Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Get an '06 Cayenne Turbo S or wait for facelifted Turbo?

Thats the dilemma I'm faced with - I have a 997 Turbo and will be trading in my Lexus - primary to use as a daily car and also have more hauling capabilities.
    I was at my local dealer last night to drop off my TT for a service and they have a Turbo S in white - absolutely stunning - sticker of $117k - the salesguy said they prepared to deal on that car - my only issue is that in a couple weeks its a 1 year old car and depreciation kicks it azz. My other option is wait for a facelifted Turbo around 2nd quarter '07...
    What to do?

Re: Get an '06 Cayenne Turbo S or wait for facelifted Turbo?

I'd wait. Cayenne's (especially the Turbo versions) DO NOT hold their value well. Myself, RC and other CTT owners can attest to this!

I opted for an 06 Cayenne S vs. waiting. The discounted price offered more than made up for the depreciation...I would not expect them to offer significant discounts on the 08.

just read somewhere the face lifted model due soon is going to have another 50hp to 500....i would think you could make a great deal

Wait... the new ones look better and actually have significant upgrades (outside of interior changes).

I'd wait for a facelifted one unless they let it go for less than $100k.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Wait... the new ones look better and actually have significant upgrades (outside of interior changes).

I agree, wait. There are many changes in this facelift that are not immediately obvious. There are enough drivetrain changes to make me wonder if maybe somethong has been done to cure the Cayenne hesitation/throttle lag/lurching issue. Probably a long shot, but ...

It depends on the price - if you wait a tad longer the price will even further go down.

The updated model should definately have its advantages, the only way to cope with this would be a very high discount on the showroom model.

I would wait. I have an 18 month old cayenne turbo with power kit which has dropped 35k sterling, approximately $70k since new with only 12,000 miles on it. With the new model it will only get worse. I love the car immensely but there will improvements on the new one I am sure.

Better off finding a year- old preowned CTT which has suffered the majority of " drive off " depreciation. Drive it for a 9-12 months and wait out the inevitable bugs that the 2008 model might have in first 6-9 months of production , then get the newer CTT , imo.

It depends on what kind of deal you can get on the current model. The problem with the Cayenne at the moment is that even most current model being sold is already over a year old (model year wise). The 2006 model year began September 2005 so even though we all know that they didn't make a 2007 model you can get hurt when you later go to sell your 2006 purchased this late in the cycle. Think about it, if you buy a 2006 right now and if you went to sell it next week, you could only get the same resale amount for it as someone else who might have bought their 2006 15 months ago.

So as I started with, only buy a 2006 now if you are getting a terrific deal. I bought a new 2005 Turbo in February 2006 for $78,000 (with a $96,000 window sticker). I felt I did well with that purchase since they were asking about the same amount for used 2005's at the time. I will at least get a year of having the most current body style with my purchase. If you buy a 2006 now, you will only have the latest and greatest for about three months before it is replaced with the refreshed version.

Lastly, the 2006 Turbo S will not have quite the value they now have (since they are king of the hill horsepower wise) when the new base Turbo comes out with 500 HP and the Powerkit or Turbo S versions have about 550 HP.

wont the money you spend on a new 08 be lost anywho? because it'll also go down in value, even more so in the first year?
    I think if your dealer gives a sweet discount go for the Turbo S in white! It couldn't be a "wrong" decision

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    wont the money you spend on a new 08 be lost anywho? because it'll also go down in value, even more so in the first year?
    I think if your dealer gives a sweet discount go for the Turbo S in white! It couldn't be a "wrong" decision

It could be a "wrong decision" if he doesn't get a large enough discount. Keep in mind that as soon as the 2008's arrive early next year the 2006's will appear to be a two year old model. So, if you buy now, in three months your new car will appear to be two years old (re-sale wise).

If he can get the $117,000 Turbo S for around $97,000 or less the deal might be worth it. If not, I think I would wait. He can get a 2008 re-freshed/improved Turbo with 500 HP for that amount or less. My dealer will give me at least 5% off even off new models.

If they don't give you a deal you can't afford to miss.......I would pass.

Phil

I am going to get flamed but... Have you considered buy an ML63? I would.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    I am going to get flamed but... Have you considered buy an ML63? I would.

I had a nasty experience with an ML430 in the late 90's - put me off completely - I should relook at it - the other option is the '07 X5 4.8 - drove it last w/end - very big improvement from an '02 4.4 that I owned. I also drove an '06 M5 yesterday - very impressive vehicle and although I had the M mode on and hauled it through the gears, my butt dyno says the 997 TT is significantly faster.
    I'm in no hurry to make a decision, so thanks for all the feedback and advice...

Been driving a Turbo S this week. Great handling but turbo lag a pain for real world driving.

I'm going for the Ord S with sports exhaust (turbo sounds anodyne) but tempted by the ML63 although wife has the ML500 and been unreliable and not much fun round the bends.

Quote:
    PSC said:

Been driving a Turbo S this week. Great handling but turbo lag a pain for real world driving.

I'm going for the Ord S with sports exhaust (turbo sounds anodyne) but tempted by the ML63 although wife has the ML500 and been unreliable and not much fun round the bends.

Half of the fun is the take off feeling when the twin turbos kick in. Sounds like you need to use the Tip buttons more. We had a Cayenne TT before, which I was not a huge fan of, but the TTS is truly awe inspiring to drive.

Quote:
    WetTT said:
    Cayenne 06 TTS vs
    ...My other option is wait for a facelifted Turbo around 2nd quarter '07...
    What to do?

...very SIMPLE dilemma... wait and get facelifted CayTT...

Facelifted CayTT will be priced LOWER, than current CayTTS, will have almost same power WITH ROOM TO UPGRADE to "powerkit CayTT" in a future and facelift brings NON MINOR car drivetrain changes/improvements...

...also EXPECT discounts on facelifted Cays. PORSCHE will try to keep MSRP without discounts at the facelift start, BUT MARKET will correct it very fast... and regular discounts will be realistic and EXPECTED for the new car...

OZRacing

Quote:
    bobr said:
    I opted for an 06 Cayenne S vs. waiting. The discounted price offered more than made up for the depreciation...I would not expect them to offer significant discounts on the 08.

Yes, the Cayenne Turbo doesn't keep up it's value anymore, it was different a year or two ago.

Right now I'm having the same "dilemma": current new Cayenne Turbo S at a very attractive price tag since dealer has to get rid of it (long story) or facelifted Cayenne Turbo around next summer since the first two facelifted Cayenne Turbo are already sold?

For me, the Cayenne is a family car. If I can get a good deal and a brandnew Cayenne which keeps me and the family going for the next three years, I'm sold on the Cayenne Turbo S which is also fully loaded with panoramic roof, rear camera, sport design package, etc. etc.
    Of course the new Cayenne Turbo will definetely be the better choice from a technical point of view. On the other hand, I'd have to pay at least 20000 Euro more for the same options, not to talk about the fact that as soon as the facelift hits the strees early next year, my current Turbo Powerkit will take another plunge downwards regarding resale value.

The wife already OKed the deal, I just have to find an agreement with the dealer because I have a VERY limited budget on this one.

Why not keep your current CTT? It has a lot of life left in it...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Yes RC, what's up with that? Wouldn't you be trading for pretty much the same thing you have now? I guess there is that new car smell, but ...

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Yes RC, what's up with that? Wouldn't you be trading for pretty much the same thing you have now? I guess there is that new car smell, but ...

Agree with above 2 comments.

The CTTS will not be much different than your powerkit CTT. You will regret for the next 3 years when the facelifted CTT is out.

I can see why some would consider it:

1. Turbo Lag fixed
    2. Ipod intergration
    3. Same power as CTTS but on 18" shoes for the winter

But i'm happy with my poor old 04 CTT

Quote:
    GM Austin said:

1. VERY attractive price tag for the Turbo S, I couldn't get a facelifted Cayenne Turbo for the same money with the same options (dealer wants to "get rid" of this car because he closes down).

2. 3% VAT increase in Germany by January 1st

3. very attractive offer for my "old" Cayenne Turbo

4. my Cayenne Turbo has already 50000 km, a new 2006 Cayenne is different than a 2004 Cayenne

5. again 2 years new car warranty (no worries)

6. no worries about family car for the next three years

Of course the facelifted Cayenne Turbo is very tempting, it has a lot of improvements, technical and optical. On the other hand, it would be impossible to get a fully loaded facelifted Cayenne Turbo for the same money AND my Cayenne Turbo would loose even more value when the first facelifted Cayenne show up on the streets.

Difficult decision...

RC, is the Turbo S you are talking about olive green?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    GM Austin said:

1. VERY attractive price tag for the Turbo S, I couldn't get a facelifted Cayenne Turbo for the same money with the same options (dealer wants to "get rid" of this car because he closes down).

2. 3% VAT increase in Germany by January 1st

3. very attractive offer for my "old" Cayenne Turbo

4. my Cayenne Turbo has already 50000 km, a new 2006 Cayenne is different than a 2004 Cayenne

5. again 2 years new car warranty (no worries)

6. no worries about family car for the next three years

Of course the facelifted Cayenne Turbo is very tempting, it has a lot of improvements, technical and optical. On the other hand, it would be impossible to get a fully loaded facelifted Cayenne Turbo for the same money AND my Cayenne Turbo would loose even more value when the first facelifted Cayenne show up on the streets.

Difficult decision...

A very simple question: does it make sense to you financially? If it does, do it.

Look like you are getting good financials on 3 sides... Then go for it...

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    RC, is the Turbo S you are talking about olive green?

Yes.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781424 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442704 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263420 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261772 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85890 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5948 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881535 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819263 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM