Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Exhaust Mod for 987s

Well was checking out some things because i want a more aggressive sound from my car and came across something that was simple and free!

Not sure if anyone has tried this here or not but i thought i would share it anyways just to make sure the new guys see it

Anyways it took less than 10 mins and definitely has changed the exhaust note and made it more aggressive. I don't intend to keep it like this permanently but something to do on days of spirited driving.

If you want more HP then this isn't for you but if you want just a bit more growl then give it a whirl.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10923
    http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread.php?t=4077&page=5&highlight=free+exhaust

Re: Exhaust Mod for 987s

I'm ultra interested in this!!!!!!!....Is it easy to do???

The thing is, I just have only one pic and lots of explanations in the links, but to be honest I dont understand the 50% of all, due to the technical parts that they say etc !, and there are not pics with ilustrations of what to do !...
    Its a shame you already did it !!!, I would have love to see step by step pictures with illustrations
    possible !!!Someone please do it and post pics of what to do, with illustrations !!! , Achim have you already test this???

If you look at behind and slightly above your tailpipe you will be able to see the connecting piece running between the two exhaust silencers (and the tailpipe connected to a similar pipe just below it.)

You basically loosen the connecting tube and slide it to one side, then retighten the clamping bolts to leave the connecting piece in your desired position - a visible 3-5mm gap between the sleeve and the pipework it was previously connected too seems to be ideal position to avoid excessive and tiring noise whilst achieving more growl.

Its obvious what you need to do when you actually look at the arrangement on your car

Alex, don't be afraid to get yourself a 13mm and 15mm wrench and crawl under your car and loosen up those three bolts. 15mm to loosen up the main bolt holding the clamp of the exhaust tip. Then above the exhaust outlet pipe is another pipe connected by the "sleeve" with two clamps. Loosen those bolts and slide over and test as needed

The pics in the links are all there is to posting step by step instructions!

Quote:
    harryo2b said:
    Alex, don't be afraid to get yourself a 13mm and 15mm wrench and crawl under your car and loosen up those three bolts. 15mm to loosen up the main bolt holding the clamp of the exhaust tip. Then above the exhaust outlet pipe is another pipe connected by the "sleeve" with two clamps. Loosen those bolts and slide over and test as needed

The pics in the links are all there is to posting step by step instructions!

harryo, excuse my ignorance , I have gone down to the garage, did some pics and when I saw all that metal with my own eyes, its not THAT easy !!!!

Finally with your explanation I know what to do, but I am afraid of how to get off the exhaust pipe of the boxster S(without getting this off is nearly impossible to reach those two bolts(so basically is moving those two bolts to a side maximum is 15mm right??...

I proceed to illustrate what I think I need to do !!!

So for getting off the TIPS, I need to get a wrench and get off that bolt + the other two in both sides??, circled in red! If this is correct, is it easy to put them again? once I do it all???

I think its not like this!!!

I'm just laughing how I did the illustrations !!!

I think it has to be more easy than doing that, I mean how you guys can do all that in 5-10mins????

2nd step!!

After getting the tips off!, I just loose those two bolts in the pic to a side, and leave it a bit open, like the other pics in the other boards???...

I just cant imagine doing all this in about 10mins !

You guys are gonig to kill me with this illustrations !!!!

sorry for that, but its X-MASS!!!!!!

merry Boxster's !

Alex, you are on target. Actually you just need to loosen up the nut/bolt on the clamp holding on the exhaust tip. This means just (1) 15mm bolt holding the clamp (5312) and not the three you circled. Once it is loosen up a bit you can wiggle off the tip to expose the rest of the area you are trying to get to. The other two bolts you need to loosen up are 13mm nuts/bolts holding (2) clamps of the upper sleeve which can't be seen from this angle on your picture as the exhaust outlet pipe conceals it. Once those nuts are loosen up you can slide/wiggle the sleeve to the left as far as you want for the desired sound.

Hope this helps out some more. Let me know if you need anything else!

Crap you just posted the second pic as I typed all that out. Yes, those are the ones you need to loosen up to move that 3 or 4 inch sleeve!

harryo2b

Many thanks !!!

Without your explanations I would never understand how to do all that !

I see, only that bolt numbered 5312 , and then moving in order to reach the upper bolts to move them to a side !

thanks again for your help !

I will keep you posted once I do all this WORK!!, but one thing is for sure, It wont take 10min for me !!!

merry xmass!

oh and many thanks percymon , your pic really helped me !

Wow, so the "hole in the muffler" sound is in fashion now?

Nice pics!

Now all you have to do is attach a small electrical motor to open/close the pipe, connect the motor to the sport button and... voila! You got PSE!

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Nice pics!

Now all you have to do is attach a small electrical motor to open/close the pipe, connect the motor to the sport button and... voila! You got PSE!

I bet it wouldn't take too long to get something made up either

I will do the mod in the next days, with the help of a friend

thanks again !

Hi, I did this mod on my car about 3 months ago and haven't changed it back to stock since. The car is SIGNIFICANTLY LOUDER with the steel plate slid to the side. There is some resonance between 2000-3000 RPM's (less as you approach 3000 RPM's) but above that it sounds great. From the outside it sounds even louder - I've heard a valet bring me the car and could hear it from up to 4 blocks away.

I also did the de-snork outlined on the site, removing the plastic restrictor plate installed on the 987's because of the documented problems of air intakes catching fire on the 986's. You can really hear the intake and difference while cruising - the car just echoes as you drive around town...sounds very 360 Modena-esque...from both inside and out....

However: I have experienced a hit in fuel economy (about 4-5 mpg)...

Also, you do NOT need to remove the tips to perform this mod...it takes 10 min at most to loosen, slide, and retighten the plate...

nice Juancarlos !!

With X-mass and the night life going on here, I havent had the time to do this...

Does it really reminds you to f360'ish sound???, wow, we better hope no one from ferrarichat reads this thread !!!

As close to a 360 as you'd get with a Porsche with the exception of the Carrera GT. After you do the mod(s), have someone drive away with your car, you'll see what I mean

Anyone care to post pictures of how exactly this can be done? I've read every post but I'm still unsure about what I should actually do... :/

I just tried the mod on my Boxster S, but changed back after the test drive. At idle the sound is a bit deeper and it growls a tiny bit like the 997 PSE. Especially if you stand still and blip the throttle. However, the resonance around 1500-2500 RPM is serious and in this RPM interval the sound is not nice at all. The whole car rattles and "buzzes". This can not be good for the exhaust system and the engine. If I would drive around like this always, I would be afraid of screws coming loose or metal fatigue at some point.

The only thing that rattles noticeably are interior parts (really just the cupholder, and on rare occasion a windstop if installed) and loose items lying around the car. You shouldn't notice any rattling in the exhaust area when listening to it on the outside. I also wouldn't worry about any "screws" turning loose either.

This mod shouldn't affect the engine at all, as all the mod really does is release a little more exhaust into the atmosphere. If anything, it may pollute just a little bit more

I was told by my dealership that the reason that steel plate is there to begin with is to keep the car quiet enough for 1) Swiss noise regulations and 2) keep the car quieter. Let's face it, most people that buy 987s don't do much to them, they take the exhaust sound as it is.

My original concern upon doing the mod was the extra heat generated from the exhaust but since the area above the exhaust tips are heat shielded anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.

Move the plate over and enjoy the sound....it gets a lot more attention, and it doesn't sound in the least bit ricey.

Well, I think the top pipe between the two mufflers is there in order to reduce resonance, not to reduce noise. This pipe would not be there at all unless it had a function. It might as well have been welded together, but by using a plate the system is more modular and if one muffler fails you don't need to exhange both. One company building aftermarket exhausts for Porsche uses the same design and they explicitly states that the top pipe is there to eliminate resonance.

Also, the reason the interior rattles is not due to the additional sound, but the fact that the whole exhaust system is vibrating. These vibrations comes from the mufflers, are carried through the manifolds, through the engine, through the engine bearings and to the rest of the car. Now, if the cupholders rattles due to vibrations in the mufflers, I would be very concerned... because this means your whole car is vibrating and shaking!

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Well, I think the top pipe between the two mufflers is there in order to reduce resonance, not to reduce noise. This pipe would not be there at all unless it had a function. It might as well have been welded together, but by using a plate the system is more modular and if one muffler fails you don't need to exhange both. One company building aftermarket exhausts for Porsche uses the same design and they explicitly states that the top pipe is there to eliminate resonance.

Also, the reason the interior rattles is not due to the additional sound, but the fact that the whole exhaust system is vibrating. These vibrations comes from the mufflers, are carried through the manifolds, through the engine, through the engine bearings and to the rest of the car. Now, if the cupholders rattles due to vibrations in the mufflers, I would be very concerned... because this means your whole car is vibrating and shaking!

Now I dont know what to do!!!!

And no!....STILL havent done the mod, i dont have too much time due to upcoming exams , just have the time counted to post in rennteam though !

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Now I dont know what to do!!!!

And no!....STILL havent done the mod, i dont have too much time due to upcoming exams , just have the time counted to post in rennteam though !

Just give it a try and then make your own judgement. It only takes 10 minutes with the right tools and I am sure you have an excuse for a studybreak from exams

Don't forget to remove the restrictor plate covering the driver's side vent for extra sound

You'll take a hit in gas consumption though...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691157 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235429 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858874 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM