Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Wax for you Porsche folks

I now have seen it all. http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-12001-Royale-Glaze/dp/B000F3K0T8/ref=pd_ybh_a_16/102-8880191-7373725 Please tell me no one here has paid this kind of money for wax.

Re: Wax for you Porsche folks

I paid Pounds69 (that's $135 at today's FX rates) for 200g of Swissvax Zuffenhausen wax (40% Brazilian yellow carnauba wax content) which is specially made for modern Porsches. They make a wax called 356 which is for vintage Porsches and one called Scuderia for Italian cars. Their cheapest wax is called Onyx: Pounds39 for 200g (contains 30% Brazilian yellow carnauba).

But Swissvax (formerly Swissol) makes these waxes too:

1) Divine Personal Wax Pounds1280 for 200g (61% white Brazilian carnauba!) (US$2508!!!)
    2) Mystery Glaze Pounds290 for 200g
    3) Best of Show Pounds119 for 200g.

Unbelievable prices.

Some of you may have heard about this guy in the UK that charges GBP5000 for a complete car wash and wax etc using only the finest waxes available in the world.

I like P21S. Awesome stuff.

LOL. Sounds about right assuming it's the year 2300 and the product is made from a centuries-old petrochemical-based recipe.

What bothers me is it only got a three-star rating. Just think about the better waxes that might be available.

I use wax that is 60% Saber-Toothed Puruvian Mountain Yak virgin ear wax, and 40% African Jungle Chihuahua fromunder cheese harvested with an antique wooden spoon by toothless tribeswomen who then cure it between their cheek and gum for 7 1/2 hours. It costs $7,000 an ounce, and there's a 5-year waiting list, and if you get caught with it in U.S. customs, you're shipped to Guantanamo Bay.

Of course, once you wax your car with it the result is not much different than a $7 bottle of Meguiars, but that's where you have to fly in a genuine hindu swami who will bring you into such a pure state of meditation that you'll swear it looks better, and was well worth the price...

If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a wax cynic. There's a point where you're just mentally masturbating. The real key is a decent quality product (no need to spend over $20 bucks for a can or bottle), and applying it frequently and properly.

I already use the Swissol wax for 5 years. On my first 996, metallic black I used the "standard" wax. After 5 years and 90.000 km this car still looked like new. No small scratches what you normally see on black paint. For my new 977 I ordered the Zuffenhuasen wax, but to my opinion the "standard" is of the same quality.
    Good stuff of Swiss oil, also the leather cleaning products are great.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I use wax that is 60% Saber-Toothed Puruvian Mountain Yak virgin ear wax, and 40% African Jungle Chihuahua fromunder cheese harvested with an antique wooden spoon by toothless tribeswomen who then cure it between their cheek and gum for 7 1/2 hours. It costs $7,000 an ounce, and there's a 5-year waiting list, and if you get caught with it in U.S. customs, you're shipped to Guantanamo Bay.

Of course, once you wax your car with it the result is not much different than a $7 bottle of Meguiars, but that's where you have to fly in a genuine hindu swami who will bring you into such a pure state of meditation that you'll swear it looks better, and was well worth the price...

If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a wax cynic. There's a point where you're just mentally masturbating. The real key is a decent quality product (no need to spend over $20 bucks for a can or bottle), and applying it frequently and properly.

Too funny!!!! Thanks 69bossnine, I needed that!

Paid Pounds120 for some Swissol "Best of Show" wax.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I now have seen it all. http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-12001-Royale-Glaze/dp/B000F3K0T8/ref=pd_ybh_a_16/102-8880191-7373725 Please tell me no one here has paid this kind of money for wax.

There are two detailers in the UK using this that i know of - the benefits of it over Vintage (approx $1900 a tub), and the lesser waxes from Zymol are debatable IMO (the law of diminishing returns etc).

But bear in mind that both Royale and Vintage are refillable for life, so over 30+ years, and if you have several cars, it can actually be cost effective.

You want to see the UK prices for this stuff !

If i'd bought Vintage from the outset when i started with Zymol 10 years ago i would now have my money back with interest, and the prospect of many more refills for free.

Boss, your killin me!!

I'd buy a book of bossnine's posts. Are you really Dave Barry?

I use the wax that comes with the porsche cleaning kit. You know the metal breif case full of stuff...over priced, small bottle, a funny little roller and tray, and a shamois I couldn't dry my privates with. The porsche washing shampoo is a joke. NO SUDDS. I can't get it to give me any bubbles! With one cap full, it behaves just like water. When I used half the bottle it worked out ok, but that's an expensive wash! The porsche wax I was impressed with. Actually, that's the best wax I've ever used, and the best thing is....if you read the lable, you'll find that it is a name brand sold in Germany. You can order it direct, without the porsche lable, and for much cheaper. It's good stuff, and leaves that wet look we all like so much.

Do you mean that your issue is........ a tissue to wax the car!!!

I use Swissol and I love it. Yes it is expensive, but it's enough for waxing the car more than ten times. Say you wax your car twice a year you are looking at $20 per year...

The Swissol guy actually told me that a Pounds69 jar of Zuffenhausen wax can be used on around 30-40 applications. From my own experience, I can say that you only need to use a very small quantity (It isn't like the usual liquid waxes where one bottle of 500ml wax lasts only 8-10 applications). Even if it's 20 applications, that's Pounds3.45 per application. Damn cheap if you ask me.

I plan to wax every 4 months. So one jar will last me for years!!

you are a hoot - I second the motion of Bossman writing a book of quotes

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    The Swissol guy actually told me that a Pounds69 jar of Zuffenhausen wax can be used on around 30-40 applications. From my own experience, I can say that you only need to use a very small quantity (It isn't like the usual liquid waxes where one bottle of 500ml wax lasts only 8-10 applications). Even if it's 20 applications, that's Pounds3.45 per application. Damn cheap if you ask me.

I plan to wax every 4 months. So one jar will last me for years!!

Yes could be more than ten times I was only guessing..

Boss,

That was hilarious. It makes me laugh everytime I read about these "detailers" who charge a small fortune for effectively polishing a car and the "stunning/superb/incredible/fantastic/better than it left the factory" comments from satisfied owners who use them. I stood and watched a demonstration at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the summer of Zymol wax being applied by hand (not on a pad or cloth) to a Ferrari 355. You'd have thought the guy was an alchemist the way he was going on to the small crowd watching over his PA system. I swear I could have got exactly the same shine with a small amount of P21S for a fraction of the cost and with hardly any physical effort.

Each to their own I guess but part of the whole ownership experience for me is taking pride in looking after my cars myself. It isn't rocket science after all

Just used P21S for the first time. Awesome,easy to use product. Amazing shine and depth

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Love it! Great post!

P21s all the way, especially on darker cars (read:black)

Super easy to apply, super easy to buff off, not requiring to haze over...

My only gripe with it is durability...doesn't last as long as a synthetic, such as Mothers FX Synwax...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

LMAO! As ever, I laughed till my belly ached!

But seriously, it's so easy to get swept along with your point of view though because you express it in such a funny way. Sure, there has to be a common sense/reality check as to price/value. The royale, mystery stuff is just crazy money. But spending GBP2-3 to wax your car is really not a lot. I spend that much on a cappuccino.

The main thing is that natural carnauba waxes are the hardest clear substance you can use to protect your paint. It isn't just about getting the best shine.

I never used all those fancy waxes till now. I used to use a good (but well priced wax) called Autoglym Super Resin Wax. But I saw a Swissol wax demonstrated to me and I could see the difference.

Life's too short to be so cynical. Maybe you do just get what you pay for.

Just my 0.02.

Collinite 476 is incredibly good stuff. Beads for an eternity and is dirt cheap.

Also fancy wax is a waste of time if your paint is in poor shape, with a new car if you spend some money on decent washing products (shampoo, grit guards, towels etc.) it will pay off far more than any expensive wax ever will.

I'm in two minds about expensive waxes. On the one hand I'm sure placebo and the laws of diminishing returns kick in, but even with the expensive waxes, if you get 30-40 applications from a tub, and each application lasts a couple of months it's maybe ten quid every couple of months - not much vs. the Porsche you're using it on.

Quote:
    hutchingsp said: ... if you spend some money on decent washing products (shampoo, grit guards, towels etc.) it will pay off far more than any expensive wax ever will.

What makes you think someone who uses a 'fancy' wax doesn't also use a good pH neutral shampoo, grit guards, microfibre cloths and towels??

Avoiding contamination is the most important thing when car washing.

Now, you should all know that wax only lasts for 30 days and degrades from that point on. Sure, it looks good, but there's only so much a wax can do on an automotive finish. Sun and other variables weaken the wax.

Somes waxes like Zymol's Estate line become insane in price for nothing more than what any other good grade wax has at first, then it's the oils that add to the price.

This is why more have gone to sealants as they last longer, and they are getting closer to the deep wax look.

Quite a few will use a sealant and layer it numerous times, then when cured, top it with a wax.

Blackfire has caught on to this and developed a kit called "Fire and Ice" which is a kit with both sealant and a wax. It's an old trick used by many detailer such as myself to obtain a deep, wet, reflective finish.

Some commercial sealants are very steril or plastic looking,
    and need to be topped with a wax. SOme people like that plastic look as well.

Save you money, use a good quality wax and stay with it. Unless you enter in concours events, it's still not worth it. I've had many cars entered into events and win on good wax, not this insane costly waxes. I've also judged many events as well.

It's all in the prep (clean, polish and finish polish/burnish) the finish. I could put Pledge on a car and you'd think it's some high-end wax. Get the finish flawless (no marring and high gloss on it's own) then put a wax over that. This is where you get the high level of deep wet shine.

Personally, I use Zaino's newer Z5-Pro and Z2-Pro along with Z8 and it's damn close to a wax look, lasts longer, easy to maintain etc. When I store the car for winter, it will get fully polished, then Zaino, then Souveran (it's a black finish) then the Porsche cover.

It's all personal preference.

Regards,
    Deanski

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763869 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436189 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82579 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876594 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808553 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM