Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Winter Pics (dirty cars)

I believe that driving a 911 in salt/ice/slush isn't much different than driving a Hummer on the freeway...wrong tool for the job. I'd have a 4wd truck if I lived in snowy climbs....

Of course I live in Florida, so it's year-round fun!!! (I still keep my car clean, I don't enjoy seeing it trashed any more than I would enjoy seeing my house trashed, or get giddy about spilling a plate of spaghetti down my shirt).

Quote:
    beltar said:
    mine ...

believe it or not... it was a drive of merely 1 to 1.1/2 hours..
    It left the garage glimming like a new one!
    When you want to keep your car clean(like me) in belgium, you have a lot of work to do!

Quote:
    beltar said:
    mine ...

Whooooow that's nice!!!

Really!!

Leve de propere Belgische wegen

911s are everyday cars, they are tools for every street type and have been used in Rallys even as far back as nearly 30 years ago. They should be driven everyday and everywhere and not pampered like special weekend cars. That's my opinion, now if you live in a beautiful sunny part of the country and can pamper your car to be only a sunny weekend no rain specimen then power to you. I don't think these cars were designed as such, perhaps their exorbitant price and overblown option pricing scheme may cause one to be very careful with their investment, well that's a natural instinctual response. But to start treating 911s as though they were Carrera GT or Enzo's is laughable...
    I think Beltar's car looks like it's in its element and as soon as they lay salt and snow on the ground, i will be sending in my winter pics.

Quote:
    beltar said:
    mine ...

Yes! Niiiice! Reminds me of the pics taken during Porsche's grueling new model test drives from Northern Canada to the Equator (?).

All you have to do is be a bit careful when washing the grit off... .

When I was in college (upstate NY: bad winters) I would heavily wax my BMW in autumn and NOT wipe the wax off. Then I'd leave the car unwashed all winter; looked like yours! In Spring careful wash and looked great once again.

My car has had a Protech-treatment when it was new , and i'm till today veeeeery pleased with the result.
    I spray their produvt on my sportdesign rims; high pressure treatment, (never had to use a cloth or spunge to rinse my rims) ready and shining again.
    Have to admit the is being washed weekly and has never seen a carwash until now.
    The shine of the paint is still very deep and beautiful as the first day!

Here's mine from my trip to Devon where some of my family live. Roads tend to get muddy down there. Also got bored when stuck in a traffic jam and had a fun blast across Salisbury Plain.

PS Sorry for the bad photo - I will try and do a better vn.

Just had it cleaned (paid someone else to do it for a change as that jetwash you can see was bust).

Have a great Hogmanay (New Year), guys and gals.

What a picture! Winter tires I suppose? I dont really need them were I live.

Looks superb like that Son of Stig!!!

Thanks

beltar!

by any chance can you upload your second pic in high resolution!???!

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Looks superb like that Son of Stig!!!

Thanks

Thanks. Not as good as Beltar's (or the anonymous British cabrio - so dirty it is almost gross) - but I tried. Now putting her into cold storage until I go skiing in Feb/March - have winter tyres, so let's see how a 2S performs in snowy conditions... can't wait to play in an empty car park.

Gnil, will you be home in Switzerland late Feb/Early March? We could hook up for a beer and perhaps you could even give me some tips on driving rear engined cars in the snow

Cheers,

SoS.

Quote:
    SonOfStig said:
    Gnil, will you be home in Switzerland late Feb/Early March? We could hook up for a beer and perhaps you could even give me some tips on driving rear engined cars in the snow

Cheers,

SoS.

I'm sure your dad could help you on that one

Quote:
    catdog said:
    911s are everyday cars, they are tools for every street type and have been used in Rallys even as far back as nearly 30 years ago. They should be driven everyday and everywhere and not pampered like special weekend cars. That's my opinion, now if you live in a beautiful sunny part of the country and can pamper your car to be only a sunny weekend no rain specimen then power to you. I don't think these cars were designed as such, perhaps their exorbitant price and overblown option pricing scheme may cause one to be very careful with their investment, well that's a natural instinctual response. But to start treating 911s as though they were Carrera GT or Enzo's is laughable...
    I think Beltar's car looks like it's in its element and as soon as they lay salt and snow on the ground, i will be sending in my winter pics.

No matter what you wish to do with your car, you're missing the point. People get too damn romantic about this stuff, "cars should be driven, blah blah blah". The car doesn't care a whit, nor is there any moral obligation to use a leather-lined cabin as a glorified winter mud room.

I don't care what anybody does with their cars. Drive it, don't drive it. Make it into a coffee table if you want. I just don't understand the obsession with trying to use any "tool" with some sort of neurotic joyous disdain...

My grandfather was an engineer and machinist (inventor of the pancake valve), and I grew up in machine shops and manufacturing plants. Very dirty, very greasy and oily environments. It was the nature of the process. But at the end of each day, a half-hour was dedicated to workspace cleanup and tool cleaning, such that each day began like the day before, much like an operating room.

You didn't use your precision instruments to bang a nail into the wall. You didn't use your precision cutting tools to scrape grease and metal-shaving gumballs off the concrete floor. You respected your precision instruments for what they were, and used them with care and appreciated their lofty expense. Properly taken care of, those tools lasted for generations. If you needed to bang a nail, or scrape the floor, there were crap tools in a bin across the shop for those purposes..

I see my 911 as a precision tool. Not a throwaway Chinese-made Harbor-Freight hunk of junk.

Besides, why is this line of logic always used for cars, but not clothes?? Some find it somehow romantic and heartwarming to use a 911 for mud-trucking, but those same people would find it quite moronic to shovel your driveway in a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo shoes..

I love my 911, but I don't "have to" take it everywhere I go like Paris Hilton was with her Chihuahua.

There's a segment of car owners who look down at people who covet and clean and drive their cars only on rare occassion, just because they're in denial about their own laziness and sloppiness and it makes them feel good to sneer at their alter-egos...

Likewise for those on the other side who are obsessive-compulsive disorder poster-children, who sneer at folks happily toodling around in their high-priced sportscars using them like a roll of toilet paper, like money grows on trees.

Me??? I say get over it, and do what you wish with your car. My earlier post was just my opinion. But you won't catch me saying "Porsche's are MEANT for this, or MEANT for that...". The only thing they are MEANT for is making the owner happy.

I applaud anyone who finds enjoyment in using their 911 every day, in all conditions. I don't criticize that at all. Where I draw my line is abuse, neglect, and overall lazy and wasteful behavior. That's kind of where I was coming from. If you love your car, that's all that matters. I just question why the dirtier and more disgusting the car gets, how anyone would consider that "better". Yeah, it shows that you've been using the car..... But why the celebration? Someday down the road when your car looks like a combination of lace and swiss cheese, and you watch the forklift toss it into the crusher, will you have an orgasm?

I view my truck as my "crap tool", and my 911 is my precision tool. Nothing wrong with that, I don't think that runs counter to the "design" whatsoever...

(Sorry so long, I got carried away!!! )

Hey 69bossnine, I agree with every word you wrote (sorry if that is boring!) but how come you sound so cranky today?

Relax man, light a cigar, pour yourself a nice dram of finest twice-distilled Scotch whisky and enjoy Hogmanay in good health! Happy New Year!

BTW, your expert guidance on car-washing has been fantastic. My sparkling 911 thanks you!

I don't know, I don't think I got enough sleep last night, and my neck is a bit tight. I'd have the drink, but I've gotta drive 7 hours to Charlotte for my friend's 40th b'day party, at which point I'll have plenty...

P.S. I'm driving my C2S, if anyone cares...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I don't know, I don't think I got enough sleep last night, and my neck is a bit tight. I'd have the drink, but I've gotta drive 7 hours to Charlotte for my friend's 40th b'day party, at which point I'll have plenty...

P.S. I'm driving my C2S, if anyone cares...

Don't hesitate to take a pic when you arrive

Enjoy your drive!

Great Photos! I'd rather use my Pcar and have it rot, than not use it and WATCH it rot. (Although "rot" is not exactly the word that I have in mind).

Quote:
    SonOfStig said:
    [Gnil, will you be home in Switzerland late Feb/Early March? We could hook up for a beer and perhaps you could even give me some tips on driving rear engined cars in the snow

Cheers,

SoS.

It would be great to meet . To which resort are you going to ?
    My kids have holidays end of feb, we have not decided yet what we will do.
    And my experience with rear engined car on snow is only with AWD but I ' ll tell you about all the basics
    PM me when you come around

Have not taken the 997S to Colorado skiing yet but here is the 996 a couple of years ago (in the Keystone parking lot). Two days after I made it back to KS they got 7 feet of snow! Yes, those are Z - rated Michelin Pilots!

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    This is what my P-car looks like this winter, (the official P-car cover is on its way for my b-day):

Lol, that looks like a diecast model!
    -Joost-

Joost, I assure you that is a real car!

A 'REAL LITTLE' car. My kids got me the same one for X-mas. I bet it's plate is S CH 2004.
    ROTFLMAO

Love this thread! Fantastic!!!

Leawood: I wonder if I should be getting a royalty if some model manufacturer is using my car as a template. :-) Do I need to post another picture of it to prove it?

It was my wife who told me to blur out the background becuase a few months ago a thread was floating around of peoples garages, and our garage is NO showroom. Its full of tools and storage!

All I can say is great thread. Very good banter. I do like the pics and hope to add some soon.

Cheers,

Kenny S

If it's worth anything, I am an engineer and i appreciate fine instruments. I should probably clean and take better care of my car, i just can't spare the time it takes to clean the car to my standards... so i have taken this fatalistic attitude. And yes i should be less messy, how did you know (seriously). All resolutions for 2007! Cheers

I went this afternoon to the nearby mountains, as there was a nice snow storm, hoped to take some nice winter shots. It took me about an hour to get there, 30 min driving in VERY bad conditions, not fun, so much concentration just to keep the car on the road...
    Once there I realised my camera had a flat battery and I had forgotten my portable phone...

I hope next time I' ll get to take some pics

BTW, cars don't rot from sitting in general. They rot from sitting in bad/unwise storage. Humidity, stale uncirculated air, and extreme temperature swings are long-term killers. In proper climate-controlled storage, things last as-new for a loooooonnnng time (decades) with very limited upkeep..

I posted this a while ago:

Quote:
    Porker said:
    As most of us agree, our cars should be used all year.
    And some of us agree they look stunning when dirty...

Here is our official "winter pic" thread!

I will start with my non-Porker, it is the dirtyness that counts

There goes my car

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761321 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434727 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260161 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257319 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80833 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5314 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871599 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806855 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM