Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Chef: Order In! (Long)

The time has finally come. Last week I placed an order for a 997 GT3, a dream come true!!!

Like many people here, I have long awaited the time I would own a 911. My obsession started at a young age thanks to my Aunt. She had a mid 70's 911 Targa, metallic tan with tan interior. When she would come to visit, I would go out after dinner and just sit in the car for hours. I spent much of my childhood making models of every conceivable Porsche model: 911's coupes and cabs, 935's, 956's 962's etc. I went as far as going to the local Porsche dealer to take pictures of the cab mechanism to reconstruct my own 911 cab model.

Fast forward to 2003. I finally escape 26 years of school and post-graduate training, time for a Porsche. Actually, it was my then fiancée who brought up the idea. I guess she didn't think the VW Jetta was quit as sexy. At that time 996's were out of my price range, and being 6'4"-235 the earlier 911's were a little cozy for a daily driver. So I bought a 968 (actually has more room than the 997's). I found a 1994 Polar Silver/Grey cab in Atlanta with only 22K miles and well documented history. What a memory, leaving Atlanta at sunrise, top down, cruising down I-75 with The Cure blaring on the radio.

My 968 has served me well that last 3 years, however I have more than doubled the mileage on the car. Not to mention the 12-year old AC has a little difficulty keeping up with South Florida's summer heat. About a year ago, my wife and I decided it was time for a 911 coupe to replace the 968 cab's daily driver status. The market for 996's was certainly a buyers market. While looking we fell in love with Cobalt Blue and became clear the next Porsche in our family would be Cobalt. To complicate matters, my father-in-law has always had 911's with spoilers: 911SC, 80's Turbo look etc. So to my wife's eyes, a 911 without a spoiler is naked. We actually found a used 2003 996, Cobalt with the GT3 aerokit. Unfortunately, it had a rough life.

At this point we had given up on finding another 996 and decided buy a new 997. But by the time you take a C2S and start add up the fun options: Aerokit, sport seats, short shifter, sport muffler, aftermarket springs to drop the ride height, the price can quickly broach 100K. When the details of the new GT3 started to leak out, I was instantly sucked in. Aero package, sport seats, short shifter, sport muffler, factory lowered, not to mention a race bread engine and transmission; you can see where this is going. Then came a unexpected blessing, a new job, in the same small town with all the right perks. All the pieces came together at the right time. The blessings continued, an 07 build slot, from an in-state dealer, honest enough not to mark up a unique car. So, here are the details:

56 Cobalt Blue Metallic
    78 Black Full Leather
    CO2 US Standard/Emissions
    P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
    810 Floor Mats - Interior Color
    XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
    490 Sound Package Plus
    P12 Self-Dim Mirrors and Rain Sensor
    CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
    EZA Interior Package Carbon (Shifter, Handbrake, Trim Strip)
    XTV Door Finishers in Leather
    CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
    X69 Carbon Door Sill Mdl Insignia
    XME Rear Ctr Cons Painted Extr Clr
    CDR Belt Outlet B Pillar Ext Clr
    CGA Headlight Cleaner Cvr Ext Clr

Build date is supposedly December 12, so should have the car by late January/early February. It's going to be a long two months!

As a long time lurker, I would like to thank everybody here for their insight. I spend way too much time on these forums, but when the opportunity came to act on the new car, the knowledge gained over the last two years made the decision crystal clear.

And before people ask, yes I plan to get the car on the track. I have very limited track experience, but living 2 hours away from Daytona, Sebring, and Homestead that will change soon. That, I believe, is the true beauty of the GT3. I could easily spend the next 10 years practicing and still not completely tap the full ability of this car!

Re: Chef: Order In! (Long)

She's going to be BEAUTIFUL! Have you seen pictures of a Cobalt blue GT3 yet? If not, then I'd be happy to post some for you. Of course I'm biased, my Turbo is Cobalt blue!

Were you also not able to get the bucket seats? I know that it's not available in the states but wasn't 100% sure about that.

Cobalt Rules! It was the only option set in stone. I do have some pictures of Cobalt GT3 that was delivered in Belgium, as well as a factory car that was photographed at LeMans this year. It looks wonderful as expected.

The bucket seats are not available in the US due to new airbag regulations. I don't think I would have wanted them for daily duty anyway. I expect something like the Recaro Pro Racer will get used for track days. I certainly like the added head and neck protection from the newer racing shells.

Congrats and welcome
    That's going to be one beautiful car

Quote:
    loki_ut said:I do have some pictures of Cobalt GT3 that was delivered in Belgium

Congratulations! Small question though: did you decide NOT to include heated seats? not sure where you live, but it's a nice option to have in the dead of winter.

Well done congratulations, this is going to be a dream car (mine anyway!) Good luck with the wait !

Good choice but I would stick with alcantara as it makes the car that bit more special...

also get the rear consul in leather. wears betters..

Cigarette_1: So you're the one with the Blue Beauty! I have four pictures of your car that I found floating around cyberspace. They have been in steady rotation on my desktop since I found them. In fact, when I sent a few e-mails to friends about my order, I included pictures of your car so they knew what it would look like! PS: If you have any more pics, I would love to have hi-rez copies.

Le Chef: I live in South Florida. Not much use down here for heated seats. In fact, I look forward to every 'Winter' so I can finally put the top down on the 968 without baking. Now if I was in Chicago, it would be a no brainer! (I spent four years in Hyde Park, boy that wind is cold)

TEE1: If you are refering to option CDZ, it does not change the Alcantara on the shifter, only adds some leather trim in front of it. Helps to tie the leather on the center console to the shift boot. Regarding the rear console, my original plan was to add that option and use deviated blue stitching throughout. However, the deviated blue they are using for 997's is dark blue. Didn't seem that it would contrast enough. So, went with the painted console to living things up.

excellent option list... it's nice to see someone not choosing white !!! I chose white :-) hehehe

Hi Loki...
    Sounds like a great p-car you've put together. Congratulations.
    I liked your sentimental post,...I too grew up always wanting a Porsche....the first I ever drove was a 930. I've now had my first p-car for almost a year and am still grinning!

Loki

Congrats on the new car. I understand the term "delayed gratification" very well. Enjoy and be safe.

Quote:
    loki_ut said:
    What a memory, leaving Atlanta at sunrise, top down, cruising down I-75 with The Cure blaring on the radio.

Congrats!

Quote:
    loki_ut said: Regarding the rear console, my original plan was to add that option and use deviated blue stitching throughout. However, the deviated blue they are using for 997's is dark blue. Didn't seem that it would contrast enough. So, went with the painted console to living things up.

Your car will definitely be a "Looker". I've run into the same deviated stitching problem on my order, Midnight Blue doesn't contrast enough. Did you try to get other choices in blue? I'm wondering if Porsche is limiting the choices for US cars. I've currently got my salesperson exploring the possibilities.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Quote:
    loki_ut said: Regarding the rear console, my original plan was to add that option and use deviated blue stitching throughout. However, the deviated blue they are using for 997's is dark blue. Didn't seem that it would contrast enough. So, went with the painted console to living things up.

Your car will definitely be a "Looker". I've run into the same deviated stitching problem on my order, Midnight Blue doesn't contrast enough. Did you try to get other choices in blue? I'm wondering if Porsche is limiting the choices for US cars. I've currently got my salesperson exploring the possibilities.

Funny, I saw your other posts about the deviated stitching as was about to ask you the same thing. When the dealer tired to put the order in eDocs, it only gave him 'Midnight Blue' as an option. My build date is Dec 12, so at this point I doubt it can be changed. I did send an e-mail to the Exclusive department representitive listed on the US Porsche website. No answer yet. So, I'm guessing no 'extra' choices. I really was a bummer. The contrast blue in the 996 model was quite bright and would have worked well.

Found some pictures dealer sent when our car just came in ;

If you have any thoughts of getting the car on the track with PCA much easier and less expensive to order the fir extinguisher with the car. Just a thought.

WOW

By the way, is that the standard stitching? It looks 'light' to me. I think it looks great.

Yes, standard stitching
    Looks "light" because of the flash I think

Allright, thats what I'm talking about! More desktop pictures to help the next month pass by. (Lastest update: may have car by Jan 1!)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781621 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442763 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263447 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261829 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85932 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5971 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881597 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819434 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM