Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne a 911 substitute?

Not sure if you guys are really interested but I wanted to share this with you:

Today I brought my Cayenne Turbo to my dealer to get a sport exhaust installed. My dealer was nice and gave me a 996 Cabriolet with Tiptronic as a loaner.
    Wow, what a difference compared to my Cayenne. A difference like day and night. I enjoyed driving with the open top (sun, around 23*C today in Bavaria) for about an hour and I loved the steering feel and handling of the 996 Cab. Even the Tiptronic felt much better than on the Cayenne Turbo, almost no throttle and shifting delay. And the exhaust sound...just devine. I missed that 911 sound for a very long time. BTW: no sport exhaust installed, the original thing.
    Final conclusion: I realized how good even the non-Turbo, non-GT3/GT2 996 actually is, I also realized how much I miss owning a 911, I also wish I could afford owning both, a Cayenne Turbo and a 911 and finally, I just can't wait to get another 911 as soon as possible.

Re: Cayenne a 911 substitute?

I knew it that loaner car was a start of a new toy

Before U know it we'll see the pictures of your new 997

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    I knew it that loaner car was a start of a new toy

Before U know it we'll see the pictures of your new 997

Ron, I was almost ready to buy that GT3 in my dealer's showroom again. This is a Porsche I could drive for the next 5 years without being worried of driving an "old" Porsche.
    But there is one problem: money. I can't afford it. I wish I could but I can't. Family comes first, I think I just have to wait and hope that the stock markets go up again.
    The 997 would be very nice too but it is the same problem: money. As much as I want to drive a 911 again, I can't. My wife felt really sorried for me today, she even offered to think about her new car in two years when she has to return her SLK32 (lease end). She hates soft tops but if she likes how the 997 Cab drives...maybe. It would be a Tiptronic but better than nothing. Time will tell. If I'm able to put the Cayenne Turbo on the company next year, I might consider buying another 911 again. But right now business doesn't go too well and as I said, family comes first. I never thought a car would make me that addicted, I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, I don't take drugs and I don't cheat on my wife but when it comes to cars, I'm completely lost.

Your dealer knows you well, he knew very well what he was doing when giving you the loaner 911

Quote:
    RC said:
    ......I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, I don't take drugs and I don't cheat on my wife but when it comes to cars, I'm completely lost.

I love that last sentence!

Quote:
    I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol, I don't take drugs and I don't cheat on my wife but when it comes to cars, I'm completely lost.

I hear you.

Cars, what a saga.

Nothing to talk about in a forum but kind of funny and goes with your story . This past weekend, while driving in town, my wife was chewing me out that I don't listen to hear and blah, blah, blah .....You married guys know what I'm talking about .

Suddenly a yellow Gallardo drove by and I asked her to be quite so I could hear the engine sound . As you can tell it didn't go very well.
    When it comes to cars I become a different person. My wife claims that the only time she sees me laugh and smile is when I'm talking to someone about cars .

I guess we're different kind of nuts .

A similar thing happened to me but with just a plain Boxster (no S) for a loaner. I had it the first three days of this week and it was just great. I had the top down everywhere I went and the sound of the exhaust was fantastic. That car is so light, you can toss it around, push the rear out with a little throttle, just wonderful. I came home and discovered I couldn't get in because I forgot to take a gate opener. Oh darn, I'll have to drive back to the office.

I need a third garage.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    A similar thing happened to me but with just a plain Boxster (no S) for a loaner. I had it the first three days of this week and it was just great. I had the top down everywhere I went and the sound of the exhaust was fantastic. That car is so light, you can toss it around, push the rear out with a little throttle, just wonderful. I came home and discovered I couldn't get in because I forgot to take a gate opener. Oh darn, I'll have to drive back to the office.

I need a third garage.

Maybe Porsche should sell a Boxster or 911 at half price with every Cayenne. I bet they'd sell much more sportscars.

I reduced my dream garage to the following cars:
    1. Cayenne Turbo
    2. Porsche GT3
    3. 997 Cab Tiptronic
    4. Lamborghini Gallardo
    5. Carrera GT

Any sponsors out there?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    I reduced my dream garage to the following cars:
    1. Cayenne Turbo
    2. Porsche GT3
    3. 997 Cab Tiptronic
    4. Lamborghini Gallardo
    5. Carrera GT

Any sponsors out there?

No Ferraris????

About time !!!

It is about time you came to your senses Christian.

No matter how good the Cayenne is, there is just no point in comparing an SUV to a car. Handling wise, a car of the same calibre will always handle better than an SUV. And then when you start talking about a sports car ... well, there is absolutely no comparison!

Query, why the GT3 and not the GT2?

Also, I would advise any European to consider ordering a GT3 in the USA specifying European delivery. Base price is about US$100K and significantly below the price in Europe now. This is a great way to get a GT3 at a very cheap price.

Glad to have you back Christian !!!

Stephen

Re: Cayenne a 911 substitute? NOT!

Your conclusion is correct... your Subject line is wrong. It should have been: Cayenne NOT a 911 substitute!

You know it, I know it, lots of these forum members know it - the ones who see a 911 for what it is - there's no substitute!

Well, RC, you're not the only one. The call of the car is a strong one and the call of the 911 is one of the strongest.

I promised my wife I'd be a good boy for a year or two and take care of family obligations, too, but she finally realized it was too much and we've agreed I can by another 911 this October or November, after the family trip to France this summer and after the slow (for us) summer business season.

If I was smart, I'd stay away from Rennteam until then. But I'm not smart, I'm a car nut!

But there is no substitute for a great sports or GT car in the garage.

Soon, soon.

Dain

Are you thinking new 997?

Re: About time !!!

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Also, I would advise any European to consider ordering a GT3 in the USA specifying European delivery. Base price is about US$100K and significantly below the price in Europe now. This is a great way to get a GT3 at a very cheap price.

Not so sure about this. There is import duty and VAT on top of the 100K, which brings the price up to almost the EU prices.

Moreover you'll have a US spec car (unless you can specify EU spec?) which I'm sure will have a lower resale value over here.

Anders

Quote:
    Anders said:
    ... Moreover you'll have a US spec car (unless you can specify EU spec?) which I'm sure will have a lower resale value over here....

Or... maybe higher... as the tighter safety US spec might be more desirable for some European customers. It is in fact for other brands like MB or BMW.

In Antwort auf:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Suddenly a yellow Gallardo drove by and I asked her to be quite so I could hear the engine sound . As you can tell it didn't go very well.

simply great, ron!

Love love love that post!
    This is good RC!
    Come back to us my friend, Porsche or not, it's the Carrera we're talking about.
    Think about it.
    You don't need a Cayenne Turbo do you?
    A nice GT3 in the garage, and just a landcruiser for the family. You still have the ML55 anyway haven't you?
    Ron,
    Loved your story, I can only imagine your wife's face, grand!
    BTW, was it worth it? Does the Gallardo sound good at least?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Or... maybe higher... as the tighter safety US spec might be more desirable for some European customers. It is in fact for other brands like MB or BMW.

Apart from minor things like the rear bumperettes and orange side markers I thought the cars were identical these days.

Anders

North American vs. European prices

Quote:
    Anders said:
    Not so sure about this. There is import duty and VAT on top of the 100K, which brings the price up to almost the EU prices.

Moreover you'll have a US spec car (unless you can specify EU spec?) which I'm sure will have a lower resale value over here.

Import duty? The car is manufactured in the European Union. VAT, yes. But isn't the difference in base price approx US$100K vs. Euro 100K. What is the exchange rate today? 1.19422. That represents a significant savings. It was even higher not long ago. What causes this situation is Porsche's method of pricing the car at introduction and hedging the currency risk.

As for the relative worth of Federalised Porsche in Europe, the cars are almost identical and the warranty on the North American car can potentially be longer. There are a lot of USA cars in Europe.

Stephen

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Love love love that post!
    This is good RC!
    Come back to us my friend, Porsche or not, it's the Carrera we're talking about.
    Think about it.
    You don't need a Cayenne Turbo do you?
    A nice GT3 in the garage, and just a landcruiser for the family. You still have the ML55 anyway haven't you?
    Ron,
    Loved your story, I can only imagine your wife's face, grand!
    BTW, was it worth it? Does the Gallardo sound good at least?

you are the one who should've taken that black GT3 at home...
    can't you understand RC? He is too old for that kind of toys....!

RC, don't beat me, I am joking...

Re: North American vs. European prices

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Import duty? The car is manufactured in the European Union. VAT, yes. But isn't the difference in base price approx US$100K vs. Euro 100K. What is the exchange rate today? 1.19422. That represents a significant savings. It was even higher not long ago. What causes this situation is Porsche's method of pricing the car at introduction and hedging the currency risk.

Oddly enough it doesn't matter that the car is manufactured in the EU. It's bought from the US and as such you must pay 10% in import duty.

Your price comparison is not fair. The Euro 100K price for Germany includes 16% VAT. The price for a US vehicle imported to EU is about Euro 92K including import duty (without VAT). The price for an EU vehicle is Euro 88K (without VAT).

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    As for the relative worth of Federalised Porsche in Europe, the cars are almost identical and the warranty on the North American car can potentially be longer. There are a lot of USA cars in Europe.

Maybe. But looking at asking prices for the cars that I follow somewhat closely (Porsche and Audi) tells a different story.

Also as a data point (although not entirely applicable) look at the prices for EU cars in the US. I seem to remember seeing awfully low prices on EU GT2s for instance.

Anders

Quote:
    Anders said:
    Oddly enough it doesn't matter that the car is manufactured in the EU. It's bought from the US and as such you must pay 10% in import duty.

Your price comparison is not fair. The Euro 100K price for Germany includes 16% VAT. The price for a US vehicle imported to EU is about Euro 92K including import duty (without VAT). The price for an EU vehicle is Euro 88K (without VAT).

Import duty even if the car was delivered in Germany on the European delivery program and never shipped to the USA?

If the figures you quote are correct then you are right. I haven't investigated this closely. My comments were just based upon what I understood the situation to be.

Thank you Anders.

Stephen

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Are you thinking new 997?

If I was going to pay that much, I think I'd go look for a GT3!

No, I'm back and forth between a 993 C2S or a 2002 996. I'd be happy with either, really. My last 911 was a 964, which I loved to distraction, so part of me would like to get the 993 experience.

It'll probably come down to finding the best deal on something that has the right stuff and turns me on.

Which is the easy part!

Dain

Mid-life crisis

Quote:
    Captain Bady said:
    can't you understand RC? He is too old for that kind of toys....!

I have a lot of faith in Christian! Granted, he is becoming middle aged ... and he hasn't been driving a real sports car much lately ... but I'm sure that if he takes it easy for a while and works up to it slowly he will, sooner or later, almost be his old self again!

Just like one of those middle aged men who has a mid-life crisis and goes out and buys a leather jacket and a Harley.

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Import duty even if the car was delivered in Germany on the European delivery program and never shipped to the USA?

Yes, weird huh?

I have a GT3 on order and before ordering I investigated this option somewhat given the state of the exchange rate, only to find that the prices were very similar in the end.

It would be a different story if I worked in the US for a while (don't remember exactly how long) and brought the car with me when I moved back, then there would be neither import duty nor VAT.

Anders

Quote:
    A nice GT3 in the garage, and just a landcruiser for the family.

A Landcruiser? What possible justification could there be for a car guy to trade in a Cayenne, any Cayenne, for a Landcruiser? And I believe RC is a car guy!

Guys, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns but I NEED a Cayenne Turbo. It is the only SUV I can drive without regretting it sooner or later. The ML55 has been fun but the Cayenne is THE Porsche among other SUVs and it feels and shows. However, as I pointed out, it is no 911, not even close to it and definetely no substitute. I can't afford owning two Porsche right now but it would be the perfect combo, I agree. I might be able to persuade my wife in 20 months to go for a 997 Cab instead of the SLK55. But I want her to be happy too and if she doesn't like soft tops, I can't force her to buy a car she doesn't like. And of course I could have bought the GT3 at my dealer instead of the Cayenne Turbo. But when would I have time to drive it? Weekends? Family time (and I really enjoy it). During the week? I have to work. Driving to work in a GT3? I drove in my Cayenne to work and people already commented that I must have made too much money to be able to afford such a car (one reason I drive to work in our ML55 again ).
    I don't need another garage queen, I need a car I can really drive. When my son is 3 years old, I can put him in the rear of a 911. Now at age 8 months, it would be really not a good idea, especially since we need to have a baby stroller with us all the time. I have to wait another 2-3 years to be able to go for another 911 but if my wife accepts a 997 Cab with Tiptronic, it would save us a lot of money. She needs her car anyway and I'd be able to drive it too with the kids together. It is no 997 Turbo and no GT3 but it is a 911. If my wife wants to go for a SLK55 or maybe "just" the SLK350, I might buy myself a 997 Turbo and put the Cayenne Turbo on the company. I know it sounds complicated but it isn't. I just have to make compromises and as I said before, family comes first. Another garage queen would make me much more unhappy than a Cayenne Turbo. And yes, there is no substitute for a Cayenne...if you're a car nutt and Porsche addict.

You are really having a hard time

... but owning a Cayenne AND a ML 55 seems a bit redundant to me ... I'd sell the ML and get myself a 911 instead ???

I have pretty much the same problem and use a BMW E65 730d for work an family ... and a 996 cab for fun and leisure ... but have to admit that i really don't like SUV's ... don't make too much sense in my opinion unless you don't need the offroad capabilities ...

Greetz

Quote:
    If my wife wants to go for a SLK55 or maybe "just" the SLK350, I might buy myself a 997 Turbo and put the Cayenne Turbo on the company.

Say no more. It sounds like a plan to me

RC: I fully understand your position,as there are priorities in life. It took me 30 years to get my first 911 - and I could have bought it before, but there were other priorities, and I do not regret my decisions. I always enjoy reading your posts, for its information and content. Cheers!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689282 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409069 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255686 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65494 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857875 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773873 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM