Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

Demand is huge indeed...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Demand is huge indeed...

This is all very funny... How many of those who would like to have a GT2RS did drive the old GT2RS (or even the normal 997 GT2) and know what kind of car they desire to get... My speculation would be: less than 25% of all interested persons. I would also speculate that most people would be disappointed when they finally got a GT2RS as the car is very different from what they expected.

A GT2RS is quite underwhelming. It is very precise and fast. But if you handed it out to your friend for a test drive chances are high he would feel underwhelmed... 

And based on what we know about the production numbers it will certainly be no collectible either.

So the question to me is: why is demand so high Smiley

Demand is high for various reasons:

1. Object for speculators in the hope of a high profit since there were rumors that the car is limited to 1000 cars.

2. Very rare model (only comes out once every couple of years and only produced for a short time).

3. Most powerful 911 road car ever from Porsche, 700 hp.

4. Very martial looking design, people love that on a 911, especially when it comes to special models.

5. Hope of getting the ultimate 911 track tool (which of course we all know that it won't be...)

There are so many reasons...

Got my lease numbers yesterday, I could even "afford" the car, surprisingly. Not even sure though why I am looking at it because I almost know for sure that I wouldn't be happy with it (don't get me wrong, fantastic car...similar to Turbo S but we all know that I changed a lot lately).

Selling it for profit? Well, why should I lie, it came to my mind. Not me though, also too risky (for me), I'm no speculator. Sorry. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Different tracks, , differnt cars..... GT2RS for fast tracks and .2GT3RS for more technical trackskiss

Seruisly, if you have the funds, why wouldn't you want this car???cheeky Well, if your in to Audi, it makes sense ()but I'm totally in to Porsche, so why wouldn't I want the top of the line car, no matter if it's limited or not?

I buy my cars to drive them and don't calculate on making money on a car deal. Never had before, so that's not an issue. But to have this kind of car and have the opportunity to learn and practice to handle it (on track) the best I can is a very desirable challange for me, hence my demand for the GT2 RS.

And maybe there are more "farmers" out there creating this demand? smiley

The farmer:

Different tracks, , differnt cars..... GT2RS for fast tracks and .2GT3RS for more technical trackskiss

Seruisly, if you have the funds, why wouldn't you want this car???cheeky Well, if your in to Audi, it makes sense ()but I'm totally in to Porsche, so why wouldn't I want the top of the line car, no matter if it's limited or not?

Let's be honest (now that I decided not to get it 100%): I would have leased it (Weissach package car, fully loaded) for 30 months, initial payment would have been affordable (125k EUR) and monthly lease rates ridiculously low (what was really a lot was the remaining payment of close to 200k EUR). After 12 months (minimum keeping period according to my contract and registration over same period of time), I would have sold it (lease company, not Porsche, would have allowed me to buy out the car at a certain "fee"...), hopefully at a profit. Yes, I thought about it and already checked the numbers but for me, it is too risky and what happens if I actually like the car? Smiley I cannot keep the R8 and the GT2 RS, impossible and my wife, I discussed it with her (a lot of money, I had to...), said that I should leave the car at a safe location and not drive it until I sell it (which would have made sense). I am no speculator, so I am glad I didn't do it.

I'd rather use my good contacts for the "960"... (if and when it comes). Smiley

I buy my cars to drive them and don't calculate on making money on a car deal. Never had before, so that's not an issue. But to have this kind of car and have the opportunity to learn and practice to handle it (on track) the best I can is a very desirable challange for me, hence my demand for the GT2 RS.

Same here but the GT2 RS would have been a different story. I do not really feel attracted by this car, sorry...and I love my R8 too much to give it away. So it would have been a deal for the sake of a...deal but this is not me, sorry.

Smiley  Smiley

--

The farmer:

First assumption is: you need the time to use the car.

Second assumption is: the car will depreciate (no typkng error...) and this relates to point one above.

Combining point 1 and 2 you could ask yourself (as an example) if the 720s is the better choice. Why should you have both if you cannot use all the cars often enough anyhow and they are basically just consumables that will decline in value. If the 720s should also be faster on the track (it is faster in the straight line) many Porsche fans would think about the above logic very intensely...

Let me be blunt here: If we are talking serious track racing (amateur), you can take a R8 V10 Plus for somewhat little money, strip it down to bare metal (I know a guy who can do whatever you want), add a H&R coiler kit, Trofeo R tires and you easily destroy probably most of the cars out there on the track.  The R8 road car shares 51(!)% of the parts with the R8 LMS race car, the engine is 100% identical (LMS version has a different injection system and has an air restrictor to limit power). How many parts does the GT3 or the GT2 RS share with any particular Porsche race car? Smiley

There is a reason why people choose a GT3/GT3 RS and this isn't always about the price only. The reputation of this car probably plays 90% of the role in the buying decision and the fact that the GT3/GT3 RS (and now maybe GT2 RS) are basically road cars which are also fantastic track tools, of course means something as well.

--

nberry:

You must be one of the worlds greatest drivers on the internet. 

Answer this question. Why do all major super sport cars with high hp have electronic nannies? Is it because the car is safe without them?  

You are twisting my words, I said modern cars with high power were safer BECAUSE they have mandatory safety electronics, the under powered older cars did not have.

Now you are changing the premise of this discussion, of course a car with more power (and no electronic safety net) is more difficult to handle then the less powered but this is not what was argued here.

As for my driving skills, I believe 42 years behind the wheel in all climate conditions and 2 years at Team FIAT (1979-1981) gives me a little bit more skill then someone fresh from driving school or driving occasionally. 

You yourself may be a better driver then me, I don't know that but I was only stating the simple logic.

Do you also believe guns kill people or is it the folks behind the trigger?

MKSGR:
    RC:

Demand is huge indeed...

This is all very funny... How many of those who would like to have a GT2RS did drive the old GT2RS (or even the normal 997 GT2) and know what kind of car they desire to get... My speculation would be: less than 25% of all interested persons. I would also speculate that most people would be disappointed when they finally got a GT2RS as the car is very different from what they expected.

A GT2RS is quite underwhelming. It is very precise and fast. But if you handed it out to your friend for a test drive chances are high he would feel underwhelmed... 

And based on what we know about the production numbers it will certainly be no collectible either.

I believe a large number of these people are still fascinated by the huge return on the 911 R and are hoping for similar gain.

absent:
    MKSGR:
    RC:

Demand is huge indeed...

I believe a large number of these people are still fascinated by the huge return on the 911 R and are hoping for similar gain.

Very possible...like that comment "getting a GT2 RS allocation is like a jackpot in the lottery". I am still very skeptical though, maybe one of the reasons (and the fact that I am not a speculator and no mulit-millionaire either) I didn't go for it. Non-limited (by numbers) production, not so special tech (in my opinion), the risk is too big (for me).

--

anyone knows about suspension settings in terms of road drivability? comparable to the GT3RS? softer or harder? whoopsy maybe?

"getting a GT2 RS allocation is like a jackpot in the lottery".

That's the reality. You should check again your Porsche sources and also chat with the big unofficial supercar dealers who provide for the very rich spoiled clients...

The GT2 RS is already a collectible and is practically sold-out. It might take a while for some people to realize it.

absent:
    nberry:

You must be one of the worlds greatest drivers on the internet. 

Answer this question. Why do all major super sport cars with high hp have electronic nannies? Is it because the car is safe without them?  

You are twisting my words, I said modern cars with high power were safer BECAUSE they have mandatory safety electronics, the under powered older cars did not have.

Now you are changing the premise of this discussion, of course a car with more power (and no electronic safety net) is more difficult to handle then the less powered but this is not what was argued here.

As for my driving skills, I believe 42 years behind the wheel in all climate conditions and 2 years at Team FIAT (1979-1981) gives me a little bit more skill then someone fresh from driving school or driving occasionally. 

You yourself may be a better driver then me, I don't know that but I was only stating the simple logic.

Do you also believe guns kill people or is it the folks behind the trigger?

I am a mediocre driver and given your stated experience you'll probably drive circles around me. That said, I have driven my share of high hp cars and watched some of the best drivers drive them. When WR can crash CGT on a track more than once it tells me the car is unmanageable at times for even the best. The GGT has 612 hp. The GT2 has 700. Disengage the PSM and you have a recipe for disaster. 

I was waiting for the argument regarding guns. Totally different issues and this is not the place to discuss. But to answer your question, yes guns are dangerous. 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Herbaliser:

That's the reality. You should check again your Porsche sources and also chat with the big unofficial supercar dealers who provide for the very rich spoiled clients...

The GT2 RS is already a collectible and is practically sold-out. It might take a while for some people to realize it.

What a nonsense - sorry... Even if you had a 997 GT2RS with very low mileage the car would be no "jackpot in the lottery". You might still sell it for slightly above list price (the prices came down quite a bit) - but taking into account the opportunity cost of capital, the necessary maintenance cost to date etc. even the 997 GT2RS can hardly be called "a good investment".

And the GT2RS was produced in much smaller numbers (500 units), last edition of Mezger engine, last edition of manual etc....

Truth is: the 991 GT2RS is a great car if one loves the concept and how the GT2 models feel and drive. However, the McLaren 720s might be faster even on the track - we need tests to verify this. The GT2RS has the benefit of the doubt for the time being as I am convinced it will be super quick on the track and McLaren needs to proof that their suspension/ESP works better now.

The 991 GT2RS is surely no "jackpot in the lottery", reflecting on the above thoughts - although interested parties have an interest in making people believe otherwise Smiley If you buy it you should buy it as you like the drive feel of the GT2 models.

Herbaliser:

I know that but I wouldn't want (or better: couldn't) to keep the GT2 RS if I can't sell it for a profit, so why bother and risk a financial disaster? 

Yes, I will probably regret not getting one, so what? I missed the 918, I missed the 911R...so... Smiley Smiley

If I would want one to drive it, I would get one of course (if I could afford it but I cannot afford both, a GT2 RS and the R8 and I'm definitely more attracted to the R8, as unbelievable this may sound).

--

pmarkow:

anyone knows about suspension settings in terms of road drivability? comparable to the GT3RS? softer or harder? whoopsy maybe?

They have another 5 months or so before they lock down the spec for production. What the suspension is like now may not be the same when they start.

They still have to do the Ring in Sept., after that they might lockdown the suspension settings. 

I suspect the end result will be close to GT3RS.

--

I was waiting for the argument regarding guns. Totally different issues and this is not the place to discuss. But to answer your question, yes guns are dangerous. 

That's where my opinion differs from yours.

let's just agree that we disagree........Smiley

absent:

These people should analyze the reasons that the 911R has such a good return.  Hint: almost all of the reasons are everything that the GT2 RS is Not:

Normally aspirated motorsport engine with dry sump and high redline.  Modeled and named after a rare 50 year old racing model.  Manual transmission only.  Numbered Limited Edition with plaque.  Built for driving pleasure, not best specifications.  Thought to be the last or one of the last cars of its type, etc...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

The hype for driving pleasure in the 911R 

I beg to differ. The 991 is just way too big. Every 911 up to 993 will have more driving pleasure than a 911R. 

I spent the weekend driving to and back from my track, 600 miles, in my Turbo 3.6. That was fun through the mountains.  Speed wasn't too high, heck it was a lot slower than I would have done in any of my cars, Cayenne Turbo S included.

Then I jumped into my 911R. First thought, holy shit this car is huge! The car is much wider and I actually had to look and check when parking. It simply doesn't have the charm of a air cooled 911 period. 

Yes the power is nice, but it is so powerful and fast that I can't stay on the gas for long. 

Yes the shifter is SUPER nice, I enjoyed using it very much, wish the same shifter is in the Turbo 3.6

That's about it. 

Mind you, I don't mind going out in the 911R, but I just wish the hype would die down and make the car less valuable so I can drive it more. 

--

Whoopsy:

I didn't say I necessarily agreed with it, but that is the marketing spin for the car from Porsche (tactility and nimbleness over brute force - the opposite marketing spin from the GT2 RS).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Whoopsy:

I beg to differ. The 991 is just way too big. Every 911 up to 993 will have more driving pleasure than a 911R. 

I spent the weekend driving to and back from my track, 600 miles, in my Turbo 3.6. That was fun through the mountains.  Speed wasn't too high, heck it was a lot slower than I would have done in any of my cars, Cayenne Turbo S included.

Then I jumped into my 911R. First thought, holy shit this car is huge! The car is much wider and I actually had to look and check when parking. It simply doesn't have the charm of a air cooled 911 period. 

Yes the power is nice, but it is so powerful and fast that I can't stay on the gas for long. 

Yes the shifter is SUPER nice, I enjoyed using it very much, wish the same shifter is in the Turbo 3.6

That's about it. 

Mind you, I don't mind going out in the 911R, but I just wish the hype would die down and make the car less valuable so I can drive it more. 

Stupid question: If you had to live with one sports car only, ignoring the 918, which car would that be? I am curious.

--

Nick, where are you on that Singer?

agreed (on suspension settings), thanks!

RC:
    Whoopsy:

That's about it. 

Stupid question: If you had to live with one sports car only, ignoring the 918, which car would that be? I am curious.

My Huracan Spyder! surprised isn't it Smiley

--

SciFrog:

I like them, between all my buddies they together have like 12-13 of them. Some have multiples, like 3 going on 4.

But I don't like them enough to actually pay for one. 

I admire the details going into the car, the work being done, but, at the end of the day, it's an aftermarket hot rod, nothing more.

--

MKSGR:
    Herbaliser:

What a nonsense - sorry... Even if you had a 997 GT2RS with very low mileage the car would be no "jackpot in the lottery". You might still sell it for slightly above list price (the prices came down quite a bit) - but taking into account the opportunity cost of capital, the necessary maintenance cost to date etc. even the 997 GT2RS can hardly be called "a good investment".

And the GT2RS was produced in much smaller numbers (500 units), last edition of Mezger engine, last edition of manual etc....

Truth is: the 991 GT2RS is a great car if one loves the concept and how the GT2 models feel and drive. However, the McLaren 720s might be faster even on the track - we need tests to verify this. The GT2RS has the benefit of the doubt for the time being as I am convinced it will be super quick on the track and McLaren needs to proof that their suspension/ESP works better now.

The 991 GT2RS is surely no "jackpot in the lottery", reflecting on the above thoughts - although interested parties have an interest in making people believe otherwise Smiley If you buy it you should buy it as you like the drive feel of the GT2 models.

It seems that you haven't check the price of 997 GT2 RS lately. I suggest you do so before making such statements. The cheapest car on mobile.de is quoted at €300K, the average price for a 15k km car is €360K, low mileage cars are €500K.

The GT2 RS with it's limited availability is not for people that have to chose between it and some other car simply because they don't have to. 

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

I like them, between all my buddies they together have like 12-13 of them. Some have multiples, like 3 going on 4.

I admire the details going into the car, the work being done, but, at the end of the day, it's an aftermarket hot rod, nothing more.

Ever consider an original air-cooled RS or RSR (2.7RS, 2.8RSR, 911SCRS, 964RS, 993RS, etc)?  The Turbo 3.6 is an awesome car but weighs around 600kg more than my 73 for example...

Maybe those are too archaic for your taste?  If so, what about a 996 GT3 RS?

--

Herbaliser:
    MKSGR:
    Herbaliser:

It seems that you haven't check the price of 997 GT2 RS lately. I suggest you do so before making such statements. The cheapest car on mobile.de is quoted at €300K, the average price for a 15k km car is €360K, low mileage cars are €500K.

The GT2 RS with it's limited availability is not for people that have to chose between it and some other car simply because they don't have to. 

Regarding your first point: the cars on mobile.de have been offered for 12-18 months without being sold. The market price is as I mentioned, i.e.f you want to sell you have to sell at or slightly above list price.

Regarding your second point: it seems you might not have a good insight in how rich people think and act... Maybe things are different in parts of the world where money came quickly and also people are afraid that it might go away quickly as well. People who have been rich for longer times always make choices. Not because they have to but because they learned so during their upbringing and from their exposure to business life.

Grant:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Ever consider an original air-cooled RS or RSR (2.7RS, 2.8RSR, 911SCRS, 964RS, 993RS, etc)?  The Turbo 3.6 is an awesome car but weighs around 600kg more than my 73 for example...

Maybe those are too archaic for your taste?  If so, what about a 996 GT3 RS?

--

Always on the lookout for older cars, just haven't come across one that's right yet. Not in a hurry and I believe the right car will present itself.

--

Whoopsy:

Always on the lookout for older cars, just haven't come across one that's right yet. Not in a hurry and I believe the right car will present itself.

Excellent!  Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689553 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM