Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayenne FACELIFT: First official Pictures and data!!!

Quote:
    RC said:

I'm not sure however if this facelift helps the Cayenne to achieve better sales figures.
    Why not? Well, the Cayenne still weights too much, is still consumes too much fuel (especially the Turbo) and the missing Diesel is a real dealbreaker in most european countries, especially in Germany.

I like how the facelift looks alike but considering the low resale value of my Cayenne Turbo (high fuel consumption, high theft rate, etc.) in Germany, I definetely won't sell my Turbo Powerkit to get the facelifted Turbo.
    As a new buyer, I'm not sure I would go for the facelift since in 2-3 years, a completely new Cayenne generation should be ready, rumors indicate a launch after the Panamera introduction.

That said, I'm a little bit disappointed with the facelift.
    On the other hand, I don't think that anybody really is surprised that Porsche uses the same "old" facelift strategy, something I actually don't like about Porsche.
    A facelift should only include minor changes and changes under the hood, this facelift however is a major change.

This evening, I'll post a picture with the new and old Cayenne one next to each other for comparison. You'll understand very fast what I mean.

The next family car will definetely be something else.

I agree with you RC. Why didn't porsche incorporate the VTG in the Caynne turbo? This is pretty much the power kit Cayenne.

I have a feeling in the U.S. it may initially sale ok but sales won't come from Porsche fans since they all know there is not much of a difference.

In the U.S. families with 2 or more kids usually tend towards Caddy Escalade and Chevy Suburban and so forth and as to younger SUV lovers there are many other options that design wise are more appealing IMO.

I hope Porsche will take over AUDi so they can only concentrate on their bread and butter 911.

Here the official Web-Special:

http://www.porsche.com/all/momentum/germany.aspx

The downloads section(wallpapers) doesn't work.

I am not very impressed with facelift. Yes, I agree with you that now car looks better, but what about performance and fuel consumption? Much better then before(specially Turbo version. I bet that normal new CT is not faster then your Kit version)? I do not think so...
    Also new 4.8L V8 is on the same level as X5 4.8i engine, but BMW V8 is still without DI. What will happened when BMW introduces new DI V8s and 3.0sd for X5? Again, there is no clear answer from Porsche.
    IMO, Cayenne in facelift version is technically better then previous version, but much better then competition(new X5, ML&GL, Range Rover-new V8 biturbo diesel)?
    Specially for the money... Base Cayenne with decent options is more expensive then Grand Cherokee SRT8 in Germany.
    Regarding new Q7 V12 TDI, forget about it. It will cost almost the same money as new CT... Better to buy S6 Avant(powerfull enough, good space, excellent AWD) for all year street driving.
    I am very interested to see how will new Cayenne hold on against really good competition on the market.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    I am very interested to see how will new Cayenne hold on against really good competition on the market.

Kreso,

I believe Porsche is banking on the first time buyers at this time. I'm sure they know people that own Cayenne won't trade up for the new ones.

Not sure about that... On my market(true, pretty small one) most CT buyers(leasing!!) will change their cars for new versions. Also, first time buyer who is buying base Cayenne... Better to buy new VW Passat R36 Variant! Same engine, better gearbox(DSG) and much cheaper. Of course, it is not Porsche. But, is base Cayenne a true Porsche(with VW/Audi engine)?
    BTW, Porsche will not buy Audi Group...

How do you know Porsche will not buy Audi? Any inside info?

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/11/28/afx3207925.html

Many thanks, but it doesn't mean they won't do it ... they just can't say it right now.

Quote:
    Sidney1 said:
    @SoCalHoosier

Glad that Porsche did 1 sec for the V6 but I'm disappointed about the 0.2 sec on the CS.

Even BMW 4.8i with only 355 hp and 475 NM did 0-100 in 6.5 sec - and that with automatic transmission

If 6.6 is not done by auto transmission the triptronic time will be about 7.0 sec : That's 0.5 sec slower than BMW with a more powerful engine build in than BMW

Porsche - what happened ?
    Gregor

The info my dealer sent me this morning says that the new Cayenne S is 6.6 secs 0->100kmh/62mph with manual box and 6.8 secs with tiptronic.

Martin

I'm not sure they need to buy Audi. If they have control over Volkswagen and this should happen soon, Audi can't withstand pressure from their "mother".

And like it or not: if you're looking at Audi and Lamborghini, I think that they already "adapted" their products a couple of years ago to make it easier for Porsche (Piech may be the key factor here).
    Look at the Audi Q7, look at the Gallardo, look at the RS models, look at the TT...wonderful cars but always slightly different (cheaper, more expensive, different power figure, different weight, etc.) than the Porsche competition.

I agree with you pretty much. In fact dealers network is allready prepared for such thing! Fusion between PAG and VAG is pretty posssible...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    I agree with you pretty much. In fact dealers network is allready prepared for such thing! Fusion between PAG and VAG is pretty posssible...

A FUSION will never ever happen.

Hmm... Take over then? Hostile or friendly?
    If it is hostile Piech family will not be very happy(I am talking about taking control over VW)...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Hmm... Take over then? Hostile or friendly?
    If it is hostile Piech family will not be very happy(I am talking about taking control over VW)...

30% or a tick more of VW is enough for Porsche.
    For now. It will be more interesting to see what happens to Bugatti and Lamborghini.

it looks much better, small changes.. but amkes it look lower in the videos..
    I think we can call them females now.. Shes beautiful!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    The new cars are looking stunning.

HP increase of the Cayenne is great, 8.1 sec from 0 to 100 km/h is fair enough for the six-pack. Think this car will attract many new buyers and old ML and X5 clients.

Thanks RC for fast information!

My pleasure.

Btw: I still think that the V6 isn't powerful enough to be a "true" Porsche but I also think you're right, it will sell much better now. However: a DIESEL is still missing and as much as I try to understand Porsche's decision against a Diesel Cayenne, I can't stop thinking about it.
    I'm a hardcore Porsche fanatic and I would really be interested in a Cayenne Diesel (how about a V10 Diesel with 400 HP or so? ) but Porsche apparently is afraid they "shock" their customers. I highly doubt it, I even think that a Diesel could help the Cayenne to sell much better, especially in Europe.

If Porsche does take over VW, they could adapt the Touareg V10TDI no?

That's a massive improvement, IMHO.
    A bit disappointed, however, not to see any new interior / exterior colours.
    Does anyone have any information re: new colour combos?

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    That stuff about greater axle articulation off-road was pretty interesting.

Thanks, RC. Interesting stuff, as always. Never one to be ashamed to be part of the tasteless minority, I don't see a single thing (front, back, you name it) here that I like better than the old version. Maybe when I see one in person, I'll change my mind. But that is just cosmetic stuff, anyway, and all too subjective. If it helps them sell to buyers who didn't like the old version, good for them. Like GM, I find the chassis mods very interesting, and would find the undescribed Tip mods equally interesting, if they add to the "sport" of the drive.

Hmmm ... I wonder what this Sport button's for ...

Thanks RC,

Very nice pics. I think that they have made an improvement on something that was already fantastic. Well done Porsche - I never doubted only the best out of Stuttgart.

I was first to criticize the car about its looks, now I want to say that it looks just nice. Better the turbo than the other versions.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    Hmmm ... I wonder what this Sport button's for ...

I've been thinking the Cayenne S and Turbo were just begging for a Sport Chrono button. The big question is whether the 2008 improvements would be enough to keep me from pushing the "PSM-Off" button almost every time I get in the truck, like I do now.

The sport button provides a more aggresive engine response and faster gear changes. It is described in the Porsche web special.

The S also gets optional sports exhaust which will hopefully cure one of my main criticisms of the previous version - anodyne engine note, esp when compared to 4.8 X5.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I do not find anything exiting about this face lift.
    It does look slightly more aggressive because of the thinner front lights, and it looks....new... That's it ! The back is nothing then a slight change, not better, not worse.

The power increase is good, the Cayenne S being now maybe more interesting then the Turbo ( cheaper, less fuel and fast enough for a family car)

But I don't think it will sell well enough in the next 2/3 years, it not new enough and the new X5 will be much better looking.

I have to change my wife's' X5... I don't know what to get yet.... need space for 3 children in the back... Cayennes s , don't think so. X5 diesel..maybe, Q7 V10..too big, GL... boring but maybe practical....

I think you may realize how much the design changed, when you see both cars next to each other. HUGE difference, believe me.

The new X5 actually looks like...the old one. There isn't much difference at first look. I like the new X3 3.0sd very much, it is the first Diesel car I would be interested in. Maybe the Q7 V12 Diesel too, don't know.

With three children, I would probably opt for the GL420 CDi, very powerful engine (V8 bi-turbo with 306 HP) and a lot of interior room.

Last weeek saw a test of X3 3.0D and the guys said it was an unbeliveble SUV, it will give hard work to a Cayenne turbo on the straights, and it will leave the Turbo in the dust when the turns come. They were amazed with general capacities shown by this litlle Bimmer.

J.Seven

@PSC

Sport exhaust as known from 997 with switchable flaps

That would be great

Please confirm

Best
    Greg

the turbos exhaust tips are taken from the R8

RC: Any ideas about new colours?

I want a GT Silver please....

New CT slower than the ML 63 AMG (5.1 vs 5.0) and same hp... Bad move for Porsche. Seriously, knowing how easy it is to tune the turbo engines, they should have gone the extra mile. Oh wait, this is Porsche... Always dissapointed somewhere, like with the 480hp/3,500lbs ratio for the 997TT.

As far as diesel Cayenne, I hope Porsche never does one. It would tarnish their image really bad. Don't forget Cayenne is not made for europe, it is made for the US and middle east where gas is cheap.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776824 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441566 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260845 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85122 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880562 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815716 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM