Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Distance yourself from the Cayman S.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Mike theres nothing "wrong" with offering a hardtop or convertible models of the same car car. Its a good idea to give buyers choices. But Porsche augered in and took a big dirtnap to some people about the Cayman.

Porsche tried to present it as a entirely new model when it is just a variant of the 987.

Porsche demands more retail money for it when it costs less to produce. They cleverly contravened buyers acceptance of paying more for a cab and less for a hardtop.

They gave it a "special" motor - then put the same motor into the Boxster.

They gave the Cayman wierd gearing to slow it down.

They put a ridiculous name on it that is a linquistic double entendre name in some cultures.

Tried to tell everyone it handles better than the cab version when the numbers proved otherwise at the Ring.

I think it looks better from the back 3/4 than a Boxster and looks tons better than a Audi TT or R8. But it also appears to be a cynical marketing ploy to extend the life and optimize the profit of the Boxster at their dealers expense.

Porsche could have reached higher and given customers more for the same costs. They chose not to. Joy!

Jim, we all know the concessions Porsche made with the Cayman....

Whether it actually costs more to produce is irrelevant....Porsche knew they could charge more for it and get it....good business is all.

Anybody but a moron would think it wasn't a Boxster coupe......my original deposit slip actually said Boxster coupe on it.....before the Cayman name was even announced.

They gave it the so called weird gearing to protect the 911.

Porsche conceded and gave the 3.4L to the Boxster because it was starting to fall behind the rest of the roadster competition.

As far as the name goes.....ya, at the time I was scratching my head....but now I actually like it.....and so do most other folks I know of....sure beats Boxster Coupe IMO.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:I missed that - any chance of a scan, please?

When I get chance. May not be for a while though.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Porsche reduced Boxster production and compelled dealers in the US to buy lots of non S Caymans. Those non S Caymans have spiked the sales figures - wich do not reflect cars sold to consumers, but cars sold to dealers to floor on their lots.

The increase of Cayman "sales" is not the result of vox populi - its the intended action of Porsche HQ to make more money from their dealers!

When it comes to the 987 series, Porsche would rather sell Caymans than Boxsters. So now they force the issue on the dealers wich has really pi$$ed them off, because its easier for dealers to sell a Porsche convertible for 5K less than a Cayman when it comes to a 987.

This makes so much sense that it could be true...

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    myself and MANY others included would not buy a Boxster at any price. I waited years for the Cayman when I could of had a loaded to the max Boxster.....nope, not in my lifetime...don't like the looks or the body stucture.

Perfectly sound and logical reasons to buy a Cayman and I respect your opinions. Exactly the same reason why some 911 buyers prefer the coupe and others the Cabrio. If I went the 911 route, I'd have the coupe every time.

I may well choose a Cayman myself next time round, having borrowed a 911 S last summer for a few days I much prefer the precison and chuckability of the mid engined layout. I'd agree with any Cayman owners who say they would rather have one than a 911.

Do you guys really pay that much attention to these minute difference in price and HP when choosing what model to buy?? If the boxter was 1/2 the price of the cayman and had 100 more hp than it, I still would have bought a cayman. I wanted a coupe. I didn't even know what the price or hp of the boxter was when I bought the cayman, and only learned of the disparities from posts like this.

Same with the 997. If the cayman and 997 had the same hp and were the same price, I'd still pick the cayman. I have had 911's, and got rid of a 996 turbo for the cayman. I have NO regrets. I wanted a cayman, so I bought one. All this comparison is pretty moot for many buyers....I think. I also could care less about the name of the car. Call it wahtever you want, boxter RS, coupe, mini-911, 910, who the heck cares....I'd still have bought one.

dw

@davew : Type 100 times - Boxster!

Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster!

Quote:
    davew said:
    Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster! Boxster!

I wish they'd invented "paste and copy" when I was at school!

Quote:
    nick1 said:
    lets face it: there is a slight "snob" effect which helps structure a product range. BMW: 3 and 5 series: there isnt THAT much difference. So i guess yes, a 911 owner wants to distance himself from a Cayman S, and a Cayman S owner want to distance himself from a Boxter and so the list goes on..

The whole thing is the passion for sports cars and in particular Porsche. To me it does not make any sense at all to snub one another, I've never done it and will never do it. Porsche is what keep us all together

FWIW - I have had 3 993's the latest being a 1996 cab. I just ordered a 997 C2S and I share much of the sentiment expressed on this thread - especially the Cayenne owners not acknowledging the reciprocal wave etc. but I have never either been a snob or received snobbery back from any Boxster, Cayman or 911 drivers. In fact a fellow watch collector friend of mine just got rid of a 997 C4 3 months ago and got a Cayman S last week. He loves it. The only thing I regret so far is I turned down the opportunity to drive the Cayman because it was night time. I look forward to driving it soon, though.

Cheers.

Kenny S

Same [beep], different thread

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Same [beep], different thread

Happy New Year to you too Toplad!
    I look forward to more of your insightful comments in 2007.

How about you feck off!

What exactly are you doing in the Cayman section anyway, oh that's right you're an insecure clown with to much time on your hands.

Can't you go spout your $hit over there instead; you might be more welcome than hanging round here a like bad smell. Constantly berating anyone who dares to offer a positive opinion.

Toplad, good luck wherever you go to next. You are going to need it.

Why's that?

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Why's that?

Because you are behaving like an ass, that's why. Treat people with respect, no matter what you think of them, that's one of the basic rules of etiquette.

I'm sure the Cayman Club doesn't help the attitude at all... There's definately an elitist attitude on that site... But if you've read the posts by their Site God then you know a fish starts to stinks from the head down...

I own a 2006 Cayman S and a 1996 993 C4S... They both have their merits... But, while the Cayman S drops like a rock in value because it's a robotically made mass-produced vehicle, my handmade air-cooled 993 C4S will continue to increase in value...

If I could find the right 993TT my Cayman S would be gone in a flash!!!

Re: Distance yourself from the Cayman S. *DELETED*

Post deleted by RC

Another [beep] - Weren't you ever taught that profanity is the idiots way to communicate - Too funny... Go back to the CC where you belong... I only speak the truth which seems to be hard for the CS owners on that site to handle...

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:
    Why's that?

Because you are behaving like an ass, that's why. Treat people with respect, no matter what you think of them, that's one of the basic rules of etiquette.

Your an ass, c0ck head

I've reported your posts to the moderators. There isn't a place for people such as yourself on Rennteam.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Your an ass.....

I've reported your posts to the moderators. There isn't a place for people such as yourself on Rennteam.

Quite rightly, too!

I mean, if the guy cannot get a simple sentence like "You're an ass" right when writing in his own language.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Your an ass.....

Quite rightly, too!

I mean, if the guy cannot get a simple sentence like "You're an ass" right when writing in his own language.

Quite franky, using numbers in place of letters in words is what disturbed me .

Quote:
    Crash said:

I do that all the time for my computer passwords

Quote:
    Bull said:
    Another [beep] - Weren't you ever taught that profanity is the idiots way to communicate - Too funny... Go back to the CC where you belong... I only speak the truth which seems to be hard for the CS owners on that site to handle...

You're clearly a genius

You chastise me for using profanity and use it yourself in the same post, but for some reason that's ok, I suppose that makes you an [beep] too.

Also I've never disputed anything you've posted, so I don't know where you get this idea that I can't handle the truth, (WTF does that mean anyway), who do you think you are, Jack Nicholson in the film, A Few Good Men?

I also don't use CC either btw, it's pony. Jumping to a lot inaccurate conclusions seems to be your thing.

Dumb arse!

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The above doesn't apply when you're a 1337 h4x0r from Switzerland .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The above doesn't apply when you're a 1337 h4x0r from Switzerland .

Lol :-) had to google this!

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Quote:
    Bull said:

You're clearly a genius

You chastise me for using profanity and use it yourself in the same post, but for some reason that's ok, I suppose that makes you an [beep] too.

Also I've never disputed anything you've posted, so I don't know where you get this idea that I can't handle the truth, (WTF does that mean anyway), who do you think you are, Jack Nicholson in the film, A Few Good Men?

I also don't use CC either btw, it's pony. Jumping to a lot inaccurate conclusions seems to be your thing.

Dumb arse!

The word that got beeped was "Idi0t" just for your FYI and I'm certainly not going to get into a contest of words with one...

With just 7 posts on rennteam and you're already attacking, telling people what to do. You're a real charmer.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    With just 7 posts on rennteam and you're already attacking, telling people what to do. You're a real charmer.

You are incorrect... I was attacked first... AND, please explain yourself as I haven't told anyone to DO anything so you're REALLY off base on that one... I made an observation based on the posts and was attacked... At any rate, QUE TENGA BUEN DIA!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776883 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262716 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85141 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5527 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880582 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815744 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM