Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

iPod Update Please

I know there have been a lot of posts out there around iPod integration. Things change rapidly so I'm wondering if anyone has seen or, better yet, installed any iPod interfaces that work well with the NAV and Sound unit in the 997tt. I'm hoping there is something out there as 6 discs are just boring and high maintenance.

Re: iPod Update Please

This seemed really expensive when I first fount it, but I'm seriously considering it now.

http://www.al-eds.com/?http://www.al-eds...tem=IPODPORSCHE

My dealer sent me a message telling me that now they can install the Ipod if I want. The only info I have yet, is that it is a cube that gets installed near the CD changer and then works with the PCM. I do not know who makes it.

I asked my dealer and he didn't know anything about dealer installed interfaces. Could you please ask your dealer about specifications? Manufacturer, cost, reliability, combatability, etc..

Has anyone installed any of the iPod kits available yet?

I had the Nav-TV unit installed at Benchmark in Bellevue in November 2006. The unit provides great sound but the time to go from artist to artist especially from A to letters beyond B takes a while. The accessibility from the original iPod is far superior.
    The Nav-TV unit is worth having as compared to a CD changer and will be my alternative until a better control interface is available. Perhaps the now available Dension unit will be the upgrade of choice??? Concepts on Wheels in Toronto called to say that the Dension unit is now available ... I will wait to read installed reviews before purchasing.
    The install by Benchmark is excellent, but the unit needs improvement.

I'm still waiting for Eric from bumperplugs to release the Dension units. I chose to go with that one over the navtv unit.

AE, is your Turbo the GT silver one with all the carbon fiber trim? I saw it when visiting Benchmark Motoring a couple months ago.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I'm still waiting for Eric from bumperplugs to release the Dension units. I chose to go with that one over the navtv unit.

AE, is your Turbo the GT silver one with all the carbon fiber trim? I saw it when visiting Benchmark Motoring a couple months ago.

Well I will let my esteemed neighbors do this first and if all is well I will also put a Denison in as well. So Atomic i guess we wait on your Cargraphic and Denison Install.

....here you can see the dension gateway 500 in a 997...scroll a little down...

http://www.pff-online.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=2651553

Very funny, Rich, first Larry, now you...am I going to end up being a guinea pig for everybody now?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Very funny, Rich, first Larry, now you...am I going to end up being a guinea pig for everybody now?

Somebody has to break trail. It may as well be you, since you've done such a good job so far. (Wheels, interior pieces, steering wheel, radar detector, etc.) Keep it up you're saving me money, big time. THANKS!

'AE, is your Turbo the GT silver one with all the carbon fiber trim? I saw it when visiting Benchmark Motoring a couple months ago.'
    Hello Jason,
    Yes, that was my GT Silver / black leather with extensive CF and many leather options.
    My local dealer installed the CF illuminated door sills to complete the interior. I am very happy with the whole package.
    I have to thank all of the great people on this board for all of their posts and sharing of information. My vehicle would have been less expensive but not nearly as complete. Even after 4 months and 6,000 miles, I still get a big smile on my face when driving this awesome machine !!!

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Somebody has to break trail. It may as well be you, since you've done such a good job so far. (Wheels, interior pieces, steering wheel, radar detector, etc.) Keep it up you're saving me money, big time. THANKS!

Larry and Jason and I live about 5 miles from each other. So we each get to be guinea pigs on something. I took the headlights out first here and had benchmark do the first work on a 997 Turbo. But Jason has a new Cargraphic exhaust and I want to wait to hear it before i get one. My Turbo is getting a TechArt kit this week so I guess i am the guinea pig on that one. Anyway it is great to have local buddies to chat and try new things. Thanks guys!

Rich

We both get to torture Larry until his car arrives.

You'll have to let us know how things go once you get the Techart kit put on. Any issues with scraping the front end, etc. I'll try to get the cargraphic exhaust system put on soon. Still waiting to hear from RSS about when they'll send the tips to me. I was hoping to get everything done all at once.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    We both get to torture Larry until his car arrives.

You'll have to let us know how things go once you get the Techart kit put on. Any issues with scraping the front end, etc. I'll try to get the cargraphic exhaust system put on soon. Still waiting to hear from RSS about when they'll send the tips to me. I was hoping to get everything done all at once.

Jason, I got sick of waiting for the Cargraphic tips and for the OEM chrome tips, so I ended up putting the Fabspeed tips on the Cargraphic exhaust and they look great . They are also less costly than the Cargraphic tips which still are not available.

aah986,

I'm in no hurry to get the tips really. I probably will just go ahead and have the cargraphic exhaust put on next week when I get back to Seattle. Just have to talk to the dealership about whether they can do it or not. Has the sound for you changed in any way since you first got them installed?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    aah986,

I'm in no hurry to get the tips really. I probably will just go ahead and have the cargraphic exhaust put on next week when I get back to Seattle. Just have to talk to the dealership about whether they can do it or not. Has the sound for you changed in any way since you first got them installed?

Yes, I think the sound got even meaner now after 1000 miles since install and I love it even more, very intimidating especially on the highway while passing with WOT. I recently posted a couple of short clips but they don't do it justice, you have to hear it in person. Also, I could swear that the sound also changed after I placed the quad tips a couple of days ago vs the old ovals, maybe it is me imagining things...

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    aah986,

Yes, I think the sound got even meaner now after 1000 miles since install and I love it even more, very intimidating especially on the highway while passing with WOT. I recently posted a couple of short clips but they don't do it justice, you have to hear it in person. Also, I could swear that the sound also changed after I placed the quad tips a couple of days ago vs the old ovals, maybe it is me imagining things...

With all this discussion about exhaust tips I'm hoping one of you pidgeons... er guys will try out a ceramic coating on your tips, and report the results. I believe a coating would preclude staining and discoloration from the extremely hot exhaust gases generated by the turbos. If you don't know where to go, Google "protective automobile coatings". My M3 has a Dinan muffler with black ceramic coated tips, which have been very successful in retaining their original finish over about 30K miles of use.

I received a set of ceramic coated black twin tips in the mail today, but received ones for non-turbo instead of turbo, so they don't actually fit......really a nice product. Factory chrome tips are already stained after 700 miles. Ceramic tips for the TT are on back-order.

Are these all made by the same company and shipped out to all the tuners?

I'm considering having the cargraphic tips ceramic coated. I like the looks of dual tips as opposed to the single "oval" turbo tips. And the reason why I didn't go with the Fabspeed tips is I didn't liike the way they looked from an asthetic standpoint.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I'm considering having the cargraphic tips ceramic coated. I like the looks of dual tips as opposed to the single "oval" turbo tips. And the reason why I didn't go with the Fabspeed tips is I didn't liike the way they looked from an asthetic standpoint.

I know that this is a matter of personal taste/preference but the cargraphic tips with the rolled ends look extremely similar to the FS except that they are slightly oval and the connection between the tips is black instead of polished. the non-rolled round tips lacked significant presence in my opinion for a car like the TT, so I passed. According to RSS today, the CG tips had some kind of problem during production which was pushed another couple of weeks, so you should be getting yours after that.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777847 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441947 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261119 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85385 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5652 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880800 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816311 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM