Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayman S @ 4.4 sec 0-60mph !!

in order not to re post please take a look at this link:
    http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread.php?t=7338
    Definately this car delivers.....all it takes is just a few adjustments...cheers all...

Re: Cayman S @ 4.4 sec 0-60mph !!

Quote:
    Cocodrilo said:
    in order not to re post please take a look at this link:
    http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread.php?t=7338
    Definately this car delivers.....all it takes is just a few adjustments...cheers all...

The problem with such sites is that they're always singing "Hallelujah" to cheer a certain product and it is actually impossible to find out the truth. Of course the same applies to other car forums on the internet, including 911 forums. It is always good to have a couple of people who may be a little bit less biased and a little bit more open minded to check posts and "correct" them if necessary.

The creator of the Cayman Club came here to us many many months ago and started a pretty provocative discussion about certain claims. He knew exactly that Cayman owners/buyers will love to hear his words and come over to his place. Seems that he was right, blindness always works well for business ideas.

Well at least after 300+ views I got a reply.....

So what does it tell you?

That for the exception of you, RC and a few more, no ones here seems to give a s#@$ about the Cayman S here.....too sad....

-this is a reply in line with the nature of your post- Sorry to the rest....had to...

They like slagging the Cayman off, but if you post anything positive, it's dismissed as biased or some other crap by RC and his 911 lovers mates. The clowns on here "cherry pick" any negative articles that suits their point of view and ignore anything positive, this started even before the car came out and when the reviews were glowing and sales figures record breaking this did nothing but galvanise their insecurities even more.

I find http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?f=48&h=0 to be a decent site for the Cayman; any views are heard regardless pro or con with a bit more maturity and less insecurity.

It's a waste of time on here. Avoid

Quote:
    toplad said:

Won't be seeing you here again, then.

Quote:
    toplad said:
    They like slagging the Cayman off, but if you post anything positive, it's dismissed as biased or some other crap by RC and his 911 lovers mates.

Trouble is YOU never post anything useful AT ALL. You just stir, but never contribute. I don't think you even OWN a Cayman and suspect you never have.

In my view, the first post in the thread didn't immediately invite comment, and RC's response was valid and unbiased.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:

Won't be seeing you here again, then.

Corrr , what a bummer

why can't the two just co-exsist!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    In my view, the first post in the thread didn't immediately invite comment, and RC's response was valid and unbiased.

I agree the first post didn't invite comment, however in my view RC's response was demeaning and full of self importance.

Having said that I'm starting to get used to RC's scathing attacks on anything Cayman related, and I must admit to enjoying the debates they cause. And in the spirit of coexistence, I'd like to wish Dreamcar a happy 2007.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    I'd like to wish Dreamcar a happy 2007.

Thank you. And may I take this opportunity to wish you a healthy, happy, safe and prosperous New Year. Here's to another year of lively debate

Thank you.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:

I agree the first post didn't invite comment, however in my view RC's response was demeaning and full of self importance.

Having said that I'm starting to get used to RC's scathing attacks on anything Cayman related, and I must admit to enjoying the debates they cause. And in the spirit of coexistence, I'd like to wish Dreamcar a happy 2007.

I'd be happy if dreamcar would just grow up a bit instead, think that's the best we can hope for in 2007, any more would be a bridge to far.

I'm not even going to respond to Wtsnet drivel comment

Quote:
    toplad said:I'm not even going to respond to Wtsnet drivel comment

I will to yours then, M3 boy.
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp?memberId=52523&tab=2&h=0&f=0&t=0
    And I can't see you've made any useful contributions on Cayman issues (or any Porsche in fact) on that board either.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:I'm not even going to respond to Wtsnet drivel comment

I will to yours then, M3 boy.
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp?memberId=52523&tab=2&h=0&f=0&t=0
    And I can't see you've made any useful contributions on Cayman issues (or any Porsche in fact) on that board either.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well wtsnet you were spot on about toplad's Cayman experience (none) and any other sports car experience (also none).

The old saying about empty vessels would seem to apply here.

Oh dear, you're way off and you've got to much time on your hands too. Stick to posting the drivel.

My profile is here, http://www.pistonheads.com/members/editProfile.asp if you feel the need to bother, I'm sure you will and try and dig something up. Don't know how you can be arsed.

Why I'm bothering to justify myself to you, I don't know, maybe you should get dreamcar to come round and bum you, I'm sure he'll post something really clever, oh look he already has.

toplad, what are you, twelve? there is absolutely no need to be offensive. I'm sure other Rennteamers know which one of us is spouting drivel. And your link doesn't work.
    Post something useful and relevent to this board or shut the hell up.

lol, yes call me a lair isn't offensive, no of course not.
    Now your telling me to shut, but that's not offensive either I suppose.

You clown!

What is truly amazing is the number of non-Cayman owning people that continually post to this Cayman forum just to be annoying.

There are many of them here including both Porsche and non-Porsche owners that don't offer anything of value but continually harass Cayman owners with why "their" model/car is better for some reason. For some reason they feel the need to camp out here to offer their unsolicited opinions to people that already have bought a Cayman and are very pleased with it. It has become an obsession with some, but then again you know you have something good when so many get bent out of sorts and continue to pursue their attempts to discredit the Cayman.

Too bad....it's what keeps this Cayman forum at the very bottom of the list for Cayman owners.

I love my CS as is. Is it a fault free car?....not by any means, but it is, and continues to be the Porsche for me. I don't go over to the 997, Boxster, or any other forum to say why I picked the Cayman over them....that would be moronic.

Really....if you don't own or plan to own a Cayman, or have something really valid to offer that pertains to the Cayman,
    your just being a pest. But then again, some people just can't resist.

Yeah truly a sad bunch, even to the point of trying to get other posters to back them up, with stupid statements like, I 'm sure other rennteamers will agree, blah, blah.

How childish it that for god sake?

My word, surely it's time one of the Rennteam moderators put a stop to this.

Gentlemen, please let's keep this civilised.

The problem here is that people dont want to be threatened and the Cayman S is threatening. Aside from the GT, it is the only Porsche not made for the masses. It is for the porsche purists out there and people cant respect that b/c they are not comfortable with this title going to anything but a 911. I love the 911 and always will but it is made for the masses now, and thats just the way it goes.

Sir, with all due respect, models like the 911 GT3, 911 GT3 RS, 911 GT2 are certainly not made for the masses. They are the real purists' cars. By comparison, a Cayman or Cayman S is more of a mass appeal car just like a Boxster or a 911 Carrera.

"Porsche purists" would almost certainly only want a rear engined Porsche (probably air cooled). The Cayman is no more "pure Porsche" than a Boxster, or for that matter a Cayenne. To say that the Cayman is the only non-mass market Porsche other than the Carrera GT is either meant to be deliberately provocative or just plain silly. It's no less mass market than any other mass produced Porsche.

What irritates me more than anything else is that certain individuals cannot, or don't want to, accept the fact that the Cayman is a Boxster coupe. Nothing more, nothing less. And if that statement is considered as "slagging" the Cayman then by definition it is also "slagging" the Boxster that I have been so thrilled with I have twice paid my own hard earned money to buy.

Now that the Cayman S and Boxster S even share the same engine (that was originally hyped as being "developed specially for the Cayman") the cars are even more identical. Same engine. Same gearbox. Same suspension. Same brakes. Same steering. Same interior (apart from the cowl over the instruments). Same internal model designation (987). Only significant difference is the fixed head coupe or convertible soft top, with the marginal increase in stiffness and therefore handling that the former provides. The only difference in the owners of either car is the individual preference for that choice. Do I, as a Boxster owner feel "threatened" by the Cayman? No. Why would I be? If I'd wanted a Cayman I would have bought one. Would I have a Cayman S for my next Porsche should I buy one? In all possibility yes. I thought long and hard about it before I signed on the dotted for the Boxster S 3.4 I drive now. I prefer the mid engined precision of the 987 family to the rear engined feel of the 997 which I found it slightly cumbersome after I'd borrowed one for a week. Is my preference for a Boxster / Cayman way of doing things over a 997 "slagging" a 997? No. It's just my preference.I respect the 997 very highly.

Do 997 coupe owners "slag" 997 cabrio owners for their choice or vice versa? No. Do a small minority or any of the 997 coupe owners think that their car is "more of a proper Porsche" or more exclusive than the equivalent cabrio model? No. Is there any greater difference between 997 coupe and 997 cabriolet than Boxster and Cayman? No.

So why this anamosity? I think RC may be right when he stated in this thread that the founder of the Cayman club joined here to encourage this ridiculous anamosity to drive Cayman enthusiasts away from Rennteam to his own forum. The mistake here is that some here and I will take my share of blame, for maybe rising to the bait he'd dangled.

Hell we are all sports car enthusiasts. Let's bury the hatchet here and now, behave like adults and just get along respecting each others opinions realising that we are not always going to agree.

Hence my exception of the GT's as I should have said it. I mean even the turbo's sell more tiptronic convertible's these days its a joke. And of course anyone who bought a boxster S is going to be bitter they didnt buy a cayman S. I would be too. While they do share many of the parts and i quote "Porsche says the Cayman shares 51 per cent of its components with the 911, 29 per cent with the Boxster and is 20 per cent unique." I am just telling you what you should know already. If you got the boxster you should love it b/c i had a boxster s and loved it but after driving both i much prefer the cayman s. However i could argue that i prefer the boxster s to the 997 non S of course. Point being they are all amazing cars just take your preference.

Quote:
    joshb1 said:And of course anyone who bought a boxster S is going to be bitter they didnt buy a cayman S.

Bitter because of all the money they saved, or bitter because they bought the car they really wanted (a Boxster S), even though they could have afforded both?

The real bug-bear for me, and the reason I keep rising, is that many Rennteam subscribers perpetually post inflamatory postings to perpetuate the myth - and it IS a myth - that owners of other Porsches, particularly the Boxster look down on the Cayman, and in return post statements implying that all other Porsche model owners are 'stupid' not to have bought a Cayman.

This behaviour drives legitimate Cayman owners away from this board because nothing useful is ever posted here!!

Getting back to the original thread topic, 4.4 seconds 0-60 with a few mods? Possibly. The sort of posting that I would have liked to have seen would be along the lines of:
    - did they test the 0-60 before the mods?
    - How did it affect fuel consumption?
    - What is the 0-62 time? (Isn't the Porsche quoted time 0-62mph, roughly 0-100kph?)
    - Aren't the 0-62 times conservative anyway? I seem to remember when the 987S was being reviewed, many testers were getting closer to 5secs than the 5.5 claimed.

Anyone like to comment?

Quote:
    joshb1 said:
    And of course anyone who bought a boxster S is going to be bitter they didnt buy a cayman S. I would be too.

Not in the slightest little bit. After my first Boxster (987 S 3.2) I had an extended test drive in a Cayman S as it was a very close call which way I went. In the end I went for a Cayman Cabrio (sorry I mean a Boxster S 3.4) because I love open top sports car driving more than I would have appreciated the marginally taughter handling of the Cayman. Now that the engine is identical, the performance is also identical, remember, apart from a purely hypothetical 2 mph max speed. I'd have still bought the Boxster if it had been Pounds5k more than the Cayman rather than the other way round, in the same way as that price differential is largely irrelevant to those who choose the Cayman.

With regard to parts sharing Porsche don't say how much commonality of the parts the Boxster has with the 911 but I would suspect 51%. Surely you are not deluding yourself that the Cayman is more closely related to the 911 than the Boxster are you? In which case it would have been designated by the factory "997" not "987" and would have been built in Stuttgart rather than Finland?

Hold your horses DC - I think he meant that Boxster = 51% 997, and Cayman = 51% 997, 29% non-997 Boxster, 20% Unique. ie Cayman = 80% Boxster.

And I was trying to get back on topic!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    The real bug-bear for me, and the reason I keep rising, is that many Rennteam subscribers perpetually post inflamatory postings to perpetuate the myth - and it IS a myth - that owners of other Porsches, particularly the Boxster look down on the Cayman, and in return post statements implying that all other Porsche model owners are 'stupid' not to have bought a Cayman.

This behaviour drives legitimate Cayman owners away from this board because nothing useful is ever posted here!!

You are spot-on wtsnet

Comments like "Cayman is a threat to other Porsche models", "Cayman is the only Porsche not made for the masses", "Boxster owners being bitter not having bought a Cayman instead" just provide evidence that you're conclusion is correct.

I'm convinced that every Cayman owner posting quality content rather than propaganda here on Rennteam will be treated with respect and can expect a reasonable discussion.
    On the other hand Cayman owners should accept that RC and others blame PAG for the strange marketing concept regarding the Cayman (that does not imply any criticism about the car's qualities). In fact this marketing issue is a topic on all other internet Porsche boards also (maybe with exception of caymanclub).

I'm sure that a lot of Rennteamers would appreciate to see more threads coming from Cayman owners posting driving reports, pics, sharing ownership experiences etc. ....instead of reading Kindergarten comments like shown in this thread

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780953 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442577 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263351 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261672 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85812 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5914 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881426 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818911 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM