Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

steering wheels 997 turbo

Anybody have any suggestions on a new wheel to replace the super thin MF? So far the best I have found is the Techart - being the most original looking. I just received my TT and now looking at how to personalise - exhaust, pedals and steering wheel.

Re: steering wheels 997 turbo

Why not get the MF with the thicker wheel? I ordered that option and will post a pic once the car comes in if you can wait that long.

I only found out about the thicker MF wheel later and it was too late to add it as an extra. Porsche will not supply it as an after market because it's made in the hand made division

Quote:
    cortonpark said:
    I only found out about the thicker MF wheel later and it was too late to add it as an extra. Porsche will not supply it as an after market because it's made in the hand made division

Of course you can get it as an aftermarket item, unfortunately they don't accept taking in the old one, so this is going to be a pretty expensive experience.

Techart is OK to go with, just make sure you order a variant WITHOUT the Techart logo (looks odd).

I agree about the logo and they say they can remove it. But if Porsche can do it then thats better...as for expensive, well that seems to be something I'm getting used to with Porsche (this is my second Porsche to date)!! And I'm taking your advice to fit a Cargraphic exhaust - very helpful when I rang them - and their pedals look good too - any thoughts?

Personally I like the Techart wheel without the logo even more than the thicker porsche wheel. The Techart wheel is even thicker and well styled.

ok so now its complicated! Porsche or Techart?? This is a tough one - the Techart is more sporty looking but do you know if the quality is up to it? The last thing I would need is a wheel that looks like it should be on a kit car! Porsche you know what you are getting but RC described the Techart as "ok" which may not be the best recommendation!

I had the same questions about the Techart wheel until I saw them in person. Top notch and way thick enough, even better than the one in my e46 M3 which I love. I'm just wrapping my head around a $1,400 steering wheel (with core exchange). Without logo is the way to go.

It is what it is! My dislike of the skinny wheel is what I have to think about when I cut them a check! And I suspect that the Porsche wheel is even more...

After about 3.5 years I did get used to the skinny wheel in my 996...but it took 3.5 years! And when I ordered the Turbo it was the first option I looked to change.

I had the opportunity to sample multiple factory steering wheel options from Porsche and truthfully, none of them comes even close to the overall thickness/feel of the Techart version. The "thicker" spoke on the sport steering wheel feels good for a factory wheel but once you've sampled the Techart version, there's simply no going back. I was absolutely sold when I first saw the Techart version during my Techart visit last summer. I ordered mine when I got back to Seattle and two months later this arrived:

The quality is first rate and feels absolutely OEM to me. The only downside is however the fact that Techart didn't use the same color stitching as OEM so be sure to note that you want the factory colored grey stitching, the proper leather type and to leave the Techart logo off. Looks OEM to me.

Here's how it looks in my car.

looks great. I've been looking at the triangle airbag model multi function wheel all leather. The Rennteam from the US favour the Techart, the Euro Rennteam Porsche...I think I'm going to take the plunge, quiz Axel at Techart and go with his wheel. Will post pics when it's on. Any thoughts about exhausts or pedals?

Not sure about the pedals. I like the stock ones.

The exhaust system, I'm going with the sport version from cargraphic along with the larger oval rolled tips.

I've heard alot of good things about the Cargraphic and the chrome pipes "look right" compared to the oversized OEM pipes. It's at the top of my list at the moment.

I understand what you are saying about the pedals but I really want to do something about the foot rest and it's tough to change that without changing the pedals - do you know if Porsche do an aftermarket in the same style as the pedals?

Congrats on your car. Nice town you live in, by the way.

Quote:
    cortonpark said:
    [...] I understand what you are saying about the pedals but I really want to do something about the foot rest and it's tough to change that without changing the pedals - do you know if Porsche do an aftermarket in the same style as the pedals?

They do, as far as I'm concerned it should be no hassle to retrofit this item:

The picture of the footrest can be ordered with the original factory order or aftermarket from Porsche. The code is XXZ and is named "footrest in sports look aluminum". Cost with order is $250 U.S.
    Good luck with your car!

atomic80 it is damn cool .... i like it very much ... how much did u get this Techart steering wheel .and how long does it take to get it . does it all come with carbon ? thanks

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I had the opportunity to sample multiple factory steering wheel options from Porsche and truthfully, none of them comes even close to the overall thickness/feel of the Techart version. The "thicker" spoke on the sport steering wheel feels good for a factory wheel but once you've sampled the Techart version, there's simply no going back. I was absolutely sold when I first saw the Techart version during my Techart visit last summer. I ordered mine when I got back to Seattle and two months later this arrived:

The quality is first rate and feels absolutely OEM to me. The only downside is however the fact that Techart didn't use the same color stitching as OEM so be sure to note that you want the factory colored grey stitching, the proper leather type and to leave the Techart logo off. Looks OEM to me.

Here's how it looks in my car.

There are several versions available. The cheapest being the all leather type. I chose to get the leather/carbon version which is their most expensive version at about $1989 USD. They can do it for both the circular and the triangle versions. It took me about 2 months to get it but I suspect that it won't take nearly as long now.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    cortonpark said:

Of course you can get it as an aftermarket item, unfortunately they don't accept taking in the old one, so this is going to be a pretty expensive experience.

Techart is OK to go with, just make sure you order a variant WITHOUT the Techart logo (looks odd).

I'm in the same boat.....here is what my dealer quoted to change from the MF, to the thicker MF.....

Change out to the Thicker Leather Steering Wheel
    Steering Wheel Part Number: 997.347.980.00 T24 Cost: $1,825.19
    Airbag Part Number: 997.803.089.17 T24 Cost: $ 753.58
    Labor Part Number: DNA (1.5 hrs) Cost: $ 150.00 (est)

I did not check into why the airbag module was different.....never the less, nothing to sneeze at.

Well, there are two versions..one is the circular sport wheel which is what I have or the other is the triangle version either with or without the multi-function buttons. This might be why they added the airbag module. You might be going from one to the other.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Well, there are two versions..one is the circular sport wheel which is what I have or the other is the triangle version either with or without the multi-function buttons. This might be why they added the airbag module. You might be going from one to the other.

After seeing Jasons I ordered one as well. My interior is Sand Beige. I have a multifunction Triangular Wheel. Hope to have it in a couple of weeks. I will post when it gets here. TechArt Body Kit should arrive around the same time.

After fondling Atomic80's wheel and finding out that the Porsche "thicker wheel" @ 310 USD wasn't much thicker than the stock wheel, I too ordered a Techart all leather wheel without logo (Techart type 2 w/leather) @ $1659 + $30 shipping and $112.50 installation. There is a $600 refundable core charge. IMHO an all carbon wheel might be to slippery in "sweaty hands" conditions. Atomic80's wheel came out just right for the carbon look. About the only thing that could feel better would be a pair of 38 D cups.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    After fondling Atomic80's wheel and finding out that the Porsche "thicker wheel" @ 310 USD wasn't much thicker than the stock wheel, I too ordered a Techart all leather wheel without logo (Techart type 2 w/leather) @ $1659 + $30 shipping and $112.50 installation. There is a $600 refundable core charge. IMHO an all carbon wheel might be to slippery in "sweaty hands" conditions. Atomic80's wheel came out just right for the carbon look. About the only thing that could feel better would be a pair of 38 D cups.

In LA it would be 34 D

Bigger is better! Great for face plants.

I'm going to call Porsche this morning. I suspect that $250 is going to be closer to $800 as an aftermarket. But it looks great!

I'm going to call Porsche today. If any of you have a chance to drive in Portugal - do it! Some of the newest roads in Europe, deserted and mountain roads only ever seen in the movies!! Definately one of the last undiscovered driving destinations of Europe.

Quote:
    cortonpark said:
    I'm going to call Porsche today. If any of you have a chance to drive in Portugal - do it! [...]

Did it already and share your opinion. Great roads, quite often surrounded by marvellous scenery. On the other hand not many things come close to Portuguese driving styles on country roads.

Yes they have a unique driving technique on country roads...for that matter they have a unique style on any road!!

Atomic80,
    In case of tt with tip-s, can I get TechArt circular sport wheel with multi func btns ?

Yep, of course you can. That's their "type 2" steering wheel. Contact Mark at CEC and he'll help you out with that. Make sure that you note that you want the multi-function steering wheel with the proper leather, grey stitching (or colored if you have it) and to leave the Techart logo off.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778003 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442006 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262931 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261170 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5684 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816400 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM