Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 TT Facelift

That puts us in 2012 for the 998TT

Quote:
    rhino said:

What's wrong about that?

conclusion..

just go buy one and enjoy!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

What's wrong about that?

I'll have 120,000 miles on my C2Scab by that time

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    conclusion..

Luckily I still have my deposit on a TT build for 07

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    conclusion..

That's always the best thing to do, otherwise you just get too old without having the fun.

OTOH is Porsche's recent model philosophy a little bit too much for me. Thinking back of the times of the 964, the only thing that changed during its model lifetime were the rear mirrors and the design of the rims. Both easily retrofitable. Nowadays, we see a quite prominent facelift together with substantial changes like DI-engine, new AWD...

Well, I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't buy a TT cab without the facelift if it happens 14 months later...

The changes are minor except for the rumored front lip, there is no reason for P to wait on the TT, they won't touch the engine unlike on the 997 non TT. Actually what I really hope is that they skip the powerkit release and badge the facelifted Turbo "S" right away, with PCCB standard. Hopefully one of these puppies has my name on it

Will there be a power increase with the facelifted TT?

Quote:
    yarub1 said:

You gotta love the way those questions keep on coming, pissing owners of 997TT even more.

What about a facelifted 997turbo in six months with 550bhp and 5% cheaper than the actual one.

What do you say darius? You likey ?

Remember the old days when cars changed almost every model year...

Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:

You gotta love the way those questions keep on coming, pissing owners of 997TT even more.

What about a facelifted 997turbo in six months with 550bhp and 5% cheaper than the actual one.

Wow,great Christmas news!!

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:

Soooooo, is that a yes or a no?

Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:

Soooooo, is that a yes or a no?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    The 996 was introduced as MY99 and got a face lift MY02. On the same calendar the 997 was introduced as MY05 and will have a face lift as MY 08 (available sep 07. The Turbo should also inherent the changes as a matter of course, it all makes sense.

Besides, i do not understand the fuss about this. Many other marques introduce changes every single year, mostly minor as these ones.

I still doubt that the facelift happens in Sept. 2007 (MY 2008) but anyway: the most "p.ss.d" owners will be 997 Carrera/Targa owners. Why? Because their cars get substantial more power and new engines (direct fuel injection is in the word) too. Not the same with the Turbo, power stays the same but powerkit will be introduced and of course there will be the GT2 too.

So no matter how we look at the facelift, Turbo owners shouldn't worry too much since the technology, with exception of PDK maybe, stays practically the same.

RC - saying that I am still waiting 3 more weeks for my Targa to arrive.

And now everyone started talking about new engines, awd from turbo, ... god damn it. I did not get the car yet, and it ALREADY FEELS OLD. Thanks guys

So what engine changes are going into the NA 997's?

Hopefully they would go to a true dry sump engine, but I doubt it.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I still doubt that the facelift happens in Sept. 2007 (MY 2008) but anyway: the most "p.ss.d" owners will be 997 Carrera/Targa owners. Why? Because their cars get substantial more power and new engines (direct fuel injection is in the word) too. Not the same with the Turbo, power stays the same but powerkit will be introduced and of course there will be the GT2 too.

So no matter how we look at the facelift, Turbo owners shouldn't worry too much since the technology, with exception of PDK maybe, stays practically the same.

From recent reports the 997 facelift looks to be happening summer 2008. So given all Carrera models will get Direct Injection (DFI) engines which yield more BHP and 10% better fuel economy, why wouldn't Porsche introduce this to the Turbo also?

There's no way I would personally fork-out that much money for a new Turbo with the knowledge that this significant leap forward (Direct Injection and PDK) is within touching distance of being introduced.

10% better fuel economy alone is worth waiting for IMHO. Especially here in the UK where fuel is so crazy expensive (eg. I spend Pounds250 ($500) in petrol for every 1000 miles I do in my C2S) and the Politicians bring in more and more taxes on thirsty cars. If Porsche CAN make a car more fuel efficient (assuming nothing is sacrificed in terms of buyers requirements) then they SHOULD!

If they don't introduce this technology in the facelift 997 then I assume we will all have to wait for the 998 Turbo released around 2012. This seems like a crazy long time to me given the technology seems already to be available in the new Cayenne...

I guess if you can wait 2 years for a pdk turbo then wait...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

From recent reports the 997 facelift looks to be happening summer 2008. So given all Carrera models will get Direct Injection (DFI) engines which yield more BHP and 10% better fuel economy, why wouldn't Porsche introduce this to the Turbo also?

There's no way I would personally fork-out that much money for a new Turbo with the knowledge that this significant leap forward (Direct Injection and PDK) is within touching distance of being introduced.

10% better fuel economy alone is worth waiting for IMHO. Especially here in the UK where fuel is so crazy expensive (eg. I spend Pounds250 ($500) in petrol for every 1000 miles I do in my C2S) and the Politicians bring in more and more taxes on thirsty cars. If Porsche CAN make a car more fuel efficient (assuming nothing is sacrificed in terms of buyers requirements) then they SHOULD!

If they don't introduce this technology in the facelift 997 then I assume we will all have to wait for the 998 Turbo released around 2012. This seems like a crazy long time to me given the technology seems already to be available in the new Cayenne...

The way I view ANY 911Turbo is:
    1. It is meant to be driven WITHOUT regard to fuel "economy." Any car that is engineered to make 600+ horsepower (even if marketing trumps engineering and limits its output to alot less) and can run the 1/4 in 11 seconds or less isn't manufactured, purchased and driven with fuel consumption as a serious consideration. If miles-per-gallon (or liters-per-km) are important, then one might as well get a VW Jetta 4-banger.
    2. DI's impact on the Turbo's power is relatively marginal. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm denigrating the concept, but in terms of power gains, a similar increase on a Turbo could be had simply by tweaking the boost by 0.1-0.2BAR.

In other words, like all else in technological improvements to the combustion engine and its application to the automobile, I endorse the concept of DI. I just wouldn't rely alone on its availability or not to determine a purchase decision of a 911Turbo, especially when performance considerations are prime-which they usually are to 911Turbo buyers.

PDK (or even DSG) is another matter, unless you (like alot of us here) enjoy the involvement of using a manual with a stick (not that this is better or worse than choosing an automated tranny, just personal preference). For those automated tranny options, perhaps an extra year or two will be worth the wait....

is the turbo getting DI?

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    is the turbo getting DI?

Yes, in 18 months ... summer of 2008.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    The way I view ANY 911Turbo is:
    1. It is meant to be driven WITHOUT regard to fuel "economy." Any car that is engineered to make 600+ horsepower (even if marketing trumps engineering and limits its output to alot less) and can run the 1/4 in 11 seconds or less isn't manufactured, purchased and driven with fuel consumption as a serious consideration. If miles-per-gallon (or liters-per-km) are important, then one might as well get a VW Jetta 4-banger.
    2. DI's impact on the Turbo's power is relatively marginal. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm denigrating the concept, but in terms of power gains, a similar increase on a Turbo could be had simply by tweaking the boost by 0.1-0.2BAR.

In other words, like all else in technological improvements to the combustion engine and its application to the automobile, I endorse the concept of DI. I just wouldn't rely alone on its availability or not to determine a purchase decision of a 911Turbo, especially when performance considerations are prime-which they usually are to 911Turbo buyers.

PDK (or even DSG) is another matter, unless you (like alot of us here) enjoy the involvement of using a manual with a stick (not that this is better or worse than choosing an automated tranny, just personal preference). For those automated tranny options, perhaps an extra year or two will be worth the wait....

Part of the 911 Turbo 'package' is that it is the best all-rounder compared to say an F430 or a Gallardo. It has back seats, is a great GT car, a great track car, is great in the wet, a brilliant daily-driver, good build quality, etc etc. However, if power was all I was interested in then no way would I ever consider the Turbo, a car that currently can be out-dragged by a Corvette costing a fraction of the price.

For me at least, having an efficient engine is part of what makes the 911 an awesome every day car. If performance was being lost due to greater fuel economy then that's a different matter, but as far as I can see it's a win-win with the introduction of DFI. Germans are globally renowned for their quest for greater efficiency, so I am really hoping marketing doesn't win out over engineering when the 997 facelift is introduced. The latest technology should be showcased in the Turbo; it's supposed to be the flagship model after all...

Bottom line: I am trying to find reasons to migrate from a Carrera S to a Turbo. Right now there just aren't enough plus-points to justify the $$$ I'd need to fork out. I want to spend the money, but I don't want to spend it on a current Turbo. Currently a move to a GT3 or RS would be a more attractive choice, despite the lost in practicality. I am hoping with the introduction of the facelift the list of benefits will be more significant. However, realistically I think I am going to have to wait 'till 2012 for the 998 Turbo before I get my wish-list (500bhp, PDK, DFI, PSE, no dashboard 'wart', and new GT2 styling - apart from the large rear wing that is).

997TT facelift ?

Quote:
    hellgelb said:
    997TT facelift ?

Closer!

But I'd personally prefer more towards the new GT2 front-end (and wheels):

Plus the Carrera facelift rear-end features with dual-pipe PSE please

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Closer!

Plus the Carrera facelift rear-end features with dual-pipe PSE please

Dual-pipe PSE would be nice. And the loss ot the fog lights make the front look much cleaner.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Plus the Carrera facelift rear-end features

And the loss ot the fog lights make the front look much cleaner.

NOOOOOOOOO

Yes.

W00t! I plan to get the GT2 bumpers and rear wing for mine and it looks better every time I see it!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763978 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436280 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260946 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257888 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82593 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876663 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808660 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM