Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Im having buyers remorse.... and my car isnt even built

I'm am trying to save him from the emotional emptiness of meaningless hot sex with gorgeous CA girls who only want him for his money and want no further ties other than one night stands.

your welcome avi8tir

hey, its all been said before but the most important thing is not what you do, but how you feel about what you do..you need to look at not whether you want the turbo or not, but how you want to treat that money..and what you think of yourself as a benifactor of such a windfall.. will giving some money to charity improve you feelings -probably not..? This is actually a common problem amonst people who recieve large sums of money in a short space of time, if they don't feel they have 'earnt' the money then they don't feel they deserve the products it can afford them, no matter how it fits in with their current lifestyle. A possible solution would be to invest the money and to only spend the profit minus interest on the initial investment, as this way you feel that you have earned the money to spend..which indeed you have!....then (heres the renn teamer coming out in me..) by a second hand turbo and put down a deposit on a Gt2..also buy a GT3 Rs and a house in the hills..

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    avi8tir said:
    well, Im 26 years old. I have a great job and make a very nice salary for my age. college degree in business and going back to get my mba in the fall. this past june I just purchased the most expensive car Ive ever bought, a 2006 M3 with a sticker of $63k. growing up I have always been taught never to live in excess. when I signed the papers on the M3 I felt like I was going to throw up! but I paid cash for and it and it was my money, not my parents. well, in last few months my family business that my great grandfather started 80 years ago was sold. this has left me with a LARGE sum of money. of course, the first thing I did (since I love cars sooooo much) is run out and order my dream car. an april build 997tt. I did this knowing that I had alot of time to think about it and get my deposit back if I changed my mind.

4 months out now, and I am having thoughts of canceling. Its not the money at all. this wouldnt even put a dent into what I am getting. but, Im 26, it just doesnt feel right. what would you do?

I agree with most posts above but regardless of how "large" the sum you are getting, affording an expensive car in my opinion should remain directly related to your income and not to a one time inheritance. If your inheritance is big enough to allow you a change in lifestyle like a better house and a 130k car etc.., then by all means get it and enjoy it, if not I would invest the money somewhere and get a different car for now that is more suitable to your age and environment. I am not saying a 26 year old should not own a TT, I am just saying if you can afford the lifestyle that usually accompanies owning a new TT, then do it, otherwise don't.
    good luck anyway

with what you said you just described my case...a couple of months ago I was looking for a new car and in the beginning it was the new BMW 335i, then I was thinking of a CLK, then maybe a used 996, and then for reasons having to do with my business we decided to go for an A4...but I don't know it just wasn't feeling right...it felt like a big compromise...none of those cars was the one I really wanted...so I said the hell with it, I decided to keep my money and invest them back in my business and after a couple of years, hopefully, I'll be able to buy a brand new GT3 or Turbo or even a GT2, which is one of my dream cars ...also I inherited the business from my father and I was feeling just like our friend here; it just felt too soon to reward myself with such a gift..so I decided to wait

You are 26 now , but blink and you will be 50 years old. It's a well know metaphysical phenomena that the older you get the faster time passes ( you ) by ! Enjoy you Turbo and to ease any guilt, you are possibly in a position now to help those less fortunate via community volunteering or similar activities - a good New Years resolution, I say!

Re: Im having buyers remorse.... and my car isnt even built yet!

Quote:
    avi8tir said:
    well, Im 26 years old. I have a great job and make a very nice salary for my age. college degree in business and going back to get my mba in the fall. this past june I just purchased the most expensive car Ive ever bought, a 2006 M3 with a sticker of $63k. growing up I have always been taught never to live in excess. when I signed the papers on the M3 I felt like I was going to throw up! but I paid cash for and it and it was my money, not my parents. well, in last few months my family business that my great grandfather started 80 years ago was sold. this has left me with a LARGE sum of money. of course, the first thing I did (since I love cars sooooo much) is run out and order my dream car. an april build 997tt. I did this knowing that I had alot of time to think about it and get my deposit back if I changed my mind.

4 months out now, and I am having thoughts of canceling. Its not the money at all. this wouldnt even put a dent into what I am getting. but, Im 26, it just doesnt feel right. what would you do?

You are more mature that you think, most 26 years old men would only think about booze, women and fast cars, not about what is right or wrong.

I had my first Porsche at age 31, it was paid by my parents because I passed a difficult exam in university (the LAST one ) and I finished. I NEVER thought of what is right or wrong, I just was happy about the car.

IF you can afford it (meaning that at least 90% of the money you got from your grandpa is still there after paying the bill for the car ), buy it.

I see a couple of issues though:

1. Work. If your working as an employee at a company, you may attract too much attention and people may start "hating" you for driving such a car. Caution.
    Especially your boss could be a problem ("why the heck does this "kid" drive such a car and I don't?!) but even good buddies at the company.

2. Neighborhood. Make sure you live in a first class neighborhood with such a car, otherwise get a garage somewhere else and don't let neighbors see the car in front of your garage.

3. Friends. Make sure your friends would accept this purchase. Sometimes it isn't alwas good that friends know how much money you have but driving such a car would definetely "expose" you.

4. Driving skills. The 997 Turbo is a weapon. A dangerous one. You may have read in car magazines that it is easy to drive fast, you may have read the same over here on Rennteam. The truth is: to be REAL fast in this car, you have to have good to very good driving skills because once you pass a certain speed (and I'm not talking about straight line driving), the "body count" starts and I'm pretty serious about it. I already know of many crashed Turbos because owners didn't appreciate the potential and underestimated the reaction of this car in extreme driving situations. If you had the money to pay for a 997 Turbo, invest a couple of thousands more and do some driver ed events to make sure you know how to handle this car and especially to learn about your skills and your limitations.
    Compared to the 997 Turbo, the BMW M3 is a toy car.

5. Family. What does your family (parents, brothers, sisters, etc.) say? Sometimes it is good to ask for a "second" opinion, even if you don't listen to them. Just to make you understand how other people think about your decision.

Good luck and drive safely.

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    Settle down. Enjoy the dream, and the car when it arrives.

One more piece of advice. Sign up for the Porsche Driving Experience at Barber. You will come away with respect for safety, speed and a fabulous sports car.

Here-Here!

Right on all points, Wonderbar. I'll add go ahead and do the 2 day course followed directly by the Master's course, back-to-back, they can schedule it for you. It'll be one of the best things you could do for yourself and your future car.

Jim

Do what your conscience tells you to do + RC's reply is wise to follow. Don't do something that is not in agreement with yourself. You'll end up sorry. Maybe this is not yet the right time for you to make the jump to a TT ! I have a Cayman S and it is now accepted by family and friends. The next move (TT or GT3) will be easier since they are used to see me drive in a Porsche.
    Good luck and happy new year.

Quote:
    RC said:

3. Friends. Make sure your friends would accept this purchase. Sometimes it isn't alwas good that friends know how much money you have but driving such a car would definetely "expose" you.

I dont quite get this one about friends , ""accept"" , if they dont then they were simply not your friend in the first place..Never understood this jelousy bullsh*t thing..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I dont quite get this one about friends , ""accept"" , if they dont then they were simply not your friend in the first place..Never understood this jelousy bullsh*t thing..

Throt, RC -

this doesn't apply in the U.S., in my opinion. Most people's behavior would be more like, "Cool, you got a Porsche! How's it drive?" The worst it could be would be more like gentle ribbing, like, "spending your inheritance money, I see... couldn't buy a Porsche on your own, huh? "

You are right to feel guilty.

Read up the the seven deadly sins, especially avarice. You will get a really warm feeling inside if you send the money to me instead (or just send the car). Such an altruistic jesture will bring you such a great sense of joy well beyond anything you have ever experienced before.

It is difficult for anyone to offer an opinion as to whether or not it is proper to purchase a vehicle like a 997 TT, 599, Bentley, etc.
    I suspect that most inherited wealth has some expectations on behalf of the estate, i.e. your grandfather. You state that you have been raised never to live in excess, but what does that mean ?? Hopefully your grandfather in a past conversation indicated to you whether or not a 997 TT would be an excess to him.
    My personal feelings would be to respect the "strings" attached to the inheritance. Any income earned personally would be utilized on my own terms.
    Good luck with your deliberations, you will know what your right answer is. Your own achievements and "tombstone test" will be your own.
    To all members of the forum, have a happy and healthy New Year with much good fortune to come!!
    Regards,
    Arnie

Talking about guilt, I'm not sure if I should feel more guilty spending money on the car or spending so much time online.

Happy New Year everyone!

x10 Happy New Year Bud

Listen to RC.
    If it doesn't feel right, it's not. Better off laying low and investing the money, it will always be an issue for bosses and coworkers.
    C

Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:
    Listen to RC.
    If it doesn't feel right, it's not. Better off laying low and investing the money, it will always be an issue for bosses and coworkers.
    C

RC definitely has a point about money management. Other things aren't as important, but how you handle the money truly is. The car's price equals a nice appartment here and I bought that instead - since that formed a significant part of my income I would probably regret buying it until I would be able to afford at least 10 cars with my income, like RC has said.
    However, if money isn't an issue, go for it. As long as you treat other people right and don't act like an ass towards them, what they think of you is irrelevant. Jealousy will always be there, whether you're 26 or 46, so buy one now and enjoy this marvelous car while you can.

(And the driving skill issue which RC has brought up might also be worth looking into if you want to live to be 46 ).

What good is having all that money if you don't use some of it to buy stuff you enjoy? Live life to the fullist, if that's what you want get it now because you never know what the future holds. (wealth, health, anything, everything can change) Have some FUN!

As for anyone else that thinks badly of you because you're too young for an expensive sports car - F um that's their own hang up, your true friends will be happy for you. I used to waste so much time debating what other people might think (something I learned unfortunately from my parents)It just gets too tiresome because no matter what you do you can't make everyone happy. Then I realized it's my life and as long as I'm not hurting anyone else I'm going to enjoy it & from there I've been much happier all around. Of course I do have to save quite a bit of money each year towards retirement/kids college/kids inheritance, etc. etc just to keep the part of me that does still feel slightly guilty when I buy an expensive car satisfied lol! I think a lot of it depends on how much we are talkin here. Was what was left to you 10 times the cost of the car? 20 times? 100? more? .. As for the boss - how you spend your money whether it be on expensive cloths, expensive vacations, expensive homes or expensive cars really shouldn't matter as long as you're doing your job well. Believe me if you spend a lot of time worrying about what someone else might think of you because of an expensive car there will always be someone to worry about, today it's the boss and tomorrow it's whomever. They're not the ones offering to pay for a less expensive car for you so do what makes YOU happy in life. In some ways/areas of business an expensive car may even HELP you become more successful.

ps: Get a CGT too or a nice new Ferrari and keep that one to yourself.

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    I'm am trying to save him from the emotional emptiness of meaningless hot sex with gorgeous CA girls who only want him for his money and want no further ties other than one night stands.

your welcome avi8tir

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779807 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442363 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263170 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261476 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85686 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5843 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881190 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817981 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM