Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3

pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:

I don't drive my car in the rain or drive it at night. 

Nick, no tracking the GT3 ever I presume either? no going anywhere were you have to park under the sun? I'm curious to the mentality behind this. Its not a delicate and irreplaceable collector's old classic used for expositions and concours', its a normal modern road car, it can be fixed, painted, the change in resale value whether you do drive it in rain or night is arguably small to us, a few thousands maybe, etc. Surely its more worthwhile to drive as you want, when ever you want, like its meant to?

I have a friend who is like this with his cars, he is just OCD about his sportscars, after a drive he has to clean them for example, and if it may rain he won't take them out Smiley 

there was a thread in ferrarichat, where a 458 italia owner in LA took off the windshield wipers because of esthetic reasons.....well, in february when i was in LA it rained heavily:::)))) seems he can't go out with his car before studying the weather channel:::)))))

Human craziness never seizes to surprise me... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Just got more information from my dealer and it's getting worst. My car will now be completed on September 15th. However, it will not board a ship unit October 13th. More than likely it will be stored in an outside lot. The date for my delivery is now November 24th.mail

What really gulls me is other guys with similar initial build dates (july 21st) have been advised there will be no delays. Their cars will be delivered in September.  Also, I am really pissed that my car will sit in an open lot for 30 days. I don't drive my car in the rain or drive it at night. To have my car sit outside for a month is unacceptable.enlightened

Shouldn't take that long.

Ship passage is like 2 weeks from Germany to Long Beach. Then perhaps a week in customs.

Nick, I agree but this situation is different. If Porsche follows through on their notice to dealers that no US cars will leave Germany until mid September they will have a considerable backup of cars on the dock. It may take a month for my car to get on a ship.

I am not anal about my cars. I avoid driving my car in the rain or at night because I have a RRS that is better suited for those driving conditions. What's the point of driving a 500hp GT3 in the rain or at night when visibility is poor? That said, when I do drive my car I want it to look it's best. Driving around in a dirty or poor looking $180,000 car is tacky and does an injustice to the car. 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Haha you gonna hate me, I do that with the 918 all the timelaugh

--

Whoopsy:

Smiley I drive my car(s) also in rain and snow all the time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Ditto. This was the F50 over the weekend:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWk0nvCjMsd/

crayphile:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Ditto. This was the F50 over the weekend:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWk0nvCjMsd/

Smiley Smiley

--

nberry:
    That said, when I do drive my car I want it to look it's best. Driving around in a dirty or poor looking $180,000 car is tacky and does an injustice to the car. 

The proper look for a GT3 is when it's covered in dead bugs, brake dust, and rubber from track tire debris Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    nberry:
    That said, when I do drive my car I want it to look it's best. Driving around in a dirty or poor looking $180,000 car is tacky and does an injustice to the car. 

The proper look for a GT3 is when it's covered in dead bugs, brake dust, and rubber from track tire debris Smiley

x2, the proper look is not dictated by how much the car costs, but rather the type of car it is, and an always shinny clean GT3 is like a sofa with a transparent plastic cover Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

+1 kiss

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

There is a proper look for a car? indecision I want to drive it, it has to be technically OK and I hate it when the car has damages like scratches or dents or damaged rims. Other than that, I don't care how dirty the car is, I want to drive it. indecision

--

Here's one example of a GT3 being driven...

...how do you like them apples?

Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

I knew when I post my comments I would get push back. When is the last time any car manufacturer introduced a model covered with dirt? Unless caught in an unexpected rain storm, why in the world would anyone be driving a high performance sport car in the rain especially if they also own a SUV?

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

exactly!!!!!! the car is made to be driven under all (most) weather conditions. it does not melt.

nberry:

I knew when I post my comments I would get push back. When is the last time any car manufacturer introduced a model covered with dirt? Unless caught in an unexpected rain storm, why in the world would anyone be driving a high performance sport car in the rain especially if they also own a SUV?

i tell you why i do it. when i take the car on a road trip away from home for one or more weeks i cannot choose the weather i encounter. and the GT3RS is fun under most conditions.......

nberry:

I cannot remember when I washed my car by hand (I mean really by hand...) last time, maybe a couple of years ago (I think the 997 Turbo was the last and I only did it because I had one of my kids helping me).

It takes too much time. I understand why people do it but I barely have time to drive my car, so my loose it by cleaning it?! Smiley

--

RC:

I hate it when the car has damages like scratches or dents or damaged rims. Other than that, I don't care how dirty the car is, I want to drive it. indecision

Massive +1, scratches, dents and the rim curb grating damage is a no no Smiley, I detest damage rims.. 

Women are the dogs dangles of the ""curb grate"". When they feel that horrible grating, they know their parked up okay. Sure they think its a parking aid Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

nberry:

As simple as when I buy a car, I dictate when and where I would use it, my driving habits will not be dictated by the weather.

Thats why I got winter tires on the 918 too, cause if I feel like driving it when I woke up, the white stuff outside will not stop me.

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

As simple as when I buy a car, I dictate when and where I would use it, my driving habits will not be dictated by the weather.

Thats why I got winter tires on the 918 too, cause if I feel like driving it when I woke up, the white stuff outside will not stop me.

great spirit! i shall put winter tires on my RS and drive it from vienna to MC across the alps at xmas time. then it is up the  col de turin i and the route napoleon.....

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Nick, you use the car for intended purpose. Your 918 though all weather, its intended purpose is performance. What's the point of driving a 918 in the snow especially since you own several cars that are suited for that purpose?

--

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Nick, you use the car for intended purpose. Your 918 though all weather, its intended purpose is performance. What's the point of driving a 918 in the snow especially since you own several cars that are suited for that purpose?

The same purpose of driving a GT3 around traffic or highway in La Jolla? Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Be gentle. I am sure Nick can find a short stretch of road and maybe a turn or two where he gets the chance to explore 5% of what the GT3 can do SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Driving a sports car is not always simply about going "fast".  They are just as much about the feel and sound of the car, even if driving slowly.  Only issue is tires...R-comps aren't always that great in the rain (my Elise will hydroplane).  Oddly, my former 135i was a car I took out in the rain as much as possible because it was so much fun, but that car had Michelin PSS. Frankly, one can only just scratch the surface of performance of a GT3 on the street, and thus, you sure as hell better appreciate many other aspects of the car, otherwise it will collect dust.

Another point: as someone who spends a decent amount of time in Vancouver, B.C every year....I know that if you only drive your sports cars when it is not raining, you would cut the available days to drive in half.  Same thing for our friends in the U.K.

For practical purposes in Southern California, choosing to not drive in the rain is of no consequence because it rains infrequently.  I have driven my GT4 in the rain maybe twice since taking delivery almost two years ago, because the car is not a daily driver.

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

Carlos, even in traffic the GT3 (PDK of course) is fun to drive. Certainly more fun the previous cars that I owned except for the Ferrari's. That said, none of us can get to our cars full capability whether on a track or in traffic.Smiley

--

Manual + PTS-slot approved texted the dealer. angel

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

nberry:
    That said, none of us can get to our cars full capability whether on a track or in traffic.Smiley

Just because we can't lap as well as Walter Rohrl, doesn't mean that we can't get a GT3's full capability of acceleration, braking, and cornering at the track (and Vmax on the Autobahn).  The hard part is consistenty maximizing all of those every time with perfect transitions on a lap.  And the fact that it's possible but not easy is why it's fun practicing and becoming better at it.  I wouldn't try to do any of those in traffic...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:
    nberry:

I cannot remember when I washed my car by hand (I mean really by hand...) last time, maybe a couple of years ago (I think the 997 Turbo was the last and I only did it because I had one of my kids helping me).

It takes too much time. I understand why people do it but I barely have time to drive my car, so my loose it by cleaning it?! Smiley

Try to BUY a car instead of your numerous leasing deals and I'll guess you'll treat the car different, even when washing it...?Smiley

nberry:
    Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

--

Carlos, even in traffic the GT3 (PDK of course) is fun to drive. Certainly more fun the previous cars that I owned except for the Ferrari's. That said, none of us can get to our cars full capability whether on a track or in traffic.Smiley

--

I agree, and that is your answer to the question you made Nick about the 918 in snow, just at a different speed, and the freedom that you drive when you want to... at the very least it will put hair on your chest Smiley

--

Porker:

Very curious for our 'parking spot' next year in LM... will we all get our preferred hue?

Nothing beats road tripping in a sportscar, even in treacherous conditions (within reason). You just adapt to them...

Porker:

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM