro's when I bought mine. They now offer a full FIA boot for 777 Euro.

Simply the best fit, and the sytling is retro classic.

Highly Recommended.

Brian

Quote:
    daedton said:
    Piloti's are fantastic. Easy to walk in and great for street driving.

Agreed. Very comfortable for every day use but great feedback when driving

I have the Tod's Road Lace-up, they are narrow and look better than the pure driving shoes in my opinion.

tods and sabelt are the best driving shoes as well as the most elegant.... hogan sneakers are good too

I have a nice pair of Cole Haan shoes. Very soft. They look just like Tods.

Depends on how much walking you mean. Pilotis are more of a sneaker adapted to driving, and thus are good walkers, though they'll never be a Mephisto.

Closer to a serious driving shoe are models from Oakley, thin, stiff soles, not a lot of cushioning, better for driving than Pilotis. Walking, well okay, but keep it down to a few blocks.

Then at the far end, there are real driving shoes, FIA approved, etc., such as the Puma Future Cats. I like the mid-heights myself. They're actually a little better to walk in than the Oakleys, but they're almost 2X the price.

Don't overlook good socks as part of the kit. SmartWool and Orvis both have excellent wool-synthetic blend socks, assuming you don't need Nomex.

If you like McQueen's look in Bullitt, you can get Tod's driving shoes, charcoal pants, a dark blue turtleneck, and a sports coat. (I almost forgot, Jackie Bissett, circa 1966, and a yellow 356 cab, to round the set out.) I've not tried a pair of Todd's, but if they were good enough for Steve....

HTH,

Jim

I use Puma Speed Cats. Pretty good. The Ferrari ones have the better sole!

Quote:
    DMD said:
    What type of driving shoes do you use? I am looking for a pair of shoes that are responsive, but can use to walk in?? Any comments or info would be appreciated....Thanks........

Piloti's are great, although you should probably order them one half size (U.S. sizes) larger if you wear heavier socks. They are reasonably priced, too (about $90-110, depending on which ones you get), and have a special extension of the rubber soul on the outside of the right foot to aid in heal-and-toe operations. And they are reasonably comfortable for walking.

Jim

I have several pairs of Asics and some Sperry top siders. I also use them for walking and cutting the grass. I have done the Ironman Hawaii in the Asics. I have done much sailing in the top siders.

Quote:
    I have done much sailing in the top siders.

Just as an aside.....What type of sailing? I've been sailing most of my life from one designs, PHRF to iceboats.

I like Puma Speedkat's, Sparco, Sabelt, Tods and Timberlands!

I usually wear these (Keen MION) when I'm going to be doing 100+.

I started crewing in Lightnings. I moved on to Lasers then PHRF crewing on the local circuit in New Orleans, La.

I found this driving shoe

I wear these shoes when I am feeling "BIG".

Nice...bet the foot that wears that ba$tard smells real sweet.

Re: Driving Shoes NO NO NO

Come on people.... Piloti's are SO WIDE and clunky.... the only shoes for REAL driving are.....

ALPINESTARS !!!

I use these for karting and Formula Mazda stuff.....

Quote:
    DMD said:

What are the advantages to wearing driving shoes while driving a street car?

I can see wearing flame retardant racing shoes with a flame retardant racing suit, underwear and gloves and a full coverage helmet while in a competitive racing event in a car equipped with a roll bar, five point safety harness and fire extinguishing system but would feel silly wearing driving shoes with a pair of jeans, T-shirt and during the winter a Pendleton shirt (my normal garb) while driving on the street or at a DE.

I know they don't make you any faster. When I attended PDE last spring at Barber Motorsports there were a lot of guys wearing driving shoes but the fastest time turned in during the autocross was turned in by a guy (me) wearing a pair of comfortable rubber soled Mephisto Match walking shoes like these.

For me, comfort and familiarity are paramount and I would feel really stupid wearing a pair of driving shoes if I jumped into my Dodge 1500 RAM 4x4 pick-up instead of the 911.

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    What are the advantages to wearing driving shoes while driving a street car?

I can see wearing flame retardant racing shoes with a flame retardant racing suit, underwear and gloves and a full coverage helmet while in a competitive racing event in a car equipped with a roll bar, five point safety harness and fire extinguishing system but would feel silly wearing driving shoes with a pair of jeans, T-shirt and during the winter a Pendleton shirt (my normal garb) while driving on the street or at a DE.

I know they don't make you any faster. When I attended PDE last spring at Barber Motorsports there were a lot of guys wearing driving shoes but the fastest time turned in during the autocross was turned in by a guy (me) wearing a pair of comfortable rubber soled Mephisto Match walking shoes like these.

For me, comfort and familiarity are paramount and I would feel really stupid wearing a pair of driving shoes if I jumped into my Dodge 1500 RAM 4x4 pick-up instead of the 911.

I have a pair of Mephisto's just like your's, but I don't have a wide or long foot - just a 9 and 1/2 D. I have difficulty doing a proper heal and toe with them, and that's the only reason I pot the Piloti's.

Jim

I have Pilotis, Pums's and Moreshi's, and few more I can not remember. Try Avventura they sell some great italian made driving shoes, I've bought pleant of pairs from them

Quote:
    John SF 2005 997 S said:
    Come on people.... Piloti's are SO WIDE and clunky.... the only shoes for REAL driving are.....

ALPINESTARS !!!

I use these for karting and Formula Mazda stuff.....

Quote:
    DMD said:

[image]http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/images/shoes/tech1Rblack

For pure racing, you're right, you need a purpose built racing shoe.....but if you want a great shoe for time trials, autocrossing or DE's (track days) and also be comfortable wearing them all day, you can't beat the Piloti's. I've used them for years and really like them.

I know the Piloti's are a bit on the clunky size but they are excellent all around driving/walking shoes and they come in many colors. As a bonus I use them when playing drums! So, to answer your question you need to ask yourself what kind of driving shoe suits you best? Will you be tracking with them (Pilotis might not be the best choice then) or will you use them as a combination drive/walk/run/jog shoe? Then Pilotis can not be beat. Go with another brand if you strictly want a track shoe for heel toe or aggressive driving. Pilotis can be a tad to bulky for that. Personally I love mine Pilotis and Griots Garage carries many different styles, sometimes on sale (I am not affiliated with them in any way). Good luck.

just get the shoes which will drag the least bit of dirt and mud into your car! hehehe

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Oakley "Killswitch", size 14- I have a brown and a black pair. Nice style, comfortable and excellent for driving or walking.

Thanks for this tip Richard.

I've been trying to get some Piloti's since reading a thread here some time ago, but they don't appear to be available in the UK. So after seeing your post I ordered a pair of 'Oakley Killswitch' online from James & James.

They arrived 2 days later and are FANTASTIC.

My heel & toeing suddenly improved 100%

Just got a pair of these mid cut sneakers.....very comfortable in my opinion

http://www.porsche-design.com/live/P1740_fashionsneakers_en.PorscheDesign?ActiveID=40224

Porsche Design have just teamed up with Adidas. The P'5610 driving shoes look quite nice.

http://www.adidas.com/campaigns/porschedesign/content/uk/index.asp

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777276 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441707 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262786 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260961 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85232 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5577 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880659 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815970 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM