Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman S @ 4.4 sec 0-60mph !!

Wow... I can't quite figure out where the Cayman owners ELITIST attitude came from and I own one... I could understand it if it was a Carrera GT forum... But please, we're talking about a robotically made mass-produced Porsche... One that drops like a rock in value the minute you drive it off the showroom floor...

I own a Cayman S and I love the way the car handles and drives... I did NOT buy it as an investment... My investment vehicles are my mint condition 1996 993 Carrera C4S or my 1964 Sunbeam Tiger... Not my CS...

Like I said, there's no doubt the CS is a nice car.. Exotic? NO; Collectable, I DOUBT IT... It's just an over-priced, over-refined, mass-produced sports car that has benefited from Porshces excellent marketing program... There's a reason why Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world...

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:I'm sure that a lot of Rennteamers would appreciate to see more threads coming from Cayman owners posting driving reports, pics, sharing ownership experiences etc.

Absolutely. There's enough common ground to share ownership highs and lows between 987, Cayman, and even 997. Valid and relevant discussion from the owners of other models is something you probably won't get from a Cayman-only board.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    "Porsche purists" would almost certainly only want a rear engined Porsche (probably air cooled). The Cayman is no more "pure Porsche" than a Boxster, or for that matter a Cayenne. To say that the Cayman is the only non-mass market Porsche other than the Carrera GT is either meant to be deliberately provocative or just plain silly. It's no less mass market than any other mass produced Porsche.

What irritates me more than anything else is that certain individuals cannot, or don't want to, accept the fact that the Cayman is a Boxster coupe. Nothing more, nothing less. And if that statement is considered as "slagging" the Cayman then by definition it is also "slagging" the Boxster that I have been so thrilled with I have twice paid my own hard earned money to buy.

Now that the Cayman S and Boxster S even share the same engine (that was originally hyped as being "developed specially for the Cayman") the cars are even more identical. Same engine. Same gearbox. Same suspension. Same brakes. Same steering. Same interior (apart from the cowl over the instruments). Same internal model designation (987). Only significant difference is the fixed head coupe or convertible soft top, with the marginal increase in stiffness and therefore handling that the former provides. The only difference in the owners of either car is the individual preference for that choice. Do I, as a Boxster owner feel "threatened" by the Cayman? No. Why would I be? If I'd wanted a Cayman I would have bought one. Would I have a Cayman S for my next Porsche should I buy one? In all possibility yes. I thought long and hard about it before I signed on the dotted for the Boxster S 3.4 I drive now. I prefer the mid engined precision of the 987 family to the rear engined feel of the 997 which I found it slightly cumbersome after I'd borrowed one for a week. Is my preference for a Boxster / Cayman way of doing things over a 997 "slagging" a 997? No. It's just my preference.I respect the 997 very highly.

Do 997 coupe owners "slag" 997 cabrio owners for their choice or vice versa? No. Do a small minority or any of the 997 coupe owners think that their car is "more of a proper Porsche" or more exclusive than the equivalent cabrio model? No. Is there any greater difference between 997 coupe and 997 cabriolet than Boxster and Cayman? No.

So why this anamosity? I think RC may be right when he stated in this thread that the founder of the Cayman club joined here to encourage this ridiculous anamosity to drive Cayman enthusiasts away from Rennteam to his own forum. The mistake here is that some here and I will take my share of blame, for maybe rising to the bait he'd dangled.

Hell we are all sports car enthusiasts. Let's bury the hatchet here and now, behave like adults and just get along respecting each others opinions realising that we are not always going to agree.

Give it a rest DC......same old stuff again. We all know the above. I have driven a new 3.4 Boxster.....and still find my Cayman to be a different car. You can spin it all you want, but there are subtle differences in the way the two drive no matter how much they have in common. I still would buy another Cayman in a heartbeat.

You are a proud owner of a Boxster (and well should be)....correct? If so, I believe there is a Boxster forum here.....correct? So wouldn't your posting efforts be of much more interest there.....instead of here? I mean this is a Cayman board the last time I checked.....for people that selected the Cayman (not a Boxster or 911) as their Porsche?

I wonder if I would be well received if I went over to the Boxster board and started asking why anyone would buy a serious sports car with a fabric top?......maybe that's why they are discounted compared to a Cayman

I agree, the moderators should step in and clean house....give the non-Cayman owner gnats that keep posting here a warning and start rebuilding what could be a much better forum for the actual Cayman owner.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

What irritates me more than anything else is that certain individuals cannot, or don't want to, accept the fact that the Cayman is a Boxster coupe. Nothing more, nothing less. And if that statement is considered as "slagging" the Cayman then by definition it is also "slagging" the Boxster that I have been so thrilled with I have twice paid my own hard earned money to buy.

Nothing changes round here I see. Funny still though, that it's always the same participants.

Dreamcar, c'mon, it's not JUST the comments relating to the similarities, it's ALL the other demeaning, and what I see as 'jealousy' posts that you've entered in the last 12 months!

To list but a few...

"Just think how much of an improvement it would be over my mere Boxster S 3.4" oooh - you feel threatened??

"Might yet get a Cayman coupe for the same price (or less) than the Cayman roadster. Which is where it should have been priced all along." - drooaaan...yawn...

"throt you must never, ever say on the Cayman board that you don't like the car or even hint that it's not perfect, or the not the best drivers car in the Porsche range or amazing value for money. Certain people here don't like it." - Pointless, trouble-making posting!

"What is it with certain Caymanites that they cannot accept any criticism of their icon? Best you go back to cayman.net or whatever it's called where you can worship your icon unchallenged." - again...!

"the marginally better handling of the Cayman is not as great as some would make out." - It's far better for my driving thank you, and yet another negative post! I'm losing count here!!

And this only went to September, plus I excluded all the multiple thread quoted post agreeing with like-minded (read small minded) individuals.

You know how many negative, [beep]-stirring, posts I made on the the Boxster or 911 boards......... NONE. nought.

Positive contributions or friendly banter. I think you've upset enough people to realise that is not how your posts read!!

Quote:
    MikeN said:I agree, the moderators should step in and clean house....give the non-Cayman owner gnats that keep posting here a warning and start rebuilding what could be a much better forum for the actual Cayman owner.

You are completely missing the point, and Zenephobia will get you no-where.
    Please DO post over on the Boxster board - or even any of the other boards. A Cayman is 80% Boxster after all, so I hear. I'm sure you'll get nothing but good humoured, well-meaning responses to posts in the same spirit. I for one don't suffer fools gladly though.

And no-one still wants to comment on the original thread topic!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:

Do you blame people when there's squatters like you around ready to pounce on any positive posts???

Quote:
    vanilla said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:

Do you blame people when there's squatters like you around ready to pounce on any positive posts???

Go on then. I promise I won't pounce. I'll even start a completely new thread...

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    vanilla said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:

Go on then. I promise I won't pounce. I'll even start a completely new thread...

Ok, as you promised!

Wow! 4.4 seconds is great! Only in Cayman could you get that sort of improvement!! The cars amazing! Sooo much better than a Boxster!!! (You did promise!!)

Quote:
    vanilla said:Wow! 4.4 seconds is great! Only in Cayman could you get that sort of improvement!! The cars amazing! Sooo much better than a Boxster!!! (You did promise!!)

LOL. Positive? Ahem. New thread is up. Don't disappoint me!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:I agree, the moderators should step in and clean house....give the non-Cayman owner gnats that keep posting here a warning and start rebuilding what could be a much better forum for the actual Cayman owner.

You are completely missing the point, and Zenephobia will get you no-where.
    Please DO post over on the Boxster board - or even any of the other boards. A Cayman is 80% Boxster after all, so I hear. I'm sure you'll get nothing but good humoured, well-meaning responses to posts in the same spirit. I for one don't suffer fools gladly though.

You might say that, but 90% of treads on this bb start out as normal well mannered threads and then it just descends into a few regular posters typing the same old stuff that's been in more or less every tread on this bb since the Cayman came out.

It's not that Cayman owners think the Cayman is the best car in the world, (I use to have a 911 before the Cayman btw), but when it's constantly berated with the same old lines by the same group of 3 to 5 people its gets very tiresome very quickly. Hence why everyone's pi$$ed off to a different forum. As a side note I can't stand ClubCayman, it's too "the Cayman is mighty blah, blah"

It seems to me almost all the treads on this board descend into a list of certain poster opinions of faults with the Cayman on every occasion, regardless of topic and woe be tide anyone who dares to say anything positive about the Cayman, even in this tread the same opinion from the same people are bring trotted out again for what must be the 50th time

For instance, to say, the Cayman is just a marketing exercise, it implies you must be gullible to buy one. Which I find pretty insulting. I find that a bit small minded, I wanted the security on a hard top and don't like the Boxster image either, so I went for the "drivers" version of the Boxster S.

This site will never change in my view, the regular posters are too 'clicky' and stick together to try and see off any individual who dares to change the status quo, with pointless agreeing/ and showing of unity when challenged.

Quote:
    toplad said:You might say that, but 90% of treads on this bb start out as normal well mannered threads and then it just descends into a few regular posters typing the same old stuff that's been in more or less every tread on this bb since the Cayman came out.

It's not that Cayman owners think the Cayman is the best car in the world, (I use to have a 911 before the Cayman btw), but when it's constantly berated with the same old lines by the same group of 3 to 5 people its gets very tiresome very quickly. Hence why everyone's pi$$ed off to a different forum. As a side note I can't stand ClubCayman, it's too "the Cayman is mighty blah, blah"

It seems to me almost all the treads on this board descend into a list of certain poster opinions of faults with the Cayman on every occasion, regardless of topic and woe be tide anyone who dares to say anything positive about the Cayman, even in this tread the same opinion from the same people are bring trotted out again for what must be the 50th time

For instance, to say, the Cayman is just a marketing exercise, it implies you must be gullible to buy one. Which I find pretty insulting. I find that a bit small minded, I wanted the security on a hard top and don't like the Boxster image either, so I went for the "drivers" version of the Boxster S.

This site will never change in my view, the regular posters are too 'clicky' and stick together to try and see off any individual who dares to change the status quo, with pointless agreeing/ and showing of unity when challenged.

Blimey. I actually agree with pretty much all you've said there.
    When I went shopping for my car, I too preferred closed top cars. But the Cayman hadn't been born then. I am definitely considering a Cayman when I chop mine in, despite the price thing. Marketing or no marketing, I don't see the reason for the price differential, but lets not go there. What's done is done. In addition, I bought the hard-top at time of purchase because of the security thing you mention - see the Avatar pic - though I never use it. I don't think anyone that bought a Cayman is foolish or gullable. They just prefer the Cayman to the Boxster for one reason or the other.

You've got to do the soft top thing at some point, I had an Honda S2000 and a TVR Tamora in the past, I was constantly worried I'd come back to find it damaged, now I leave the Porsche any where, well almost anywhere

Oddly I'm not worried about the roof so much now. It's the inability of people to pay attention in multi-storey car parks! I've been reversed into once already. And they drove off. I figured it was an elderly person that couldn't see the low car, and figured that Porsche owners were loaded enough not to trouble thier concience.

Why does this car provoke such vitriol between owners of other P cars? It makes me chuckle when people make "definitive" judgements on a car based on a brief test drive as it takes time to get to know the characteristics of a car properly. It's like reading some of the rubbish in car magazines or the deliberate attempts to liven up a show on Top Gear. When you own the car they are belittling you know they haven't taken the time or trouble to become familiar with it from some of the banal comments they make (I remember sitting incredulous at Clarkson's rubbish about how difficult i-drive is to use in a BMW for example). I guess we all like to think we are enthusiasts and "experts" in some way but the saying one man's meat is another man's poison fits appropriately here. We all like to think we made the right choice and bought the best car so it can be annoying to have that pleasure in some way diminished. This doesn't mean we can't have an exchange of views but as others have said why keep repeating those views over and over?

The biggest issues appears to be the pricing of the car and this will no doubt be debated until the cows come home but IMHO opinion the bottom line is that Porsche really couldn't risk making it cheaper than the Boxster as it would probably have seriously devalued the brand. To have priced it in Audi TT 3.2 territory would open up relatively high volume sales which would not be good for a "prestige" brand. How many customers for this kind of car would not prefer the cachet of owning a Porsche over an Audi? A lower priced Cayman would also naturally badly affect residuals on 987 Boxsters. This would undoutedly damage potential repeat sales from disenchanted 987 owners who perceived that Porsche had devalued their car by making a new Cayman with a full warranty more attractive than a used 987 to potential buyers. Similarly if they had bumped up the price of the Boxster to let the base Cayman start around Pounds34k then they'd have upset their existing Boxster customers. If you wanted to buy a replacement Boxster but were charged Pounds4k more for the priviledge just because the Cayman had to get the lower price point I think you'd be a bit upset. We already have lots of people lamenting the fact that Porsche is now a "volume" manufacturer. Had the Cayman been priced below the Boxster then I can only imagine the anger that would have poured out for the "cheap" Porsche that ruined the brand.As it is Porsche have spun a niche vehicle off an existing platform, priced it at a point which the market is accepting and at which they can control supply whilst making a good profit. They can afford to sit back and let the cars driving dynamics speak for themselves and build up a new customer base. Most motoring mags love the car after all due to its superb handling.

Given time the car will establish itself in the range in the same way that the Boxster and Cayenne have, as did the 924/944/968/928 before them. After all it is only just over 10 years ago that a similar debate was raging over the Boxster. A final note in support of the car. In last week's Autocar magazine Chris Harris wrote that he had found the perfect car for reawakening his motoring pleasure..... and the car he was talking about? A base Cayman 2.7 with no frills or options on it.

I'll put my flameproof suit on now

Just an observation

997 Turbo board - 9 out of ten posts - by 997 Turbo owners
    997 board - 9 out of ten posts - by 997 owners
    Boxster board - 9 out of ten posts - by Boxster owners
    Cayman board - 9 out of ten posts - by non Cayman owners

I don't log in to the Cayman board and expect to find the informative posts that were here when I joined six months ago. It is a shame. Wtsnet I appreciate you trying with a new post but it does seem a bit forced. For this board to to get back on its feet it should come from the Cayman community. I'm not saying all other owners stay away but just back off a tad, chill with all the insults etc.
    I'd quite like to have a discussion with Toplad, MikeN, Vanilla without having to defend the Cayman against someone complaining about Porsche's poor marketing tactics again.

Completely agree. And yes, it was forced, but I wanted to try to break the cycle. I look forward to some new and genuinely topical threads from the Cayman owners.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    Just an observation

997 Turbo board - 9 out of ten posts - by 997 Turbo owners
    997 board - 9 out of ten posts - by 997 owners
    Boxster board - 9 out of ten posts - by Boxster owners
    Cayman board - 9 out of ten posts - by non Cayman owners

I don't log in to the Cayman board and expect to find the informative posts that were here when I joined six months ago. It is a shame. Wtsnet I appreciate you trying with a new post but it does seem a bit forced. For this board to to get back on its feet it should come from the Cayman community. I'm not saying all other owners stay away but just back off a tad, chill with all the insults etc.
    I'd quite like to have a discussion with Toplad, MikeN, Vanilla without having to defend the Cayman against someone complaining about Porsche's poor marketing tactics again.

Amazing, isn't it.

@ mlin ,,

Imo there was far too much paranoia demonstrated by Cayman owners . It just seem to be a real sensitive issue with you guy's , and thats what I cannot figure . Afterall its your purchase with your money , you dont have to justify that to anyone , specially on a board...

Quote:
    throt said:
    @ mlin ,,

Imo there was far too much paranoia demonstrated by Cayman owners . It just seem to be a real sensitive issue with you guy's , and thats what I cannot figure . Afterall its your purchase with your money , you dont have to justify that to anyone , specially on a board...

throt...

If you would go back to the very beginning of this forum you will find that Cayman owners were called everything from fools to idiots....by mostly non Cayman owning gnats that continue to post here......just go back and look.

Paranoid??....nah I love my Cayman, but like most others I grow tired of being called names and reading crap by people who don't even own the same model.

So what if we love our cars more than other Porsche models......duh, that's why we bought them.

Point being I don't go over to other forums and bash that model even if there are people who believe the 911/Boxster/or whatever can do no wrong. Obviously they liked their model better if they selected it.

If I went over to the 997 board and called people idiots for paying $10k more for a car with inferior handling compared to a Cayman.....would that be laughed off? It's only my opinion...but I KEEP IT HERE!

Can you see the diff now?

Quote:
    throt said:
    @ mlin ,,

No paranoia, just bored of the same $hit by the same group who don't even own a Cayman.

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    @ mlin ,,

No paranoia, just bored of the same $hit by the same group who don't even own a Cayman.

Don't remember ever seeeing any info / pictures of your Cayman, toplad. If I'm wrong I apologise, but I'd be grateful for a link because I'm always interested in any and all Porsches.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, are you trying to imply I don't own one either????

Anyway, here you go, a few pics

Some of my previous cars also, if your interested

Nice bunch of car's .....Cayman looks good sitting there..

Enjoy in good health...

The Cayman S pic must have been taken some months back. It hasn't been 19.5C in the UK in months!

Nice cars Toplad! Do you not miss the thrill of the TVR??

Was thinking about one of those myself, but reliability issues and the future of the company made me have second thoughts!!

Hey Toplad, nice Cayman - excellent colour choice. thanks for sharing.

Quote:
    toplad said:
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, are you trying to imply I don't own one either????
    Anyway, here you go, a few pics

No, not at all. Two reasons 1, as I said I'm interested and 2, trying to change the tone of this thread from a slanging tennis-match back to what this forum is all about - cars

Many thanks for posting BTW, looks great in seal, is the 996 seal or meridian? TVR also looks great.

Nice pics.
    Be interested in your view of the Tamora. Why got rid?

996 was meridian, which was a special colour, could look a bit pink in some pictures with dark light.

TVR had its really good points and bad in equal measure, I've lashed together a few posts from other forums I made at the time, so it might not be the most articulate post, but it gives you a feel

First thing to make clear is you have to be a car nut and a hard core one at that! The build quality is rubbish, that's not to say it's going to break down all the time because mine never broke down or failed to start once(this is more common than you think), but the trim and interior are not very well designed or very well secured like on the "normal car". Leaks are common but can be fixed with a trip to dealer. If you don't mind trips to the dealer to sort niggles and leaks, you'll be fine. A lot of people can't be arsed with stuff like that and I can understand why, it could get very tiresome after a drama less Honda.

It goes without saying performance is shockingly quick given the right type of smooth asphalt, Tamoras don't like rough roads though, the steering is sharp and can be a bit to quick sometimes.
    The main problem I found when driving the Tamora was I couldn't seem t get into a rhythm the same way as I could with the 911. You know when you get focused on driving the thing, it wasn't the same. Not sure why.

Another thing to remember is the cars vary a lot in quality being hand built and a good rule is the later cars are better, I recently test drove the 05 T350 and it was much better in both terms of build quality and ride comfort than my 02 Tamora. The build date really is the golden rule imo to what sort of car you get, it's more of an evolution than a massive leap forward in build quality, but it's very noticeable. If I was buying another (I still think about it) I'd buy a new one with 3 yrs warranty.

The car itself is a total driving machine. It brakes, turns, acceleration like nothing else I've driven. It makes most cars feel bland
    if you're thinking of buying a Tamora, you need to look at a few and you'll see that the quality varies greatly. The first Tamora I viewed put me off buying one for a while, mainly because the interior was a mess after 15k and the thing rattled like and old tractor.
    Don't listen to the "experts" who trade TVR stories without the ownership experience, get a newish one and you'll be fine.

I viewed a few more and realised the first one was bad example of the Tamora. So I looked at a few more and picked the best one out of the bunch.

Mine was great and the only problem I've had was with a bracket which broke inside the door, I made another and installed, it took an hour.
    It always starts first time, even when it's been sat outside for 3 weeks in the rain while I was holiday. It's driven every day by me or the wife (she hated it btw. it's to raw for her)
    I am think of getting rid of the Cayman and getting a T350 a weekend car, even though TVR claim the Tamora and T350 are everyday cars I don't agree, the turning circle is woeful and the ride is to hard, I would sort the ride out with after market suspension if I bought one again and get a boring car for the daily chores. I tried to live with a Tamora as an every day car, but sold it with in 4 months.

Been looking at T350 for about 24K on Piston heads and feel very tempted

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690002 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409472 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255852 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235082 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858217 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774348 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM