Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Again: Rumor about more powerful Boxster

Got this in today: Boxster RS, aprox. 320-330 HP, available starting with MY 2009 with a possible facelift (latest MY 2010).

Re: Again: Rumor about more powerful Boxster

sounds like my next car
    Will the RS version come in addition to the "S" or will it replace the "S" ? MY 2009 IMO sounds a bit early for a general replacement of the current 987 series - but then, Boxster sales have been going down since a while, perhaps PAG feels some pressure to go for an early "update"

Quote:
    RC said:
    Got this in today: Boxster RS, aprox. 320-330 HP, available starting with MY 2009 with a possible facelift (latest MY 2010).

WoW, I thought for an instance the 2007 models where starting to be old (thanks god !!) its for 2010!!!!

It has to be a G R E A T sportscar then !

Quote:
    RC said:

Now we're talking . Thanks RC.

I agree! The 911 needs a serious power boost now to justify the extra price. Porsche will no doubt be able to sell the Boxster RS as fast as it can make it.

For now, the 987S and the GT3 are the best value right now.

WOW!this could be my new beast!!!!! more power,LSD with the plaesure of soft-top!

Quote:
    RC said:

Thanks RC.

Porsche...IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

Seriously, ABOUT TIME!

RS for MY09 - might as well withdraw mt letter, i'm not waiting that long, assuming the Cayman RS is a similar timescale

so a RS for every model lines...

the dragons are awake now

Quote:
    JuanCarlos said:
    Seriously, ABOUT TIME!

Boxster RS

An LSd and a lot more BHP & NM - excellent! A better mid range would help those overtaking moves too!!

Sounds good!

Quote:
    RC said:

If true, does this place the Cayman on the endangered species list?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

If true, does this place the Cayman on the endangered species list?

There will always be a market for a relatively cheap (compared to the only other mid engined car in the line up CGT) mid engined coupe in the lineup.

It would be amusing and horrifying at the same time to see Porsche turning their RS marque into a AMG/M - as in there was an RS version of every model line... don't think it will happen.

Cayman RS before Boxster?

If the Cayman is meant to be more of a track car than the Boxster surely Porsche would be more likely to launch a Cayman RS before a Boxster RS, or am I missing something???

Re: Cayman RS before Boxster?

Cayman RS would be nice.....

Le Chef, I think your logic is spot on. We may have incomplete facts...that's the only explanation I can think of.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    If the Cayman is meant to be more of a track car than the Boxster surely Porsche would be more likely to launch a Cayman RS before a Boxster RS, or am I missing something???

Yes, you're missing something.

1. the "track" cars in Porsche's model program are the 997 GT3/GT3RS and 997 GT2 (available next year).

2. the Cayman would pose more of a direct "threat" to the 911 than the Boxster, hence: Boxster RS first.

Like I said in my first post: these are RUMORS and a lot of things can happen, incl. a Cayman RS BEFORE a possible Boxster RS.
    First thing which needs to happen though is to raise the power of the current 997 models, something which will happen with the next facelift due around latest MY 2009.

A last word: I don't understand why some people are viewing the Cayman as a "track" car. The Cayman is a Boxster Coupe and both, the Boxster and Boxster Coupe have never been developped for track racing, like it or not. Even the 911 Carrera is somehow "limited" in his track capabilities since the engine doesn't have a "true" dry sump oil lubrification.

RC, surprisingly the Cayman is turning into a popular amateur,semi pro and club racer. The factory might not be interested, but others are. People arent waiting for some Porsche racing program Sesselfurzer to decide to develope a trackable model. That could take another decade, if at all!

The oiling issue is handled with aftermarket parts, the power steering track overheating issue is solved with a
    underdrive pulley and racers prefer starting with a coupe instead of having to add a detachable hardtop on a Boxster.

If Porsche did choose to offer a Cayman GT they would likely have no problem selling them. Lots of people apparently want to race a mid engine Porsche.

Until Porsche acts, the Cayman will remain Porsche's red haired step child racer. Is a Cayman racer a logical idea? You decide!

A Cayman RS or Boxster RS could just be a marketing tactic and not a real track weapon.

No Cayman NERVENSÄGE intended !!!!!

Wow fantastic :P

NICE! Would make a whole lot of sense too (think of SLK AMG63 & M roadster). ... Add PDK + PASM and I am on the list.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    People arent waiting for some Porsche racing program Sesselfurzer to decide to develope a trackable model.
    No Cayman NERVENSÄGE intended !!!!!

Jim, your German is improving a lot
    How does your dictionary translate Sesselfurzer and Nervensäge into English
    Agree with your comments on the subject - if customers decide to transform their Cayman into a track toy, why not ?
    There are even two Pro Raceteams in Germany working on a Cayman racecar project - future will tell whether they'll be successful. If there will be 987 RS variants in the future, they will be made for street use in the first place for sure, but maybe these RS variants will be a better platform for those who want to transform their cars into a track toy.

Thanks Porsche Jeck!

I found them in a British newspaper.

Im not sure if these are in a dictionary. Sesselfurzer is "chair farter" - a senior, deskbound person who always knows better. Nervensäge (nerve saw) is someone or a topic that is a pain in the a%%.

The Goethe Institute in London is having a Wörterwanderung "experiment" and will publish the winners on Friday.

There are some other cool German expressions and info at http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/foreign/kateconnolly/dec06/germanlanguage.htm

Lol, too funny these expressions :-)

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    RC, surprisingly the Cayman is turning into a popular amateur,semi pro and club racer.

The Cayman is somehow "cheap" compared to the 911 and it performs pretty well, I agree. You can make the hell of a track car out of the Cayman but unfortunately Porsche never has planned this, meaning that the track mods come with a price. If the mods aren't done properly, I can see problems with body cracks and other surprises pretty soon. Not even starting to talk about the engine because the usage of slicks would be "deadly".

The US always has had a different approach regarding track racing Porsche cars, look at the 924, the 944 or even the older 914, etc. You will never see such track modded cars over here in Germany, maybe because we still have a certain tie to "tradition" regarding Porsche cars, making it almost impossible to do extreme mods on Boxsters/Caymans without risking to make yourself the laughing stock of the local track racing scene.

RC, this may have slipped from your memory, but the 924 had the 924GT, the 944's had some factory backed 951 racers and the 968 had the RS model. All factory supported cars and some factory made, prepped and driven.

So far the 987/986 variants are the only Porsche sportscar models without a factory endorsed racing pedigree. That is shameful.

As for racing slicks and the relatively el cheapo box that they call a motor in the 986/987, they are compatible with a different oil pick up and a different oil pan, wich just happen to be made for it in the US, or you can spend a few thousand on a aftermarket dry sump unit.

Porsche might want to chill about marketing hierarchy and product positioning and realize that racing consumers are passing them by. Small market yes, important to Porsche? They should own it. They can afford to and it makes them look bad for not doing so. They certainly have the money to do so.

Instead we await the mini Cayanne based upon the VW Tiguan

Why "RS"?

Calling a more powerful Boxster an "RS" seems to debase/dilute the whole proposition of the name. Why not do a lightweight version of the Boxster and call it "CS" as Porsche did with the 968? That would seem more in keeping and leave "RS" to the track dedicated models like the GT3RS.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    RC, surprisingly the Cayman is turning into a popular amateur,semi pro and club racer.

The Cayman is somehow "cheap" compared to the 911 and it performs pretty well, I agree. You can make the hell of a track car out of the Cayman but unfortunately Porsche never has planned this, meaning that the track mods come with a price. If the mods aren't done properly, I can see problems with body cracks and other surprises pretty soon. Not even starting to talk about the engine because the usage of slicks would be "deadly".

The US always has had a different approach regarding track racing Porsche cars, look at the 924, the 944 or even the older 914, etc. You will never see such track modded cars over here in Germany, maybe because we still have a certain tie to "tradition" regarding Porsche cars, making it almost impossible to do extreme mods on Boxsters/Caymans without risking to make yourself the laughing stock of the local track racing scene.

Maybe it's because of my proximity but I see a good amount of track prepped 914's and 944's at the 'Ring

Either way now I have something to look forward to when it comes time to get another new Porsche

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Lol, too funny these expressions :-)

Who said Germans don't have a sense of humor
    @ Jim: there will be a book published soon (if I recall correctly the title will be "Ausgewanderte Wörter" (emigrated words) - I'll get it for sure During my frequent business trips I oftenly have been wondering how the strangest German expressions have made it into some foreign countries (you find them even in Japan)
    The funny thing is that most foreign users of those expressions are not aware of the fact that they are of German origin
    Sorry for going OT, but I love these language tricks
    Back on topic: the Boxster RS will be a "Knüller"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761810 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435052 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260333 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80885 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871894 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807256 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM