Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

gt3 or .. ?

I've owned an 89 911 (sadly, being a youthful idiot, wrote it off spectacularly, after losing it at over 130mph!), and then I owned one of the last-non-c2 1994 911 (learned my lesson, it never bit me). Since those halycon days, automobile life has been dull.

Now I'm sorely tempted to look for a GT3, which I have hopeful ideas of flying to collect, then a drive back to the north eastern US, in no real hurry, just me and a shaving kit, streetpilot, and a camera, so to speak.

some questions:

After looking hard at the RS6 (don't laugh) as a total solution. I'm wondering whether a GT3 and keeping my daily driver, maybe more satisifying? Are they still out there on lots?

Would owning a GT3 in the north east (new york city to be exact) be impractical? ie: use it for summer/autumn weekend trips and perhaps track fun, without losing the front spoiler, getting numb in the butt, and dropping a bundle in depreciation?

Any *other* recommendation for a lazy 100k, no wife and kids and making up for lost time?

Any comments on this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474646647&category=10156

thanks in advance

Re: gt3 or .. ?

Go for the GT3. It won't disappoint you. There are several 04 GT3's listed in Autoweek.

http://www.autoweek.com/classifieds/index.mv?

Hope this helps.

No wife, no kids? Go for the GT3, it provides a lot of fun!
    Another alternative: the new 997 S coming up this autumn.

I have a wife and two kids and I had to sell my 996 Turbo because it became a garage queen. I went for a Mercedes E55 AMG instead and now I drive a Porsche Cayenne Turbo.
    There is no substitute for a Porsche, the steering feel, the special drive feel, the whole package is just right.
    I know many people may say that other mothers have beautiful daughters too but I'm in love with Porsche.

Quote:
    gt3_maybe said:
    Now I'm sorely tempted to look for a GT3, which I have hopeful ideas of flying to collect, then a drive back to the north eastern US, in no real hurry, just me and a shaving kit, streetpilot, and a camera, so to speak.

That sounds like the opening lines of a John D. MacDonald novel and I can't wait to read the rest of the story. If you do make the trip, please write it up or, better yet, post dispatches from the road.

There are many viewpoints here on Rennteam on what one should do with Porsches. Some think they are for track days, some think they are for polishing and others like to drive them on Saturday. For me, the highest and best use of a Porsche is for long, rambling cross country trips, preferably with no agenda.

Welcome and good luck in your search. Don't see how you can go wrong with a GT3.

Dain

Quote:
    no wife and kids and making up for lost time?

GT3 IT IS

well this is encouraging..

I enjoy landscape photography and the idea of taking pictures (probably with the car in the foreground) of sunsets, mountains, lakes, and angry state troopers, has some appeal

Um, some of the cars available seem to have HUGE lists of options. Are there any I should watch for, and AVOID? I don't mind options like a/c, but obviously some options will actually diminish the value of the car both for me and in the eyes of future buyers..? which are negatives?

A dealer told me they I won't find a gt3 allowed out on a test drive (they had just sold their last one).

thanks.

PS this is totally off topic but I had to share as it is probably new.

http://www.noexcusesc.com/

it is a UK advertisement encouraging people to always wear seat belts. It is one of the most graphic ads I've ever seen, but a re-enactment.

CAUTION: this video is not suitable for kids or adolescents!

Quote:
    gt3_maybe said:
    Um, some of the cars available seem to have HUGE lists of options. Are there any I should watch for, and AVOID? I don't mind options like a/c, but obviously some options will actually diminish the value of the car both for me and in the eyes of future buyers..? which are negatives?
    thanks.

I would definitely pass on the carbon brakes (too expensive and they disintegrate with heavy use)

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I would definitely pass on the carbon brakes (too expensive and they disintegrate with heavy use)

Can't confirm this. I'm driving a GT3RS with PCCB. I did 1130km on the track (no street driving) and now I have to change the front pads. I've never been able to do more than 1000km with steel rotors and Pagid (yellow/orange) pads. Of course you have to use the Pagid P50 (mint-green) or the Pagid RS19b pads on the PCCB.

Cheers
    Thomas

Quote:
    Thomas said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Can't confirm this. I'm driving a GT3RS with PCCB. I did 1130km on the track (no street driving) and now I have to change the front pads. I've never been able to do more than 1000km with steel rotors and Pagid (yellow/orange) pads. Of course you have to use the Pagid P50 (mint-green) or the Pagid RS19b pads on the PCCB.

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas - I will happily stand corrected if you are driving hard on a track which is hard on brakes. I have only heard very negative reports from those who have used PCCB's on the track (very expensive and frequent rotor changes). Maybe the RS comes with improved components or has improved cooling ducts?

Quote:
    Maybe the RS comes with improved components or has improved cooling ducts?

i don't have the PCCB on my GT3 RS so i can't comment on this one -- but at least the cooling ducts are massive and VERY low. i've managed to rip mine off 3 times in 5 months

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Thomas - I will happily stand corrected if you are driving hard on a track which is hard on brakes. I have only heard very negative reports from those who have used PCCB's on the track (very expensive and frequent rotor changes). Maybe the RS comes with improved components or has improved cooling ducts?

You are correct the RS comes with massive cooling ducts and you have to install 'race'-pads. But then you get a very sustainable brake. Regarding my braking: I usually brake hard but avoid ABS albeit getting maximum deceleration. At least with steel rotors this helped to improve the lifetime of the rotors.

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas-This is great news for me, since I have been considering changing from the PCCB Setup to the Iron Rotors for Tracking purposes...can you please specify the type of Tracks in kilometers...with the number of turns and also with which Pagid Pads did you accomplished to get 1130 km of Track life.

Peter

Quote:
    PKAY said:
    Thomas-This is great news for me, since I have been considering changing from the PCCB Setup to the Iron Rotors for Tracking purposes...can you please specify the type of Tracks in kilometers...with the number of turns and also with which Pagid Pads did you accomplished to get 1130 km of Track life.

Peter,

I was one day at Hockenheim (open pitlane) and did 350 km on the track at that day. Then I spent 3 days at Spa doing 780 km on the track. The pads at the rear are still good. The pad on the right side in the front is sort of ok but at the left one is just 3 mm left. It seems that I either did more right turns then left or I'm more confident doing trail-braking into right turns (probably a combination of both).
    I used 996.351.94092 (front) and 996.352.93090 (back).

Cheers
    Thomas

Quote:
    Thomas said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

You are correct the RS comes with massive cooling ducts and you have to install 'race'-pads. But then you get a very sustainable brake. Regarding my braking: I usually brake hard but avoid ABS albeit getting maximum deceleration. At least with steel rotors this helped to improve the lifetime of the rotors.

Cheers
    Thomas

I'm glad to hear that the RS has this improvement. I hope this can be retrofit to owners of the GT3 (not RS). Maybe it is because of these ducts and the lower weight of the GT3RS that you are having better results with the PCCB. A regular poster, Fixed Wing, has had widely published problems with PCCB on his car at the Nurburgring (996TT), which is considerably heavier (and has smaller ducts).

PCCB -- cooling scoops

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I'm glad to hear that the RS has this improvement. I hope this can be retrofit to owners of the GT3 (not RS). Maybe it is because of these ducts and the lower weight of the GT3RS that you are having better results with the PCCB. A regular poster, Fixed Wing, has had widely published problems with PCCB on his car at the Nurburgring (996TT), which is considerably heavier (and has smaller ducts).

No, actually, my car was fitted with GT2 scoops very early on. The GT2 scoops aren't much if any smaller than the RS scoops. The reason the RS scoops scrape and gets ripped off so quickly is that the RS is lower than the GT2 and GT3. The GT2 scoops worked well on my Turbo even on the streets because the Turbo is higher than the GT2.

But these scoops are just that -- scoops. They hardly provide the amounts of direct cooling air seen on a race carbon set-up.

FYI, all of the PCCB stuff is now off my car and Porsche AG has just agreed to refund the option price "on a commercial basis". Good riddance!

Stephen

Thomas,...Thanks for the information.

Peter

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689950 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409441 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255839 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65582 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858187 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774298 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM