Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Front trunk temperature

I actually have a very stupid question. I never bothered to look whether the front trunk of a 997S becomes really warm after say 3hours drive. Anybody with experiences to share?
    I need to carry today kilos of chocolate for Christmas ! - and it's not something I would have liked to do with the 986S in the back trunk
    Thanks

Re: Front trunk temperature

There's one way to find out. Ask a gullible person to get in when you next take the car for a drive. Only joking

Actually, there's even an emergency handle in the front boot so that anyone trapped in there can get out. Gosh, now I'm really proving that I bothered to read the whole manual from cover to cover...sad huh?

This depends whether you have a car with AWD. In that case the front trunk gets somewhat warm.
    Of course, it will get extremely hot under the bonnet in direct sun light, depending on your car color.

Chocolate in the front should be okay in winter time with low temperatures outside. In an AWD car, I would but it on top of something else.

Why not just put it on the folded down rear seats and turn the a/c up!

I must say - every week I put ice cream, chocolate, frozen vegetables, chilled fruit juices, milk, smoothies, fresh fish/seafood in my front boot and none of them ever get warm from the drive.

I must be the first rennteamer with a Porsche 911 delivery van!

I can just imagine it. All those 911s lined up in Zuffenhausen picking straws to see which one gets which kind of owner. One 911 picks an owner who will take it to the race track every few weeks (sergini). Another 911 gets an owner who will travel across continents taking majestic photos of lakes and mountains (Gnil). And then there's my poor 911 that was destined to be owned by the 'notorious grocery man'. My poor car has to go to the supermarket every week to do my grocery shopping. Can you imagine my 911 in a huge car park filled with 4X4s, minivans, estate cars, hatchbacks etc ? People look and people stare wondering what on earth a car like mine is doing in a place like that!

BUT, rest assured, I do take it for plenty of fast drives too!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Why not just put it on the folded down rear seats and turn the a/c up!

I must say - every week I put ice cream, chocolate, frozen vegetables, chilled fruit juices, milk, smoothies, fresh fish/seafood in my front boot and none of them ever get warm from the drive.

I must be the first rennteamer with a Porsche 911 delivery van!

I can just imagine it. All those 911s lined up in Zuffenhausen picking straws to see which one gets which kind of owner. One 911 picks an owner who will take it to the race track every few weeks (sergini). Another 911 gets an owner who will travel across continents taking majestic photos of lakes and mountains (Gnil). And then there's my poor 911 that was destined to be owned by the 'notorious grocery man'. My poor car has to go to the supermarket every week to do my grocery shopping. Can you imagine my 911 in a huge car park filled with 4X4s, minivans, estate cars, hatchbacks etc ? People look and people stare wondering what on earth a car like mine is doing in a place like that!

BUT, rest assured, I do take it for plenty of fast drives too!

Mine does go to the supermarket too.. and the front trunk sees many groceries bag

its no where near the engine so shouldn't get warm in there unless the sun is beating down on the bonnet

I'm wondering why no one thought about placing a simple thermometer in the trunk. Some even tells you what the lowest/highest temperature was.

That said, if you do that, don't be surprised your girl/wife has left you when you wake up the next morning. Taht's taking car love to the ultimate level of craziness.

Quote:
    amazon said:
    I'm wondering why no one thought about placing a simple thermometer in the trunk. Some even tells you what the lowest/highest temperature was.

+1 for what amazon said. A simple thermometer with a maximum and minimum temperature setting should tell the story.

That said, if you do that, don't be surprised your girl/wife has left you when you wake up the next morning. Taht's taking car love to the ultimate level of craziness.

I have not noticed in my 997C2S cab, but my GT3's front trunks definitely gets warm. I try not to put anything in there when I'm driving long distance.

The front trunk does get very hot. There has to be some type of engine-related equipment close to it. I've carried soft-sided ice chests in it and the ice melts fairly quickly. Another note, definitely don't travel with your wines in there, they are nice and toasty when you arrive at your event.

If you keep moving on a cloudy day the trunk will stay a little above ambient temp (I'm kinda guessing; never noticed a hot trunk in all the times I used it right after parking a hot car).

If you stop the car after it is hot the trunk will heat up; the radiators for the engine are on both sides.

trip report: the chocolate is fine coz it travelled on the passenger seat thanks to the input of this board, but I got rear-ended by a girl who has her license for 3 months...

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    trip report: the chocolate is fine coz it travelled on the passenger seat thanks to the input of this board, but I got rear-ended by a girl who has her license for 3 months...

Merde Bonne année

ca commence mal....
    Merry Christmas to you too and thanks for the nice picture from the other post!

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    ca commence mal....

C'est le cas de le dire. C'est grave ou pas?
    En plus ca va être les vacances, tu risques de te retrouver sans ta porsche pendant 1 moment.

Bon courage et joyeux noel qd même !

bah je pense pas trop grave, le moteur n'a rien car j'ai pu rouler 100km sans problemes apres, mais quand meme il y a des travaux et comme tu le dis avec les vacances ca va prendre du temps! juste embetant...
    she was just asleep or something...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    There's one way to find out. Ask a gullible person to get in when you next take the car for a drive. Only joking

Actually, there's even an emergency handle in the front boot so that anyone trapped in there can get out. Gosh, now I'm really proving that I bothered to read the whole manual from cover to cover...sad huh?

What's really sad is that you read the wrong manual.

All cars sold in the USA have to have a mechanical trunk lid release lever inside the trunk. If you have an European Porsche then, like mine, it will not have this feature.

So you read both the American and the European manuals sufficiently well to be able to compare them both? Man, you're even sadder than I am!

That really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. Hope it can be fixed easily and quickly. She should have taken a damn sight more care!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    So you read both the American and the European manuals sufficiently well to be able to compare them both? Man, you're even sadder than I am!

You're right, I must be.

I'd feel sorry for myself if I had the time. But I'm too busy because of all those car manuals out there that I haven't read yet.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

You're right, I must be.

I'd feel sorry for myself if I had the time. But I'm too busy because of all those car manuals out there that I haven't read yet.

lol, fritz - now i know who to speak to when i have problems. i have never lifted a manual for a car in years

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    That really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. Hope it can be fixed easily and quickly. She should have taken a damn sight more care!

Indeed...and she was like "it's no big deal, will not cost much"...hinting we should not do anything paperwise...but my whole bumper is dead...it needs to be entirely replaced, and I do not see this being cheap. Anyway, I am mostly annoyed because of the trouble going to the garage etc, and because the lovely butt of my car is not as sexy as it should be

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Indeed...and she was like "it's no big deal, will not cost much"...hinting we should not do anything paperwise...but my whole bumper is dead...it needs to be entirely replaced, and I do not see this being cheap. Anyway, I am mostly annoyed because of the trouble going to the garage etc, and because the lovely butt of my car is not as sexy as it should be

Sorry to hear that Jean !!
    Was she at least pretty ?

The replacement of the front bumper + paint costs CHF 1600.. that should give you an idea. I have been front ended by a car reversing last summer....

...but on the back you have the sensors for reverse gear detection (whatever the proper name of this is...cannot remember!)...so I guess a bit more...
    and not she was not pretty... :-)

Now on these cold days, whenever I open the trunk to take my sports bag out, the bag itself and the clothes are cold
    I haven't driven the car in summer yet, but in winter, I'm very confident to leave a bar of chocalate in the trunk

Quote:
    Mike S said:

lol, fritz - now i know who to speak to when i have problems. i have never lifted a manual for a car in years

If you had to read all your car manuals it'd take you a year. And as you get cars like I get writable CDs, you'd be reading manuals till the end of time.

Come to think of it, there's one exception in your case: Maybe you can find the LP640's manual on the web, you have plenty of time to read it till delivery.

On some days, I'm pure evil

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

You're right, I must be.

Don't rely on me, Mike, I just wrote that to go along with easy_rider911's joke at my expense.

I don't make a hobby of reading car manuals, as easy rider thought. I just knew that there is a legal requirement for all cars currently sold in the USA to be fitted with a trunk release lever inside the trunk.

Quote:
    amazon said:

As long as you place a nice peace of jewelery inside the trunk the very next time, it should be fine.

Quote:
    Billyboy said:
    The front trunk does get very hot. There has to be some type of engine-related equipment close to it. I've carried soft-sided ice chests in it and the ice melts fairly quickly. Another note, definitely don't travel with your wines in there, they are nice and toasty when you arrive at your event.

Yeah, the radiators are just in front.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:

Stupid chick! Sad to hear, but it all could've been much worse...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780689 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442520 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263308 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261629 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85763 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5901 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881370 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818721 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM