Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche: the investment banker's commuter car...

I walk to my office in Canary Wharf each day. It's only 10 minutes walk. Each way, I see at least 3-4 Porsches every day, day in day out, rain or shine. Even split between Boxsters and 911s. Makes me feel great to see this is a car that on weekends you can drive fast all day long on the twisty bits or around a track or cruise high speed on the motorway and then come Monday, you use it to ferry you to and from work. What a car!

Investment bankers are notorious for wanting the 'latest this' or the 'latest that'. Yet, despite the obsession with having the latest technology in anything and everything, one thing (for so many of them) stays the same...the car they drive....made in Stuttgart...and I don't mean Mercedes Benz.

Re: Porsche: the investment banker's commuter car...

LOL ....in my expce, investment bankers tend to be decidedly non-car guys (aside from a rare M&A banker)....in NYC, 99%+ of inv bankers ride a train/subway to office; in more car-oriented Menlo Pk, the senior GS/MS tech bankers tend to drive beat-up 3yo BMW 7-series....and the pkg lots of the much wealthier VC's on SandHill Rd in Menlo typically have a dinged-up, sloppily parked 997Cab (often w/o SC)/SL55/CL55 as the most interesting car ....I'd be shocked if London's inv bankers are notably different from their US counterparts.... .

OTOH, more traders tend to be car guys, but vast majority are lowly train/taxi riders. Also, guys at more blue-chip firms tend to more often drive underwhelming cars, even for wkend drive to country club (perhaps the old-money, got-less-to-prove ethos ).

Hedge fund guys tend to drive more interesting cars.....but, even then, lots of 2-3 yo 996Cabs, CayenneS and SL500s, rather than <1yo 996TTS/430/65/612, are seen in the office pkg garages.....
    Always a mystery to me where that record bonus money is spent.......clearly, lots of guys in the various financial businesses can afford to commute via a new 997TT/65/599, or get an S65 and driver if traffic is too annoying/they hate driving....but it's a rare few who actually commute like titans.....

VKSF - I take the Metro North in every day - and save the P's for the weekends/girls

AJ, don't know if a Boxster is sufficient to explain away a rent-free, B&T existence at your parents' house to most Manhattan hotties......

Act like a young Master of the Universe....move into Manhattan and drive to office via 997 (and just get a limo and driver when you want to drink)....you'll prob stand out both @office and @bars.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    AJ, don't know if a Boxster is sufficient to explain away a rent-free, B&T existence at your parents' house to most Manhattan hotties......

Act like a young Master of the Universe....move into Manhattan and drive to office via 997 (and just get a limo and driver when you want to drink)....you'll prob stand out both @office and @bars.....

haha, Well that's where it's PARKED with my 996TT.

I would rather get a driver though - for commuting days and for weekends

FYI from personal experience, Manhattan is not worth a single cent of ridiculously high-priced rent!!!!!

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Always a mystery to me where that record bonus money is spent.......

Real Estate.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    FYI from personal experience, Manhattan is not worth a single cent of ridiculously high-priced rent!!!!!

Totally agree w/you ....one of my sharper former NYC colleagues (who was single) would rent an upscale FtLee, NJ condo for about 50% of its Manhattan-equiv rental cost...and avoid a chunk of the NYC resident wage tx (some 4 percentage points in late '90s); drive into NYC in his CL55/996TT (new car every yr) every AM, arriving at his Midtown trading desk by 6AM, after a mere 20-25 min drive (incl an 80MPH blitz down WestSideHwy); and would simply get a rm at FourSeasHotel for those Fri/Sat eves when he needed a place in NYC....net, net his total housing and commuting costs were even vs the conventional banker/trader living in an expensive tenement in Manhattan and still enduring a 30min door-to-door subway/taxi/walk commute to office, esp fun during the ugly heat&humidity/rain/snow/cold that one faces 330+d/yr in NYC....

Quote:
    sato said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Always a mystery to me where that record bonus money is spent.......

Real Estate.

I suspect you're correct....an "appropriate" apt/house in NYC/London/SF can easily eat up a hefty post-tax bonus....or two or three....

But I'd also bet vast majority of guys in financial business (or any business for that matter) aren't particularly car guys...they'll just get some BMW/P/MB car/SUV every 3-4 yrs that their colleagues/clients won't ridicule.....thus, the relatively uncommon sightings of impressive commuter cars on a rainy day in any major city I know of....Midtown and UppESide prob have some 100 personal S-Classes and drivers ferrying guys to-fro office/home/dinner, etc...but seeing a newish S65 and driver is fairly uncommon amidst the sea of scuffed-up 2-3yo, often debadged S430/500 limos that most NYC hedge fund and private equity kings use for commuting....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Totally agree w/you ....one of my sharper former NYC colleagues (who was single) would rent an upscale FtLee, NJ condo for about 50% of its Manhattan-equiv rental cost...and avoid a chunk of the NYC resident wage tx (some 4 percentage points in late '90s); drive into NYC in his CL55/996TT (new car every yr) every AM, arriving at his Midtown trading desk by 6AM, after a mere 20-25 min drive (incl an 80MPH blitz down WestSideHwy); and would simply get a rm at FourSeasHotel for those Fri/Sat eves when he needed a place in NYC....net, net his total housing and commuting costs were even vs the conventional banker/trader living in an expensive tenement in Manhattan and still enduring a 30min door-to-door subway/taxi/walk commute to office, esp fun during the ugly heat&humidity/rain/snow/cold that one faces 330+d/yr in NYC....

With the amount you save on rent, I can see the Four Seasons every weekend -- it would still probably come out cheaper (well, unless it's during peak hotel season)

Fort Lee doesn't sound too bad

NJ residence is an astute tax and rent arb play for a young trader who can't yet afford a $10MM+ Master of the Universe bachelor pad in Manhattan...and I suspect the some 4 percentage pt tx arb is bigger than the rent arb for any moderately well-paid young trader....

Besides, inviting a typically cash-poor model wannabe to join one @FourSeas is prob a fairly unusual and reasonably efficient "deal-closing" tactic that would be commended by even the shrewdest M&A bankers.....

I count more and more of them nowadays. Their popularity just seems to rise and rise!

It's property developers in Edinburgh. 997 Turbos breeding like rabbits.

But I'm studying derivatives at the moment as I near the end of my MBA - so here's hoping...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I count more and more of them nowadays. Their popularity just seems to rise and rise!

Are many Lond traders/M&A bankers (corp fin bankers are typically notorious anti-car, train-riding guys who like to read bestselling romance novels during their daily commute ) actually commuting in new 997S/997TT to office every day...even on rainy, gloomy days? In NYC, many single (and more senior married) traders/M&A bankers own P's, but cars hibernate in Manhattan garages 8 mos/yr and sit in Hamptons for summ wkend use to go get grub....while 99%+ of P owners daily-commute via subhuman subway/cab modalities....

At least in SilicVy, my informal obsvn is P is not particularly popular among either major tech/financial guys....in fact, my sense is car-oriented VC/LBO kings/major tech M&A bankers are favoring '07 S65's as daily commuter car-of-choice....at least until CL63 is released....

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Absolutely...today I took the taxi from South Ken to Canary, I counted at least 10 997S (most of them Cabrio).

When I park in the Cabot Square parking I can count more Porsche then Vauxhall!!

P.s. Where do you work in Canary? Maybe we are colleagues!!

The view from my office window (of a little oil company) looks down onto the streets opp 1CS in Canary Wharf - when we are sitting in boring meetings it's nice to see (and hear) sports cars driving around... F cars, P cars and Lambos - it's all here, just like back home... in South Ken!

Would be curious what an informal survey of what Lond's 50-100 biggest hedgies/prop traders/LBO guys (by rough annual bonus and/or net worth) actually drive for commuting would show....

Based upon similar informal surveys of financial/tech/media&entertainment titans in NYC/Greenwich/SilicVy/LA, my rough est is 95%+ of the biggest guys clearly don't really care/know much about cars (some awful choices )....and even the more car-oriented guys often choose surprisingly low-key, not top-of-range commuter cars, e.g., a new silver SL55 every 2-3 yrs/a new blk S550 every 2-3 yrs (w/driver) for Manhattan commuting, etc.....

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I walk to my office in Canary Wharf each day. It's only 10 minutes walk. Each way, I see at least 3-4 Porsches every day, day in day out, rain or shine. Even split between Boxsters and 911s. Makes me feel great to see this is a car that on weekends you can drive fast all day long on the twisty bits or around a track or cruise high speed on the motorway and then come Monday, you use it to ferry you to and from work. What a car!

I was an intern at a bank in Canary Wharf in the fall of 2004 (not in investment banking, unfortunately). The 997 was just starting to come out, I had a blk/blk 996 C4S (one of the few LHD cars! I had it shipped from the United States). I must agree with you, I would always see a few Pcars in the area, rain or shine. Porsche seems to be a popular brand among bankers in general.

I miss my daily drive to Canary Wharf!

The 911 has become in Germany a "common" business man commuter car, even accepted by the tax authoroties without a problem. The good thing is: the 911 isn't an exotic anymore and people start to accept it, resulting in a less "hostile" business atmosphere. Downside is: the 911 isn't an exotic anymore and especially in Germany, you can see one almost at every corner. I actually like this because people don't stare at me and my car like I'm an alien in a spaceship (well, they actually still do but maybe because the 997 Turbo is still too new).

Wish that was the case here. If you drive around here even in a M3 they stare at you as if you're some alien as RC nicely described

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Are many Lond traders/M&A bankers (corp fin bankers are typically notorious anti-car, train-riding guys who like to read bestselling romance novels during their daily commute ) actually commuting in new 997S/997TT to office every day...even on rainy, gloomy days? In NYC, many single (and more senior married) traders/M&A bankers own P's, but cars hibernate in Manhattan garages 8 mos/yr and sit in Hamptons for summ wkend use to go get grub....while 99%+ of P owners daily-commute via subhuman subway/cab modalities....

At least in SilicVy, my informal obsvn is P is not particularly popular among either major tech/financial guys....in fact, my sense is car-oriented VC/LBO kings/major tech M&A bankers are favoring '07 S65's as daily commuter car-of-choice....at least until CL63 is released....

Hey VK, I use my P to not only get grub in the Hamptons, but to go to the beach!

Quote:
    RC said:
    The 911 has become in Germany a "common" business man commuter car, even accepted by the tax authoroties without a problem.

That became very evident to me during the World Cup!

In the Hamptons, the 911 is the 16 year old or the gardener's car...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    In the Hamptons, the 911 is the 16 year old or the gardener's car...

LOL

Maybe Steven Spielberg's gardener....

Easy_Rider is right. 911's are a very common sight in east London. I regularly see 15 to 20 Pcars in my 8 mile commute in from Essex. Not surprising when you consider that Canary Wharf has become home to so many high earners.

I wonder how long Porsche can keep up 911 sales numbers? ...now that the exclusivity has gone.

Life on the higveld,anyway some Ring mates went to NY to take advantage of the strong Pounds and went look at some CGTs on the test drive in Manhattan he smoked it out of the showroom fishtailing down the "avenue". Salesstaff were stunned, boy you limmeys sure drive not the wall St boys here. When he got back before the sales lady could say anything he said "wrap em well take 2"

Porsche TOP 5 US markets
    1) Los Angeles
    2) New York
    3) San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
    4) Miami/Fort Lauderdale
    5) Dallas/Fort Worth

Markets: Top 6 markets (78% of Total)
    1) North America (38%)
    2) Germany (16%)
    3) UK (10%)
    4) Italy (5.5%)
    5) Middle East (4.6%)
    6) Japan (4.0%)

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

Porsche TOP 5 US markets
    1) Los Angeles
    2) New York
    3) San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
    4) Miami/Fort Lauderdale
    5) Dallas/Fort Worth

Markets: Top 6 markets (78% of Total)
    1) North America (38%)
    2) Germany (16%)
    3) UK (10%)
    4) Italy (5.5%)
    5) Middle East (4.6%)
    6) Japan (4.0%)

Interesting... Porsche sells as many cars in Europe as it does in the US .

Sales in FY 05/06: 96,794 units
    Western Europe: 44%
    North America: 38%
    Rest of World: 18%

Quote:
    S1XXR said:
    Easy_Rider is right. 911's are a very common sight in east London. I regularly see 15 to 20 Pcars in my 8 mile commute in from Essex. Not surprising when you consider that Canary Wharf has become home to so many high earners.

I wonder how long Porsche can keep up 911 sales numbers? ...now that the exclusivity has gone.

Right, no one wants something that everyone is buying!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781904 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442837 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263486 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261900 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85979 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6008 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881661 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819643 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM