Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rear Spoiler - Help!

Assuming everything is on automatic (ie I did not press the spoiler extension button and the LED light is off) If i start to go over 120km/h for an extended period, how do I know if my spoiler came up while im in the car? does the led light actually light up by itself? I mean if im in the car and the light is off - but im doing well above 120km/h- is there anyway to know if the spoiler is up while im driving? thanks!

Re: Rear Spoiler - Help!

No AFAIK, the yellow LED only lights up in manual mode. Have a look in the manual. It has quite a detailed section on operating this.

Have someone follow you and watch!

Up at 120kph (75mph)
    Down at 60kph (37.5mph)

When parked, manually open the spoiler.

Shove a wad of paper in there and clamp down on it with the spoiler.

Take car for a blisteringly fast ride.

Then when pulled over for speeding and littering check to see if paper wad is missing.

If no cops around, just pull over and check to see of paper is missing.

Mount a mirror on a pole, adjusted to point downward at an angle. Hold the mirror pole through an open sunroof. Maybe then you could see if the spoiler is up or down.

Look at your shadow or reflection while speeding (I'm not responsible for accidents that result from this maneuver)

I see the spoiler up through my center rearview mirror. Easy to see.
    Don't tell me you need a booster seat.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    When parked, manually open the spoiler.

Shove a wad of paper in there and clamp down on it with the spoiler.

Take car for a blisteringly fast ride.

Then when pulled over for speeding and littering check to see if paper wad is missing.

If no cops around, just pull over and check to see of paper is missing.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I see the spoiler up through my center rearview mirror. Easy to see.
    Don't tell me you need a booster seat.

Really? Not on my Cab. But all I have to do is turn around and look through the rear window and I can just see the top of the thing.

Quote:
    Trundle997S said:
    Up at 120kph (75mph)
    Down at 60kph (37.5mph)

but at lower speeds when engine compartment is higher than a specific temp.

Quote:
    IDH said:
    Assuming everything is on automatic (ie I did not press the spoiler extension button and the LED light is off) If i start to go over 120km/h for an extended period, how do I know if my spoiler came up while im in the car? does the led light actually light up by itself? I mean if im in the car and the light is off - but im doing well above 120km/h- is there anyway to know if the spoiler is up while im driving? thanks!

The only indication is a non-indication! If the spoiler fails to deploy, you will get a warning message that it failed to deploy. Too bad there is no hack that you could enter a code on the PCM to show the status of the spoiler and maybe some other operation conditions of the car.

these answers are amusing...MMD now that is a brilliant idea with the piece of paper, but it sure made me laugh..

I would say, trust the system it goes up and down according to speed, but you really should have someone drive your car so you can see it for yourself, or yes, have someone look at you.. So many people have often wondered this!!! We should have a camera in the back and it shows whats going on ..on the screen inside the porsche where the radio and Cd's play...ahhhh perfect baby..meow Porsche,.

Ferdinand wake up, are you listening to my cool suggestion

Black. Look for a shiny black panel truck and check your reflection on the highway when passing it.

Do what I do. Put you kids in the backseat. They can see if it's up. Beyond that, I just trust it to my faith in the fine engineering of Porsche.

The only way you are going to know is when you get stopped by the police, because from what I heard from a CHP, when a CHP sees the spoiler up from a distance he/she knows that you are going 75 mph or faster.
    I know the argument that you can open it manually and drive slower than 75 mph, just relaying the info.

But how can I be 100% positive the light in my refrigerator goes out when I close the door?

If you put a temp sensor on your refrigerator light bulb you can monitor it easily, with the door closed. Let technology solve technology problems.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    If you put a temp sensor on your refrigerator light bulb you can monitor it easily, with the door closed. Let technology solve technology problems.

I dunno, , the technology may be so advanced that the light only goes on and off when a person is actually checking to see if it's working properly.

Does a falling tree make a sound in the forest when nobody is present ????????????????????

I always thought about that conundrum. Then I realised that the question 'Does it make a sound?' is deliberately phrased to be ambiguous.

I'm not a physicist but it seems to me that the following happens: when a falling tree hits the ground, the sudden impact with the ground creates sound waves (which exist whether anyone is present or not). Those sound waves travel through the air while disturbing air molecules. If a person or animal is present, their ears will sense that disturbance in the air molecules.

By 'making a sound', do we refer to the existence of sound waves or the ability of a person or animal to sense those sound waves as 'constituting a sound'?

Just my 2 cents...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I always thought about that conundrum. Then I realised that the question 'Does it make a sound?' is deliberately phrased to be ambiguous.

I'm not a physicist but it seems to me that the following happens: when a falling tree hits the ground, the sudden impact with the ground creates sound waves (which exist whether anyone is present or not). Those sound waves travel through the air while disturbing air molecules. If a person or animal is present, their ears will sense that disturbance in the air molecules.

By 'making a sound', do we refer to the existence of sound waves or the ability of a person or animal to sense those sound waves as 'constituting a sound'?

Just my 2 cents...

From""rear spoiler"" , to the science of sound ..

Quote:
    Dasein said:
    But how can I be 100% positive the light in my refrigerator goes out when I close the door?

So here's a true story: back when I was in college I bought a used refrigerator for the dorm for $25 (tells you how much it was worth). I noticed through the poorly fitting seals that the light DIDN'T go off when the door was closed. Upon investigation, I found that the door frame was broken where it would contact and press the light-off switch, allowing the door to close without pressing the switch. Being a handy kind of guy, I got some duct tape and closed the hole, thereby having the tape itself press the switch closed when the door closed.

This merely uncovered the real problem, which was that the thermostat in the refrigerator was broken, causing the compressor to run continuously. The door had been deliberately broken by someone in order to leave the light on all the time, which generated enough heat that the food wouldn't freeze. Which mine did.

So I removed the tape. Which thereby restored the amazing equilibriam between the cooling capacity of the condensor running 24x7 and the heat generation of the bulb. And my food stayed cold, didn't spoil, and didn't freeze.

I do recall that there was a warning function on the 996 series, explicitly stated in the manual.

For the remaining questions, problems solved already.

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Just my 2 cents...

We are all so educated in this forum ..........

Quote:
    Pabs1 said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Just my 2 cents...

We are all so educated in this forum ..........

But have way too much free time

Sorry for this silly post but I was a Philosophy major (please pity me) and I've always found the "tree falling in the woods making a noise if no-one is there to hear it" a very ego-centric conundrum and yet no conundrum at all. It's like asking if a solar eclipse blocks the sun if no-one is looking, i.e. did the eclipse really happen? Of course it did, just as the falling tree made a noise totally independent of ears to hear it.

Quote:
    Dasein said:
    Sorry for this silly post but I was a Philosophy major (please pity me) and I've always found the "tree falling in the woods making a noise if no-one is there to hear it" a very ego-centric conundrum and yet no conundrum at all. It's like asking if an eclipse hides a planet if no-one is looking, i.e. did the eclipse really happen? Of course it did, just as the falling tree made a noise totally independent of ears to hear it.

Philosophy: "The systematic abuse of a language specifically designed for the purpose."

The only guys who made sense to me were Bishop Berkeley and Wittgenstein, both of who agreed with Descartes: "esse es percipi." IOW, if you don't perceive it, it doesn't exist.

Just trying to have fun... .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM