Crown

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

The fastest and most powerful road-approved 911 is ready for launch: The new Porsche 911 GT2 RS will celebrate its world premiere at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK (June 30 to July 2). At the heart of this high-performance sports car is a 515-kW (700-hp) biturbo flat engine. Weighing in at 1,470 kg with a full fuel tank, the lightweight two-seater accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 2.8 seconds. The rear-wheel drive Coupé has a top speed of 340 km/h, and with its near-motorsport drive technology, the new 911 GT2 RS trumps its 3.6-litre predecessor by 59 kW (80 hp) and achieves a torque of 750 Newton metres (an increase of 50 Nm).

The engine builds on that in the 911 Turbo S at 427 kW (580 hp). In order to increase performance, large turbochargers push an increased volume of process air into the combustion chambers. A new additional cooling system delivers optimum cooling at peak loads and, at very high temperatures, sprays the charge-air cooler with water. This causes the gas temperature to fall in the overpressure range and ensures optimum power output, even under extreme conditions. The customised GT seven-speed double-clutch transmission (PDK) in the new GT2 RS enables power to be transferred with uninterrupted traction. What’s more, the specially developed exhaust system is made from extra-lightweight titanium, weighs around seven kilograms less than the system used in the 911 Turbo and delivers an emotional sound without precedent.

For the first time ever, Porsche Design is celebrating the debut of the high-performance sports car by releasing a special-issue watch. Offering a nod to the world of motorsport, the 911 GT2 RS watch is exclusively available to owners of the new vehicle and can only be ordered in conjunction with the new GT model at a Porsche Centre from June 30, 2017.

Racing chassis for outstanding dynamic cornering

Discipline in sport means mastering every detail. And in the world of super sports cars, cornering speeds are on another level. The 911 GT2 RS reaches these speeds thanks to its flawless racing chassis with rear-axle steering and Ultra High Performance (UHP) tyres. Like all GT sports cars, the new top model features a specially calibrated PSM with a Sport mode that is tailored to provide optimal driving dynamics. Powerful air intakes and outlets and the imposing rear wing emphasise that the vehicle’s aerodynamics have mastered both form and design. The large, wide wheels (265/35 ZR 20 at the front and 325/30 ZR 21 at the rear) ensure outstanding braking and cornering forces. The 911 GT2 RS features Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) as standard. The front wings, wheel housing vents, outer shells on the Sport Design exterior mirrors, air intakes on the rear side sections and parts of the rear end are made from carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFR), as are many of the interior components. The bonnet is also made from carbon to make the vehicle as lightweight as possible, while the standard trim roof is made from magnesium. Both body parts have a wide lateral swage line.

Optional Weissach package with 30-kg weight saving

Performance can always be cranked up a notch – even on the 911 GT2 RS. That’s why the Porsche engineers have developed the optional Weissach package, which provides a weight saving of around 30 kilograms. The package includes additional elements made from carbon-fibre reinforced plastic and titanium. For instance, the roof and the anti-roll bars are made of carbon, and so are the coupling rods on both axles. Magnesium wheels reduce both the gross weight and the unsprung weight, providing a greater wealth of impressive chassis properties. The luggage compartment lid and the carbon-weave finish roof are emblazoned with a central strip in the same colour as the car for a visually distinctive look.

A truly sporty interior

The passenger compartment of the 911 GT2 RS is dominated by red Alcantara, black leather and interior parts with a carbon-weave finish as standard. The GT2 RS sports steering wheel with gearshift paddles enables quick and sporty gear changes. Drivers and passengers experience the driving dynamics of the high-performance sports car in full bucket seats with a carbon-weave finish. As in every 911, the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) is the central control unit for audio, navigation and communication. The Connect Plus module and Porsche Track Precision app are also included as standard, enabling detailed recording, display and analysis of driving data on a smartphone.

The optional Chrono Package expands the PCM functions to include performance display, which can be used to display, save and evaluate track times. The package also includes a stopwatch on the switch panel with both analogue and digital display. What's more, the Chrono Package on the 911 GT2 RS comes with a lap trigger. Using the Porsche Track Precision app in conjunction with external markers on a start/finish straight, this lap trigger enables drivers to record lap times with a high level of precision.

Exclusive watch to accompany the car: Porsche Design 911 GT2 RS Chronograph

Porsche Design has teamed up with Porsche Motorsport to develop the 911 GT2 RS Chronograph for customers of the new super sports car. It is reserved exclusively for 911 GT2 RS drivers. At its heart is the first clock movement developed by Porsche Design, the product of three years’ work. The calibre 01.200 includes a flyback function, a load-path-optimised movement bridge and an official COSC certificate of authenticity. The timepiece housing is made of lightweight titanium.

The flyback function is inspired by motorsport and represents a special feature of the Porsche watch. On a traditional chronograph, the buttons must be pressed three times in order to measure consecutive time intervals: The first press stops the chronograph, the second resets it and the third restarts the measuring process. On chronographs with a flyback function, these processes happen automatically and in rapid succession. The stop function and the ongoing time display are clearly separated using yellow markings. Many of the details on the timepiece are based on the high-performance sports car. The tungsten winding rotor is modelled on the rims of the 911 GT2 RS. The clock face is made of carbon, while the design of the time display matches the instrument cluster and the tachometer. The 911 GT2 RS and its watch counterpart are exclusively available at Porsche Centres worldwide. The vehicle and watch are produced individually in line with customer wishes and delivered together.

Official German price list: 911 GT2 RS Prices (PDF; 4,2 MB)

Specifications: Download

1499090340286gt21.png

P17_0662_a5_rgb.jpg
    P17_0663_a5_rgb.jpg
    P17_0579_a5_rgb.jpg
    P17_0581_a5_rgb.jpg
    P17_0577_a5_rgb.jpg
    P17_0665_a5_rgb.jpg

porsche-zoom-25.jpg
    porsche-zoom-26.jpg
    porsche-zoom-31.jpg
    porsche-zoom-23.jpg
    porsche-zoom-32.jpg
    porsche-zoom-24.jpg
    porsche-zoom-29.jpg
    porsche-zoom-30.jpg
    porsche-zoom-27.jpg
    porsche-zoom-28.jpg

porsche-zoom-34.jpg
    porsche-zoom-33.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

With PDK, Porsche will sell over 1,000 cars.

The current generation is way too easy to drive compared to the older 911's with a manual.

And it sounds horrible enlightened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgWz8rr0aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JniqsHxVDpI

The 700hp is a temporary *over-boost* (997 Turbo w/button) before you run out of tap water, kind of sad they can't offer a rock solid 700hp without b/s angry

This is what BiTurbo wrote in the last post of the old GT2 RS thread.

Maybe we should continue with this.  blush

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Of course the GT2 RS doesn't sound too great...VTG chargers...didn't expect anything else from them. Smiley

Right now, I'm not even sure on what engine the GT2 RS engine is based on. There is too little information available, which suggests that it is actually based on the 991.2 Turbo S engine. For me, this would be a disappointment but... Smiley

--

They said themselves that the engine is based on the 991.2 Turbo S, but with larger VTG turbos ect.

So essentially it is a GT3 RS with a souped-up TTS engine (with its "integrated dry sump" rather than the real thing...)

RC:

With PDK, Porsche will sell over 1,000 cars.

The current generation is way too easy to drive compared to the older 911's with a manual.

And it sounds horrible enlightened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgWz8rr0aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JniqsHxVDpI

The 700hp is a temporary *over-boost* (997 Turbo w/button) before you run out of tap water, kind of sad they can't offer a rock solid 700hp without b/s angry

This is what BiTurbo wrote in the last post of the old GT2 RS thread.

Maybe we should continue with this.  blush

The water is only in use if the ECU detects the intake temperature to be above a certain temperature. So it's actually not an "overboost". 

I had asked AP specifically about how long the water tank will last. His answer was that on a hot day at the Ring it will last 3 laps. So if someone is running the car at a cooler place where the intake temperature doesn't get above the threshold, the water tank could last forever as it won't even be called into action.

A hot day at the Ring is what? 25 degrees and up? 

So theoretically, say someone at a track day in say Silverstone in the summer, with ambient at 20 degrees or so, the water tank may not even be in use, or even if it is, it will likely last longer than a typical session time of 30 mins or so. 

--

olli:

They said themselves that the engine is based on the 991.2 Turbo S, but with larger VTG turbos ect.

So essentially it is a GT3 RS with a souped-up TTS engine (with its "integrated dry sump" rather than the real thing...)

OK, you know what I would love to say now but better shut up about it (if the above is correct, which I have no doubt it is because you are well informed). Smiley

At the same time, I have a different kind of (crazy?) idea though: What would have been the chance of customers being interested in a 700 hp Turbo RS with AWD?! Smiley Smiley 

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrc9gAFQAPA&app=desktop

See at 2m12 seconds...

photo389.jpg

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 993 RS -  991 GT3 RS

RC:
    olli:

OK, you know what I would love to say now but better shut up about it (if the above is correct, which I have no doubt it is because you are well informed). Smiley

At the same time, I have a different kind of (crazy?) idea though: What would have been the chance of customers being interested in a 700 hp Turbo RS with AWD?! Smiley Smiley 

YES!!!!!

Per the configuration, it would seems the Weissach package cars have a delayed availability, not going into production until Feb 4th 2018. Production of the GT2RS starts in Nov 2017.

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 10.29.02 AM.png

--

Porsche and their parts availability issues for the GT cars...if I ever meet AP, first question I will have is whether he will get me a carbon bucket seat since there was a stop order on them when my car was ordered.

pay $30K more for 30kg less- this fully defines  "less is more"

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:

pay $30K more for 30kg less- this fully defines  "less is more"

It makes sense from a collector/diehard hardcore Porsche fan point of view but personally, I would get the normal GT2 RS without the Weissach package. The 30 kg less won't make a difference in performance, unless you are Walter Röhrl. Smiley

--

but in resale it does - see 918

BjoernB:

This is why I wrote "from a collector...point of view". Smiley

I saw a couple of 918 with Weissach package recently and the more I looked at them, the less I liked them ("too much"). Despite the fact that they are apparently not available with the lift.  

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

I saw a couple of 918 with Weissach package recently and the more I looked at them, the less I liked them ("too much"). Despite the fact that they are apparently not available with the lift.  

according to the swiss configurator you can do weissach and lift

pmarkow:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

On the GT2 RS... Smiley

I also wonder how much a magnesium rim costs to replace, especially in a couple of years. Smiley

--

RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

On the GT2 RS... Smiley

I also wonder how much a magnesium rim costs to replace, especially in a couple of years. Smiley

--

ahhh yes sure

RC:

Smiley

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU918MAG.html

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

TB993tt:
    RC:

Smiley

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU918MAG.html

Almost 20% rebate though...only 42k, a bargain. Smiley No tires though. Smiley Smiley

--

Talked to my (German) dealer, demand for the GT2 RS is extremely high. Apparently, 918 owners have best chances to get one, also it seems that in Germany, there is a regional "restriction" in place, so people cannot buy from outside that specific region. No selling to foreigners!

Another restriction: Car order needs to be "approved" by Porsche (based on suggestions from dealers of course and their buying history from that particular dealer) and it is "tied" to a specific name/address. The car needs to be registered to that specific name/address for at least a year (not sure if you can just buy the car and not register it) after which you can sell it (if you want to). No restrictions regarding leases, financing or buying the car, you can buy it instantly.

This certainly makes it more difficult for speculators but these people always find a way. 

Some dealerships in Germany apparently received a couple of hundreds(!) of requests for a GT2 RS, so it won't be easy to get one.

--

Lol, and all that demand for only 3 days... angel

Boyko23:

Lol, and all that demand for only 3 days... angel

Yep...crazy.

--

i just talked to the biggest austrian PZ. they have 25 pre-contracts - signed by serious people - and no idea (until the end of june) how many cars they will get. they expect some of them to still drop out of the queue, maybe one third. but the usually very well informed salesman told me that he expects the PAG to do a final counting of seriously interested buyers in a month or so and then decide on the production number, which according to him could be up to 5-8K units. 

pmarkow:

i just talked to the biggest austrian PZ. they have 25 pre-contracts - signed by serious people - and no idea (until the end of june) how many cars they will get. they expect some of them to still drop out of the queue, maybe one third. but the usually very well informed salesman told me that he expects the PAG to do a final counting of seriously interested buyers in a month or so and then decide on the production number, which according to him could be up to 5-8K units. 

This is crap... Smiley

--

RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

On the GT2 RS... Smiley

--

I already spec mine with Weissach and lift. Now waiting for Exclusive to get back on me on a few items.

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

On the GT2 RS... Smiley

--

I already spec mine with Weissach and lift. Now waiting for Exclusive to get back on me on a few items.

GT2 RS? Of course, no problem.

--

More rumors: Since the GT2 RS isn't supposed to be limited, there will be another batch of production slots available once Porsche knows what to expect initially. Car will be built until July 2018 or so...

So please don't stop looking for one if you badly want one, it might still happen...

Similar situation to the 991.1 GT3 RS (I told you that there is going to be another batch of production slots and it happened...). Do not expect 5-8k cars though, not going to happen.

--

https://youtu.be/vbh1f3aWtq0

--

Less than 1000 cars will be made. Dealers are already getting calls from"clients" willing to pay EUR 100K above list price. So unless you are a 918 owner, forget about the GT2.  All that talk about 5k units is complete bullshit. 

Herbaliser:

Less than 1000 cars will be made. Dealers are already getting calls from"clients" willing to pay EUR 100K above list price. So unless you are a 918 owner, forget about the GT2.  All that talk about 5k units is complete bullshit. 

This is bullshit as well. Smiley Unless Porsche doesn't get more than 1000 orders (which I highly doubt).

I'd say 1000-1500 this year and maybe another 1000, maybe more next year. Smiley

If a German dealer would accept 100k above list price, he could kiss his Porsche dealership good-bye. Just saying...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662534 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401288 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229249 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59627 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762004 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM