Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Autozeitung: Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Corvette Z06

Complete translated article:

TRACK test Corvette Z06 against Porsche 911 GT3 R-S
    Both place the basis for a racing car, and the Corvette Z06 and the new Porsche nevertheless separate 911 GT3 R-S worlds. Running professional Kurt Thiim tests both on the Formel-1-Kurs in Hockenheim
    Red-Green the couple draws each attention in the nearly deserted driver camp of the Hockenheim ring on itself. "That the hardest examination for the Corvette ", prophesied ex-DTM-professional Kurt Thiim. And it is right.

The potent US hammer is compromiseless built: small weight owing to a chassis from aluminum and carbon fiber composite materials, bear-strongly owing to the largest Small-Block-V8, the general of engine built ever, and drehzahlfest owing to titanium piston rods, sodium-filled titanium intake valves and aluminum flat-topped pistons. Only the valve gear is still made by a central arranged cam shaft. 512 HP as well as 637 Newtonmeters torque speak a clear language, the maximum speed of 320 km/h likewise. In the end still the Sahnehäubchen: The weight per horsepower of the Z06 is with only 2.8 kg/PS. That should be enough, in order to frighten each Porsche, or?

But: On a good round time also things decide such as brake performance and driving stability in the frontier. And here in the comparison to the flat, broad Corvette nearly delicate 911 GT3 R-S set, weight per horsepower: 3,3 kg/PS. And the R-S models show already since 1972, what is possible in puncto driving dynamics with one to road-certified for car.

Newest R-S is there no exception. Again 20 Kilos more easily than the normal GT3 and equipped with an adjustable chassis, optimized aerodynamics as well as finest Racing attributes, he start, in order to control the sports car world.

The hoarse barking 3,6-Liter-Boxer in the tail has not only just as exclusive Innereien now as the GM-V8, but also over an a mass flywheel, which saves eight Kilos opposite the conventional flywheel. "The engine reacted thereby very spritzig, turns phänomenal fast highly ", describes to Thiim the effects, "at all, the Porsche is actually a racing car, you notices it immediately at the clutch counter-pressure or also at the high switching forces. And if you drive off in the morning, it cracks here and there, Laufgeräusche comes from the drive strand. You experience the same, if you roll with a cold racing car from the box lane on the runway - wonderful. "

In relation to achievement disadvantage the Corvette - 415 to 512 HP - the GT3 R-S with its chassis and the standard Michelin Semi Slicks wants to than only compensate more. The Goodyear Runflatreifen of the Ami is there rather a everyday life-suited solution.

Thiim decides after two sample rounds with the two cars as the first for the Z06: "The conversion between the two cars is giant-largely, thus around falls it however somewhat more easily. "The Dane does without any electronic support. Thus he selects the attitude "ASR and active handling out "in the cockpit display. After short approach the V8 bollert over the start/goal straight line. With 204 km/h Thiim throws the anchor before the north curve and switches down.

Becomes clear already here: "You must leave yourself time when switching, otherwise it cracks in the transmission. The operating paths are clearly longer and not like that exactly defined as in the Porsche. "The second characteristic of the Corvette becomes clear in the next right curve before the long Parabolika: Of 211 km/h Thiim must down up to 58 things, to give in and on as early an accelerating as possible concentrate at the same time. "All no problem, but in the seats of the Corvette I find too little stop to technical and slip partly somewhat helplessly around ", say Thiim later.

But which after the slide portion follows, fascinates the Dane: "The Drehmomentkick and this Beschleunigungsorgie up to the pointed turn place simply everything into the shade. "251 km/h the government inspection department measuring instrument indicates at the point of applying brakes gently, to only 44 km/h stands the close right curve - maximum permissible load for all vehicle components. "The car remains very stable with these hard brakings. But the tires are overtaxed on the racing course and lubricate. The handling loses thereby at precision. "

Again the Z06 start, as if would be the devil behind it ago. The large V8 has easy play with the unloaded weight of 1440 kilograms. In the gentle right break before the Mercedes grandstand Thiim must briefly of the gas and loses speed. Also the following sector into and by the Kurvengeschlängel of the Motodrom becomes probably never the favourite playground of the Corvette. Thiim: "You must force yourself in curves again and again to the peace, give the car time to stabilize. Only so you can use the whole power.

The body movements are more pronounced in the comparison to the Porsche and want to be taken into account. "Accordingly the applying brakes gently speeds are very highly, the curve speeds however rather average. Only the outward easily superelevated special curve facilitates it the Corvette a little. The drift with 97 km/h at the entrance to starting/goal straight lines is hardly to be avoided. Few seconds later Kurt Thiim with 187 km/h rushes by the light barrier. Its total time: 1.57, 90 minutes

The racing professional rises directly over into the Porsche and squeezes themselves into the bowl seat. The electronic PASM chassis pressed on hard posed, those sport key for still more spontaneous responding of the engine and traction control deactivates - it can loose-go. Hoarse roaring the GT3 R-S hunts on the north curve to and brakes clearly later than the Corvette. However it is here also nine km/h more slowly than the Z06.

The same play before the next curve: very late and hard applying brakes gently into the curve inside, then just as early accelerating. Here the class of the chassis and the tire show up. The rate of turn is appropriate for ten km/h more highly than with the Corvette. Then the pointed turn, Thiim follows applies brakes gently with 241 km/h, thus ten km/h lose on the US sportsman. But: The brake point lies stately 23 meters later, that is nearly five vehicle lengths.

Thiim in addition: "Nevertheless, in order to realize a time advantage with the Porsche, you must drive and the engine out crimpings very exactly. But for it this car is exactly built. Giving in behavior and driving stability are simply great. "Where it had to almost give full power in the Corvette carefully to act, can it in the Porsche. And it must it also, because up to applying brakes gently before the Mercedes grandstand the Corvette lies still in front with 0.87 seconds projection/lead. "You can take the entrance into the Motodrom in the Porsche nearly fully. There the new aerodynamics of R-S already plays a large role ", says Thiim.

Now the running driver plays his decades of experience out and flogs the Elfer by the curves. In the last sector it actually gets a projection/lead of 1.23 seconds raus and crosses after 1.57, 44 minutes the goal line, knappe five tenth ofs a second in former times as with the Corvette. Thiim rolls abgekämpft into the box lane: "If you so a Porsche to buy want to be, must you a Racer. Otherwise the outstanding driving experience is opened for you never. The GT3 R-S is not a toy. "

Result
    "The test was a large surprise for me. We have here two completely different sports car concepts, which can be moved as expected also completely differently. On the side with the Corvette Z06 a genuine Powercar from the USA with 7,0 litres capacity to the asking price. On the other side a racing car with road permission. The Porsche 911 GT3 R-S as something else to designate, would be missed. During the series tyre the two separate worlds likewise. Everyday life-suited Runflat tires on the V8-Monster, Semi Slicks on the finely balanced racer. And which happens? The two separate only five tenth ofs a second at the end. The Porsche makes exactly what you want. The Corvette presses as wildly forward. But you can convert Kraft many more badly, because you must constantly fight. You need in the Corvette also more courage than in the Porsche, it come even in the fourth course still crosswise. If you could bring these Kraft on the bitumen - Semi Slicks does not give it for the Z06 to time yet -, then it were a genuine monster. The Porsche is that absolutely rounds and snaps total package."

Z06
    Laptime: 1,57.90 min
    GT3 RS
    Laptime: 1,57.44 min

Re: Autozeitung: Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Corvette Z06

Cool ! thanks for the article and translation thereof ! :-)

I know more about corvettes than I do about porsches. The Z06 is great car, which is handicapped by the awful run-craps. Unfortunately, that is the only tire choice at the time if you want to keep the stock wheels. Hopefully, in year or two tire industry will catch up to the need.

Wow - the Vette would be MUCH faster than the RS if they both used track tires (like the RS). The Z06 just about equaled the RS when using Run-Flat tires...

Re: Autozeitung: Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Corvette Z0

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Wow - the Vette would be MUCH faster than the RS if they both used track tires (like the RS). The Z06 just about equaled the RS when using Run-Flat tires...

Almost equal, but not faster And all that happens on a fast track where Z06 has a major power advantage, so great job from Porsche

it is remarkable that a 70k car, more than capable as a daily driver, can be this close to porsches flagship street/track car in a serious racing senario...no contest the clear winner is the z06.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    it is remarkable that a 70k car, more than capable as a daily driver, can be this close to porsches flagship street/track car in a serious racing senario...no contest the clear winner is the z06.

Z06 has a suspension setup, which is everything, but not good for the streets.

That Vette interior looks like it could use some improvements. Plasticy and you can already see creases in the leather.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    That Vette interior looks like it could use some improvements. Plasticy and you can already see creases in the leather.

How else can GM sell it for $70K ? There's no free lunch.
    Have you seen the cheap looking large -grained smooth plastic used on the dash and upper door panels by Porsche on their current non-Turbo Cayennes ? Or remember the " football " grained plastic dashes and shiny peeling plastic buttons on the 996 and 986 's from 1997 -1999 ? My prev early '99 996 had to be the worst Porsche interior of all time .

Huh????

Are we medicated?
    Let me get this straight. In order for the MIGHTY Corvette Z06 to match the performance of the GT3RS the Corvette needs 85 more HP.

Oh but the Z06 is $50K cheaper you say.
    Chevy would sell not one Z06 if it was priced at the RS's range AND if the RS was priced in Z06 range, no one would buy the Z06.

Also the "cup" tires on the RS are not the cup tires as we know it. These cup tires on the RS are a new tire designed for the RS for ROAD use. It was desinged to sacrifice dry weather grip for wet weather grip. So the RS would be even faster on proper cup tires.

Besides, imagine what the RS would do with the extra 85HP the Corvette has.

To me the real winner is the RS, by far.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Huh????

Are we medicated?
    Let me get this straight. In order for the MIGHTY Corvette Z06 to match the performance of the GT3RS the Corvette needs 85 more HP.

Chevy would sell not one Z06 if it was priced at the RS's range AND if the RS was priced in Z06 range, no one would buy the Z06.

Imagine what the RS would do with the extra 85HP the Corvette has.

It depends on whether the test is which car can do it for the least money or with the least hp . . . or which is just the better performing car . . .

The Z06 is a stellar performer, and as GM's quintesential track car, it would surely beat Porsche's quintessential track car (at the moment) if it had better tires.

It would also beat the Turbo.

As Porsche fans, we must be honest about these things, even if we still wouldn't buy a Vette. We must be honest that performance is not the only reason we buy and love Porsche (as far as performance can be judged by the numbers). There are other things that influence us, and they include style and image as well as a host of other things.

Corvettes get bashed mosly because people have a preconceived notion of what a Vete is all about, and that has a lot to do with image. But the new Vettes are simply great sportscars.

That's it.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Huh????

Are we medicated?

Also the "cup" tires on the RS are not the cup tires as we know it. These cup tires on the RS are a new tire designed for the RS for ROAD use. It was desinged to sacrifice dry weather grip for wet weather grip. So the RS would be even faster on proper cup tires.

Besides, imagine what the RS would do with the extra 85HP the Corvette has.

I interpret this article as "if you want a dedicated track machine, get a Z06 and put $2K into extra rims/tires"

One thing you can't take away from the Z is its lightness. You can always add extra power, getting rid of weight is a lot harder

Both cars are great. But...

the GT3RS surely is a thrill to drive on the track, but this colour, this green, somehow reminds me of...

Quote:
    PeterK said:
    [
    One thing you can't take away from the Z is its lightness. You can always add extra power, getting rid of weight is a lot harder

My first 911 20 years ago weighed 2700 lbs . My Turbo weighs nearly 3600 lbs due to modern safety gear , today's market required luxuries and bigger /heavier "everything" to compensate for the power . But when you have to stop or turn, you still have that extra 900 lbs ( like six extra passengers ) to contend with !

FWIW (may be kinda amateurish, pls forgive me)

I have zero problems completely disregarding ("dissing") either Corvette (ZO6 and regular) when compared to the Porsche Turbo.

For a "luxury" road car, a daily driver which is docile on city streets and a monster in highway passing lane: nothing beats the 997 Turbo. It's well worth the extra money over any Corvette.

Deciding which *track* car to buy (ZO6 vs. GT3 RS) seems like it would be tougher.

If I had to buy a track car I would likely pay more for the GT3RS (over the ZO6) because of the distinctly Porsche handling characteristics.

In the end you have to buy what lights your fire. Vettes do nothing for me, and the current C6 and the C5 Z06 both feel sort of blunt to me. Fast, but blunt. I haven't driven the C6 Z06.

My 996 GT3 and my Ferrari both feel precise, tight, and lighter than their actual weights. Like there's no slack anywhere, from lack of slack in the shifter to the steering to the chassis. Far more engaging and they give a feeling of being well crafted and high quality.

These intangibles, even beyond the badge, are what does it for me.

I doubt anybody reading this thread needs to go that extra second around a 2 minute track. What matters is the journey getting there. My pick (easily) is a GT3 variant.

Great pics, whoever took them. Of both cars.

Yep, and my Z (albeit it is a last gen 03 car) tips the scales at barely 3000lb with a quoter full fuel. The new gen of Zs is only a few lb heavier.

There's no denying that the Z06 is simply one heck of a rocket. Part of me enjoys the tactil perfection, and communication, and artistically lovely styling/execution of my 997S. But another part of me wishes I had the spawn-of-satan power, bellowing V-8 scream, and immediacy of the Z06. Heck, I just reacquainted myself with a regular C6 6-speed last week (my national branch manager just bought one) and while it wasn't anywhere "better" than my Carrera S, I still wished I could have that 6-liter LS2 crammed behind my seat.

Porsche vs. Corvette? Two totally different animals, two different ways to skin a cat. One uses a surgical scalpel, the other hits it with a sawed-off shotgun that liquifies the inerds and leaves the pelt hanging on a nail on the wall!!

While we all love our scalpels here, don't be so arrogant to believe there aren't plenty of other great ways to have fun, for a decent dollar. If GM wrapped a Z06 in a Caddy XLR body and interior, I'd be gone...

Let's keep our starry eyes in check.
    People here are mixing the arguement.

The point and facts are that one would expect a car that has 85 more HP AND the lighter weight to obliterate the other. And the Z06 doesn't do that, even as good as it is.

As a comparison a GT3RS and a regular Carrera 2 has roughly 85 HP between them. You know the result of that.

I'm NOT saying the Corvette is a piece of crap. It's not. GM should be proud of what it's done, but where would the Z06 be WIITHOUT the 85HP? It's called a C5 Z06.

Again, ask yourselves, Where the RS would be with 500HP? How much HP would the Z06 need then to beat it? 600, 650, 700HP?

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Let's keep our starry eyes in check.
    People here are mixing the arguement.

The point and facts are that one would expect a car that has 85 more HP AND the lighter weight to obliterate the other. And the Z06 doesn't do that, even as good as it is.

As a comparison a GT3RS and a regular Carrera 2 has roughly 85 HP between them. You know the result of that.

I'm NOT saying the Corvette is a piece of crap. It's not. GM should be proud of what it's done, but where would the Z06 be WIITHOUT the 85HP? It's called a C5 Z06.

Again, ask yourselves, Where the RS would be with 500HP? How much HP would the Z06 need then to beat it? 600, 650, 700HP?

You're totally discounting the tires.... Put both cars on identical rubber, and then make your statement. Otherwise, it's pure speculation...

You wouldn't compare two cars skidpad #'s if one was running on a slicker skidpad, would you?? So don't conveniently ignore when a car is hobbled by compromised tires...

Yes, I know it's the O.E. tire, but one truly must give it SOME sort of a equalizer when comparing it's track performance to a car sitting on tires that wouldn't last for **** on the street... If you're going to compare, do apples, or do oranges.

Or in other words, If GM came out with a "track" version of the Z06, outfitted and tuned to run on those tires, with few compromises made toward street civility/utility, similar to the GT3 RS, do you honestly, intellectually, think the margin would be that close??

You've got to be joking.

Ok, let's HONESTLY and INTELLECTUALY put both cars on identical tires. Done.
    BUT lets ALSO even up the field by putting 85 more HP in the RS OR dropping the Z06's HP down by 85HP.

Who do you honestly think the winner will be then?

Come on.
    Don't get me wrong - don't mean to sound like Im attacking you - I love the Z06, it looks great and it is a fun car to drive and it's an effing beast. It is exactly what it is, but the RS is more.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    If GM wrapped a Z06 in a Caddy XLR body and interior, I'd be gone...

That's a good point.

Handling characteristics aside.

There's something about that Corvette styling which plain turns me off.

Just looks too Camero or Ponnyak to me.

Get some strikingly good, non-dumbed-down, Ferrari/Lambo, refined, non-mass-market, non-GM looks to that car and I might buy one.

In short, something which doesn't look like a chicken-sh*t designed-by-committe, much-too-complicated-and-overdone, Corvette would be great.

The car simply has gone thru too many facelifts and today has retained too many of it's stylistic features that it picked up "randomly" along the way.

MMD, the 997 looks pretty generic now. It needs a redux to make it look less passive aggressive and to give the shape better definition. Its like some Taurus designers softened it too much.

Lately Porsche is suffering from some sort of design flu - to wit - the obnoxious rear exhuast treatment on the 997TT and the phony quad pipes on the 997.

And where did Porsche find that committee of retired Pontiac execs to ok the new TT's wheels?

There is less fru fru nonsense on a new Z06 and the car looks aggressive. Its spartan inside but so what,so is the price.

Quote:
    RR4 said:

Ok, let's HONESTLY and INTELLECTUALY put both cars on identical tires. Done.
    BUT lets ALSO even up the field by putting 85 more HP in the RS OR dropping the Z06's HP down by 85HP.

Well, changing tires is something that anyone can do in as little as $1000 and an hour in a tire shop. How much would it take to add 85hp to an RS3? I recon it would be a major $$$

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    MMD, the 997 looks pretty generic now. It needs a redux to make it look less passive aggressive and to give the shape better definition. Its like some Taurus designers softened it too much.

Lately Porsche is suffering from some sort of design flu - to wit - the obnoxious rear exhuast treatment on the 997TT and the phony quad pipes on the 997.

And where did Porsche find that committee of retired Pontiac execs to ok the new TT's wheels?

There is less fru fru nonsense on a new Z06 and the car looks aggressive. Its spartan inside but so what,so is the price.

LOL. Yours are good points all.

The mentality that gave us quads and 19s (and other details) if allowed to fully express itself in the years ahead will signal the END of my enthusiasm for new Porsches.

What I like about the 911 as a series is that it has kept a basic shape which is aerodynamically founded by the 356. It really hasn't changed much considering 40 years of "facelifts."

The teardrop shape is nothing less than an essential symbol of Porsche-ness: form and function are (symbolically at least) perfectly married.

My main problem with the Corvette, as I've stated, it is too bizzy. Has too many design cues from facelifts given in by-gone eras. The overall styling of the car itself has changed drastically over the years too. All of this symbolizes a lack of integrity to the original concept of Corvette.

Or maybe not..., since I just realized Corvette has no integrity to an original concept which is worth having integrity toward.

The original concept was for corvette was "America's Sports car."

GM's postion for the Corvette is "fru fru," and "whatever it takes to sell the car," given changes in public likes and dislikes for how cars look.

Porsche's ideal was, among others, to engineer cars to win races and produce driver's vehicle reflecting intentions of high-speed automobile travel on roadways designed for highspeed.

IMHO, Porsche's point of departure, which still gives us the teardrop shape, has more lasting credibility and significance.

just my us$.02

I think the comparison should have been with the GT3 not the GT3RS, i mean do you see a wing sticking out on the back of the Z06 or semi-racing tyres? Seriously, the Z06 seems to have achieved its goal here. I would still not buy one over a GT3 but kudos to the corvette guys for doing all the right things an making the right decisions including light weight etc... so we all benefit from the competition. I think the corvette team should be proud of themselves and their achievement as engineers and car fans and this is coming from someone who would not buy one. Voila, next they have to work on the finer stuff such as tactile feedback and materials and maybe get some help from the cadillac guys. That said, i am happy driving a slower 997s or a gt3 because i have seen the light after my experience with the e60 M5, it is not all about numbers and power (PS i think i have finally become an adult at the age of 41 or maybe i just need to put my testosterone patch back on, i am getting soft....)

In a perfect world, Porsche would buy Corvette from GM.

The GT3 RS should smoke any production Corvette. The Carrera S should be inline with the Z06. This would've been the case if the C2S had 415hp and the GT3 had 500hp. Porsche is not staying ahead in the power game...All 911's should be fast and they are not. I say turbo charge all 911's, add another 44mm to the hips and use 325's.

RR4 ...how do you figure 85?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761141 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260127 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80814 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871510 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806746 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM