Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Too much or too little headroom?

Probably a silly question but do you think there is too much or too little headroom in a Carrera?

I am 6 foot tall and I have lots and lots of headroom when sitting in my Adaptive Sports Seats in their lowest setting. So from my perspective the car could much lower (adding to handling and aerodynamics).

I am just wondering how tall you would need to be to run out of headroom. Walter Rohrl looks pretty tall so perhaps the car is tailored to him?!

Re: Too much or too little headroom?

I voted for 'just the right amount'. I'm 6'3" (1.90m). It's nice that I can put my seat lower, my wife (who is a little shorter than I am) can put her seat higher than mine and we can be at the same elevation. (Makes kissing easier). This is possible because there is the extra headroom for her seat to go higher than mine. She also puts here seat a little further forward than mine too. (Makes holding hands while I'm driving easier).

Actually, coming from a BMW 3 series, what my wife and I felt more than anything else is simply how cosy the interior of a Carrera feels. We feel so close together and that the car is wrapped around us. Such a wonderful feeling!

i'm 1,88, no problems

So easy, what your saying as that you bought the 911 not because its an awesome luxury-sports car but because it has the optimum set up for in-car displays of affection? In this case forgo PCCBs and X51 and see if any OPCs will fit you with vibrating sport seats..

I'm 1.93 and never had problems with space in a 911, only in a 944 I missed some head space but I don't know if the seat was all the way down.

LOL... but I do have heated seats which makes my wife feel cosy!

No seriously, I got it because it's an "awesome luxury sports car" which puts a smile on my face every time I drive it...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    She also puts here seat a little further forward than mine too. (Makes holding hands while I'm driving easier).

Easy, with -22 you should have both hands on the wheel at all times!

LOL....but seriously, it's so sensitive, the slightest movement in the wheel has an effect so to keep a nice steady line, 2 hands are essential at any speed above 30-40mph

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    She also puts here seat a little further forward than mine too. (Makes holding hands while I'm driving easier).

Easy, with -22 you should have both hands on the wheel at all times!

""Holding Hands"" , leave it out lads , I just finished lunch .....

Anyway , when me and my other half go out in the Voyager she sits in the back in the third row seats , I try to hold her hand but she says NO ..

Thanks for the response so far guys. I am thinking perhaps there is varying head-room depending on whether you have:

- Cabriolet vs Coupe
    - Sunroof vs no sunroof
    - Adaptive vs Sports vs Normal seats

I have like a good 5-6 inches clearance above my head in my Cabriolet with Adaptive Sports Seats set at their lowest setting (and of course an infinite amount when the roof is down!).

Assuming that most people have equal growth in their upper and lower extremities I estimate someone of nearly 7 foot could fit into my car!

That to me suggests the car has too much headroom.

What seems like extra head space is for the helmet

..that's my thinking.

Re: What seems like extra head space is for the he

The headroom is perfect !!!
    I am 6' 7" amd the 997 series is the first car of this class that I could comfortably fit in (best with adaptive seats). Even with a helmet for track use at the PDE was do-able.

Okay, that sorts that one out. Now how does everyone feel about having enough giving-head room?

At 6'2" I have about 5mm left over; does that mean if I hit a major bump I'll crush neck vertebra?

I can't imagine wearing a helmet in this car; will be impossible for me (track events). The only seat adjustment I have left is slanting the seat back farther back; that can't be good.

Quote:
    AE said:
    I am 6' 7" amd the 997 series is the first car of this class that I could comfortably fit in (best with adaptive seats). Even with a helmet for track use at the PDE was do-able.

Ah helmets! I forgot to factor that in.

6'7" and a helmet though still fitting, that's impressive

Unsure how MMD has only 0.5cm left at 6'2". MMD, do you have a coupe + sunroof + normal seats (+ a disproportionally short legs )?

Quote:
    John H said:
    Okay, that sorts that one out. Now how does everyone feel about having enough giving-head room?

Always count on you John to comically lower the tone

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    AE said:

Ah helmets! I forgot to factor that in.

6'7" and a helmet though still fitting, that's impressive

Unsure how MMD has only 0.5cm left at 6'2". MMD, do you have a coupe + sunroof + normal seats (+ a disproportionally short legs )?

Sunroof yes. Coupe, with A.S.Seats. I've got a German physique(?). Shortish legs, longish torso (44L suit size). I have seatback nearly upright; close enough to allow wrists to properly fold over top of wheel. Headroom is fine but extra clearance is nada.

No problem with headroom in the Cab, especially with the top down.

My brother in law was driving mine recently with the hardtop installed and he's quite tall,--remarked that it was an amazing amount of headroom and space for such a car. He's an easy 6-4.

Dan

While at the PDE in Birmingham, a basalt black Carrera GT was at the track for a potential customer demonstration. One of the instructors let me sit in the vehicle but it was impossible to even get into as a result of my height ... therefore no lusting for me over that spectacular model !!!
    My conclusion is too little head room, thank you 997 designers!

Quote:
    AE said:
    While at the PDE in Birmingham, a basalt black Carrera GT was at the track for a potential customer demonstration. One of the instructors let me sit in the vehicle but it was impossible to even get into as a result of my height ... therefore no lusting for me over that spectacular model !!!

Had that same feeling a long while ago with a purrrrfect _V12_ Testarossa; I was very disappointed at the time (glad now I didn't buy it).

No matter what I did (seat adjustment) I could not fit in that car AT ALL. It's like Ferrari Himself decided no one over 6 feet would be able to own one.

Quote:
    AE said:

Exactly! I can't fit in the GT. Hurt myself trying. I'm also 6'-7" and have about an inch of clearance in my cab w/ power seats.

6'6" , and the perfect amount of space...

Many comment on how spacious the car is. That's definitely one of the top reasons why I love, love the 997: roomy, yet still very intimate- best fit, driving position and most comfortable car ever to me . I'm glad Germans tend to be a bit taller...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

Always count on you John to comically lower the tone

Err... thanks Alex - don't forget to factor in the helmet.

Quote:
    John H said:

Yes, again the issue comes up: those back seats are definitely a problem.

Being only 5'9" I have no problems whatsoever, however, I am impressed that people over 6'4" can drive a 911 comfortably! My younger brother found my 996 a real squeeze and a friend who is 6'5" could not even get his legs (very long legs) in to the 996. Seems the 997 really is a huge improvement on the 996.

One question I have, what size does someone is 6'4" tall wear and is there enough room in the footwell?

I only wear a size 8 (UK size) and have no problems but I recently drove a RHD car and found that there was a noticeable difference in the footwell - LHD is way more spacious and the footrest allows (for me at least) my foot to rest quite comfortably.

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Being only 5'9" I have no problems whatsoever, however, I am impressed that people over 6'4" can drive a 911 comfortably! My younger brother found my 996 a real squeeze and a friend who is 6'5" could not even get his legs (very long legs) in to the 996. Seems the 997 really is a huge improvement on the 996.

One question I have, what size does someone is 6'4" tall wear and is there enough room in the footwell?

I only wear a size 8 (UK size) and have no problems but I recently drove a RHD car and found that there was a noticeable difference in the footwell - LHD is way more spacious and the footrest allows (for me at least) my foot to rest quite comfortably.

At 6' 7", I wear a size 15 US (49 or 50 EU) shoe. No problem with the footwell. Heel / toe downshifting works well with a narrow healed driving shoe. Wide heeled athletic shoes can get in the way of clean footwork.

Quote:
    AE said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

At 6' 7", I wear a size 15 US (49 or 50 EU) shoe. No problem with the footwell. Heel / toe downshifting works well with a narrow healed driving shoe. Wide heeled athletic shoes can get in the way of clean footwork.

Hi AE,

I'm also in between 6'7''-6'8'' and also wear a size 15/16 US. Where do you find a decent driving shoe, cause over here in Germany I ran out of luck looking for it, therefore heel/toe is not quite possible.

Thanks,

Getaway

Quote:
    Getaway said:
    Quote:
    AE said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

Hi AE,

I'm also in between 6'7''-6'8'' and also wear a size 15/16 US. Where do you find a decent driving shoe, cause over here in Germany I ran out of luck looking for it, therefore heel/toe is not quite possible.

Thanks,

Getaway

I was fortunate in finding an Italian made shoe at the Nordstom Rack in Seattle. The Rack is a high end department store's clearance centre in the States. A real bargain at $80 USD for a $300 MSRP shoe. I hope that the pair lasts for a few years so that the search for a new pair can be delayed.
    Good luck with finding an appropriate shoe.

I'm only 5' 10" tall so I don't have a problem. I had a friend, who is about 6' 4" sit in it last Friday, and he was shocked that he didn't have a problem with head room. And he was comfortable.

Jim

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774153 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439938 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261871 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260155 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84743 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813798 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM