Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bye bye Boxster, hello GT3!!!

Ok, so this isn't the best photograph I've ever taken but my trusty mobile phone came in handy yesterday when I took the plunge and bought a 2003 Mk2 Porsche GT3.

The last year with the Boxster has been fantastic and have provided a great introduction to Porsche motoring. For some reason I can't explain and although I'd had a few teething problems with the Boxter and warranty problems, I seem to have a total addiction to the Stuttgart brand. Although the Boxster was actually built in Finland!

Over the past 2 months I have been completely addicted to anything GT3 - a car I only really took notice of a couple of months ago. Having 240 horses in the Boxster, a jump up to 381 is quite a prospect, as is the total lack of traction control on the new 996. The car is a beautiful 2003 "Comfort" spec with the essential AC and fantastic bucket seats. The test drive scared the pants off me but to be honest but after my recent run-in with a speed camera van my progress was a little calm compared with usual.

Now it's not a dayglo orange car or even "Viper Green" but a very simple artic silver colour. I just dont know, there is something nice about a fast, understated car, well except for the large "ironing board" type spolier on the rear.

So there it is, 1 week away and I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. What a great Xmas pressie this will make!!!

Re: Bye bye Boxster, hello GT3!!!

Let me be the first to congratulate you to your choice. I'd say you took the logical step upwards. Make sure to reserve enough tracktime for the upcoming year and take it slow until then.

Looking forward to more pics, as soon as you hold a real camera in your hands.

Congrats Steve Look forward to more "Steve R" pics

Great moove !!!
    I guess you will have a great time driving and learning to master that beast in the next few month.
    Is that your daily driver?

Great move Steve!
    Congratulations!
    Drive it with care and respect, 381hp on the scottish winter roads can be a handful!

Ow steve, how awesome!
    Konwing your photographing skills, I can only say that I really look forward to the moment you'll have your cam and your car!
    -Joost-

Sooooooo excited!!! Woke up this morning and first thing I thought about was "I'm getting a GT3"!!!!!

I'm going to take it very easy, yes and book plenty of trackdays. First will be some driver training I think - one-to-one on the track. I've driven most current Porsches over the past year but it's a big step up from 240hp for me! Very careful, slowly, slowly!! Did a Caterham drift school a few months back and it really got me interested in doing some track stuff (even though that was in a carpark at Silverstone)! I was supposed to be drifting but I found myself trying to get the best line and time which really wasnt the point of the day!

Yes, those Scottish roads... Very slippy at this time of year especially with no TC! It's not my daily driver as I bought a Seat Altea for that but I can see it being used as much as the Boxster was

And the photos.......... there will be one or two and that rear spoiler will make a great mount for taking pics like this...

Congratulations and Happy Xmas!

Let us know all about it, whether you miss the soft top, and if it has cup holders - I saw a similar one in a Sainsbury's supermarket once and the owner had a coca-cola bottle in a cup holder... nice useful touch for such a car!

I think I will miss the soft-top big time, particuarly in summer.....

But I've hankered after a 911 since 1989 when someone bought me this for Xmas.... 17 years later and...

Congratulations. Soft top or not, I'm sure you're going to love every second of it. I'm looking forward to your pictures.

Great move, Steve!

I'm sure you'll forget about the soft top in no time.

Just be careful...the GT3 is a COMPLETELY different beast. We want to keep you longer lurking around Rennteam.com...take care and safe motoring.

That's a very good point!!! As the guy at my local Porsche dealer said "it's like a very hairy TVR"!!!

Caution will be applied judiciously......!!

Off in an hour for my final 450 mile drive in the Boxster to drop it off at the dealer - pick up the car Tuesday!!!!

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    That's a very good point!!! As the guy at my local Porsche dealer said "it's like a very hairy TVR"!!!

Caution will be applied judiciously......!!

Off in an hour for my final 450 mile drive in the Boxster to drop it off at the dealer - pick up the car Tuesday!!!!

It has to be a GREAT sensation Steve !!!!

From a boxster to a 996gt3mk2 , that is going to be a very interesting article between both cars!!!

Congratulations Steve !!!! or I should say rennteam Official Photographer!!!!!???

what a beast!!!!, and as Rc said, stay safe with that beast!!!!!!!

Congratulations man!!!!!

Congrats. I too worry I will seriously miss the drop top should I move on to a GT3, but I have been playing with doing it for a while.

Box is gone tomorrow!! Looking forward to comparing the difference!!!

Great video here comparing it with an appropriate Ferrari!

You Tube GT3 v's Ferrari!

that has to be one of the best 996 gt3 mk2 videos I have seen

STILL!!!!!! I havent find out what exhaust system is equipped that GT3.

Have you guys listened to that sound???, you can hear it inside the f430 ....that is insane!!. And the fly by..., you only hear GT3 sound !!!!!

its incredible !!!

what a car steve !

again congrats buddy!!!

Congratulations! I started with a 986S (still have it, lovely car) and the transition is quite amazing!

Drive it in good health, mabye will see you at a Le Mans or a nurburgring trackday!

Love that video especially when the guy says "I really like this Porsche!"

Will be trying to get to Le Mans next year and Nordschleife will be a must do when I get some experience with the car! A big part of getting this car is that I want to start doing some track days - Just got insured for unlimted trackdays... I did a drift driving day at Silverstone the other month and although it was pouring down I just loved it!

Not sure whether to fit a rollcage - any thoughts?

Steve when are you taking delivery!!!!!!!????

cant wait to read your comments and see your photographs, (not pics)

Re: Bye bye Boxster, hello GT3!!! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Steve R

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Steve when are you taking delivery!!!!!!!????

cant wait to read your comments and see your photographs, (not pics)

Tuesday matey!

That's it, the end of my Porsche Boxster experience. I drove down from Edinburgh yesterday, stayed in Hamsptead last night and dropped the Boxster off at Bournemouth OPC today.

I didn't expect to feel so sad on the final drive which was slightly restrained as 3 points are currentky winging their way towards my vintage paper license. It's been a fun time with this, the most recent and reliable of my Boxsters.

It started with a Seal Grey/Grey car which as most of you know was replaced as it was faulty with a Seal/black 987 2.7. The latter was a great car, only needing one thing fixed and replaced under warranty - the complete roof system - but which led to my current rear-engined purchase as a week with a 997 opens your eyes(and unfortunately wallet) to a whole new world...

It's a sad day, officially a non-Porsche owner for 3 days when again I'll be runited with a car and brand I seem to have a complete passion for, my Porsche GT3...

I can't wait!

Hope you find a nice new owner....

Congratulations Steve!

now is the right time and price for gt3 mk2 !but not very useful for winter !that why i didnt make a moved!

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    Sooooooo excited!!! Woke up this morning and first thing I thought about was "I'm getting a GT3"!!!!!

Tomorrow is your big day, I bet you won't sleep much tonight
    Many congrats to you on getting the GT3 - I guess after you've enjoyed the sharp handling of your Boxster anything less than the GT3 wouldn't satisfy you
    Play it safe and don't forget to post some of the famous Steve R pics

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Steve R said:

Tomorrow is your big day, I bet you won't sleep much tonight
    Many congrats to you on getting the GT3 - I guess after you've enjoyed the sharp handling of your Boxster anything less than the GT3 wouldn't satisfy you
    Play it safe and don't forget to post some of the famous Steve R pics

Just made a brief break from studying to give you good luck tomorrow !!

Enjoy it BUT dont forget to post how was your experience !!!

chin chin

Thanks guys!!!!!

Sooooooo looking forward to it! Feel like a kid again!!

The Boxster was great and to be honest if I got a Box S instead of a 2.7 I probably never would have changed.

The thought of the GT3 fills me with anticipations and apprehention - there may be snow and rain on tomorrow's 450 mile trip!!

I've made my 5 CD's to keep me going for the trip and I have my fingers crossed that the engine noise is so loud I wont be able to hear any of the tracks!!

I've even planned a few additions - rollcage and harnesses, not to mention driver training as I want to keep this car as long as possible!!!

Here's to a sleepless night!!

Congratulations on the greatest car men can buy!!!
    It must be a dream to have a car like that in Scotland, I hear the roads are amazing there!!

Don't hesitate to bore us all with tons and tons of pictures and impressions

I picked up the car yesterday!!!!

Will post back later with some info!!! Just about to go for a drive

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688486 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408677 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255514 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234758 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65376 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857551 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773317 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM