Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RATS ate the engine cables !!!

God what a week , i accidentally found out that rats ate the engine cords

Fortunately, the damage is not drastic, not expensive,BUT thats just luck

What precautions should one take, in order to prevent rats to come close to the cars cables?

Re: RATS ate the engine cables !!!

This happened to me around 15 years ago when mice chewed on battery cables, spark plug wires, radiator hoses and brake lines. Since then I use a mice/rat poison in all of my garages. I have seen dead mice but no chewing on my rubber parts..

You could invest in this "Porsche Tequipment"

CLICK HERE

F*ck me!!! Rats ATE your engine cables?!! Sh*t!!!!

In our underground car park, we have small rat poison boxes. They're a MUST HAVE if there is open access to your parking area through pedestrian alleyways, paths, ventilation grills, drain covers etc etc

Sounds like a title from a bad horror movie

Sorry to hear what happened to you, but at least it can be fixed.

I've seen it happen before but never with a Porsche - I guess Greek rats have better taste!

I've seen it on old Shaguars where the taste of the "Prince of Darkness" cables was clearly (or should that be murkily?) appealing. On the other hand it maybe old owners coming back reincarnated as rats to take revenge on poor old Lucas, in the case of Shaguars.

But Porsche? Maybe it's former "EVO-Prezza" onwers who've come back to get revenge on your poor old 997.

Any which way it would make a great/very bad horror movie.

Re: Sounds like a title from a bad horror movie

wtf!!!!

Can you post some pics?, why the heck rats are attracted by CABLES????????????

It happen once on my sister-in-law S-500. They ate all the cable. Luckly, the dealer repair all under warrenty. Wonder did Porsche paid for the damage????

I have done a lot of climbing in and around the Bugaboos in Canada, and in order to protect the cables from porcupines and other nasty gremlins you surround the car with chicken wire. Apparently, at least there, the rodents etc. are after the salt that comes off the roads and sticks to the cables which they can then chew/eat off. At home I would still go with the poison though! Cheers, happy new years all.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    [...] I guess Greek rats have better taste!

That being said by "Le Chef"!

Are you sure it has been the rats? In several countries it's rather a matter of martens that chew on engine's cables. There are several ways to get rid of them, some more and some less effective.

mikekenzo what is checken wire?

I can tell you that Greek rats can be a serious pain in the a##!!! there's one in our sewage system for a couple of years now and that bastard just keeps on coming and going...we've tried everything but it's pointless...

chicken wire is a wire mesh that is typically, or historically i guess, used to enclose a wood framed chicken coop. It is basically a thin gauge wire in a criss-cross pattern that comes in rolls.

Bugaboo Provincial Park is a remote area. Persons intending to visit the Bugaboos must realize there are no supplies, equipment or transportation arrangements of any kind available in the park. Visitors must be prepared for outdoor living in a mountain environment. Hut accommodation is not available in winter because of avalanche dangers.
    It is recommended that visitors protect their vehicle perimeter with a portable chicken wire fence to deter porcupines and other small animals from chewing on wires and tires.
    National Topographic Series Maps 82K/10 (Howser Creek) and 82K/15 (Bugaboo Creek) are at a scale of 1:50,000 and cover all but the western limits of the park. These maps are available from Government Agents and most map retailers in British Columbia.
    'The Bugaboos - One of the World's Great Alpine Rockclimbing Centres' is a comprehensive and accurate guidebook to climbing and mountaineering in Bugaboo Park. It is written by Chris Atkinson and Marc Piche and published by Elaho Publishing (ISBN # 0-9733035-1-4).

Funny that you brought it up, happened on my old SL55 and the CEL came on and when I sent it in to the dealer - he immediately showed me where rats were starting to make a nest in my engine bay

New warning light on all 997's

Not just boring old "CEL" anymore but now you need to have "CRL" or Check Rodent Light. A little jingle of the Stranglers "Rattus Norveticus" plays when you get the warning.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    God what a week , i accidentally found out that rats ate the engine cords

Fortunately, the damage is not drastic, not expensive,BUT thats just luck

What precautions should one take, in order to prevent rats to come close to the cars cables?

What I do is place moth balls made with Napthalene at the corners of the garage entrances -- mice can get in a hole 12MM or smaller. Obviously have nothing that can serve as food for them, garbage, dog food, bird seed, etc., inside.

Inside the garage I have series of glue traps along the wall so if they walk through, they're stuck. Note that the glue traps are a cruel way to die, but compared to baiting traps, which will attract even more of them, and having them chew on the car, well, sorry rodent, I just can't have you chewing on the car.

The trouble with traps and poison is that they must be (or are) baited, and that creates a food supply, and they'll seek out the food supply.

If the car is outside, I doubt there's much you can do. Some people put laundry dryer sheets in the car, trunk, inside, etc., because rodents are said to hate the smell (so do I) but it's not as bad as moth balls for people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moth_balls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousetrap

HTH,

Jim

I'll tell you a funny story:
    When I lived in Israel, there was a car made by some company in Israel, it was the biggest piece of S... you've ever seen, but the chassis was all made in fiberglass.
    Well, I was in Jerusalem one day taking some friends to see the city and in one of the tourist places where they have camel rides a guy parked one of these cars and just next to it was a camel with it's handler waiting for tourist, the car was there for quite a while because it seems that the heat from the sun and fiberglass emit some kind of odor that it is very enticing to camels because........
    As you guessed the camel ate half of the car.
    Happy New Year to All.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    mikekenzo what is checken wire?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_wire

The best way to prevent it is to dirve the car daily. I was at my dealer last week and there was a CGT that was in for the same issue.....rats had built a nest up underneath the car....owner was driving out of town and smelt something burning....and that's how he discovered the problem. It was about 5 grand worth of repairs. Dealer says they get about three garage queens a year with same problem.

Squirrels can also wreak havoc on the interior of a car. My 75 targa had it's interior nested in by a squirrel and it tore up the dash and carpet trying to create a loving environment for it's offspring. The little B'tards couldn't remember how they got in and chewed all the door seals up trying to exit. Well about an hour after I discovered the mess..out came the .22...down went about a dozen of them.

Rats? Lemme tell about rats. My wife parked on street in an exclusive city neighborhood, next to small park, for TWO days. Then she starts car and drives off. Get's a few miles and comething's wrong. Goes to gas station and THE WHOLE ENGINE COMPARTMENT IS LOADED WITH RAT NEST MATERIALS! Little freeks can sure work fast! TWO DAYS! Damage to car was weatherstrip and engine comparment trim. No wires... .

damn george i am so sorry.........

have a prosperous new year....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408802 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234824 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857664 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773545 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM