Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Run Flats?

I had a scare last week when I thought I had a puncture. It turned out to be a stone, but as we no longer carry spare tires I wondered how long it would be before Porsche starts offering Run Flat tires as an option?

Hopefully the next generation run flats will be lighter and more suitable to the needs of a 911.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Re: Run Flats?

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I had a scare last week when I thought I had a puncture. It turned out to be a stone, but as we no longer carry spare tires I wondered how long it would be before Porsche starts offering Run Flat tires as an option?

Hopefully the next generation run flats will be lighter and more suitable to the needs of a 911.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Run flats are too heavy...although I do like the safety feature.

I bought fix a flat and an air compressor. Did you think when you spend $100,000 you would get a spare? When you call Porsche roadside at 2 am you get an 18 year old pimple faced kid in his uncles tow truck (same kid you get when you call AAA). When your tire is destroyed and you are in East Jock Strap Ohio it may take a day or so to get a replacement in from the warehouse. If you cannot stand the "joy" of driving a sports car, get a Cobalt and with teh $85,000 you save buy a good mutual fund.

My thoughts? Go buy yourself a spare and jack and wrench. Forget the total BS about weight savings. Porsce eliminated the spare to make the car lighter for marketing purposes (makes for better stats; gives the car track credibility). Proof: anybody who wants to track their car can leave the spare at home.

Stork, above, tells it like it is. A fifteen minute problem you can solve yourself with a spare becomes an all day (all night?) ordeal without one. Without a spare I would be careful about driving car some places, sadly, I consider it an unreliable car in this respect.

Where do you store a flat rear tire? That's a pretty good sized hunk of rubber and I would figure the total weight with the wheel would be close to 60 pounds. I doubt it would fit in the trunk (but I could be wrong) and I can't imagine wrestling into the back seat area without scuffing or scratching the seat backs (mine are painted).

I just got the inflatable spare that was standard in the 996. Added a jack and a wrench. Whenever I go further than a 100 km's radius from where I live, it goes in the trunk without any problem......I hate to be driving long distances without having a spare....the only problem is where to put the flat and the rim.....no other option than the back of the car. get a large enough plastic bag not to soil your interior !!

jerrygee:
    Spare/jack/wrench fits in trunk, front or rear flat goes behind seats (in protective bag). There's a few threads on this; try a search here. If you still have questions I'll be glad to help.

Run flats are too heavy...although I do like the safety feature.

Run flats are about 5-7 lbs. heavier....I'm not sure you would ever notice the difference in everyday driving.

Have you ever taken a rear wheel/tire off your Carrera? These things are massive today. I just completed a 1700 drive through the wild west here in America and had no tire issues,--but I'm always on the watch for road debris. The issue is that there is no place to put the takeoff. I carry a radial tire repair kit with me to help me get by if needed.

(I also have total tire and wheel zero deductible replacement insurance which includes trip delay.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Have you ever taken a rear wheel/tire off your Carrera? These things are massive today. I just completed a 1700 drive through the wild west here in America and had no tire issues,--but I'm always on the watch for road debris. The issue is that there is no place to put the takeoff. I carry a radial tire repair kit with me to help me get by if needed.

(I also have total tire and wheel zero deductible replacement insurance which includes trip delay.

Dan

1700 miles through the "wild west" (SW?) USA is taking a chance w/o a spare. There are places I know where I would not want to be stuck on the side of the road for long, especially as night falls (gotta be lots of others).

IOW, the rear tire (and front) WILL fit past the driver or passenger seats and into the back. You just have to rearrange your stuff using the space left over in the trunk resulting from the spare being on the car. Then use the space above the flattened tire in the back to obscure the rear view. Then pile in passengers lap if necessary. This way you can drive to the nearest "big" city and spend a few days there waiting for the replacement tire. Don't expect the Porsche dealer to have them in stock.

Do the above any other way and you're at the mercy of a freeking tow truck operator; one whose cultural values and "suggested" solution to your problem might be verrrry different than your own. Indeed, he might come with a hook and tell you the *required* flatbed is not available.

The DIY plug kit is essential, one would use it to effect a repair if possible. The spare would only be mounted if the damage were impossible to fix with kit.

FWIW, Except for drives within in major urban areas, I would not drive a car without a spare ANYWHERE in the "wild west" or CA. Cross into Mexico? LOL, Wouldn't do that in a Porsche.

Clearly, Porsche, despite having Americans as their best customer, don't understand us. While it's not an issue in most areas of the USA you are right that there are backwoods areas that would be impossible to service in a timely basis,--much less get a 997 replacement tire within 2-3 days. The radial tire repair kit gives me a sense of some security,--at least to limp it into a larger town, if needed.

Dan

I thought the 997 came with a mousse you put on the tire to at least allow you to limp to the next city. But I agree it bothers me that you could wait for days for a tire to arrive. Hence the reaon why I would consider run flats for peace of mind. Maybe run flats and PCCB's would be a good trade off, albeit an expensive one.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    The radial tire repair kit gives me a sense of some security,--at least to limp it into a larger town, if needed.

Dan

FWIW Dan, the DIY plug kit works rather well. My wife's car has gotten more than a few flats (simple nails and screws in treads). I fix them in a pinch (usually like a Sunday night) and she promises to bring the car in ASAP for a proper patch. I finally figure out that she NEVER does that and just keeps driving with the DIY plug. Soooo, my conclusion is the plugs hold up rather well.

Radial repair kit

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I carry a radial tire repair kit with me to help me get by if needed.

Dan, before I go mad googling for radial tire repair kits would you be so kind as to explain to me, who admits to being dense, what this repair kit consists of and how it works?

Thanks!

Re: Radial repair kit

Puffy911, I'd appreciate that info too Dan.
    MMD, are you talking about the Porsche supplied kit or one you bought?
    Thanks.

Quote:
    Dasein said:
    Puffy911, I'd appreciate that info too Dan.
    MMD, are you talking about the Porsche supplied kit or one you bought?
    Thanks.

This is the one I'm talking about. Not exact photo but something like this... . get the one for steel belted radial tires at local auto supply retail outlet.

IMHO, the OEM goop is for people who can't change a tire. I believe it is better to get the nail/screw out and plug it. At least you KNOW if the job is DONE. With the goop you have to screw around and keep your fingers crossed for the first few miles down the road as you stop and inspect stop and inspect... .

/uploads/305447-au1010copy.jpg

MMD has it. These things are relatively simple.

Go into any auto parts store and ask for one. I would use a "radial tire repair kit" well before I would ever snorkle that green goop into a wheel. (Talk about cleanup later!)

Along with a radial tire repair kit I recommend the following:

(1) An awl (sometimes needed to make the hole bigger to accept the plug)
    (2) Pliers (to pull out the nail ,etc.)
    (3) Razer blade (to cut off the plug even with the surface of the tire).

I dropped off my RR wheel this morning for the tire to be replaced and it took me some time to find the plug that I put in about 3 weeks ago. My brother in law (in the auto business) got after me about not replacing the tire and just going with the plug but it worked so well and I certainly am not racing this thing on the streets.

Dan

on a trip with luggage, passenger etc there would be no room for a 305/ 19 flat tire ...i guess if i had a spare, which i dont, in lieu of my repair gear...id abandon the tire and wheel and be pissed at porsche forever...so now its just a pain in the butt, make that colossal pain if rain, snow, night, narrow road are involved... which of course they would be

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    on a trip with luggage, passenger etc there would be no room for a 305/ 19 flat tire ...i guess if i had a spare, which i dont, in lieu of my repair gear...id abandon the tire and wheel

Not necessary to abandon anything if you use duffel bags for clothes and you routinely leave a clear view out the back window for the rear view mirror to see.

When you stuff the big-assed flat back there you can pile additional stuff on top and lose your rear window view.

You also have the space in the trunk vacated by the spare. Also can make passenger hold stuff in lap.

NOT a big deal... .

If the flat tire rubber is destroyed maybe carry a small hacksaw to hack off rubber and discard along the roadside; just take wheel.

Keep in mind the wheel (without rubber) is like a big basket: hollow in the center.

An alternative, of course, is to carry an expandable spare, put it on, and hide the bad tire/wheel behind a handy tree, etc. until you can return for it.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    An alternative, of course, is to carry an expandable spare, put it on, and hide the bad tire/wheel behind a handy tree, etc. until you can return for it.

Also..., I've never checked on this but theoretically at least it seems reasonably within Porsche's pledge to help us out on the roadside, that you could call the tow truck and have them take just the tire/wheel to the Porsche dealer.

Anybody have the ambition to call Porsche Roadside assist and find out?

One more question about the radial DIY repair kit. I assume you must take the wheel off the car to do the fix, is that correct? Is there a jack part number from P that I can search for or order from my dealer?

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    One more question about the radial DIY repair kit. I assume you must take the wheel off the car to do the fix, is that correct? Is there a jack part number from P that I can search for or order from my dealer?

Here ya go:

P/N 996-362-020-02 Emergency Tire
    P/N 996-722-101-00 Wheel Insert (foam- holds tools/jack
    P/N 996-721-211-00 Scissors Jack
    P/N 999-571-074-30 Mounting Bolt (helps align wheel to hub
    P/N 999-361-521-00 Tire Boot (plastic bag for dirty tire
    P/N 996-361-411-00 Belt holds tire in trunk

jack:

I got a flat last Tuesday and called Porsche to collect the car and replace the tire. I did this thinking that it would probably only be gone for a day or two. Now I've been waiting for the tire to show up for a week without the car, because Perelli apparently didn't make enough tires! It's not the dealers fault, and I have another car, so I'm not really angry but man I miss my Porsche! The car I'm driving now is my "lightly track tuned" STi and let's just say that the commute to LA is getting much more tiring.

Oh well, this wait for the tire has highlited the need to have a patch kit always and a spare for the long journeys, cause you never know when you'll get a flat.

Justin

O.T. Dan L I think I saw you while I was leaving the 76 station on coast village road, mabey over the weekend? I waved, but I was in my subaru and you might have missed it. Anyway, Beautiful car , quite possibly the prettiest in town! See you around.

Had a puncture on my rear pirelli's last week, car was towed and P-Centre was fortunately able to fix it, but they had spares there had it been required. Different story with my VW wagon... bad puncture, so tyre had to be replaced.. took 10 days for new pirelli to arrive from overseas ?!

MMD, I called Porshe Road assist for my flat tyre and they were most helpful, a tow-truck was immediately dispatched (wait was about an hour), and car towed to Porsche centre.

Like I said, the dealer was really helpful. Apparantly there just isn't enough tires in America?

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    I got a flat last Tuesday and called Porsche to collect the car and replace the tire. I did this thinking that it would probably only be gone for a day or two. Now I've been waiting for the tire to show up for a week without the car, because Perelli apparently didn't make enough tires!

I sure hope the tire was beyond repair according USA standards.

German standards: PorscheUSA dealerships will treat your tires like you're doing 150+mph on the Autobahn on a routine daily basis. Replacement is their only ($$$) option.

Call 'em now and get them to plug and patch that sucker to serve for your occasional , short-burst forays up to 130mph and routine highway speeds of 80-90.

MMD, I tried that and the service rep said that Porsche wasn't allowed to patch the tire. But there is an end in sight! The tire is supposed to show up today, so if all goes well I should be able to collect the car this afternoon!

I guess a patch kit will become a permanent installation in my trunk, that way I can have my car while I wait for the replacement tire that i will enivetably need again.

Best
    Justin

Quote:
    1978fj40 said:
    MMD, I tried that and the service rep said that Porsche wasn't allowed to patch the tire. But there is an end in sight! The tire is supposed to show up today, so if all goes well I should be able to collect the car this afternoon!

I guess a patch kit will become a permanent installation in my trunk, that way I can have my car while I wait for the replacement tire that i will enivetably need again.

Best
    Justin

IMHO, your Porsche Rep was representing a USA dealer$hip with a German dealership policy.

It's BS that they can't repair the tire in the USA.

My dealer, quite reputable and well-known, said they would be glad to repair a tire, if it is a simple puncture that can be repaired.

Now you face the potential handling problem due to uneven wear with a new tire opposite an old. What does your dealer Rep think of that?! Doesn't sound very German "Autobahn" to me.

I'm sure of you called them they will say your tire has been thrown out already: I would have tried to at least save the tire, get it repaired at Tire Rack and toss it in the garage for possible future problem solving.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM