Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Update on Cargraphic exhaust experience

Here's a little update on the experience with the Cargraphic sport exhaust for the 997 Turbo (200 cell cats, OBD2 compliant, TÜV "sound version"):

1. the first couple of kms were pretty disappointing, the sound was too "low", it also created some vibrations in the interior, causing some interior noises.

2. exhaust seems to work perfect, no engine warning light coming on and I just checked the motronic after over 800 km with the exhaust with the PiWiS and there are no problems saved, nothing...so it really seems to be engineered very well.

3. apparently power/torque has increased in a certain rev range, I saw 1.0 bar boost pressure much more frequently than before when fully accelerating, usually I get 0.9 to 1.0 bar. So it is possible that the 21 HP power gain claim and 20 Nm torque gain claim may be accurate but ONLY in a certain rev range, so don't add it to the maximum power/torque figure.

4. for the 997 Turbo TIP, this exhaust seems to add a slightly better acceleration response when starting from standstill, this is really one of the improvements I felt immediately. Apparently there is much more torque available slightly over the idle rev figure.

5. finally, the exhaust got louder and "clear/crispier" in sound, the low tone didn't disappear completely but it is much better now and even at very low rev figures, the exhaust started to sound nice. Interesting enough is the fact, that the exhaust sounds MUCH nicer from the outside than from the inside, bear this in mind when you own one (let your mechanic or a friend drive your car on a parking lot and you'll realize immediately what I mean).

6. at rev figures above 4000 rpm, the exhaust sounds like a racing exhaust, very loud with a high pitch tone and also interesting: you hear "sucking" and "blowing off" sounds all the time, apparently Porsche tried to "cover" these sounds with their OEM exhaust. These sounds may annoy some people, personally I just LOVE them, they remind me of "classic" Turbo cars.

Two days ago, when it was pretty cold over here (only 2*C), I encountered two times some sort of "stuttering" at almost the maximum rev figure with a pretty high boost pressure (1.1 bar at over 6000 rpm). First I thought that this may be a problem caused by the exhaust, later on I may have figured out that the PSM was actually coming on...in SECOND gear. Ouch. Not 100% sure about this, we're looking into it but since the PiWiS didn't show any problems, I suppose the AWD setup on the 997 Turbo isn't really 100% fool proof.

The street was dry and no, no ice/frost yet (temp. at night weren't below 0*C).

Re: Update on Cargraphic exhaust experience

RC, What pipes did you fit - OEM or Cargraphic? If you fitted Cargraphic pipes any discolouration? I have ordered the same exhaust with chrome ovals from Cargraphic. Sorry to here its 2Deg C where you are....today its 18Deg C and we're nearly at mid winter!!

Quote:
    cortonpark said:
    RC, What pipes did you fit - OEM or Cargraphic? If you fitted Cargraphic pipes any discolouration? I have ordered the same exhaust with chrome ovals from Cargraphic. Sorry to here its 2Deg C where you are....today its 18Deg C and we're nearly at mid winter!!

Apparently, the rear pipes from Cargraphic (I wanted the round twin pipes) aren't available yet, so I'm using the OEM rear pipes. Works pretty well.

A couple of days ago, we had 2*C, now we have again 12*C and a week ago we had over 20*C. Very unusual for Bavaria at this time of the year, according to the newspapers, we had the warmest period since weather data is recorded.

I'm afraid this may indicate a very harsh winter, well...I'm prepared.

Christian,thanks for your update

Quote:
    RC said:
    Here's a little update on the experience with the Cargraphic sport exhaust for the 997 Turbo (200 cell cats, OBD2 compliant, TÜV "sound version"):

1. the first couple of kms were pretty disappointing, the sound was too "low", it also created some vibrations in the interior, causing some interior noises.

2. exhaust seems to work perfect, no engine warning light coming on and I just checked the motronic after over 800 km with the exhaust with the PiWiS and there are no problems saved, nothing...so it really seems to be engineered very well.

3. apparently power/torque has increased in a certain rev range, I saw 1.0 bar boost pressure much more frequently than before when fully accelerating, usually I get 0.9 to 1.0 bar. So it is possible that the 21 HP power gain claim and 20 Nm torque gain claim may be accurate but ONLY in a certain rev range, so don't add it to the maximum power/torque figure.

4. for the 997 Turbo TIP, this exhaust seems to add a slightly better acceleration response when starting from standstill, this is really one of the improvements I felt immediately. Apparently there is much more torque available slightly over the idle rev figure.

5. finally, the exhaust got louder and "clear/crispier" in sound, the low tone didn't disappear completely but it is much better now and even at very low rev figures, the exhaust started to sound nice. Interesting enough is the fact, that the exhaust sounds MUCH nicer from the outside than from the inside, bear this in mind when you own one (let your mechanic or a friend drive your car on a parking lot and you'll realize immediately what I mean).

6. at rev figures above 4000 rpm, the exhaust sounds like a racing exhaust, very loud with a high pitch tone and also interesting: you hear "sucking" and "blowing off" sounds all the time, apparently Porsche tried to "cover" these sounds with their OEM exhaust. These sounds may annoy some people, personally I just LOVE them, they remind me of "classic" Turbo cars.

Two days ago, when it was pretty cold over here (only 2*C), I encountered two times some sort of "stuttering" at almost the maximum rev figure with a pretty high boost pressure (1.1 bar at over 6000 rpm). First I thought that this may be a problem caused by the exhaust, later on I may have figured out that the PSM was actually coming on...in SECOND gear. Ouch. Not 100% sure about this, we're looking into it but since the PiWiS didn't show any problems, I suppose the AWD setup on the 997 Turbo isn't really 100% fool proof.

The street was dry and no, no ice/frost yet (temp. at night weren't below 0*C).

Thanks for the update, I am gonna chime in for the US members who are considering the loud export version of cargraphic. I had mine installed very recently and put around 300 miles on it. I have one word to describe it: unbelievable, inside and outside the car, plus quicker throttle response and better acceleration. Also, no droning or resonnance in the cabin at any rpm, just nice roars and burbles. Well worth the money. A lot of my porsche friends compared it to the old school air cooled engine sounds but much much louder. I love it.

aah986..I suspect you got your system from RSS in Costa Mesa. I have one there on backorder pending delivery of my tt around 12/20. Can I come down to S.D. sometime next week to hear what it sounds like. Pls email back to JimE60@antex.com

Quote:
    JimE55 said:
    aah986..I suspect you got your system from RSS in Costa Mesa. I have one there on backorder pending delivery of my tt around 12/20. Can I come down to S.D. sometime next week to hear what it sounds like. Pls email back to JimE60@antex.com

e-mailed you back.

RC could we please hear a sound clip. That would be awesome, Thanks.

Quote:
    trip said:

Yes please!

Quote:
    trip said:

I try to do that sometimes next week. My wife isn't willing to do it (shame on her ), so I have to rely on a friend.

Thabk you, I have only heard a very breif clip of the cargraphic exhaust but it sounded really nice.

Quote:
    trip said:
    Thabk you, I have only heard a very breif clip of the cargraphic exhaust but it sounded really nice.

Just keep in mind when you hear my sound file that I have a streetlegal TÜV sound version which may not sound as loud as the export version.

Any pics of stock vs Cargraphic exhausts side by side ?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

I try to do that sometimes next week. My wife isn't willing to do it (shame on her ), so I have to rely on a friend.

Just call me

When I get mine, I'll try to post a sound clip. Mine will be the export version.

Mine should be arriving next week so I hope I can fit it before Christmas. Its the sport exhaust so if RC doesn't get somebody to do a sound clip I will

I'm getting a Tubi sports exhaust fitted to my TT on wedneday next week direct from Italy so will post my inpressions as I am on a Porsche TT driving course at the Millbrook training ground on Friday next week.I think the supplier in the US is champion motorsport who Tubi tell me have ordered nearly all the first 6 months production , I was very lucky to get one to the UK market.

Quote:
    KF said:
    Just call me

I may actually take your offer.

http://www.turbo911.com/images/IAexhaustclip_0002.wmv

RC..how about this one??? at the end of the clip he steps on it

Quote:
    MarcusRay said:

Unfortunately the music is louder than the exhaust.
    I don't like the GT3 front on the 997 Turbo too much, this looks like aftermarket again. I also don't get the front plate, in German this actually means something very stupid.

oh ic

RC you must tell us what it means. I don't like the gt3 nose on the turbo either, it does not flow well with the line of the car.

Has anyone else noticed the different exhaust note when sports mode is selected?

Quote:
    trip said:
    RC you must tell us what it means. I don't like the gt3 nose on the turbo either, it does not flow well with the line of the car.

Stephen from Imagine Auto shouldn't have used the Google translation software . Sich einbilden basically means "to imagine something that isn't true". So they can imagine that the GT3 nose looks hot and the music in the video is cool, but the almighty license plate knows better .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

Stephen from Imagine Auto shouldn't have used the Google translation software . Sich einbilden basically means "to imagine something that isn't true". So they can imagine that the GT3 nose looks hot and the music in the video is cool, but the almighty license plate knows better .

Ja, ganz recht. Ironisch.

That was 5 minutes I'll never get back.....

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MarcusRay said:

Unfortunately the music is louder than the exhaust.
    I don't like the GT3 front on the 997 Turbo too much, this looks like aftermarket again. I also don't get the front plate, in German this actually means something very stupid.

how about this one RC? I know it ain't a Porsche but still it's good enough

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=298091&an=0&page=0#298091

Quote:
    JimE55 said:

Hey Jim, it was very nice meeting you today. I think you can now make a better decision regarding the cargraphic loud version. (I also hope my driving didn't scare you much).
    Good luck

Thanks for the RIDE Anthony. Not the fastest I've ever been in a P car but by far the fastest I've ever been on the 405. Thanks again for taking time out on a weekend to show me your car.

Have I missed the update regarding the'tubi'!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781224 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442649 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263399 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261734 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85859 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5935 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881490 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819109 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM