Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My new car arrived

After 11 months of waiting, my new daily use car finally arrived.. X5 4.6is. I will post some picture soon

Re: My new car arrived

Congrats!!
    That's a car that I really want. I was actually talking to my local BMW dealer about a 4.6is and incidently he said they have one in the show room Saphaire Black Metalic. He said they're very rear and they have had only 8 of them this year. The problem is that I really want the Imola Red one and they ain't got one now. This would hopefully replace our, no offense, crapy ML.
    William,
    Would you post your impression on the beauty that you just got please.

Imola Red

Re: Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Driving impression...

First off, I should compare to my ML500 and the X5 4.4 which I previously owned. The Turbo and the X5 is really a totally different car.

The major difference between the 4.6is and the 4.4 which I noticed right away to the lighten steering system. Yes it is 'much lighter' than the ML and the 4.4i. I thought they changed the rack and pinon to an recirculating ball. But the spec said is still the rack and pinon... I was quite confuse by why BMW would make a sportier SUV with a lighten steering. In fact, after I took delivery of the car, i drove into the service department and ask them to check it for me. They told me it is normal for the 4.6 be abit lighter. I guess i should do more research on it. The downside is that you don't get much feedback, but the steering feel is still very good.

Second different is the tiptronic, the downshift and upshift is oppsite to my 4.4i.. That was quite confusing too.. Why? The downshift used to move the shifter down and the 4.6 is up. But thats just need getting used to.

Handling wise is a best point of the car. I bought the car to some twisty moutain roads around the country side. It has very little roll and the best part is... The car is actually oversteer bias!! I have been able to execute some 4 wheel drift around some hairpin, which my old 4.4 will push understeer helplessly. I still can't imagine i was driving a SUV. Power output is so responsive. Just a small tap on the throttle and the car power out the corner. The car have 210miles on it now and the sidewall of the tires starting to wear :P The suspension also tuned up abit, but the ride quality of the car is still consider comfortable, actually more comfortable than my ML. I think the 20inch wheels add some road noise... thats about it.

The engine according to what I know is that it was an Alpina design which BMW bought. I was quite skeptical at first by how little displacement they increased with such big difference in performance number. But in real life, the car felt alot more powerful. Even tho the engine is based on the 4.4, they are actually quite different. Partly I suspect is the gear ratio different. The first time you rev it up to redline (which I am not suppose to :P) I can feel the real power kick in around 4 to 6K rpm. It is a higher rev engine then the 4.4i which the power dies down around 5000rpm. To compare to the ML55, the 5.5L engine seem to have more low-end torque where as the 4.6 have abit more momentum at high rpm. I should say the ML55 engine felt explosive where the X5 4.6 felt quick.

The transmission is also faster respond. It really give you a very sporty feel when push hard.

When I was driving back home tonight in the highway, i wanted to test the top end of the car in G.B. Highway. Well, at 140mph on the speedo, the RPM is at 4000 rpm in forth gear. I can't imagine what it will be like when I unleash the full potential of the car... scary fast for a SUV.

I think the only improvement for the 4.6 is the steering feel. But other than that. I can't find any SUV I love more Let's hope the Cayenne will not take that away from the X5...

Congrats!

Just out of curiosity why didn't you wait for the Cayenne Turbo?

Very nice (NT)

Re: Here is why

good question

I was thinking about it, but one thing I concern more on a SUV is quality. I find the X5 4.6 is one of the best compromise between performance/luxury/comfort. Another thing about the Cayenne, which is subjective of course, is the physical apperence of the Cayenne Turbo. I really didn't like the look of it.

For Daily use, I would prefer a Mercedes, BMW or even VW with the new W12 engine. I somehow don't trust Porsche can make a complete SUV for road use, even VW help and did all the design. For performance technology and suspension, I can assume the Cayenne Turbo will be much sophicated than the 4.6. But then, that's not the objective for me to buy a SUV.

Similarly, if you want to buy a 4 door luxury car with good peformance, you will choose a E55 rather than a Porsche 4 door car with better peformance, because most likely he will not need that extra bit of sportiness on a sedan instead he will buy another 'sport car' of his choice.

How's your trip to NY?

Re: Imola Red

I think they are still taking order, but I am not so sure about how long you have to wait for one. Imola red do look very sporty and the spoiler are much more obvious then my black.

I ordered mine last summer. Long wait....

William

The 4.6is isn't faster than the ML55, why didn't you order a Cayenne Turbo?
    Or why didn't you go for this little baby?

Brabus 6.1 - 426 HP

Re: I like the Brabus

7.2L AMG engine... I called the California dealership and they told me the price and they are selling it for 145K US dollars !! For an SUV...

I will wait until the Cayenne Turbo out and maybe I will end up with one instead Who knows... I really have to drive and see it in real life.

Yes, The 4.6is doesn't seem any faster than the ML55 in the staight away, especially the low-end torque range. But The handling, fit and finish of the car is really nice. I am going to be one of those crazy nuts this weekend and bring the car to the race track...

william's right-- IMHO BMW invented the "sports" utility vehicle. i personally drive a X5 4.4i and it's thruout a nice car. great interieur, agressive appearance, good quality. and btw: due to the stiff X5 suspension, my carrera seems to be more comfortable

and if we compare the X5 and the cayenne, we have to keep out the turbo. the 4.6is is the car that has to be beaten by the cayenne s. and that the porsche pricing is a lot lower than we all expected... maybe because porsche already knows who's gonna win this match

and for me (please, guys, don't take this to serious!!) the cayenne is a "VW customized by porsche"

In reply to:
    and for me (please, guys, don't take this to serious!!) the cayenne is a "VW customized by porsche"

I agree as much as Cayenne is a Porsche, but even in pictures X5 looks more aggressive.

Re: I like the Brabus

There is no 7.2 l AMG engine on the ML.
    The only AMG engine for the ML is the 5.5 l engine.

The 6.1 l engine Brabus is using is their own development.

Re: wait a minute

I am more than 100% certain there is a V12 ML7.3L from Brabus, Its actually based on the 600 or the AMG engine where Brabus took in the devlopment. My friend actually bought one in hong kong.

Its around 589hp and over 800nm of torque... Its FAST!!

Re: What I concern the most,

Is what BMW's plan to compete with the Cayenne Turbo, I personally assume BMW will be smart enough to keep the X5 chassis as it is now. There are no reason to redesign the whole chassis since its so competent. Maybe minor design and a "new 500HP SMG" in the X5 to compete. Then I will be pissed

The good thing is i haven't heard anything yet, actually I think BMW will still keep the 4.6is as little production as possible and subtle. In 2 yrs, Minor facelift and use the 4.6is to compete with the S.

The main reason I like about the X5 is the subtle looks i guess. One guy walked out a X5 4.4 and he said " The 3.0 look quite nice also) Another encouter with a ML55, he also thought it was an inline 6.. Don't you just love it.

How about a V12 Le Mans version of the X5 with around 600HP?

This car is fast!! i heard they beat many sport cars in nurburgring

I don't think it will going to be in production and no automatic

In my post, couple weeks ago, it did mention that they just wanted to see the X5 potential. And yes you are right this car will not see the production line.
    However after Cayenne Turbo you'd never know what the Bavarian car maker has in its sleeve?

Having lived with an X-5 for 18 months ( it is my first BMW) all I can say is that it is will be my last BMW. Between the recalls, poor dealer service (all the dealers in DC area, and corp. BMW's response) and lack of quality I have been very disapointed. The drive train is the best thing about it, but while the design appears to be first rate the execution is GM like. Changing from the other cars to the X-5 shows to me BMW did miss the mark, in particular the steering. I am looking forward to Porsche's attempt.

A little comparison

Re: wait a minute

There was a V12 ML from Brabus, apparently they don't offer one anymore, at least not officially.

But this engine doesn't have ANYTHING to do with AMG.

AMG doesn't work with Tuners, there is no development cooperation between AMG and Brabus.

I know some dealers, especially outside Germany, tell customers little stories about this and that but there is definfetely NO cooperation between Mercedes/AMG and Tuners.

There is also NO cooperation whatsover between Porsche and Tuners, some Tuners are even on Porsche's "black list".

Some Mercedes dealers sell Brabus items and even Brabus cars but this is more something Mercedes tolerates but this is no official policy.

I agree

The X5 4.6is has a much better handling than the ML55 and build quality (especially the interior) is worlds ahead on the X5.
    The ML55's interior looks almost "cheap" compared to the X5's.

With a SUV to the race track? C'mon, William. You can't be serious.

Re: as the matter of fact

I had a small encouter with a ML55 in the highway... In full accrelation, the ML55 was about 1 car lenght ahead of me. The 5.5L engine is definelty quicker than the 4.6is in the staight away.

I had a crazy idea, if the X5 actually come with the 5.5L engine. It will be a blast.

As a family car for kids like yourself, I would love to have the ML55..

Out of all the BMW I ever owned, I only liked the X5. Most other BMW I was really disappointed, Mercedes are far aheard in term of quality devolopment. Even in Germany (as RC will say The BMW is not as popular as Mercedes or even VW.

I actually never consider a BMW until the X5, i should say the only BMW I will ever owned.

A small question tho, which SUV would you choose right now that you would consider the most complete?

BMW X5 in heavy off-road conditions

William, there's another interesting aspect. I tested a X5 in heavy off-road conditions and I have to admit that I was really impressed, especially when it comes to traction. I also tested a ML55, which does not even come close to the abilities of the X5. The X5 is unbelievable as long as the clearance is not the problem.

Re: I think the 4.4 is a good offroad car,

but my car come standard with 20inch, high perforomance tires.... offroad capbility maybe even worse than the ML55 :P

I almost forgot, you got a free X5 for a couple of days

Re: BMW X5 in heavy off-road conditions

That's really impressive I always thought Land Rover Defender is the one that handle stuff like that, but after seeing this picture WOW!

Re: BMW X5 in heavy off-road conditions

The guy on the X5's steering wheel is CR himself...personally.

I still wonder how he did that because every comparison test between the X5 and ML I read, said that the X5 doesn't even come close to the ML's offroad capabilities. And CR seems to have a completely different experience.
    I also have been to the mountains last winter and we drove with several SUVs, including a BMW X5 to a dog sled race up in the mountains. There was big snow near our camp and the only car which had no problems to get out the parking lot was our ML55. The other SUVs, including two Mitsubishi Pajero, one Toyota Landcruiser and an old Cherokee couldn't get out the parking lot. They had to call a Tractor.
    I simply "burned" my way through the snow, the power on the ML55 is unbelievable. All cars had winter tires (incl. our ML), the Landcruiser had all-weather tires (actually heavy terrain tires).
    You should have seen the faces of these guys.

BTW, William: BMW's reputation in Germany is pretty good.
    Especially people in the 30s and 40s drive BMW, it is considered to be a "dynamic" and luxurious car.
    VW has a worse reputation and Mercedes has a good reputation but it depends on the age.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777186 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441684 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260944 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85216 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880651 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM